Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 11 of 13
Re: Mick T's Guitars
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 21, 2019 13:47

Mathijs
S.T.P
Anyone know if the Les Paul which can be seen on the cover of Get Yer Ya Yas Out!, is the same he used on the 1972 American tour?

It's not completely sure. There are conflicting statements by Taylor, and varying stories on which guitars got lost. Story line is that Taylor had two bursts when he joined the Stones -the Bigsby burst, and a 1958. He used the 1958 as back up to his SG, and can be seen on some rare pics of the England 1969 gigs, and it is the Burst on the cover.

Then the conflicting stories begin: there is a story he forgot one of his guitars on a train platform during the 1970 tour, there's a story he sold both Les Paul’s as he needed the money for whatever reason in 1971, and there was the burglary in July 1971.

According to Ted Newman Jones, he arranged half a dozen of Les Pauls (Bursts, Custom, Junior) for the Stones in late 1971 and early 1972 to replace the stolen instruments. Pictures of the 1958 Burst he used on the 1972 tour and later on in the early 1980’s does seem to show a different guitar than the 1958 one he used in 1970 –the burst was less faded, less yellow with more brown and red color to the top. But this is still not conclusive. For the 1973 tour he used Keith’s 1959 burst. He sold both LP’s in 1983 to fund a move to the U.S.

Mathijs
I wonder if he regrets selling those precious Bursts any time he ponders back to the old days ?

Date: October 21, 2019 14:45

Mathijs

He sold both LP’s in 1983 to fund a move to the U.S.

Mathijs

Probably hist best move.
In 1983/1984 he worked with Dylan using a great sounding Les Paul again, and to my taste some of his best playing ever.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: October 21, 2019 15:03

Mathijs
S.T.P
Anyone know if the Les Paul which can be seen on the cover of Get Yer Ya Yas Out!, is the same he used on the 1972 American tour?

It's not completely sure. There are conflicting statements by Taylor, and varying stories on which guitars got lost. Story line is that Taylor had two bursts when he joined the Stones -the Bigsby burst, and a 1958. He used the 1958 as back up to his SG, and can be seen on some rare pics of the England 1969 gigs, and it is the Burst on the cover.

Then the conflicting stories begin: there is a story he forgot one of his guitars on a train platform during the 1970 tour, there's a story he sold both Les Paul’s as he needed the money for whatever reason in 1971, and there was the burglary in July 1971.

According to Ted Newman Jones, he arranged half a dozen of Les Pauls (Bursts, Custom, Junior) for the Stones in late 1971 and early 1972 to replace the stolen instruments. Pictures of the 1958 Burst he used on the 1972 tour and later on in the early 1980’s does seem to show a different guitar than the 1958 one he used in 1970 –the burst was less faded, less yellow with more brown and red color to the top. But this is still not conclusive. For the 1973 tour he used Keith’s 1959 burst. He sold both LP’s in 1983 to fund a move to the U.S.

Mathijs

Interesting, and thanks for the info on the slide.

What LP has he been using since the 90’s/early 2000’s?

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: October 21, 2019 17:49

Mathijs
S.T.P

Mathijs

Thanks a lot!! Interesting read, and I agree concerning the difference in colors. I also noticed that the '72 guitar didn't have humbuckers, but I guess he could have changed them anyway (on the sg he changed the tuners before the european tour).

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 23, 2019 12:15

S.T.P
Mathijs
S.T.P

Mathijs

Thanks a lot!! Interesting read, and I agree concerning the difference in colors. I also noticed that the '72 guitar didn't have humbuckers, but I guess he could have changed them anyway (on the sg he changed the tuners before the european tour).

It did have humbuckers, but the cover was taken off, providing a bit more treble.

Mathijs

Date: October 23, 2019 12:18

TravelinMan
Mathijs
S.T.P

Mathijs

He's had a Bigsby equipped Les Paul copy until the early 90's, then a lot of Strat-type guitars and rented/borrowed Les Paul's for the 90's. He received a Custom Shop R9 for part's of the mids' 2000's whic he sold again, and during his time back with the Stones he borrowed a R9 Les Paul.

