Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4647484950515253545556...LastNext
Current Page: 51 of 138
Re: Hackney Diamonds - New Rolling Stones album due out soon!
Posted by: Putty ()
Date: September 4, 2023 04:36

Hairball
maumau

in a few hours we will begin to have answers to all questions, Mr Wotman's role included (big hint being if Keith plays or not in the tracks co-written by the producer).

For what is worth, though, reading about and listening to Pop, Osbourne and Vedder's albums, Watt's working process seems to follow predictable guidelines in terms of songwritings input and credits, session musicians involved and even guests appearences (see Elton John both in Ordinary Man and Picture (where you have Vedder's counting intro btw spinning smiley sticking its tongue out )

He's also been known to contribute some guitar (among other instruments) to many of those recordings. He could possibly play the same role that Waddy Wachtel did on Bridges where Waddy played a variety of guitar (electric and acoustic) on quite a few tracks. Not sure if Keith would go for any of that, especially if there's any truth to the story of him having issues with Watt's production tactic's, but guess we'll find out soon enough!
Meanwhile, here's a clip of Andrew Watt wildly shredding away...he certainly has some shredability skills, but probably best suited for the Ozzy's of the world. If indeed he does play any guitar on the Stones album, hope he reels it in and shows a bit of class and respect for the Stones...maybe some acoustic and/or basic rhythm at the most. Please leave the rest to Keith, Ronnie...and even Mick.

Thay’s quite energetic for someone that just woke up in his pajamas.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 4, 2023 04:56

smiling smiley

Yes indeed, but you should see and hear how energetic he is when he's fully awake and all dressed up properly!
He then takes on a new persona and becomes known as...MegaWatt!

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 4, 2023 06:51

doitywoik
Rocky Dijon
Cristiano Radtke
There's some interesting song titles registered on the ASCAP website. Those marked with (*) features Andrew Watt as co-writer.

Angry *
Bite my Head Off
Depending on You *
Dreamy Skies
Driving me Too Hard
Get Close *
Live by the Sword
Mess it Up
Sweet Sounds of Heaven
Tell me Straight
Whole Wide World

[www.ascap.com]

Interesting that Keith claimed to have had "three dynamite riffs" and that Macca claims that Andrew Watt came aboard to mediate between Mick and Keith. It would appear the Andrew that ended their recording career played the same role as the Andrew at the beginning. Indeed, he is also filling the role that Ronnie or Don Was previously were able to do successfully until they "hit a wall" as some of us love to say. As much as "Angry" sounds like something Mick came up with that sounded Stones-ish, there is the possibility that Andrew Watt's three writing credits are for Keith's "three dynamite riffs" that he helped steer between the two Glimmers.

I've also been wondering which of the songs feature Keith's thee dynamite riffs - provided they made the final cut. I would rather have guessed that the Watt songs are not the Keith songs - provided the rumours that Keith was not so found of choosing Watt as a further producer are domewhat correct.

For my part, I hope that Keith's reggae (if the is one) is reserved for a b-side and not part of the album. The reggaes alsways seemed like foreign bodies on the albums.

I agree re any reggae tune. It’s the only genre of music they’ve played/had on albums that I feel they don’t genuinely inhabit. When they do Soul, they ARE a soul band. When they do the Blues, they ARE a blues band. When they do Country, they ARE a country band etc. They seem to inhabit that genre. But to me, when they do Reggae, they’re nice, but they’re imposters. They don’t seem to genuinely LIVE in that genre, they’re just paying it a form of lip service.

Rod

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: September 4, 2023 07:46

The reggae tunes fit them because the Stones are pirates and they sailed to Jamaica and lived with the locals

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: September 4, 2023 08:43

So, the consensus seems to be that there will be an announcement/press conference at The 'ackney Empire on 6th.

There are two unknowns.

The first is whether or not there will be some sort of stunt (blimp-style). Rumours of Mick sky diving in are wholly unfounded.

