Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 8 of 13
Re: Mick T's Guitars
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 4, 2006 17:56

[peering hard:] maybe an Epiphone Crestwood?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 5, 2006 00:43

Erik_Snow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't remember seeing this before...is it
> Taylor's guitar Keith is playing?
>
> [i96.photobucket.com]
> bson.jpg

This is the best picture I have seen in years! All is there: Keith playing the TAMI Les Paul, the big stacks of Ampeg amps, his 3 pickup Les Paul Custom, the SM-57 (or it's precursor) in front of the 8*10, and above all: a great picture from 1969!

Great, truly great. Thanks!

Mathijs

Date: December 5, 2006 00:46

Smokey Wrote:
> Can someone ID Taylor's guitar here? TIA
>
> [i96.photobucket.com]
> -kansas.jpg

O.k., let me get this straight. So for 15 years I was not able to get a picture of Taylor with the Stones in '81. Now we got three pictures, and even one with a totally unidentified guitar.....

This is a wonderfull picture. Just truly great! The guitar? I really don't know. I haven't seen this one with the Stones nor with Taylor. It looks like something cheap, something Japanese. I really don't know!

Mathijs

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: December 8, 2006 03:09

What a coincidence! MJ has also this Blues model.

Date: December 17, 2006 13:39

Erik_Snow Wrote:
> I was slightly joking Smokey....but you could have
> credited me for christsake..
>
> Here is the picture, at last.
>
>

I have figured out the strange guitar Taylor plays in Kansas '81 with the Stones: it's either a '62 Epiphone Coronet, or a '60/61 Epiphone Wilshire! The reason why I don't know which one for sure is that the one-pickup Coronet did not have a screwed-on T-shaped faceplate on its peghead, and the two pickup Wishire did have that faceplate. Taylors guitar appears to only have one pickup, but it does have a faceplate.

These guitar were Epiphone's take on the Les Paul Junior, and according to many collectors they are better guitars than Juniors. Especially slide players really like these guitars.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-17 13:40 by Mathijs.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 17, 2006 14:11

say hallelujah - thank you Mathijs!
i am goofily pleased that i hazarded that it was an Epiphone - all your great Guitar Lessons are working!
if someone wants some closer looks at these models ... hm, i hope this link works: [www.gbase.com]
that's what came up on that Gbase site when i searched for 1960-62 solidbody Epiphones
(and thanks very much, Bruno, for pointing out that site!)

Posted by: Luke33 ()
Date: December 17, 2006 14:47

Reptile Wrote:
> Notice how in every one of the pictures he looks
> practically identical. Same pose, same look on his
> face. It's like they only have one picture of him
> and paste it in every time.

maybe if Keith & ronnie concentrated on playing guitar like Mick T then we might see some quality ??

Posted by: Luke33 ()
Date: December 17, 2006 14:58

Mathijs Wrote:
> Erik_Snow Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I can't remember seeing this before...is it
> > Taylor's guitar Keith is playing?
> >
> >
> [i96.photobucket.com]
>
> > bson.jpg
>
> This is the best picture I have seen in years! All
> is there: Keith playing the TAMI Les Paul, the big
> stacks of Ampeg amps, his 3 pickup Les Paul
> Custom, the SM-57 (or it's precursor) in front of
> the 8*10, and above all: a great picture from
> 1969!
>
> Great, truly great. Thanks!
>
> Mathijs

Can someone post this pic ? The link has expired....thanks!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 17, 2006 15:04

Luke33 Wrote:
>
> Can someone post this pic ? The link has
> expired....thanks!

No it's there, you'll have to go one page back.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 17, 2006 15:44

Luke33 Wrote:

> Can someone post this pic ? The link has
> expired....thanks!

Yeah it's still there, but when you quote someone it splits the photo link with > > so thats why it doesn't show photos when you quote. Unless you delete the > > of course. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-17 15:46 by His Majesty.

Posted by: kait ()
Date: December 17, 2006 16:14

this is from austrian tv, spring 1996,
taylor played losing my faith (playback)
on an awful green fender.
sorry about the bad quality, but i took
these snapshots from the video:

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: March 18, 2007 17:19

I just reread the first few pages of this thread, and Kait - those pics you just posted are very timely! Regarding Mick T.'s financial state in the mid-'90s, I had some business dealings with a fairly successful producer/guitarist a couple of years ago and, when I found out he'd crossed paths with the Stones, immediately started asking for details. One thing he said that stuck with me was that when Mick T. came out to his studio to record (mid to late '90s), the guitar he showed up with was "a crappy Mexican Strat".

