Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 2 of 10
Re: Goats Head Soup revisited
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 19, 2007 21:37

I held off for years on buying GHS. Just because it wasn't one of the so-called clasic albums and never really got much attention or critical acclaim. Then I finally broke down and bought it when I was out xmas shopping. I listened to it a couple times and was very pleasantly surprised at how good it was all the way through. Espicially Winter,which went from kind of an obscure STones song to one of my top 10 in the last year.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Oveinvain ()
Date: January 19, 2007 21:40

I think that GHS is the most underrated stones album. It's a fantastic album and I have so many dear memories together with it

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 19, 2007 21:40

Yeah, "Winter" is a great song. Should be better known, not just by us Stones-freaks, but by the public at large.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 19, 2007 21:42

Same w/ 100 Years Ago.

That, too, a piece of genius. There are no bad songs on it. Not one.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: January 19, 2007 22:09

This was the first Stones album I ever heard, bought it when it came out (I was 14). I thought it was great then, and I still do. It was only after working through the back catalog that it started to tarnish a bit in my mind from a production standpoint, and I could see from a songwriting standpoint that it wasn't up to their previous standardes (arguably). But, I think it is very under-rated (especially in light of some of later years' output) and it will always have a special place in my heart.

Side notes: I thought the line about the lights on the Christmas trees going out in California (where I live) was awesome. And, Hide Your Love was/is my favorite song on the album. If it had been included on Exile, I have a feeling it would get a lot more attention.

And the queen is bravely shouting,
"What the hell is going on?"

Posted by: Oveinvain ()
Date: January 19, 2007 22:17

Hide your love is an Exile song and it is a ANTASTIC song.
I think it is just amazing, you bigbang and me are in the same age, we are living just on the other side of the globe but we have the same feelings about the same album and songs by the greatest rock'n roll band in the world.
I think thats the greatest thing with all this.....

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: January 19, 2007 22:27

Oveinvain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hide your love is an Exile song and it is a
> ANTASTIC song.
> I think it is just amazing, you bigbang and me are
> in the same age, we are living just on the other
> side of the globe but we have the same feelings
> about the same album and songs by the greatest
> rock'n roll band in the world.
> I think thats the greatest thing with all
> this.....

Yeah, I guess it wasn't finished when they finally said "enough"! lol

Yes, oveinvane... that's what keeps me coming back. Cheers.smiling smiley

And the queen is bravely shouting,
"What the hell is going on?"

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 19, 2007 22:27

Even though there are no reggea songs in GHS it still has a Jamaican Vibe to me. Its a cool album. I still cant get into Can you hear the music though, I just don't get it.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 19, 2007 22:45

Mick & Keith Dynamic Sound Studio Jamaica - December 1972 - Adrian Boot

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: January 19, 2007 23:17

twanghound Wrote:
>
> By the way - this was the first post Jimmy Miller
> record, the first
> one produced by the Glimmer Twins.

Actually, Jimmy is credited as the producer on this one. IORR was actually first record that was totally Miller free.

edit: sorry guys.......I didn't realize the aforementioned fact had already been discussed. I like the album though. Love the mood.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-19 23:22 by Tumblin_Dice_07.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 19, 2007 23:32

It's a brilliant record from a then-brilliant band.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: January 20, 2007 00:59

"silver train might be the worst song ever"

your kidding, silver train with a you-tube video from 1973 of the stones on stage is a classic.

one of the most underrated songs ever.

Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: January 20, 2007 01:40

GHS is a great album, takes a few listens to sink in. But Winter could have been dropped and Can You Hear The Music just sucks.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: January 20, 2007 03:08

I like the album.......I like the mood of the album. I don't hear the Jamaican mood that some people here have mentioned. It reminds me of winter, of desolation, depression, and of cold. "Dancing with Mr. D" (which I don't like much) has a dark groove and the lyrics about the graveyard and all the shrieks and howls......"100 Years Ago" is one of my favorite Stones songs period.....but again it's about reflection and longing and there's the "Doncha think its' just about time to hide away?" line. "Coming Down Again" is nice and again, the vibe of it reminds me of winter.....the desolation "where are all my friends?" "Angie" definately has that wintry vibe to it.....desperation....."remember all those nights we cried" and "with no loving in our souls and no money in our coats".......Even "Silver Train" has a wintry vibe to me but I'm not sure why.....of course "Winter" is the song most responsible for the cold, wintry vibe........don't have to explain that one. I think part of the reason I associate this album with winter is because I got it for Christmas one year and I remember listening to it under the influence of certain substances while there was snow on the ground.

