Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910
Current Page: 10 of 10
Re: Goats Head Soup revisited
Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: June 12, 2013 22:12

andrewt
Interesting cover of 100 Years Ago, featuring Dap Kings guitarist Binky Griptite and Inyang Bassey:

That's lovely.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 12, 2013 22:15

GravityBoy
andrewt
Interesting cover of 100 Years Ago, featuring Dap Kings guitarist Binky Griptite and Inyang Bassey:

That's lovely.

Very!

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 12, 2013 22:18

StonesTod
speaking of the great binky and the dapppers...i heard sharon jones is quite ill.

Oh dear. I had to go look that up. Turns out she had successful surgery yesterday.

From Consequence Of Sound:
Earlier this month, Sharon Jones was diagnosed with stage-one bile duct cancer, which forced her to postpone the release of her new album and all upcoming tour dates.

Yesterday, Jones had surgery to remove the cancerous tumor. In a short statement posted on Twitter early this morning, Jones wrote, “Out of surgery, and I am feeling better than I ever expected. The nurses at the hospital are taking care of me and I am feeling so grateful.” She tweeted a few hours later, “Tubes in my throat, tubes in my nose, tubes in my stomach, tubes in my–I’m all tubed up!”

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: June 29, 2013 05:02

picked these photos of Jamaica 1972 from "Rockn' Roll Photographiti : Koh Hasebe's Work."winking smiley

before the recording session of Star Star

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 29, 2013 05:04

Fanks Tora ...... great shots....thanks again ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: June 29, 2013 09:52

His Majesty
GravityBoy
andrewt

That's lovely.

Very!

Great performance. And, stripped to the bare bones like this, it becomes even more apparent what a beauty of a song "100 Years Ago" is.

Posted by: UnpurePurist ()
Date: June 29, 2013 15:42

I loved their introduction of 'Dancing With Mr D.', 'Star Star' and 'Heartbreaker' on the Brussels Affair. That bootleg turned me on to GHS, and after a bit of time its growing on me

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 29, 2013 18:03

StonesTod
GasLightStreet
Can You Hear The Music is excellent. I don't get how people don't like it.

If they'd just left Angie off of the album... and put Through The Lonely Nights on instead...

i don't get how ppl don't like angie. everybody doesn't get at least one thing about this album. the average number of things ppl don't get about this album is 3.2

I've never thought of GHS as a near beer kind of album.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 30, 2013 00:47

I love this record right up there with Sticky Fingers and Exile. Back when music was a HUGE part of the culture and I was young enough to love even Angie.

Much thanks for those Jamacia photos Toru A! I have always wondered why there weren't alot more photo's and stories of the recording of that record. It certaqinly was the exact period my pre-adolescent facination with the Stones began.

Love to see a photo of the mixing console with the infamous carving by Jimmy Miller.

Sadly, two of the best people who ever captured the Stones sound were eliminated during that time. Jimmy Miller and Andy Johns, RIP to both. peace

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: July 4, 2013 06:30

Ya know Macman15 thats the type of story I like. It's a bit crude but shows your Dad as a real person and I'm glad you have this great memory of him. My own Dad didn't care for my taste in music either but I remember him coming into the room one time just as Bill was going into his bass slide at the end of 19th nervous breakdown and actually saying " well those boys can REALLY play". He was a musician in his own right so coming from him this was high praise indeed!

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 4, 2013 07:06

Lotta great stories here. Here's mine - I got into the Stones when I was 8-9, SSC blew me away, yes, even at that age. My mother took me to the record shop, and we picked up ER(I still have the poster.) I played it to death! She was a Beatlhead, but she had OOOH, Aftermath and a British RS #2(thick assed vinyl!) These became mine! My parent were seperated, so she talked the old man into giving me IORR,(he wouldn't come off TTPD.) I was in deep! Next purchase was SL, I have deep feelings about 81-82! Knowing my fetish, in my Christmas stocking in 1982, she got me the cassettes TY and GHS. TY was obvious, but to this day, how she arrived at GHS mystifies me. Odd choice, for a fan, but not a diehard. My dad got me a boom box that year, and I wore those cassettes out. GHS was dark and funky, and, at age 11, I had a song that said #$@%, a lot! I am very thankful my mother wasn't afraid to go "deep." That record always reminds me of Xmas at home.

Side note - My Grandmother's uncle, was known to the family as......Mr. D, go figure....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-04 07:08 by Thrylan.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 4, 2013 07:28

Would anyone agree that Goats Head Soup was perhaps the Stones first true 70's record. Much of Sticky Fingers dated back to the, dare I say it, Brian-era, and Exile still, in my opinion, in the likes of Loving Cup, still has a whiff of the 1960's Stones about it. However, Goats Head Soup really must've sounded like a brand new record upon release. The Stones had never quite sounded quite the same before and this record, again in my opinion, really did pit them against their 1970's contemporaries for the very first time: Rod Stewart, David Bowie, T. Rex, Slade et al. IMO, Goats Head Soup represents the true end of the Brian Jones and 1960's hangover and the beginning of their 1970's incarnation, the true one, anyway.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 4, 2013 08:11

Thrylan
Lotta great stories here. Here's mine - I got into the Stones when I was 8-9, SSC blew me away, yes, even at that age. My mother took me to the record shop, and we picked up ER(I still have the poster.) I played it to death! She was a Beatlhead, but she had OOOH, Aftermath and a British RS #2(thick assed vinyl!) These became mine! My parent were seperated, so she talked the old man into giving me IORR,(he wouldn't come off TTPD.) I was in deep! Next purchase was SL, I have deep feelings about 81-82! Knowing my fetish, in my Christmas stocking in 1982, she got me the cassettes TY and GHS. TY was obvious, but to this day, how she arrived at GHS mystifies me. Odd choice, for a fan, but not a diehard. My dad got me a boom box that year, and I wore those cassettes out. GHS was dark and funky, and, at age 11, I had a song that said #$@%, a lot! I am very thankful my mother wasn't afraid to go "deep." That record always reminds me of Xmas at home.

Side note - My Grandmother's uncle, was known to the family as......Mr. D, go figure....

cool story and great illustration of how the circumstances of how we first listened to albums (and the order) influences our opinions of them

Date: July 4, 2013 08:54

Thanks, my mom was too cool.I forgot, she also had LIB(mine!)and dad had SF, wouldn't come off of it either! I'm thankful my mom gave me about all the culture she could, growing in WV, lol. SG would have been obvious, or Hot Rocks, but she went deep. The other interesting thing for me is, she didn't try to convert me to the Beatles; she let me listen to her collection, and make up my own mind. When I was curious about the Who and the Kinks, we would go and I would pick the album, and she would front me the allowance. Too cool.....

Reading the stories on the first page of this thread motivated me to share....all great stories!

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: July 4, 2013 11:53

I love playing side one, having another glass of wine poured for me as I flip the vinyl over, and sitting back on side two, don't you?

Date: July 4, 2013 12:27

God I love vinyl......and vino.

Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: July 4, 2013 14:20

Goats has a lot of great songs. Just listen to the live versions on Brussels Affair. Dancing with Mr. D, @#$%&, Angie - greatest verrion ever, Heartbreaker are just GREAT! And Winter, Coming down again, 100 years ago.. WOW!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 4, 2013 16:22

GravityBoy
andrewt

That's lovely.

stunning...thanks for sharing.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910
Current Page: 10 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2141
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home