Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 3 of 10
Re: Goats Head Soup revisited
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 20, 2007 14:42

Adrian Boot

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: January 20, 2007 14:50

All those who doesnt like GHS
should be forced to listen to Winter
three times the following week.

Date: January 20, 2007 14:54

And heres a pejorative associative to Baboon's dictator manners
so that jamesfdouglas doesnt have to seek similar pix...

[debrisson.free.fr]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 20, 2007 15:02

Keith Richards 1974

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: January 20, 2007 15:18

Baboon Bro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All those who doesnt like GHS
> should be forced to listen to Winter
> three times the following week.

I want that sentence...want to be guilty...and another three weeks''Çan you hear the music'' I lurv that!!

Posted by: Steen G ()
Date: January 20, 2007 15:24

There is more than just an album going on. "Start me up" is done in the same periode, they (probably Keith) throw away a complete album (Tropical diseases) although this may have contain stuff that is on GHS and their writing is beginning to be musically complicated (always a danger to an artist in the business of popular music).
BTW Keith also believed in the mid 70's that Angie should have been release as a single and not on the album.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: January 20, 2007 15:54

i think GHS is the most ethereal and haunting album they have ever released.

drew

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: January 20, 2007 15:55

Goats Head Soup is a Golden AfterGlow.

Date: January 20, 2007 16:00

Heartbreaker is a warm social..and also angry song...loved it when they did this on the voodoo tour.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 20, 2007 21:19

Goats Head Soup is great.

I prefer it to Some Girls, hands down.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: January 21, 2007 04:21

Damn right.

GHS = men enjoying a well-earned cigar in celebration of ten good years.

SG = 35+ men realising that they better pull their proverbial socks up. But they could not keep them pulled up. That's boys for you. They always needed garters thereafter.

GHS was utterly garterless.

Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: January 21, 2007 04:31

I must disagree, as much as I like GHS, Some Girls was a much better, livelier and focused album than GHS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-21 04:32 by it's_all_wrong.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 21, 2007 05:09

Four Stone Walls Wrote:
> Damn right.
>
> GHS = men enjoying a well-earned cigar in
> celebration of ten good years.
>
> SG = 35+ men realising that they better pull their
> proverbial socks up. But they could not keep them
> pulled up. That's boys for you. They always needed
> garters thereafter.
>
> GHS was utterly garterless.

HUH?

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: January 21, 2007 07:27

I always loved this record. I think the 2 solos in Hide Your Love are as good as any solo ever put down on a Stones (or anyone else for that matter) record. That song also has a great, late night drunken feel. HYL, while a basic blu.es format and no frills arrangement, to me, captures the essence of the Stones--an amazing thing to say about a tune where Keith does not play a note.

Winter, as many point out, is among the best stones tunes, ever. I also agree that notwithstanding the locale of the recording, it always, to me is a "winter" record.

Star Star is great, Stones doing Chuck Berry song. And count me among those who love Silver Train, love how the temp picks up as the song goes along. Great vocals by Mick and great slide guitar.

How/why they left Criss Cross off, I will never understand

Date: January 21, 2007 07:31

The wierd,kinda cool thing about this album is all the guitar effect sounds. Not your typical stones record or sound in that regard. which is another reason taht makes ot fun to listen to. Although hearing Keith say he didn't like this album you have to scratch your head and wonder,what is he listening to? This is good shit.

Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: January 21, 2007 08:17

sweetcharmedlife Wrote:
> The wierd,kinda cool thing about this album is all
> the guitar effect sounds. Not your typical stones
> record or sound in that regard. which is another
> reason taht makes ot fun to listen to. Although
> hearing Keith say he didn't like this album you
> have to scratch your head and wonder,what is he
> listening to? This is good shit.

GHS probably reminds Keith of his sinking deeper into herion addiction at that time.

