Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 12 of 13
Re: Mick T's Guitars
Date: October 25, 2019 17:51

dcba
TravelinMan
and huge cojones to quit the Stones.

Don't think it was cojones it was more like hubris. He most probably thought he was ready for the next move forward in his career, the Stones could give him nothing more and they were going belly up soon. So it was wise to leave the wreck before it totally sank.

He also probably thought (with the success of Pink Floyd) that complex/prog rock was the future of pop music, hence the supergroup he created with Bruce.

That was two "good" (=wrong) reasons to leave the stones :
- MT underestimated the rather uncanny ability the Stones have to rise from their own ashes like a phoenix.
- the arrival of the punk movement in 1976 gave prog rock movement the terminal kick in the nuts.

I also think that Mick Taylor underestimated the complexity of progressive/jazz rock (a style that was not terminal btw).

OtherwiseTaylor would have had a good reason not to play with the likes of Jack Bruce and Carla Bley, or just do it in his spare time next to his job with the Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-25 17:54 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: October 25, 2019 18:04

Some of those 80-90 gigs with Mick Taylor Band - the sound quality of the boot and audience was superior to the 72/73 stones gigs and I prefer to listen to those shows more because of the smaller club gig and vibe verse large indoor arenas for 72/73 stones shows.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 25, 2019 18:31

TheflyingDutchman
dcba
TravelinMan

Don't think it was cojones it was more like hubris. He most probably thought he was ready for the next move forward in his career, the Stones could give him nothing more and they were going belly up soon. So it was wise to leave the wreck before it totally sank.

He also probably thought (with the success of Pink Floyd) that complex/prog rock was the future of pop music, hence the supergroup he created with Bruce.

- MT underestimated the rather uncanny ability the Stones have to rise from their own ashes like a phoenix.
- the arrival of the punk movement in 1976 gave prog rock movement the terminal kick in the nuts.

I also think that Mick Taylor underestimated the complexity of progressive/jazz rock (a style that was not terminal btw).

OtherwiseTaylor would have had a good reason not to play with the likes of Jack Bruce and Carla Bley, or just do it in his spare time next to his job with the Stones.
I hear where you are coming from but how much commercial success does that translate into Box office sales and record sales = money in your pocket ? Versus his cut all to short paycheck from The Glimmer Twins ?

Date: October 25, 2019 19:25

TheGreek
TheflyingDutchman
dcba
TravelinMan

I hear where you are coming from but how much commercial success does that translate into Box office sales and record sales = money in your pocket ? Versus his cut all to short paycheck from The Glimmer Twins ?

It's the love for prog and jazz rock in the first place. There are not that many. Jeff Beck, Al DiMeola , John McLaughlin, Bill Bruford, Robert Fripp etc. Those guys worked really hard to make a good living in this style. It's not mainstream, I agree.

Date: October 25, 2019 21:07

TheflyingDutchman
TheGreek
TheflyingDutchman
dcba
TravelinMan

It's the love for prog and jazz rock in the first place. There are not that many. Jeff Beck, Al DiMeola , John McLaughlin, Bill Bruford, Robert Fripp etc. Those guys worked really hard to make a good living in this style. It's not mainstream, I agree.
Such a big gamble like the proverbial jazz cats nowadays . If you are not a marquee headliner how will that put food on the table and funds in your account ? That's my whole point for Mick Taylor coming from easy street with the Stones to struggles in his chosen career path , and it is such a shame as he is really cut from the same cloth and the same DNA Tree as my favorite Guitar slinger is Mr. Eric Clapton . Damn Shame to not fully utilize those Blessed by God skills and hands of his ,along with his tone and vibrato as well !

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: October 25, 2019 21:11

DandelionPowderman

We've all heard loads of these shows. That goes for Mathijs as well, of course.

Do you really doubt him doing his research? grinning smiley

Taylor was literally the band leader for Bob effing Dylan in 1984. They played way larger concerts than the Stones ever did (fact check me on this, but I know at least his time with the Stones). To say he didn’t prepare for a show is absolutely bogus!

Somehow he just knew 30 Dylan songs and played them on command when Dylan switched the setlist during shows?!?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-25 21:17 by TravelinMan.

