Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...241242243244245246247248249250251...LastNext
Current Page: 246 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 13, 2021 19:18

NashvilleBlues
MisterDDDD
NashvilleBlues
stickyfingers101
[abcnews.go.com]

[www.npr.org]

Realizing the Ohio story has been posted before:

My 2 Cents:

Paying people to get the vaccine (or offering prizes) sets a horrible precedent, IMO.

This type of "added incentives" likely means that next Pandemic (or when we need boosters for this one in a few months), we'll have a whole contingent of people saying/thinking: "well, last time they gave out lottery tickets and/or money to the 'hesitant'"....I'm gonna wait to see if they start paying people to take the vax"

or we're gonna have a whole host of people who say: "Well, if they are giving ONE lottery ticket today....they'll probably give 2 lottery tickets if enough of us hold out longer"

Point: we should NOT be incentivizing "hesitancy" which is what this does, IMO.

it's basic haggling...anybody who's ever travelled in the 3rd World or been to a Flea Market (or bought a car) knows this.....after the 1st offer, you walk away from the table and say "I'll think about it"....the "seller" almost always provides you w/ increased incentives to return.

My assessment: Bad Plan.

oh well...I'm still debating if this is worse than Free Donuts.

Well said.

This pandemic has surely laid the template for how governments, individuals, etc. will react in future pandemics. Could be troubling.

Meh... keeping in mind that (as it relates to the US) this is the first pandemic of this magnitude in 100 years,
I'm not too concerned about precedence for the future when it comes to incentivizing the jab.

Six states now have reached 70% vax rates, six more close to it.
Death rates are the lowest since the beginning of the pandemic.
Herd immunity is still very much in play, despite the variants etc.

Given that- while free donuts, free beer (as is the case in my city), discounted sport tickets, etc. etc,, may not individually be enough to push us over the hump, collectively they could add up to be enough to get enough shots in arms. Government lotteries like Ohio's are also fine by me, If there was a federal incentive tied to vaccines, I'd also be in favor.

No one knows when the next pandemic will hit. It's not an every 100 years thing. Another could hit this year, or it could be 200 years from now. Don't get hung up on the 100 years thing.

I fear that if/when there's a more contagious, deadly pandemic, the COVID pandemic will have instilled problematic thought patterns, when it comes to pandemics.

Citing the factual statistic is a far cry from "hung up" on.
Just a factor, as it should be.

Date: May 13, 2021 19:23

MisterDDDD
NashvilleBlues
stickyfingers101
[abcnews.go.com]

[www.npr.org]

My 2 Cents:

Paying people to get the vaccine (or offering prizes) sets a horrible precedent, IMO.

This type of "added incentives" likely means that next Pandemic (or when we need boosters for this one in a few months), we'll have a whole contingent of people saying/thinking: "well, last time they gave out lottery tickets and/or money to the 'hesitant'"....I'm gonna wait to see if they start paying people to take the vax"

or we're gonna have a whole host of people who say: "Well, if they are giving ONE lottery ticket today....they'll probably give 2 lottery tickets if enough of us hold out longer"

it's basic haggling...anybody who's ever travelled in the 3rd World or been to a Flea Market (or bought a car) knows this.....after the 1st offer, you walk away from the table and say "I'll think about it"....the "seller" almost always provides you w/ increased incentives to return.

Well said.

This pandemic has surely laid the template for how governments, individuals, etc. will react in future pandemics. Could be troubling.

Meh... keeping in mind that (as it relates to the US) this is the first pandemic of this magnitude in 100 years,
I'm not too concerned about precedence for the future when it comes to incentivizing the jab.

Given that- while free donuts, free beer (as is the case in my city), discounted sport tickets, etc. etc,, may not individually be enough to push us over the hump, collectively they could add up to be enough to get enough shots in arms. Government lotteries like Ohio's are also fine by me, If there was a federal incentive tied to vaccines, I'd also be in favor.

For those grasping at any/all negatives they can before reading or researching, incentives so far have been for all those vaccinated, not just newly.

Takes the "what about those that already got their shot" whine off the table.
Wouldn't matter to me either way tbh, but again for those unable to research.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: May 13, 2021 19:43

MisterDDDD
NashvilleBlues
MisterDDDD
NashvilleBlues
stickyfingers101
[abcnews.go.com]

[www.npr.org]

My 2 Cents:

Well said.

No one knows when the next pandemic will hit. It's not an every 100 years thing. Another could hit this year, or it could be 200 years from now. Don't get hung up on the 100 years thing.

I fear that if/when there's a more contagious, deadly pandemic, the COVID pandemic will have instilled problematic thought patterns, when it comes to pandemics.