Mathijs

Date: October 23, 2019 13:38

The way he sells his Les Paul's makes me wonder if he really loves them at all ? Myself I want to take them with me when I go (of course I can't do that and at the same time I treasure them with every breathe I take )

Date: October 23, 2019 15:50

TheGreek
The way he sells his Les Paul's makes me wonder if he really loves them at all ? Myself I want to take them with me when I go (of course I can't do that and at the same time I treasure them with every breathe I take )

My very own humble opinion is that Taylor doesn't give a f*ck about playing guitar. The only reason he picked one up in the last 25 years is because he needs to pay the rent. I don't think he has ever played the guitar just out of fun in the last 25 years, and certainly never properly rehearsed for a gig, including his Stones appearances.

Mathijs

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 23, 2019 16:01

Some players are also gear heads and/or guitar collectors/anoraks [eg Joe Bonamassa]... but for others the guitar is just a tool of the trade.

MT has never been a guitar nerd or collector.

If you're him, and can easily borrow free of charge the best instruments available...why keep tens and even hundreds of thousands of pounds tied up in old guitars ?

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: October 23, 2019 18:35

Spud
Some players are also gear heads and/or guitar collectors ... but for others the guitar is just a tool of the trade.

Think Chuck Berry.
He made that really clear back then in the movie "Hail Hail RnR"
Tools ...

Date: October 23, 2019 18:49

Mathijs
TheGreek

My very own humble opinion is that Taylor doesn't give a f*ck about playing guitar. The only reason he picked one up in the last 25 years is because he needs to pay the rent. I don't think he has ever played the guitar just out of fun in the last 25 years, and certainly never properly rehearsed for a gig, including his Stones appearances.

Mathijs
Sometimes when you are a wunderkind protégé at such an early age you can get a bit of a big head , not that I know Mick Taylor , but some of his behavior over the years he has been aloof . How else do you explain walking away from the biggest gig in life ? I know the songwriting credits story and all . Speaking of regrets , I wonder during the years he walked away from the Glimmer Twins and was less than thrilled with his bank account if he ever regretted walking away ? I bet you he did . Finally to some the sight of a Sunburst Les Paul gets your motor roaring (me ) and maybe to Mick Taylor it was just a "work tool "

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: October 23, 2019 23:02

Mathijs
TravelinMan
Mathijs
S.T.P

Mathijs

He's had a Bigsby equipped Les Paul copy until the early 90's, then a lot of Strat-type guitars and rented/borrowed Les Paul's for the 90's. He received a Custom Shop R9 for part's of the mids' 2000's whic he sold again, and during his time back with the Stones he borrowed a R9 Les Paul.

Mathijs

Thanks again! I have one more question that you might have an answer to..? What's your opinion on what type of burst the 1972 guitar had... tea burst or cherry burst?

Date: October 24, 2019 02:32

Mathijs
TheGreek

Mathijs

I disagree. In the last 25 years he was very excited about A Stone’s Throw, the Hendrix stuff, and the Stones tour.

He also talks fondly about the guitars used back in the day. Could be a sore subject?

Date: October 24, 2019 13:10

Just maybe we could describe his attitude towards the guitar as "eccentric" to be kind ?

Date: October 24, 2019 15:10

TravelinMan
Mathijs
TheGreek

Mathijs

I disagree. In the last 25 years he was very excited about A Stone’s Throw, the Hendrix stuff, and the Stones tour.

He also talks fondly about the guitars used back in the day. Could be a sore subject?

I don't think he has done just one gig in the last 25 years where he properly prepared....and that's including the Stones gigs. These were totally unrehearsed, just winging it.

Mathijs

Date: October 24, 2019 15:48

Mathijs
TravelinMan
Mathijs
TheGreek

Mathijs

I don't think he has done just one gig in the last 25 years where he properly prepared....and that's including the Stones gigs. These were totally unrehearsed, just winging it.