Date: October 25, 2019 21:15

dcba
TravelinMan

He knew it was a steady paycheck, despite the turmoil. Going into uncharted territory with Jack Bruce in the mid-70’s took cajones.

Date: October 25, 2019 21:21

TheflyingDutchman
dcba
TravelinMan

If I were him I would have taken that approach: play with whomever you wanted and release solo albums, but be ready for Stones stuff. It would be frustrating to never get your musical ideas played; I think Jagger would have done some cool stuff with “Separately” and “Leather Jacket”.

God knows what would have happened to Ron Wood had Taylor stayed. Taylor quit and possibly saved his own life and saved Wood’s life/career at the same time.

Date: October 25, 2019 22:55

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

Taylor was literally the band leader for Bob effing Dylan in 1984. They played way larger concerts than the Stones ever did (fact check me on this, but I know at least his time with the Stones). To say he didn’t prepare for a show is absolutely bogus!

Somehow he just knew 30 Dylan songs and played them on command when Dylan switched the setlist during shows?!?

I'm pretty sure he meant his solo shows after Dylan, though. And Taylor's collaboration with Dylan didn't work as smoothly as you say. He was fired, but luckily taken back. There were conflicts.

Hyde Park and Altamont were pretty huge gigs, btw...

Date: October 25, 2019 23:32

I find it hard to believe that we criticize MT for not rehearsing and practicing and giving a shit about his band. That's so far from the truth. MT did not have a touring crew or guitar tech and soundcheck like the RS or any other big rock act. He was playing for the love of the blues and paying the rent and driving to and from the gigs that's a hard life to sustain. Yes he was his own worst enemy and wasted his talent as a musician as his addictions took over his life.

After all the RS tours the last 40 years the band has played it safe and played the same arrangements because that's all they could do and the level of playing well you can decide that for yourself.

Regarding the Dylan tour according to Clinton Heflin's book - Dylan would often change the set list and key of each song so the band had to be on its toes and adapt to Dylan's antics on stage. All those players were real talented musicians and could play on the spot and not have to practice, practice, practice.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: October 25, 2019 23:33

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

I'm pretty sure he meant his solo shows after Dylan, though. And Taylor's collaboration with Dylan didn't work as smoothly as you say. He was fired, but luckily taken back. There were conflicts.

I agree. Taylor made some mistakes over the years, and I agree about his last round with the Stones. Even though he was the only reason I saw them for the last time, and enjoyed it, it's hard not to admit that his playing ssemed unrehearsed. On his concerts over the last 20 years (seen him twice) he was not the act I was hoping for. I love his playing, and has spent the last 25-30 years developing a guitarstyle that recembles the ssme style as him. But- he could have wrked harder, and it's frustrating that he havent acheeved more than two solo albums...He could still have been the guitargod that he used to be...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-25 23:34 by S.T.P.

Date: October 25, 2019 23:52

DandelionPowderman

This one is worth reading, written by Dylan's drummer Colin Allen. Played with Taylor, and on many other occasions.

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 25, 2019 23:53

OpenG
All those players were real talented musicians and could play on the spot and not have to practice, practice, practice.

Well with Dylan you don't to practice, practice, practice cause you're never really given the opprotunity to practice, practice, practice.
Basically Bob's MO is rehearsing lots of songs that'll never be played in concert and, live, play songs that were hardly or never rehearsed during tour preparation. grinning smiley

All this to keep the band fresh and unjaded.

Back to MT : what's puzzling is his trajectoire in the 80's reflected the one he had in the 70's. His solo work was unremarkable and by far he delivered his best ones working for others. In the 70's it was putting in his superb touch on the stones' albums. In the 80's it was putting his superb touch on Dylan's "Infidels" album.
The two versions of "Blind Willie Mc Tell" (accoustic/electric) are masterpieces and are by far the best MT work of this decade. Or the 90's. Or the 00'.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-26 00:00 by dcba.

Date: October 26, 2019 02:58

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

Yeah I read Dylan’s bio and Dylan fired him for no apparent reason. From what I remember, Taylor was complaining because of Dylan’s LACK of preparation.

