Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 9 of 10
Re: Goats Head Soup revisited
Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 10, 2013 16:36

DandelionPowderman
Glam Descendant
>the Stones didn't become funky on record till after the 1972

"Jiving Sister Fanny" sounds pretty funky to me.

It's a boogie, albeit played a bit more funky. It's not a funky rhythm.

Very cool, very tight, but nearly metronomish. I will copyright that word later.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: June 10, 2013 17:45

Marx Brothers/Rolling Stones

Monkey Business, Horse Feathers, Duck Soup, A Night at the Opera/
Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street

At the Circus/Goats Head Soup

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 10, 2013 17:55

Wry Cooter

Mick- Groucho

Keith- Chico

Charlie - Harpo

Bill- Zeppo

Mick T- Gummo?

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: June 11, 2013 05:07

loog droog
Wry Cooter

Mick- Groucho

Keith- Chico

Charlie - Harpo

Bill- Zeppo

Mick T- Gummo?

Ronnie is Margaret Dumont?

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 11, 2013 05:55

Thrylan
If you feel that MM, CYHMK and JSF are funky......go buy Mother ship Connection NOW! I might also suggest befriending a black person or two....I LOVE JSF, but that is just about as straightforward, 4/4 Rock and Roll as it gets. Listen to what Ronnie brought to Black and Blue and onward. A wah pedal doesn't make you funky. Listen to the Jimi Hendrix Experience V/S Band of Gypsies, it's clear.

Actually, everyone should just go buy mothership connection, regardless of whether they think jsf is funky :-)

The quality of the filler on Ghs was always a turn off for me. It's the first alb where the stones started to consciously pretend to be the stones rather than just being themselves. I've always put it and emotional rescue in the category of albums I listen to only because I'm a huge stones fan and not because they are great albums in their own right.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 11, 2013 06:25

Wry Cooter
loog droog
Wry Cooter

Mick- Groucho

Keith- Chico

Charlie - Harpo

Bill- Zeppo

Mick T- Gummo?

Ronnie is Margaret Dumont?

LOL!

Gotta love Margaret's interaction with Groucho. Here is their final appearance together, filmed for television eight days before her death!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 11, 2013 06:51

wee bobby lennox
"silver train might be the worst song ever"

your kidding, silver train with a you-tube video from 1973 of the stones on stage is a classic.

one of the most underrated songs ever.

Glad to see the misspelling of a commonly meant word wasn't just a fad.

Date: June 11, 2013 07:13

DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
Toru A

Keith Richards 1972 Kingston, Jamaica
photograph taken by Koh Hasebe

Hmmm...I thought that was from the early 1972, in Los Angeles, taken by Jim Marshall....
I still think so.

It is!

Well documented EXILE overdub sessions.

Date: June 11, 2013 08:12

sonomastone
Thrylan
If you feel that MM, CYHMK and JSF are funky......go buy Mother ship Connection NOW! I might also suggest befriending a black person or two....I LOVE JSF, but that is just about as straightforward, 4/4 Rock and Roll as it gets. Listen to what Ronnie brought to Black and Blue and onward. A wah pedal doesn't make you funky. Listen to the Jimi Hendrix Experience V/S Band of Gypsies, it's clear.

Actually, everyone should just go buy mothership connection, regardless of whether they think jsf is funky :-)

The quality of the filler on Ghs was always a turn off for me. It's the first alb where the stones started to consciously pretend to be the stones rather than just being themselves. I've always put it and emotional rescue in the category of albums I listen to only because I'm a huge stones fan and not because they are great albums in their own right.

Good analysis..... I like the rockers, but Angie is Angie, and I feel that Winter is too long and goes nowhere, CYHTM could have said what it was saying in about 1:30....DWMD is cool, dark. Heartbreaker, HYL and 100YA aren't classics. My faces are the clones, SF and ST.....and a very good Keith song.

Date: June 11, 2013 08:47

Coming down again is a great tune!

Date: June 11, 2013 09:14

Stuck my tongue in someone else's pie.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: June 11, 2013 09:37

Whenever I hear this album I get images of sun and snow because I got it on Christmas day 1973, it was sunny and there was snow on the ground (doesn't happen very often on Christmas day in the UK).

This is always a winter album for me (of course it has a track called winter as well).

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 11, 2013 15:21

GravityBoy
Whenever I hear this album I get images of sun and snow because I got it on Christmas day 1973, it was sunny and there was snow on the ground (doesn't happen very often on Christmas day in the UK).