Mathijs

That doesn't take away that - to me- he was still the most interesting player of the living trio.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-24 15:48 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: October 24, 2019 18:15

MT was concerned about his guitar set up and sound I have DVD's of his 80 and 90 shows with his band where he would not start the first song until he was satisfied. MT was a natural with his instrument and just go out a play he was a soloist. He was more concerned about the set up and sound. Some guitar guys have to practice playing brown sugar for the rehersals before each tour LOL.

Date: October 25, 2019 10:41

TheflyingDutchman
Mathijs
TravelinMan
Mathijs
TheGreek

Mathijs

Mathijs

That doesn't take away that - to me- he was still the most interesting player of the living trio.

Well, that's the magic of a talent like Taylor of course...

Mathijs

Date: October 25, 2019 10:47

OpenG
MT was concerned about his guitar set up and sound I have DVD's of his 80 and 90 shows with his band where he would not start the first song until he was satisfied. MT was a natural with his instrument and just go out a play he was a soloist. He was more concerned about the set up and sound. Some guitar guys have to practice playing brown sugar for the rehersals before each tour LOL.

Those 80's and 90's shows were horrible....He didn't give a flying f*ck about the gig. He didn't do a soundcheck, he went on and tried to get a decent sound throughout the first two songs or so, trying to work out how the rented amps worked. Low point was a gig were he tried to hide behind the amps to take a couple of lines of coke, but he wasn't aware he was in plain sight of the audience. He then stumbled on stage, drunk and coked up.

I know it is not nice to write these things, but there's a bit of frustration that such a talented guitarist listerally threw away his entire career because he was just too lazy and didn't care enough. And now he and his manager keep on screeming that the Stones robbed him of everything, while in reality he had it all and threw it away, and wasted all his earned money on drugs.

Mathijs

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: October 25, 2019 11:46

Spud
Some players are also gear heads and/or guitar collectors/anoraks [eg Joe Bonamassa]... but for others the guitar is just a tool of the trade.

If you're him, and can easily borrow free of charge the best instruments available...why keep tens and even hundreds of thousands of pounds tied up in old guitars ?

I know Mick Jagger commented this at one point. He said Keith really cares about his guitars, but to himself [Jagger], the guitar is just a tool.

Date: October 25, 2019 13:28

Mathijs
OpenG

Those 80's and 90's shows were horrible....He didn't give a flying f*ck about the gig. He didn't do a soundcheck, he went on and tried to get a decent sound throughout the first two songs or so, trying to work out how the rented amps worked. Low point was a gig were he tried to hide behind the amps to take a couple of lines of coke, but he wasn't aware he was in plain sight of the audience. He then stumbled on stage, drunk and coked up.

I know it is not nice to write these things, but there's a bit of frustration that such a talented guitarist listerally threw away his entire career because he was just too lazy and didn't care enough. And now he and his manager keep on screeming that the Stones robbed him of everything, while in reality he had it all and threw it away, and wasted all his earned money on drugs.

Mathijs
Hard to argue you with you when everything you have written is well known and accurate and that's the rub or mystery of this most enigmatic talent that Mick Taylor is . It's almost like the same analogy of The Great Mickey Mantle who his skipper Casey Stengel said that he could have been better than The Bambino Babe Ruth if he only tried or applied himself . Maybe Mick Taylor's ego is just as big or even bigger than the Glimmer Twins combined ? This is all just a guess as I don't know the man personally .

Date: October 25, 2019 13:31

LieB
Spud

I know Mick Jagger commented this at one point. He said Keith really cares about his guitars, but to himself [Jagger], the guitar is just a tool.
Okay , to take it a step further maybe to Keith Richards , he cares about his guitars because of how much "joy" the bring to him ? I know they bring me "Joy"

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 25, 2019 14:37

TheGreek
Mathijs
OpenG

Mathijs
Hard to argue you with you when everything you have written is well known and accurate and that's the rub or mystery of this most enigmatic talent that Mick Taylor is . It's almost like the same analogy of The Great Mickey Mantle who his skipper Casey Stengel said that he could have been better than The Bambino Babe Ruth if he only tried or applied himself . Maybe Mick Taylor's ego is just as big or even bigger than the Glimmer Twins combined ? This is all just a guess as I don't know the man personally .