I agree with Open G, it’s amazing Taylor gets flack for playing in small blues clubs while mega bands have guys flying high on auto-pilot for thirty years with handlers. Some of which’s feeds were literally muted during live shows!

Date: October 26, 2019 10:18

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

This one is worth reading, written by Dylan's drummer Colin Allen. Played with Taylor, and on many other occasions.

[www.facebook.com]

I'll also recommend "All The Rage", Ian McLagan's bio. An excellent read.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 28, 2019 14:09

Taylor's stint with Dylan was flawed like hell. First off he didn't play on '30 tracks', but on selected tracks. Then he was missing in action for several gigs, prompting Dylan to fly in high profiled guitarists like Knopfler and even Santana. And Taylor was fired by Dylan for being absent for rehearsals and late for shows due to drug abuse. Listen to the audience tapes of these shows: some were terrible.

I don't care whether he plays small clubs or not, but at least show up prepared and rehearsed, do a sound check, show up not drunk and coked up, and play something else than the same 5 shitty songs for 25 years in a row. Taylor's biggest chance was when the Stones invited him back. And what does he do? Turn up totally unrehearsed. And make such a mess that in the end he and his manager were banned.

Yes Ron Wood has seen some bad years. But even then he toured with the Stones, recorded solo albums, did club gigs, guested on friends' albums and shows. Wood just simply loves playing. The Stones ended their tour this year, and the first thing Wood does is organize some small shows, just for fun.

Mathijs

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 28, 2019 14:51

MT doesn't seem to be band-leading anything on this vid :
[www.youtube.com]

Dylan is on though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-28 14:53 by dcba.

Date: October 28, 2019 16:25

Mathijs
Taylor's stint with Dylan was flawed like hell. First off he didn't play on '30 tracks', but on selected tracks. Then he was missing in action for several gigs, prompting Dylan to fly in high profiled guitarists like Knopfler and even Santana. And Taylor was fired by Dylan for being absent for rehearsals and late for shows due to drug abuse. Listen to the audience tapes of these shows: some were terrible.

Mathijs

What?!? I have heard most of the tour. First of all, Santana opened for Dylan so no he was not flown in. I haven’t heard a tape where Taylor wasn’t present, I’m not saying it didn’t happen, I’ve just never heard of that.

They had about 30 songs on the setlist to choose from every night and part of the set was Dylan solo ~5 songs a night out of 22 with encores that featured Santana. Taylor was on stage the majority of the night including encores.

Date: October 28, 2019 17:13

Well if Taylor's stint with Dylan was flawed we sure got a great live release with
Real Live from 1984 - The live versions of Master of War, Every Grain of Sand and I and I were fantastic along with the others.

Date: October 28, 2019 17:32

OpenG
Well if Taylor's stint with Dylan was flawed we sure got a great live release with
Real Live from 1984 - The live versions of Master of War, Every Grain of Sand and I and I were fantastic along with the others.

I love Every Grain of Sand, but it's not on Real Live?

Date: October 28, 2019 17:32

dcba
[www.youtube.com]

Dylan is on though.

That’s an encore jam with guests. Taylor put the band together and lead the band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-28 17:32 by TravelinMan.

Date: October 28, 2019 17:33

TravelinMan
dcba
[www.youtube.com]

Dylan is on though.

That’s an encore jam with guests. Taylor put the band together and lead the band.

In Mac's bio he claimed that Dylan brought him in, not Taylor.

Date: October 28, 2019 18:09

DP - yes I know I was referring to the live 1984 tour version - just saying those 3 songs sounded awesome live as well as Highway 61.

Well MT did not think his stint with Dylan was a complete waste - in fact in one interview I read he said playing with Dylan was the highlight of his career with Infidels and the 1984 tour. Dylan talked to MT about giving him advice to sue the stones if I remember.

Date: October 28, 2019 18:22

Mathijs

I don't care whether he plays small clubs or not, but at least show up prepared and rehearsed, do a sound check, show up not drunk and coked up, and play something else than the same 5 shitty songs for 25 years in a row. Taylor's biggest chance was when the Stones invited him back. And what does he do? Turn up totally unrehearsed. And make such a mess that in the end he and his manager were banned.