It was pretty jarring to hear that one of the greatest lead guitarists of all time was playing a $300 guitar.

Posted by: Haristone ()
Date: March 19, 2007 01:15

i have this old picture of mick T.

don't know when or where it was taken.

mathijs always says mick T bought the guitar late 1967.

mick T looks so young on this one !

maybe the poster in the back could help ?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 19, 2007 06:41

Haristone Wrote:
> i have this old picture of mick T.
>
> don't know when or where it was taken.
>
> mathijs always says mick T bought the guitar late
> 1967.
>
> mick T looks so young on this one !
>
> maybe the poster in the back could help ?
>
> [i115.photobucket.com]
> withburst.jpg

The poster on the left mentions The Nice and photo/poster of The Yardbirds(I think by Gered Mankowitz?) with Jimmy Page in full physch mode places it to 1967 at the earliest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-19 14:55 by His Majesty.

Posted by: MTFan ()
Date: February 19, 2008 14:30

Taylor sold all his guitars in the early 80's to sustain his drug addiction. The '73 Euro guitar is now owned by a member of the LP forum.

Mathijs

I wonder were he got the money to sustain his addiction later,he had several xpensive guitars in the 80 tees&90tees,but a heavy drug-addict until 1995?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 28, 2009 19:02

stonesfrk
Yeah. That's a trip. It's like a bixby which i don't dig either but you can take them off just like a strat Whammy bar. I knew the sg were called les pauls that's what i meant it was a weird couple of years Les Paul did that but thats why he brought back the original because he knew they were the SH**. He had a bunch of the body's left from the fifties and a lot of 1968 and 69 pauls are the real deal like Woody Black 68 my brother has one it sounds unbelievable.
Mathijs, is there any truth to this statement that a lot of the early reisue (68,69)les pauls body's left over . to me this would be news . never heard that one before .one thing that i do know the 68,69 ,and 70 les paul necks had no volute on the back of the headstock .so that's one difference .maybe you can offer your analysis please ?

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: May 29, 2009 02:58

The Greek
Mathijs, is there any truth to this statement that a lot of the early reisue (68,69)les pauls body's left over . to me this would be news . never heard that one before .one thing that i do know the 68,69 ,and 70 les paul necks had no volute on the back of the headstock .so that's one difference .maybe you can offer your analysis please ?
While you wait for Mathijs to my best of my knowledge the first '68 Gold Top reissues were made from left over Les Paul bodies from the 50's. Not so sure about after 1968 though...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 29, 2009 15:09

ChrisM
The Greek
While you wait for Mathijs to my best of my knowledge the first '68 Gold Top reissues were made from left over Les Paul bodies from the 50's. Not so sure about after 1968 though...
thank you for the info !

Date: May 29, 2009 20:05

MTFan
Taylor sold all his guitars in the early 80's to sustain his drug addiction. The '73 Euro guitar is now owned by a member of the LP forum.

Mathijs

I wonder were he got the money to sustain his addiction later,he had several xpensive guitars in the 80 tees&90tees,but a heavy drug-addict until 1995?

A vintage LP sold for $10K to $30K in '83 and about $150K to $250K these days. Taylor has played regular production LP's in the 80's and '90's that cost $1500 the most, and he's playing a Historic 1959 Reissue these days, costing about $4000.

I understand that he sold his entire collection in the early 80's, which included a Nocaster, a ES-355, several Strats and a SG, all vintage.

Mathijs

Mathijs

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: June 17, 2009 07:32

Stranger
Taylor and Richards also used to share guitars, which can make it hard to follow what happened. Taylor has said in interviews it has always mystified him why Keith wanted to sell his (Bigsby equipped) Les Paul Standard in '67 (a few years later, he still seemed to like it). Unfortunately this guitar was not found back and re-united with its rightful owner (MT), after it got nicked from Nellcote.
If there are guitar traders that claim they have a vintage Les Paul that was once owned by Mick Taylor then they must have bought it from a third party. Maybe the person that paid the burglars/thieves for the instrument ? If they didn't buy it directly from the person that stole it - buying something that you know must have been stolen (a guitar trader should be suspicious when the asking price is a fraction of the real value) is a criminal offence, by the way.

So the following story is apocryphal?