Posted by: stoned_in_dc ()
Date: January 20, 2007 04:12

i guess i'm in the minority as usual on this... don't care for GHS... much prefer black and blue which out rocks it... cannot stand the ballads on GHS such as coming down again..can you say boring?

Posted by: Monkeylad ()
Date: January 20, 2007 05:13

I love the album; never quite could figure out why it was given a goofy name. I also wasn't crazy about Jagger being the sole band member on the front cover.

It might have been better sequenced . . . given a slow side/fast side, like TY, although a few songs don't fall neatly in either category. I threw in a few outtakes that I believe were from the same era.

Side 1
Angie
Coming Down Again
Hide Your Love
Winter
Through the Lonely Nights
100 Years Ago

Side 2
Criss Cross
Dancing with Mr. D
Heartbreaker
Can You Hear the Music?
Silver Train
Star Star

Date: January 20, 2007 05:38

It's one of my desert island Stones discs, December's Children being the other one. It's The Stones not trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator. It's the Stones not forcing the sh*i*t out of their bowels. The music came naturally and it flowed. It's The Stones showing their warm and creative and loving side. Exile is a mess, IORR is... I don't know what it is, but it's awfully contrived and 'product' oriented.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: January 20, 2007 05:43

..geezz,, goats head is a great one,, ,, never learned why it takes knocks.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 20, 2007 05:43

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-19 09:41 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: January 20, 2007 06:33

Like some oen else said" A great record by a band that was great at the time."
The pics by Rockman: Look how GREAT Jagger looks. Just Fabulous!!!

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: January 20, 2007 07:14

"Winter" is the hidden gem on GHS. A beautiful ballad with a solo and lead guitar work by Mick Taylor that makes my knees weak. If you play guitar, you know what I mean.

"Coming Down Again"- Keith's finest ballad and the title says it all. A song he should and could do live but never has and probably never will.

"Heartbreaker"- In 1973, it was such a cool song. You knew that the Stones were bad boys back then.

"Dancing with Mr. D and Silver Train and "Star Star"- Nice rockers.

"Angie" A masterpiece ballad that will live on forever. Keith's finest acoustic work.

"Hide Your Love,100 Years Ago"= So so songs. It wasn't Sticky Fingers, but it was a respectable effort.

Posted by: stoned_in_dc ()
Date: January 20, 2007 07:16

i like the lp insert..

@#$%& is great!....vintage sotones..i also love dancing with mr d and heartbreaker...

the rest ain't all that.. and angie always has seemed to me too sugary....its just not one of my favorites...

Date: January 20, 2007 08:14

MOJO 107 - October 2002

ROCKMAN

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 20, 2007 08:25

GHS is a sad little 3-legged dog.

Compared to the previous 5 Stones albums...it is LAME!!!

You play it, it sort of just sadly limps around.

And like that sad little dog, some of you find it in your hearts to love it.

Maybe because no one else will.

Not even the Stones. Since the '73 tour, they've only played 3 cuts from it,off and on.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion...and their loves.

But Silver Train is NOT a great Stones rocker, people.

Get real.

Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: January 20, 2007 08:28

loog droog Wrote:
> But Silver Train is NOT a great Stones rocker,
> people.
>
> Get real.

I partly agree. Although this song is disgustingly overrated by people on this board, it isn't a bad song at all.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: January 20, 2007 08:51

What did they don over the face anyway?

D. Bailey

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-20 09:09 by Toru A.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: January 20, 2007 09:25

i feel guilty to say that in recent times, it's been my favorite.

100 years ago, coming down again - some of the best keith vocals ever, heartbreaker. i kinda like hide your love, too.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 20, 2007 12:37

It's one of the first Stones albums I bought. At the time I didn't know much about the stones history. I always licked it, but I always was convinced it was a collection, in the faschion of made in the shade.

I was surprised to learn it actually was not a collection.

Well, if I have to find one down with Soup, is that the songs don't tie well together, they don't flow nicely.

AND, I'll never understand what's the big deal with sleepy coming down again.

On the other hand (or, if you like, to make things worse) I LOVE cna you hear the music

C

Date: January 20, 2007 12:46

I always licked it....Liddas you are what is known as a true fan...good on ya!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jeff14 ()
Date: January 20, 2007 14:38

all i know is that the wah wah solo on 100 yrs again is just a great jam...the solo on mr d. just cuts threw ones head...winter has some of jaggers best lyrics...star star is a berry berry decent tune...this is the album that should piss off mick taylor, he was all over it and keeping things together...

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 2 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2259
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home