Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789
Current Page: 9 of 9
Re: Keith's custom guitars (and other odd ones)
Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: January 25, 2012 08:47

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: January 25, 2012 13:57

So many guitars.

I have a few.

Do any of you ever feel that when you play one guitar you are betraying the others?

I get all guilty.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 31, 2012 00:06

Man I love this thread, thanks withssoul. Can't stay here too long without reachin' for a guitar, that's inspiration......peace

Posted by: tmaarud ()
Date: October 25, 2012 10:06

with sssoul
eureka: finally found it - i knew it was around here somewhere!
the photo that the gallant ChrisM posted in 05 of Keith using the DA in 72: [www.iorr.org]

- also San Francisco june 8th 1972? courtesy of Harold Colson, via ChrisM

and here's what the learned Mathijs told us about it, at right around the same time: [www.iorr.org]

"About the Ampeg Dan Armstrong: Keith used these last during the first couple 1972 shows.
His original two were stolen at Nellcote, and he replaced these for the 1972 tour.
According to himself, they weren't as good as the original prototypes he had, and he would never play them again [until 2005]"

This might have been said before, but couldn't seem to find it:

Someone suggested that it might be that the DA-guitar was used on Tumbling Diece in 72. Well, from looking at this picture I almost instantly think: "Street Fighting Man". Compare to live videos of the same song from MSG69 or Ladies And Gentlemen. The chord he's playing in this instant is an E which is in all verses of SFM. Look also at how his right hand is located, typically SFM. Very much in the style of playing that song, shitloads of attack and power from a so called "upstroke" while Jagger sings: "eeev"- and then a chord change and a downstroke to "ry", and the upstroke again "whe" and downstroke "re",alltogether "evrywhere i hear the sound..." - and so on. While Tumbling Dice is more mellow, with the right hand located more in the pickgurad/pickup area.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 25, 2012 10:36

tmaarud
with sssoul
the photo that the gallant ChrisM posted in 05 of Keith using the DA in 72: [www.iorr.org]

and here's what the learned Mathijs told us about it, at right around the same time: [www.iorr.org]

"About the Ampeg Dan Armstrong: Keith used these last during the first couple 1972 shows.
His original two were stolen at Nellcote, and he replaced these for the 1972 tour.
According to himself, they weren't as good as the original prototypes he had, and he would never play them again [until 2005]"

Someone suggested that it might be that the DA-guitar was used on Tumbling Diece in 72. Well, from looking at this picture I almost instantly think: "Street Fighting Man". Compare to live videos of the same song from MSG69 or Ladies And Gentlemen. The chord he's playing in this instant is an E which is in all verses of SFM. Look also at how his right hand is located, typically SFM. Very much in the style of playing that song, shitloads of attack and power from a so called "upstroke" while Jagger sings: "eeev"- and then a chord change and a downstroke to "ry", and the upstroke again "whe" and downstroke "re",alltogether "evrywhere i hear the sound..." - and so on. While Tumbling Dice is more mellow, with the right hand located more in the pickgurad/pickup area.

I actually think it is JJF flash he's playing, the last open B chord of the last 2 bars of the chorus.

It is unknown on which shows and which songs exactly he played the DA's, but pics suggest it's only the first couple shows (say to SF), and only JJF and SFM.

Mathijs

Posted by: tmaarud ()
Date: October 25, 2012 13:08

Mathijs
tmaarud
with sssoul

I actually think it is JJF flash he's playing, the last open B chord of the last 2 bars of the chorus.

It is unknown on which shows and which songs exactly he played the DA's, but pics suggest it's only the first couple shows (say to SF), and only JJF and SFM.