[www.gardinerhoulgate.co.uk]
Gardiner Houlgate to Sell £100,000 Gibson Guitar
HISTORY OF THE 1959 GIBSON LES PAUL STANDARD GUITAR
The vendor John Scates was already an experienced, road hardened veteran of several 60's bands when, in 1968, while performing with an in vogue blues band called Pegasus, he saw an advert in the Melody Maker for a Gibson Les Paul Standard. At the time this desirable yet discontinued model was becoming ever more difficult to get hold of. More in hope than anticipation, John called the number advertised and was surprised to find he was speaking to Mick Taylor, who had only recently taken over as guitarist with The Blues Breakers, replacing Peter Green and later to replace Brian Jones in The Rolling Stones. An appointment was made and John went to Mick's West London flat where he handed over £200 and left with the Les Paul. Although a receipt was made out this has subsequently been misplaced.
When John Scates viewed the guitar it was apparent that a Bigsby unit was taken off and replaced with a non-standard stop tail piece. This was later changed by John to a standard fitting, but the Mick Taylor tail piece is offered with the guitar. Otherwise the guitar was and still is original in all respects.
The rather battered case is a non-standard case but is the one that came with the guitar and has suffered countless gigs.
Pegasus, although not commercially successful, were a tight and musical blues outfit and they soon became the unofficial resident support band at the Marquee where John, wielding his beloved standard, supported bands such as Free; Paul Kossoff played John's standard and loved it so much he offered to trade for a black three pick-up Les Paul, the offer was declined. ...
The auction will take place at The Westbury Hotel in Mayfair, London, on Monday 5 October 2009. For further information contact Jamie South (Director) or Luke Hobbs.

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: December 15, 2010 09:33

From the Stephen Dale Petit 100 Club show on December 1, 2010

It looks somewhat familiar and then it doesn't.

Date: December 15, 2010 12:43

I hope someone sees this question in here, but I didn't want to start a whole new thread:
in the song "Dance Little Sister" when Taylor takes the solo, he uses what IMO sounds like a whammy bar. And I also always thought the guitar he is playing sounds much like a LP. I can not think of what kind of guitar that he was playing in that time would fit that description.

Date: December 15, 2010 13:05

Palace Revolution 2000
I hope someone sees this question in here, but I didn't want to start a whole new thread:
in the song "Dance Little Sister" when Taylor takes the solo, he uses what IMO sounds like a whammy bar. And I also always thought the guitar he is playing sounds much like a LP. I can not think of what kind of guitar that he was playing in that time would fit that description.

He plays his '63 sunburst Strat with rosewood board, switch in second position.

Mathijs

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: December 15, 2010 14:37

Definitely sounds like a Strat on DLS

That's the fist time I've seen MT with a LP+Bigsby recently. Is it a reissue or vintage?

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: December 15, 2010 19:17

WeLoveYou
Definitely sounds like a Strat on DLS

That's the fist time I've seen MT with a LP+Bigsby recently. Is it a reissue or vintage?
I was wondering that myself. close ups from the 100 Club gig show alot of wear around the headstock and the black bakelite that was on the Bigsby is worn off. It's not the the original 'Keith' burst Mick originally purchased in 1967 but it certainly looks vintage. Could a relic'd Gibon Historic. If anyone knows please pass it along!

Date: December 16, 2010 00:02

Mathijs
Palace Revolution 2000

Mathijs

How is he getting that fat sound from a single coil ? I really thought it was a Humbucker. Maybe I should post in the "headphones/concerts" thread on Pg 1.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-16 00:03 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: Stones Blah ()
Date: December 16, 2010 04:57

The guitar on DLS is a Strat, without any doubt.

Date: December 16, 2010 10:08

Palace Revolution 2000
Mathijs
Palace Revolution 2000

Mathijs

How is he getting that fat sound from a single coil ? I really thought it was a Humbucker. Maybe I should post in the "headphones/concerts" thread on Pg 1.

Well, a good single coil can be as loud, or even louder than a bucker. A 11 kOhm Broadcaster lead pickup is a louder screamer than a 7.2 kOhm vintage PAF. Listen to the first Zep album -recorded with a Tele. The rosewood board helps as well, as it takes of the edges of the single coil sound.

Amp here sounds like a Deluxe Reverb btw.

Mathijs

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 16, 2010 19:18

Mathijs

Mathijs

by second position, you mean between the bridge and middle pickups?

Date: December 17, 2010 02:36

Mathijs
Palace Revolution 2000
Mathijs
Palace Revolution 2000

Mathijs

Well, a good single coil can be as loud, or even louder than a bucker. A 11 kOhm Broadcaster lead pickup is a louder screamer than a 7.2 kOhm vintage PAF. Listen to the first Zep album -recorded with a Tele. The rosewood board helps as well, as it takes of the edges of the single coil sound.

Amp here sounds like a Deluxe Reverb btw.

Mathijs

excellent observation about the different wood.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 8 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2161
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home