Citing the factual statistic is a far cry from "hung up" on.
Just a factor, as it should be.

Why mention that the last US pandemic was 100 years ago? How is that relevant? It's not.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: May 13, 2021 20:07

MisterDDDD
MisterDDDD
NashvilleBlues
stickyfingers101
[abcnews.go.com]

[www.npr.org]

My 2 Cents:

Well said.

For those grasping at any/all negatives they can before reading or researching, incentives so far have been for all those vaccinated, not just newly.

Takes the "what about those that already got their shot" whine off the table.
Wouldn't matter to me either way tbh, but again for those unable to research.

Not sure if this is aimed at me. If so, I think we have a misunderstanding. No worries, if that's the case.

I'm definitely not a "what about me?" whiner.

My point was this creates the potential for more "what about me/what about my prize?" whiners NEXT TIME around....ie. Next Pandemic or Next Booster (the latter of which I would bet my left-ball is gonna be this fall/winter).

IMO, we shouldn't be incentivizing hesitancy nor should we be normalizing the expectation of "prizes" in this context...

once you give...it's hard to take it back...and I think we are more like Pavlov's Dogs than we like to admit....

there's a reason you don't buy your kid a candy bar in the checkout line at the supermarket just for "behaving" (or for any reason for that matter, IMO)....

expectations/incentives of this sort can lead to a lot of negative externalities, IMO.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: May 13, 2021 20:20

Hesitancy/Incentives/etc.

personally, I think we need a MICRO-approach to the "hesitancy" issue.

that is, we need to find LOCAL Community Leaders IN the communities where "hesitancy" is higher.....Community Leaders who are NOT hesitant themselves

it is those people who know the communities, know the people and the people know them....

hence, these are the people who can break down hesitancy-barriers b/c reducing hesitancy is about building trust, IMO.

that doesn't come from Washington DC, doesn't come from strangers, doesn't come from insults and disdain, doesn't come from TV.....and financial incentives only last as long as they keep coming in.

Trust comes from local people building that trust w/in the communities they live and work....with people they know and care about.

Case in point:

[www.npr.org]

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 13, 2021 20:26

MisterDDDD
NashvilleBlues
stickyfingers101
[abcnews.go.com]

[www.npr.org]

My 2 Cents:

Well said.

Note the anti crowd is against this. Those supporting masks, vaccines, vaccine passports don't have an issue with it. SSDD.

If things are to get back to normal the virus needs to be beaten to the point where all people are not concerned about catching it. If this gets another tranche of people to get the vaccine it is progress. Just one tool in the toolbox. Just an extension of free vaccines which the same crowd of antis decry as socialized medicine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-13 20:31 by daspyknows.

Date: May 13, 2021 20:33

daspyknows
MisterDDDD
NashvilleBlues
stickyfingers101
[abcnews.go.com]

[www.npr.org]

My 2 Cents:

Well said.

Note the anti crowd is against this. Those supporting masks, vaccines, vaccine passports don't have an issue with it. SSDD.

Wrong. I've been fully vaccinated since March. It's not black and white. Checking one box does not automatically check others. I'm not part of groupthink. Groupthinkers are sheep.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-13 20:35 by NashvilleBlues.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 13, 2021 20:43

Rocktiludrop
bv
So far in Norway as many as 90% do say YES to the covid-19 vaccine, when offered it. This will make the pandemic go away by 2-3 months time in Norway, during the summer months.

[www.aftenposten.no]

Have you noticed the pandemic went away last year in the summer without vaccinations.
Covid seems to replicate the flu season in Europe, it's a winter nightmare.

The pandemic did not go away last summer, even if some people think so.

On May 13, 2020 i.e. one year ago today, there were 88,000 dead from covid-19 in USA. During the summer months in USA 112,000 more people died from Covid-19, and there was a total of 200,000 dead from covid-19 in USA early September. pandemic gone during summer? I don't think so.

This year by July/August most people in Norway will have had their first shots of covid-19 vaccine. The virus will have few places to go. Experts say the virus will simply die, but if borders are open, there will be import virus from time to time, because there are some countries where many people do not believe in science, so the vaccination rate will not stop the virus, unfortunately. Also, many countries do not have access to vaccine, like the rich countries have had so far, unfortunately.

I hear UK will get rid of the virus too within the summer. It is all about the vaccination percentage. If it is above 80% to 90% among adults, the virus go away. If it is below 50%, then the virus will move on among non-vaccinated people, like it has been doing for 16 months now.

It is all about science. No magic. Too bad some people do not believe in science.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-13 21:01 by bv.