The second is whether or not it will be streamed on any social media so that we can all, subject to timezone, watch it as it happens.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 4, 2023 08:58

bitusa2012

I agree re any reggae tune. It’s the only genre of music they’ve played/had on albums that I feel they don’t genuinely inhabit. When they do Soul, they ARE a soul band. When they do the Blues, they ARE a blues band. When they do Country, they ARE a country band etc. They seem to inhabit that genre. But to me, when they do Reggae, they’re nice, but they’re imposters. They don’t seem to genuinely LIVE in that genre, they’re just paying it a form of lip service.

You Dont Have To Mean It is easily Keith’s worst solo track imo.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 4, 2023 09:08

At the press conference, it will be interesting to observe the relationship between Mick and Keith, the way they talk about the album and the creative process, and of course their perception of Andrew Wattt's role... And its importance!

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 4, 2023 09:37

Forgive my ignorance, but are these type of release press conferences open to the public, or strictly reserved dor the...press?

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: September 4, 2023 10:09

CaptainCorella
So, the consensus seems to be that there will be an announcement/press conference at The 'ackney Empire on 6th.

There are two unknowns.

The first is whether or not there will be some sort of stunt (blimp-style). Rumours of Mick sky diving in are wholly unfounded.

The second is whether or not it will be streamed on any social media so that we can all, subject to timezone, watch it as it happens.

"Hackney Archives is closed from 10am to 2pm on Wednesday 6 September for staff training. Normal opening times resume from 2pm onwards."
[hackney.gov.uk]

Posted by: mkbbcmr ()
Date: September 4, 2023 10:34

Bieber, Britney, Miley, Elton, Dua Lipa, Sheeran, Vedder, Iggy, Ozzy, Maroon 5... and now the Stones? Watt!?

Can't help being slightly sceptical. A new sensation when it comes to the Stones who have never disappointed me in 60 years. Okay, there has been the odd track I could have done without (rarely!) but I truly appreciated every single and every LP when they were first released, from "Come On" to "Living In A Ghost Town", from "The Rolling Stones" to "Blue & Lonesome". Now? A little trepidation, I must confess. Based on his (highly dubious) body of work, I don't really trust that Watt fella. Would love to be proven wrong, though.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: September 4, 2023 10:36

dcba
bitusa2012

You Dont Have To Mean It is easily Keith’s worst solo track imo.

That may be my favorite Stones track of the 90’s. IMO.

Date: September 4, 2023 10:45

Angry's opening riff has become a permanent resident earworm.
Can't wait til the full thing drops down...

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: September 4, 2023 10:49

I am 62 years old.
A fan since 1970.
Its September 2023.
My Stones are 80 years old (Mick already, Keith almost).
And today a new Rolling Stones Album will come out.
Un-be-lie-vable!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 4, 2023 10:50

CaptainCorella

Universal Music did a livestream for ABBA's album announcement .... they could do the same for the Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-04 12:00 by Irix.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: September 4, 2023 10:58

If Andrew Watt was Watts both him and Daryl Jones have the same surnames as Brian and Charlie

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: September 4, 2023 11:03

colonial
If Andrew Watt was Watts both him and Daryl Jones have the same surnames as Brian and Charlie

If Andrew Watt was Watts both him and Charlie Watts had the same surnames as Brian and Darryl.

Date: September 4, 2023 11:05

Hairball
maumau

in a few hours we will begin to have answers to all questions, Mr Wotman's role included (big hint being if Keith plays or not in the tracks co-written by the producer).