Date: January 21, 2007 08:25

it's_all_wrong Wrote:
> sweetcharmedlife Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The wierd,kinda cool thing about this album is
> all
> > the guitar effect sounds. Not your typical
> stones
> > record or sound in that regard. which is
> another
> > reason taht makes ot fun to listen to. Although
> > hearing Keith say he didn't like this album you
> > have to scratch your head and wonder,what is he
> > listening to? This is good shit.
>
>
> GHS probably reminds Keith of his sinking deeper
> into herion addiction at that time.

Yeah I didn't think about that. But damn,creatively,he had some good shit going on on that album.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: January 21, 2007 09:42

if i try to compare it with others in that general time period, which is usually a fun exercise, i get lost...i mean after banguet, bleed, gyyyo, sf and exiles...holy moly...all of those are the holy grail for me...(also dug each and every brian era album--every single one, and i include banquet in those)...so how does anyone, including the boyz compete with that conceptually, never mind musically? whew.

so if i just take it on it's own merits, accept it for what it's offering independent of any other albums, it pops 8 out of ten songs for me every time.

it sounds warm and real and connected...i really love keith's singing all thru this album, not just his mega sterling vocal turn on cda. charlie, bill...whoa, everybody's there...it does not sound like they are 'going thru the motions' on this stuff...listen to bill's bass on mr. d...whoa, i can't say enough about wyman, ever.

silver train a stand out...that jet engine mercury sound, harp echoing the electric lines...i go to that youtube version a few times a month just for the rush...and charlie can't help but smile this perfect expression around 2:45 as mick really is hopping about like mad...that one woulda popped out on eoms or any other album i think...

a lot of 'em are standouts for me...and i appreciate the re-visitation invitation, i'm getting off on listening to it as i read these posts...

i'd never seen those rockman shots before; ty so much for that...
they look really tired and/or drugged to me in those shots...elegantly wasted, but in a sad, rather than exuberant way, knowing as i do now, how much H and other stuff was gonna make havoc out of their process before too very long.

that quote from keith that rockman posted confused me tho...kinda like, 'it didn't really work the way we wanted, but it's not jimmy's fault except that it showed us we really needed to get rid of jimmy' kinda thing...ohhhkkaaayyy, whatEVER...(it's hard to know from just a quote whether keith had some real reason for this or what's exactly on his mind with that; had jimmy changed, or was he having personal problems at the time which was affecting his work or his work relationships? miller i mean?

i start comparing and thinking of all the studio albums up to that time and it's the most amazing catalog of brilliant songs and performances, and i get humbled and grateful.

angie is lovely, winter is lovely (tho upon first release i thought it overwrought and used to make a little gentle fun of mick's hyper-emotinalism on that, my girl friend and i would sing and stutter along in a faux hyper emotional stutter and crack each other up toward the coda)...but in good fun, not cruel...
van should cover 'winter' ohmygod. moody old van shoulda answered the door in frisco when mick came knockin' and said "ok, thanks i'll guest with you guys, let's work up Winter..."(short of that kinda push, it'll never happen)
comin' down again is totally, totally super bitchin' and lovely, genuinely moving...several of 'em actually. wonderful album and awful good comments here, ty for the re-visit.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 21, 2007 13:56

I have always loved this album, but it is a strange one. It's a Stones album without the Stones trademarks of pumping drums and bass, hard hitting guitars and buckets of energy flowing from the speakers. The album is totally lacking in energy, and I mean this in a positive way. BUt that's not typical Stones. Even the rockers miss the pumping energy: Star Star is the fastest song, and even that one is a mid-tempo sleeze rocker. Typical for this album is the non-Stones drum sound. The drums don't sound like Charlie Watts. Listen to the snare drum -it's hollow, lazy, tired. It sounds like a wet carton box. The Stones just really sound tired, notin te mood to rock your world.

I do think the album could have been better though. They could and should have included tracks like Fast Talking, Tops and Waiting on a Friend, they wouldhave made the album more divers.

Mathijs

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 21, 2007 14:04

I agree that the album sounds a bit tired. It's a good description of it I think. However: That's a good change, and it's worth listening to if one wants to understand what new things were introduced with the albums right after it (IORR, B&cool smiley.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: January 21, 2007 14:07

Was this thread started to see if The Bong is still hanging around here?