Date: May 13, 2021 21:03

stickyfingers101

Not sure if this is aimed at me. If so, I think we have a misunderstanding. No worries, if that's the case.

I'm definitely not a "what about me?" whiner.

My point was this creates the potential for more "what about me/what about my prize?" whiners NEXT TIME around....ie. Next Pandemic or Next Booster (the latter of which I would bet my left-ball is gonna be this fall/winter).

IMO, we shouldn't be incentivizing hesitancy nor should we be normalizing the expectation of "prizes" in this context...

once you give...it's hard to take it back...and I think we are more like Pavlov's Dogs than we like to admit....

there's a reason you don't buy your kid a candy bar in the checkout line at the supermarket just for "behaving" (or for any reason for that matter, IMO)....

expectations/incentives of this sort can lead to a lot of negative externalities, IMO.

Wasn't.

I believe the only government to financially incentivize getting the shot so far is Ohio, State or Federal.
Private companies giving out donuts or reduced tix or beer et al, are and should be free to do so. More like celebrating and marketing than incentivizing really.

The Governor of Ohio saw fit to use the federal covid money allocated to his state to incentivize. He knows the constituents etc., so leaving it up to the states on how they use the federal funds is fine by me.

As for the Federal government themselves incentivizing the shots, that hasn't happened and is unlikely imo. Agree that would then be reason for discussion and debate, but already know I would still be for it if it would make the difference between achieving herd immunity or not.

Date: May 13, 2021 21:45

Big step towards returning to "normalcy".

C.D.C. Says Vaccinated People Can Go Maskless in Most Places
In a sharp turnabout from previous recommendations, federal health officials on Thursday advised that Americans who are fully vaccinated against the coronavirus may stop wearing masks or maintaining social distance in most indoor and outdoor settings, regardless of size.

The advice from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention comes as welcome news to Americans who have tired of restrictions and marks a watershed moment in the pandemic. Masks ignited controversy in communities across the United States, symbolizing a bitter partisan divide over approaches to the pandemic and a badge of political affiliation.

“The science is clear: If you are fully vaccinated, you are protected, and you can start doing the things that you stopped doing because of the pandemic,” the C.D.C. said in a statement on Thursday.
[www.nytimes.com]

Date: May 13, 2021 22:01

MisterDDDD

In a sharp turnabout from previous recommendations, federal health officials on Thursday advised that Americans who are fully vaccinated against the coronavirus may stop wearing masks or maintaining social distance in most indoor and outdoor settings, regardless of size.

The advice from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention comes as welcome news to Americans who have tired of restrictions and marks a watershed moment in the pandemic. Masks ignited controversy in communities across the United States, symbolizing a bitter partisan divide over approaches to the pandemic and a badge of political affiliation.

“The science is clear: If you are fully vaccinated, you are protected, and you can start doing the things that you stopped doing because of the pandemic,” the C.D.C. said in a statement on Thursday.
[www.nytimes.com]

Good stuff.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 13, 2021 22:53

Doctors fear COVID-19 vaccines are messing with mammograms

Radiologists have long known that a recent dose of vaccine for shingles, tetanus or flu can cause lymph nodes to appear slightly swollen. But the sudden appearance of so many swollen lymph nodes, in so many women, came as a shock. In many cases, so was the size of the swelling.

“They seemed to be more prominent,” said Dr. Constance Lehman, chief of breast imaging at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. “We had seen mildly enlarged nodes with prior vaccinations but not to this degree.”

“There’s a lot that’s unknown,” Mullen said.

[www.latimes.com]

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: May 13, 2021 23:00

MisterDDDD

[www.nytimes.com]

Here in the U.K. masks have never been required outdoors but many places around Europe do require masks outdoors including Spain who up until a couple of weeks back had a ridiculous rule requiring people to wear masks on the beach and whilst swimming in the sea.

Nate

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 13, 2021 23:03

stickyfingers101
Hesitancy/Incentives/etc.

personally, I think we need a MICRO-approach to the "hesitancy" issue.

that is, we need to find LOCAL Community Leaders IN the communities where "hesitancy" is higher.....Community Leaders who are NOT hesitant themselves

it is those people who know the communities, know the people and the people know them....

hence, these are the people who can break down hesitancy-barriers b/c reducing hesitancy is about building trust, IMO.

that doesn't come from Washington DC, doesn't come from strangers, doesn't come from insults and disdain, doesn't come from TV.....and financial incentives only last as long as they keep coming in.

Trust comes from local people building that trust w/in the communities they live and work....with people they know and care about.