Mathijs

Hehe, i love this stuff man! Still, I think I will disagree with you on what song he's playing, no hard feelings right? I know you've got tons more knowledge on The Stones than me, but anyway. To me it looks like his, ehm ring finger/3. finger touches the fretboard on the 9th fret and his right arm has just done an upstroke. If it was the last chord of JJF i think he'd rather just have done a downstroke. But still, it's the disagreement, and the speculations that make all this so exciting right? At least, I think we can agree on being agree that the songs performed on the DA in 72 were JJF AND SFM. But again, I think I might have seen a pic with a DA with no capo from 72, so let's keep guessing and studying.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 9, 2015 14:32

According to Under the Influence, this is the guitar Keith used to start what turned into Blues in the Morning:

DandelionPowderman
Here it is:

- 2015 from Under the Influence; screen capture by the deft DandelionPowderman

And here's a National that looks quite similar:

DandelionPowderman
A cousin to this National?

- courtesy of the sharp-eyed DandelionPoderman

What model is that in the photo, Dande dear?
And is this another relative, which might be why the guitar above reminds someone of Jimmy Reed?

- courtesy of M. Bolam (don't know who took it when, sorry!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-09 15:36 by with sssoul.

Date: October 9, 2015 15:46

It's a 1959 NATIONAL Val-Trol Baron Electric Guitar.

Date: October 9, 2015 22:54

DandelionPowderman
It's a 1959 NATIONAL Val-Trol Baron Electric Guitar.

Thanks my dear - how did you manage to unearth that? I can't find any information about it anywhere.

Date: October 9, 2015 22:57

[canadianvintageguitarhunt.blogspot.no]

I googled vintage National electric guitars, found the pic and clicked the link to where the pic was posted - and voila, there was the info.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-09 22:59 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 9, 2015 23:01

The body shape and headstock of Jimmy's guitar looks identical to my eyes.

Date: October 10, 2015 01:08

DandelionPowderman

Thanks for confirming that it looks related, even though it's clearly a different model.
When I think of Jimmy Reed I think of that Silvertone, so this is a good Learning Opportunity for me. :E

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 10, 2015 02:50

with sssoul
DandelionPowderman

Thanks for confirming that it looks related, even though it's clearly a different model.
When I think of Jimmy Reed I think of that Silvertone, so this is a good Learning Opportunity for me. :E

Yes interesting info. for me too. But the headstock and body have pretty distinct differences if you look closely. The cutaway is different, it molds more closely into the neck and the headstock has slightly concave sides where Jimmy Reed's guitar looks straight.

Date: October 10, 2015 08:58

with sssoul
DandelionPowderman

They are obviously not identical, I meant almost identical.

Date: October 14, 2015 17:16

And here's the background story on that guitar - thanks very much for posting it, Tubeman!

Tubeman
This is not a new story but in the recent Keith documentary on Netflix, Keith requests that Pierre have the same guitar restored.

This is the guitar he purchased from Deniz Tek of Radio Birdman.

Radio Birdman is well known across Australia UK & Europe (not so much US)

Deniz's story on selling the guitar, and hanging out with Keith, Mick Taylor and Bobby Keyes is in the link below. Deniz has retold the story in light seeing his old guitar in the documentary.

Link to Updated Story Below

Deniz Tek Guitar Sold to Keith

Re: Newman-Jones guitars
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 19, 2016 11:15

with sssoul
a couple of shots from 73 -
details/insights more than welcome, please and thank you very kindly!

- 1973, by Robert Knight (courtesy BrownEyedGirll)

- 1973 (Hankeroot/Sunshine/Retna, courtesy BrownEyedGirll)

This guitar has returned! it's not stolen, burned or given away. It's hanging in the Saatchi gallery, in full glory.

Mathijs

Re: Newman-Jones guitars
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: April 19, 2016 14:06

Mathijs
with sssoul
a couple of shots from 73 -
details/insights more than welcome, please and thank you very kindly!

- 1973, by Robert Knight (courtesy BrownEyedGirll)

- 1973 (Hankeroot/Sunshine/Retna, courtesy BrownEyedGirll)

This guitar has returned! it's not stolen, burned or given away. It's hanging in the Saatchi gallery, in full glory.

Mathijs

Awesome! If Exhibition comes to Stockholm, I'm sure as hell going!

Goto Page: Previous123456789
Current Page: 9 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1931
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home