I really like the album too. Including Silver Train. It was one of the first 5/6 albums I bought, because it was cheap at that moment. (Still is, 8/10 euro's).

Jelle

Date: January 21, 2007 14:30

And than you came home with that lp and saw that strange goat innersleeve...but in Jamaica they eat goat..I eat only goat cheese.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 21, 2007 15:23

I love Goats, but it's obviously not as good as their previous albums. Very true that it's sleazy and the production is murky. Miller was still there, but a non-Stones geek with some production knowledge could easily say this album was from a different producer than both IORR and the previous four albums. Like Mathijs said, the drums really lack that thunderous punch that came through especially on Let It Bleed.

Date: January 21, 2007 15:39

jamesfdouglas Wrote:
> Goats Head Soup is great.
>
> I prefer it to Some Girls, hands down.

Delighted to be on the same side, Good Jim smiling smiley...

Posted by: IgotDbluez ()
Date: January 22, 2007 04:18

As this was the first "new release" by the Stones I bought, I've always been very partial to it.....the vinyl grooves are worn and make a great popping sound (I finally bought the CD about 2 years ago). It still sends me back to high school when I hear it. I still love the singles from it (Heartbreaker, Angie) no matter if I've heard 'em a billion times each......Winter, StarStar, Comin Down Again.....I love 'em all....

And to think of all the Stones songs, past and future, that were waiting for me at the time.....

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: January 22, 2007 06:09

Lots of people seem to like "Dancing With Mr. D".........am I the only one that thinks is sucks?? It's an attempt at themes of evil and death but think of these lyrics compared to say "Sympathy for the Devil".......in comparison, "Mr. D" is laughable...

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: January 22, 2007 07:07

Tumblin_Dice_07 Wrote:
> Lots of people seem to like "Dancing With Mr.
> D".........am I the only one that thinks is
> sucks?? It's an attempt at themes of evil and
> death but think of these lyrics compared to say
> "Sympathy for the Devil".......in comparison, "Mr.
> D" is laughable...

Agreed.

I'm actually one of the two or three people on the planet whose stomach turns whenever I hear "Angie."

That said, the record has some amazing stuff ("@#$%&," "Winter" and yes, "Hide Your Love" and a few others) but as cool as the "drugged-out-and-recording-in-glorious/terrifying-Jamaica" vibe is, does any of that make "Goat's Head" the triumph that, say, "Beggar's Banquet" or "Some Girls" is?

If you had only one album with which to persuade someone of what we all know--i.e., that the Stones are "Gods who walk as men"--would "Goat's Head" really be the one? Really? ("No Expectations" just came up on my iPod to offer a resounding NO!)

"Waiting On A Friend" and "Criss Cross Man" might have made it interesting though...

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: January 22, 2007 10:54

>"Star star" had a lot of airplay in germany, but it remained
the only song I knew from this album until ca. 1980

You made it through the 70s without ever hearing "Angie"??

Posted by: twanghound ()
Date: January 22, 2007 11:39

That's funny - I totally forgot about "Angie"!
This was the big hit-single and I think even
my dad knows that song.
In 73 I liked "Angie", but over the years it
was so overplayed, that I couln't stand it any
more.
I remember that many said, the Stones were selling
out doing "Angie" - at least it was very succesful.
I believed that it was written by Mick Jagger and
that it was about Bowie's then wife Angela, but later
I read, that Keith wrote it, and that it is about Anita.
And Keith's and Anita's daughter Dandelion changed
her name into Angela...

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 22, 2007 12:08

Always loved 'Goats Head Soup' and always will! It is an album, however, that could benefit greatly from a re-mix job, just like Dylan's 'Street Legal' which had a similar somewhat undistiguished production and now sounds fantastic after a complete re-mix. Todays technology can work wonders on weak drum sounds etc.!

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 3 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2059
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home