I've always felt that the broad picture with MT is that he is possessed of huge talent but little in the way of direction or motivation.

[Not a criticism...something I've always suffered with, except I don't have the talent either winking smiley]

He needs a framework provided by somebody else in order to shine and give of his best . The Stones and John Mayall before them provided this platform.

If MT had joined another good band after the Stones, he may have enjoyed a further period of greatness.

But he didn't ...and its not so much that he lost his way ...he just no longer had a guide.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 25, 2019 14:52

Mathijs
Low point was a gig were he tried to hide behind the amps to take a couple of lines of coke, but he wasn't aware he was in plain sight of the audience. He then stumbled on stage, drunk and coked up.

I know it is not nice to write these things, but there's a bit of frustration that such a talented guitarist literally threw away his entire career because he was just too lazy and didn't care enough. And now he and his manager keep on screaming that the Stones robbed him of everything, while in reality he had it all and threw it away, and wasted all his earned money on drugs.

Mathijs

I don't dispute the facts, but in a band with Brian Jones, Keith Richards, and Ronnie Wood as the other guitar players; it seems a bit odd to pick on Taylor for wasting talent on booze and drugs and showing a lack of professionalism. That's what addicts do. Taylor on his own is just on a smaller stage and without minders and support team to prop him up or get him to clean up when essential.

Date: October 25, 2019 15:22

I would love to talk and play for an hour with Mick Taylor. It would answer a thousand questions, and he wouldn't even notice it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-25 15:39 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: October 25, 2019 16:14

Mathijs
OpenG

Mathijs

Wrong. Were you at every show?

I can’t speak for all 80’s shows, but some sound pretty damn good, Stranger In This Town tour, for instance. The stuff with Dylan and Mayall. Jeeeeez, dude. Do some research instead of “fact talking” with your opinions. If he went through a battle of drug addiction, it’s not like it was an easy “choice”. A lot more demons at work than “wasting a career”.

I’ve heard amazing stuff from firsthand accounts about 90’s gigs, and also he wasn’t into backing up Sascha what’s his name and those gigs were tepid by all accounts. Sitting on his amp with a bottle while “Mr. frontman” wanted to be Jagger.

Date: October 25, 2019 16:22

Spud
TheGreek
Mathijs
OpenG

Mathijs

I've always felt that the broad picture with MT is that he is possessed of huge talent but little in the way of direction or motivation.

[Not a criticism...something I've always suffered with, except I don't have the talent either winking smiley]

He needs a framework provided by somebody else in order to shine and give of his best . The Stones and John Mayall before them provided this platform.

If MT had joined another good band after the Stones, he may have enjoyed a further period of greatness.

But he didn't ...and its not so much that he lost his way ...he just no longer had a guide.

He really needs a biography to tell his own account. He obviously had motivation to step up to Mayall, to join the Stones, and huge cajones to quit the Stones.

I read somewhere he was pretty disillusioned by the music biz after his first record. I would like to know what happened to make him feel that way.

Drug addiction and chemical dependency are dead serious topics, look at how many great musicians lives they’ve taken.

Date: October 25, 2019 16:23

He could definitely carry a song on his guitar:

Like a Rolling Stone should.

Date: October 25, 2019 17:42

<Jeeeeez, dude. Do some research instead of “fact talking” with your opinions>

We've all heard loads of these shows. That goes for Mathijs as well, of course.

Do you really doubt him doing his research? grinning smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 25, 2019 17:45

TravelinMan
and huge cojones to quit the Stones.

Don't think it was cojones it was more like hubris. He most probably thought he was ready for the next move forward in his career, the Stones could give him nothing more and they were going belly up soon. So it was wise to leave the wreck before it totally sank.

He also probably thought (with the success of Pink Floyd) that complex/prog rock was the future of pop music, hence the supergroup he created with Bruce.

That was two "good" (=wrong) reasons to leave the stones :
- MT underestimated the rather uncanny ability the Stones have to rise from their own ashes like a phoenix.
- the arrival of the punk movement in 1976 gave prog rock movement the terminal kick in the nuts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-25 17:47 by dcba.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 11 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1423
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home