For what is worth, though, reading about and listening to Pop, Osbourne and Vedder's albums, Watt's working process seems to follow predictable guidelines in terms of songwritings input and credits, session musicians involved and even guests appearences (see Elton John both in Ordinary Man and Picture (where you have Vedder's counting intro btw spinning smiley sticking its tongue out )

He's also been known to contribute some guitar (among other instruments) to many of those recordings. He could possibly play the same role that Waddy Wachtel did on Bridges where Waddy played a variety of guitar (electric and acoustic) on quite a few tracks. Not sure if Keith would go for any of that, especially if there's any truth to the story of him having issues with Watt's production tactic's, but guess we'll find out soon enough!
Meanwhile, here's a clip of Andrew Watt wildly shredding away...he certainly has some shredability skills, but probably best suited for the Ozzy's of the world. If indeed he does play any guitar on the Stones album, hope he reels it in and shows a bit of class and respect for the Stones...maybe some acoustic and/or basic rhythm at the most. Please leave the rest to Keith, Ronnie...and even Mick.

That’s awful

Rod

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 4, 2023 11:08

This is really fun and it’s interesting as hell. There is almost nothing about this band that Most of the people here don’t know.
But ( and it kills me to admit this)i can’t tell if That is Keith or Mick imitating him.
And I can’t tell if it’s Charlie or Steve imitating him. The closing the high hat says Charlie but MR Watts wacked the fck out of those drums and this is a bit soft.
Love the riff and beginning of the song, it’s gonna be really good but that riff is too weak for Keith and those drums.. maybe Charlie but I doubt it.anyone who has ever listened to the Voodoo Lounge outtakes will understand.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 4, 2023 11:08

CaptainCorella

I bet it will be streamed. Streaming a press conference is nothing new to the Stones, they did that back in 2005 with the A Bigger Bang tour announcement. You guys remember watching that and trying to figure out the lyrics to "Oh No, Not You Again"?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-04 11:33 by Topi.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 4, 2023 11:10

That would be great !

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-04 11:11 by powerage78.

Date: September 4, 2023 11:25

Topi

Ozzy Osbourne's 1989 event in Helsinki.

Ozzy Osbourne belongs to Sony Music (Epic) .... so no comparison with ABBA. winking smiley

Date: September 4, 2023 11:29

I wasn't comparing Ozzy and ABBA per se. I wanted to show you a press conference that's not boring. Don't get angry with me! winking smiley

Date: September 4, 2023 11:32

London weather 6th September mostly sunny

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Date: September 4, 2023 11:34

colonial

I hope what BV wrote back in 2005 holds true:

"Every time the Stones do a press conference, the weather is great, it seems" [iorr.org]

Date: September 4, 2023 11:38

As regards A Bigger Bang, I didn't actually remember that they first announced the tour in May 2005 (and played one new song live), but only announced the album and its name in July 2005, on Mick's birthday.

Date: September 4, 2023 11:40

Topi
colonial

I hope what BV wrote back in 2005 holds true:

"Every time the Stones do a press conference, the weather is great, it seems" [iorr.org]

Love those sunny Autumn days

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: September 4, 2023 11:43

Topi
As regards A Bigger Bang, I didn't actually remember that they first announced the tour in May 2005 (and played one new song live), but only announced the album and its name in July 2005, on Mick's birthday.

Yes, it was the "On Stage Tour" first

Date: September 4, 2023 11:45

CaptainCorella

When it's in London 2:30pm (14:30) on 6th Sept., then it's in:

Tokyo 22:30

Perth (AUS) 21:30

Sydney (AUS) 23:30

Auckland (NZ) 7th Sept., 01:30am

For other cities, see: [www.TimeAndDate.com] .

Date: September 4, 2023 11:50

lem motlow

ABBA seriously

Because they belong to Universal Music and announced after 40 years a studio album during a live event .... there could be similarities to the Rolling Stones.

Date: September 4, 2023 11:53

What I’d like from this album are riff-driven songs where the riff plays through the entire song, ala JJF or Satisfaction.

Too often recently (last 40 years!) we get a riff intro and then rather generic rhythm guitar thru the rest of the song.

Rod

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4647484950515253545556...LastNext
Current Page: 51 of 138

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2215
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home