Yes Ron Wood has seen some bad years. But even then he toured with the Stones, recorded solo albums, did club gigs, guested on friends' albums and shows. Wood just simply loves playing. The Stones ended their tour this year, and the first thing Wood does is organize some small shows, just for fun.

Mathijs
The facts are the facts and you have made a air tight case and it is all very simple to understand . To bad , as I said earlier to me it is just a tremendous talent to waste . Love or hate Ronnie he answers the bell and shows up !

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 28, 2019 18:53

dcba
[www.youtube.com]

Dylan is on though.

Taylor is a gentleman there, letting the guest do his thing.....and even Taylor maybe realizes that......Clapton is God

BTW, Santana never fitted in on the 1984 tour, IMO. But I don't he fits anywhere, so.....
But Taylor was terrific

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-28 20:20 by Erik_Snow.

Date: October 28, 2019 18:58

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
dcba
[www.youtube.com]

Dylan is on though.

In Mac's bio he claimed that Dylan brought him in, not Taylor.

Originally it was to be Nicky Hopkins, and depending on the account, the reason for it not being Hopkins changes.

In the Dylan bio, Taylor was recruited by Dylan to put the band together. I’m not sure about who suggested Mac, but originally it was Nicky Hopkins.

Date: October 28, 2019 19:04

TheGreek
Mathijs

Mathijs
The facts are the facts and you have made a air tight case and it is all very simple to understand . To bad , as I said earlier to me it is just a tremendous talent to waste . Love or hate Ronnie he answers the bell and shows up !

Except I can’t wade through opinions to find facts.

The tapes of ‘84 I’ve heard I’ve enjoyed. England, Italy, Germany, you name it.

As far as most recently, I’ve liked the few improvs I’ve heard and I remember reading he did rehearse with the band before the tour so I’m not sure where that info is coming from.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 28, 2019 19:17

TravelinMan
Except I can’t wade through opinions to find facts.

The tapes of ‘84 I’ve heard I’ve enjoyed. England, Italy, Germany, you name it.

As far as most recently, I’ve liked the few improvs I’ve heard and I remember reading he did rehearse with the band before the tour so I’m not sure where that info is coming from.

There's hours of rehearsals from Los Angeles, May 1984, available via torrents and bootlegs

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 29, 2019 09:53

S.T.P
Mathijs
TravelinMan
I have one more question that you might have an answer to..? What's your opinion on what type of burst the 1972 guitar had... tea burst or cherry burst?

The original 58 to 60 bursts were of course all the same "Cherry Burst" from the factory...but differing subsequent histories & varying exposure to light down the years caused the finishes to fade & age differently .

This was exacerbated by changes to the red dye used in later production , which was very light sensitive and faded almost completely... to result in that finish that today we call "Unburst" .

All the other names, "Honey Burst", "Tea Burst" "Lemon Burst" etc are just names invented for attempts to mimic some the various ways in which the old guitars have faded and mellowed.

Date: October 29, 2019 12:35

Spud
S.T.P
Mathijs
TravelinMan
I have one more question that you might have an answer to..? What's your opinion on what type of burst the 1972 guitar had... tea burst or cherry burst?

The original 58 to 60 bursts were of course all the same "Cherry Burst" from the factory...but differing subsequent histories & varying exposure to light down the years caused the finishes to fade & age differently .

This was exacerbated by changes to the red dye used in later production , which was very light sensitive and faded almost completely... to result in that finish that today we call "Unburst" .

All the other names, "Honey Burst", "Tea Burst" "Lemon Burst" etc are just names invented for attempts to mimic some the various ways in which the old guitars have faded and mellowed.
So true , and starting in 1960 because of the fading issue the paint formula was changed to hold more of the red color and thusly the clown burst was born or the tomato burst of the Campbell Soup burst variety . Also 1960 vintage Les Paul's (last year in production until the 1968 reissue Goldtop P-90 Standard and Ebony Les Paul Custom ) necks became pencil thin , why I don't know ? 1958 Les Paul's had the biggest profile necks followed by a tad bit smaller profile in 1959 which was nice followed by the 1960 pencil thin necks .

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 12 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1626
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home