Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9
Re: Newman-Jones guitars ... and other oddities
Posted by: gwen ()
Date: November 19, 2005 13:52

Travis Bean, right ?

See here : [www.travisbeanguitars.com]

Date: November 19, 2005 14:08

An old post from Mathijs (http://www.iorr.org/talk/read.php?1,6081,6992 - 2001!) :

In my opinion the strangest guitar Keith has ever used (apart from the 1958 Flying V he used during Hyde Park, this guitar is rated at $150.000 nowadays) is a 5-string Travis Bean 1000 Artist, made especially for Keith by Travis Bean himself (Keith used it on Before They Make Me Run at the New Barbarians gigs). As only one 5-string TB is reported to be made, this must be the rarest guitar, even rarer than the 5-string custom made Ted Neman-Jones guitar Keith used in 1973, from which at least five copies are known to exist!

However your picture looks like a 6 strings to me.

See here for an history of Bean's guitars :

[www.autohobbydigest.com]

Re: ... and other oddities
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 19, 2005 14:10

>> Travis Bean, right? <<

that's what it looks like to me, Gwen! nice site, thanks for that.
it would be way cool to hear what Keith used this guitar for - if i recall right, he's got a Travis Bean in the 78 SNL performance,
but my DVD is out on loan at the moment so i can't check whether it's this same one.
i also have the impression that Keith's said (or implied) that he doesn't much like the feel of the metal neck - does anyone else recall something like that?
and as usual i'd love to hear what these instruments are like to play ...

ps: thanks for that post from Mathijs as well - very interesting indeed!
i'll be on the lookout for shots of that 5-string Bean for sure.
do we know what became of it?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-24 19:44 by with sssoul.

Date: November 19, 2005 14:19

You're welcome - your guitar threads have been very refreshing and I'm just very happy if I can be of any help (for once I had some time to google a bit).

Date: November 22, 2005 00:32

just a gentle bump - i told you i'm tenacious. :E
and i'd still love to hear more about Keith's Travis Beans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-27 20:32 by with sssoul.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: November 22, 2005 04:03

He used a Travis Bean on SNL in 1978.
I think he also uses one in the She's So Cold promo clip.

Date: November 23, 2005 17:31

>> I think he also uses one in the She's So Cold promo clip. <<

yes he sure does - thanks TomK! they're nice-looking instruments, aren't they.
my SNL is still out on loan - can anyone recall (or check to see) which number(s) Keith uses a Travis Bean for on it?
please and thank you kindly - and have some popcorn. :E

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-27 15:12 by with sssoul.

Date: January 1, 2006 14:07

i don't have a photo this time, sorry - maybe someone else will.
what is that gold-speckled black guitar Keith's using on Monkey Man on Four Flicks (disks 1 & 2)?
he also used it on Slipping Away in 95. any insights will be made very welcome.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-27 20:33 by with sssoul.

Re: Keith's custom guitars (and other odd ones)
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: January 1, 2006 16:22

I don't have the SNL footage in front of me but I want to say that it was "Shattered" with the TB guitar. I owned a Travis once and I absolutely hated it. Could not stand the neck; there;s somethign "off" about the feel of metal on the eback of the neck. Plus that guitar was SO HEAVY!!! Everything was constantly rusting, or trying to. But I gues someone like Keith would not have such a problem. He has guitar-take-carers...
If TomK sees this post I wonder if he couild tell why the Zemaitis is such a beau.
Out if curiousity I wonder why sssoul says it is obvious that that 78 pic is not "Whip". I agree but I wonder if I am missing some other obvious points. Actually Keith alone could be doing Whip IMO. I also associate that guitar so much with 76.
Keith must have either gone shopping or done some overhauling of guitars between trhe US and the Euro leg of the 72-73 tour. In 72 he still played all standard guitars. Obviously modified, and Keithified but still the classic Tele, Strat, Les Paul selection. Starting in 73 he began to receive all those gifts of custom jobs. He became a walking bestower of street cred!

Date: January 1, 2006 17:17

thanks for the input, Chelsea Drugstore - i love hearing what these instruments are like to play.
and (unless they burned up or something) Keith must have had some kind of problem with the Travis Beans too
- he didn't use them very much or very long.

>> it was "Shattered" with the TB guitar. <<

Shattered and Respectable - it's not the one in the 75 photo, though; it's the same black one he's got in the She's So Cold video.

>> Out if curiousity I wonder why sssoul says it is obvious that that 78 pic is not "Whip". <<

because Mick doesn't have a guitar.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-27 20:33 by with sssoul.