This is always a winter album for me (of course it has a track called winter as well).

it's always august 14 at around 2:30 p.m. when i listen to this album.

Date: June 11, 2013 15:23

Dancing With Mr D is a good LP opener. It sets the tone for the LP - murky, funky, hazy and... a daze.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 11, 2013 15:24

GHS is a summer album for me - took my newly-bought CD on holiday to Cornwall and played it non-stop on the car stereo for a week, so it brings images of sand and waves and surfers.

Date: June 11, 2013 15:29

Coming Down Again
Angie
Can You Hear The Music

Those are my favourites from GHS.

Posted by: cn854 ()
Date: June 11, 2013 16:44

HIDE YOUR LOVE - Killer Taylor all over it....

Posted by: ChrisG ()
Date: June 11, 2013 18:24

I bought this album when I was in the eighth grade back in 1973. I still like most of it. Though, 100 Years Ago still plods along. I even like Can't You Here The Music now. Back then,ugh. I remember playing Star Star a little lower in volume and the cardboard poster drove good ole' Ma crazy along with Alice Cooper's poster from the Killer LP. Ah, yes the good old days.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: June 11, 2013 21:55

StonesTod
GravityBoy

it's always august 14 at around 2:30 p.m. when i listen to this album.

I admire your precision.

Date: June 12, 2013 04:03

Lester bangs summed up goats head soup best.

Posted by: UnionHall ()
Date: June 12, 2013 04:53

When I first played GHS I was immensely disappointed. After falling in love with Exile, I thought this was a poor follow up. For me there just wasn't enough rock on the album. However, after many years have passed, this to me is another classic album. Lots of different kinds of music on here, a variety that few of today's artists could duplicate and manage to make it listenable. Coming Down Again is one of my all time favorites, Winter is beautiful, and I can never get tired of hearing Star Star.

Date: June 12, 2013 09:28

DandelionPowderman
Coming Down Again
Angie
Can You Hear The Music

Surprised... we usually seem to agree sonically. I used to really dig Can you hear the music, but one day...I dunno, it became boring? Guess I need to revisit.

Date: June 12, 2013 09:49

Thrylan
DandelionPowderman
Coming Down Again
Angie
Can You Hear The Music

Surprised... we usually seem to agree sonically. I used to really dig Can you hear the music, but one day...I dunno, it became boring? Guess I need to revisit.

Yeah, it goes in waves, I guess. I used to enjoy Heartbreaker and 100 Years Ago, but I grew tired of them rather quickly. I'm also having a beef with the straight-forward rhythm guitar on Star Star. Silver Train leaves me cold - same with Dancing With Mr. D.

However, Can You Hear The Music really grew on me: The sound, the mystique and Taylor's double guitar-theme make the song for me + the use of different instruments, making it a little Brian-esque.

Angie is just perfection, one of those few perfect recordings.

Coming Down Again is the best track on the album, imo - the song represents the best thing with this album; it's vibe, melancholy and murkiness.

When I've listen to an album several hundred times, new favourites tend to pop up. But it's been like this for a while with GHS for me.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 12, 2013 10:24

DandelionPowderman
However, Can You Hear The Music really grew on me: The sound, the mystique and Taylor's double guitar-theme make the song for me + the use of different instruments, making it a little Brian-esque.

Ever since first hearing the album, Can You Hear The Music stood out, I'm a big fan of that one. We're in the minority

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-12 11:53 by Erik_Snow.

Date: June 12, 2013 17:35

Can You Hear The Music is excellent. I don't get how people don't like it.

If they'd just left Angie off of the album... and put Through The Lonely Nights on instead...

Date: June 12, 2013 17:37

GasLightStreet
Can You Hear The Music is excellent. I don't get how people don't like it.

If they'd just left Angie off of the album... and put Through The Lonely Nights on instead...

i don't get how ppl don't like angie. everybody doesn't get at least one thing about this album. the average number of things ppl don't get about this album is 3.2

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 12, 2013 18:26

I think Star Star is the weakest song on GHS. It's foreshadowing Some Girls.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: June 12, 2013 18:35

kleermaker
I think Star Star is the weakest song on GHS. It's foreshadowing Some Girls.

I'm with you, lyrics aside, it's some basic Keith/Berry guitar thing he can do in five minutes. Kind of what IORR's intro got turned into live.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 12, 2013 20:15

Interesting cover of 100 Years Ago, featuring Dap Kings guitarist Binky Griptite and Inyang Bassey:

Date: June 12, 2013 20:20

speaking of the great binky and the dapppers...i heard sharon jones is quite ill.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 9 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1745
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home