Date: January 1, 2006 18:56

Ah, you are so smart sssoul! LOL, damn how could I miss that one? haha, I was looking at the A- chord on Keith's left hand, standard tuning and IU thought it could be "Whip", plus Ronnie soloing on his superfine axe. Jagger is already pretty soaked but if it was inside it still could have been Whip if they had played it fairly late in the set. Don't know if you went to any 78 shows but I tell you what the one common denominator was at every show I was at: BLISTERIN HEAT!

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: January 1, 2006 21:31

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> If TomK sees this post I wonder if he couild tell
> why the Zemaitis is such a beau.

Greetings! and Happy New Year!
Regarding the Zemaitis' I've played, it's a bit hard to describe.
Like if you find a really good Les PAul or Strat, you just know.
The Zemaitis I played felt good, sounded evern better, were made with Mahogony,
24 frets, pretty similiar to Ron's silver one, VERY unique tone,
great for soloing, beautiful craftsmanship. Mind you, Zemaitis is dead now,
so if you see one in a music store that says it's a new one hand-made by him, it's not.I believe his estate produces a few guitars a year, but they are NOT hand-made by Tony Z. Check out the Harmony Central website for reviews on Zemaitis guitars (plus everything esle).

Date: January 1, 2006 21:37

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ah, you are so smart sssoul! LOL, damn how could I
> miss that one? haha, I was looking at the A- chord
> on Keith's left hand, standard tuning and IU
> thought it could be "Whip", plus Ronnie soloing on
> his superfine axe. Jagger is already pretty soaked
> but if it was inside it still could have been Whip
> if they had played it fairly late in the set.
> Don't know if you went to any 78 shows but I tell
> you what the one common denominator was at every
> show I was at: BLISTERIN HEAT!

Are you guys talking about the photo on page 2 of this thread?
That's Brown Sugar they're playing. See my post on it on page 2.
The brown Zemaitis was only used on Brown Sugar on the '78 tour.
I remember him dragging it out at Anaheim for thaT song (I was waiting for it).
Plus, on booots of that tour, you can hear the tone.
From page one of this thread, the custom-made Tele from '78
was used on Love in Vain and sometimes Respectable and Shattered.

Date: January 1, 2006 21:41

Tomk I was at several 78 shows but was too young to rememebr guitar specifics. I have many 78 boots. When you say the sound is evident on BS is that at all shows or just the two that you mntion?

Date: January 1, 2006 21:41

yeah TomK, that's the other reason i knew it isn't Whip - because you already said it was Brown Sugar.
i think Chelsea was just curious why i knew it wasn't Whip even before you said that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-27 20:33 by with sssoul.

Date: January 1, 2006 21:53

Greetings Chelsea!
I make this assumption from the gig I was at, photos, and comparing
the boots I have. However, it is quite possible he used the Tele
for BS on some shows. I have several boots from 1978 (not all, I wish I did!)
It seems that he used his blonde Tele (5-string) for ADTL, HTW, TD, and Happy.
Judging from the chord positions, sweat, (BS was next to last), seems that this is BS. THe question is now what did he use on JJF? I can't remember what he used
when I saw them. I'll have to look at the New Orleans video.

Date: January 1, 2006 22:28

You have a good point Tomk. Even with all the guitar switches Keith like to stay with the same guitar for the last big push. But I just can not see him playing that guitar on JJF. And another thing: at two of the East Coast shows I saw them at (I saw 4 in 78) they also added Street Fighting Man. Up in NYC.

Date: January 7, 2006 22:33

>> i don't have a photo this time, sorry - maybe someone else will.
what is that gold-speckled black guitar Keith's using on Monkey Man on Four Flicks (disks 1 & 2)?
he also used it on Slipping Away in 95. any insights will be made very welcome. <<

it's the same one Keith's using on Anybody Seen My Baby in 97, in case that helps. :E
i'd love to know what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-27 20:34 by with sssoul.

Date: January 9, 2006 19:17

curiouser and curiouser! the good TomK wrote about Keith's Zemaitis:

>> The brown Zemaitis was only used on Brown Sugar for the '78 tour.
I remeber him bringing it out at Anaheim for that number only.
All other 5-string stuff was Telecasters. The video from New orleans
shows the same. <<

meanwhile, the good Mathijs has just added this fascinating note to a thread about the Zemaitis over on shidoobee (here's the link: [p081.ezboard.com]):
"contrary to popular belief, this guitar was NOT destroyed in the September 1978 fire, but was stolen in New York, June 19, 1978,
together with Ron Wood's three pickup mother-of-pearl inlaid Zemaitis. Apparently, a guy just took off with these two guitars ..."

now ... june 19th was the ninth day of the 78 tour; Anaheim was july 23rd/24th, so ... [scratchin head] ... it's a mystery!
which kinda suits that guitar, huh. :E

Date: January 16, 2006 11:58

>> this guitar was NOT destroyed in the September 1978 fire, but was stolen in New York, June 19, 1978 <<

hm! so how do we explain the photo that the good Chippy's just posted
(on another thread - [iorr.org] - but maybe he'll repost it here too, please and thank you!)
of Keith playing his Zemaitis at the Buffalo 78 show? that was july 4th, 1978, right?
it's weird that there are so many theories about what became of that guitar. have some popcorn.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-27 20:34 by with sssoul.

Date: January 31, 2006 22:23

>> i don't have a photo this time, sorry - maybe someone else will.
he also used it on Slipping Away in 95. any insights will be made very welcome. <<

>> it's the same one Keith's using on Anybody Seen My Baby in 97, in case that helps. :E i'd love to know what it is. <<

not only that: it's the one he's using on Torn & Frayed at the Paradiso in 2002, and i'd *still* love to know what it is. have some popcorn. :E

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: January 31, 2006 23:03

I don't recognize it, maybe some one else?
click to enlarge

Keith doing the MonkeyMan at MSG, on Four Flicks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-31 23:11 by open-g.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: January 31, 2006 23:08

That's from Monkey Man at MSG '03, right? No clue what kind of axe it is, though. I think that's been his exclusive "MM" guitar since '94.

Date: January 31, 2006 23:43

thank you thank you thank you Open-G! very gallant of you, and that's beautiful shot you caught there. have some extra popcorn. :E

JuanTCB, you have some popcorn too. :E in the footage i've got from 94 Keith's using a Les Paul Junior for Monkey Man.
the earliest this speckled guitar shows up in footage i have is on Slipping Away in 95.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-27 20:34 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 1, 2006 01:45

Sorry, I didn't have time to read all messages, so I might intrude on other persons terratory.

The guitar used on Slipping Away is a Tom Anderson Hollow Cobra. Read all about it at [www.andersonguitars.com]. Jager used Anderson Strat in '89 and '90.

The picture with the Travis Bean is quite unique, I have been searching for one for quite a while. It's from 1975, and it's a TB1000A, the "A" standing for "artist". The artist had a curved top and mother of pearl inlays at the neck. I have two confimed tracks: Keith used it for Rocks Off in Baton Rouge, and for You Gotta Move at the first couple of 1975 shows. He later received a 5 string Standard model (straight top, dot inlay) and used it for Before They Make Me Run with the Barbarians. He used a TB500 at Saturday Night Live and the She's So Cold video, and I haven't seen anything else. Ron Wood used a TB1000A and a white TB500 with the barbarians for slide.

Keith used the Zemaitis Macabre for All Down The Line, Brown Sugar and Jumping Jack Flash at the first half of the 1978 tour. The guitar then suddenly dissapears halfway the tour. In September 1978 Keith's house in LA caught fire, and it was said he lost some guitars. Chuch Magee has stated that Keith lost the Zemaitis Macabre in New York, and that "some guys just walked off with it". That can be New York during the tour, or New York when the Stones were camping out there for the Saturday Night Live show. Nobody knows for sure. Wood's Pearl Front Zemaitis was stolen while on tour with the Barbarians, or shortly after.

Mathijs

Posted by: Messhead ()
Date: February 1, 2006 03:47

Jagger's blue Tom Anderson Strat was one of the prototypes that Tom built as a possible signature model for Elliot Easton of the Cars. It's actually a strat shape with a tele bridge and bridge pickup, then a strat neck pickup. It eventually did become the Elliot Easton signature model, but Kramer produced it, it was called an EE, then some numbers depending on what model you bought. Coincidentally, Fender's budget brand Squire is now making a VERY similar guitar called the 51, and stating that the body shape was originally envisioned by Leo in that year. Didn't think Leo was doing anything but Esquires that year, but what do I know?

Date: February 1, 2006 11:44

thank you for the Hollow Cobra, Mathijs! and for the link to that Anderson site,
and for the additional details about the other instruments as well.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 1, 2006 12:28

Soullyy spotted this one today...not sure if it's been up before.

Bob Gruen

ROCKMAN

Date: February 1, 2006 12:32

thanks Rockman ... that's the one i posted on the previous page :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-23 16:50 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 1, 2006 12:40

Whoops my mistake ...give me a few mins...I've another but will check first.

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1957
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home