Case in point:

[www.npr.org]

True enough, and that goes for everything - not just vaccination hesitancy.
It's no doubt difficult for some to accept advice from someone that's an outsider who doesn't know the local traditions and lay of the land.
It's also difficult accepting advice from someone that can't be trusted, or from someone that's insulting, ridiculing, and/or mocking.
As Fauci said, talking down to people in a condescending way is definitely not the best way to get the point across and/or gain someones trust.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-13 23:04 by Hairball.

Date: May 13, 2021 23:54

bleedingman
Doctors fear COVID-19 vaccines are messing with mammograms

Radiologists have long known that a recent dose of vaccine for shingles, tetanus or flu can cause lymph nodes to appear slightly swollen. But the sudden appearance of so many swollen lymph nodes, in so many women, came as a shock. In many cases, so was the size of the swelling.

“They seemed to be more prominent,” said Dr. Constance Lehman, chief of breast imaging at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. “We had seen mildly enlarged nodes with prior vaccinations but not to this degree.”

“There’s a lot that’s unknown,” Mullen said.

[www.latimes.com]

"Radiologists have long known that a recent dose of vaccine for shingles, tetanus or flu can cause lymph nodes to appear slightly swollen"

So, we should tell people not to get these vaccines too or it is what it is considering the large number of recent vaccines? Not sure why this is material since it applies to multiple types of vaccines.

This is not giving false positive breast cancer diagnosis. This is not causing more issues than a Covid diagnosis. To me it is just more anti-vaxxer nonsense.

Date: May 13, 2021 23:59

For what it's worth, considering the L.A. Times leans to the left, I doubt they would ever promote or publish something that would be considered "anti-vaxxer nonsense".

Date: May 14, 2021 00:20

"Here's why it makes sense to keep your mask on even if the CDC says you don't need to"

We sat outside together to write this article, two fully vaccinated physicians. We showed up wearing masks and looked at each other as we sat down: “Do we take them off now?”

An additional crack in the vaccine armor is that we don’t know how long our post-vaccine antibodies will be adequate to stave off sickness. Similarly, we don’t know if current or future variants will penetrate our vaccine protection.

We don’t have a lot of safety data for the Covid-19 vaccines in immunocompromised people, and we don’t know if their weakened immune systems can or will mount a response.

[www.yahoo.com]

Date: May 14, 2021 00:34

Hairball
For what it's worth, considering the L.A. Times leans to the left, I doubt they would ever promote or publish something that would be considered "anti-vaxxer nonsense".

It's not an editorial or an opinion article. It's merely stating facts that are being reported by medical professionals and, at the very least, should be of interest to women and their loved ones.

Cheers, Hairball, you're a class act. (I don't care what anybody says!)

Date: May 14, 2021 01:48

lol - likewise bleedingman. winking smiley

Meanwhile, along with the free beer and donuts, add greasy fries to the list of bribes!

> Obesity

And as a bonus incentive: "Folks who get the shots at Big Apple-run mobile clinics will also score a voucher for a free burger or sandwich, said Shake Shack CEO Randy Garuitti".

Date: May 14, 2021 02:45

Hairball

Not saying they are anti-vaxxers. This is just reporting a story. The anti-vaxxers will take a story like this and use it for their anti-vaxxer narrative without context. All you need to do is watch Faux News for examples.

bleedingman
There is no data as to long term effects. When I weigh the odds of me getting Covid and recovering, as opposed to being a lab rat, I'll take my chances.

If you look at the postings from the person has posted this story it is consistently anti-vaccine. He doesn't want to be a lab rat. When he gets hooked up to an ECMO machine he will wish he had been a lab rat.

Date: May 14, 2021 02:55

You're initial reaction of "To me it is just more anti-vaxxer nonsense" was seemingly directed at the article and the newspaper itself - thanks for clarifying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-14 02:56 by Hairball.

Date: May 14, 2021 03:01

In other news...

Bill Maher tests positive for Covid-19

Coronavirus

Bill Maher, the host of HBO's "Real Time with Bill Maher," has tested positive for coronavirus, the show announced in a tweet Thursday evening.
"Bill tested positive during weekly staff PCR testing for COVID," the show announced. "He is fully vaccinated and as a result is asymptomatic and feels fine."
Due to Maher's positive test result, the show's taping scheduled for Friday has been canceled and will be rescheduled at a later date, the show said.
"Real Time production has taken every precaution following COVID CDC guidelines," the show said. "No other staff or crew members have tested positive at this time.

Date: May 14, 2021 03:05

Hairball
You're initial reaction of "To me it is just more anti-vaxxer nonsense" was seemingly directed at the article and the newspaper itself - thanks for clarifying.

That was not my intent. The anti-vaxxer nonsense was directed at the poster who doesn't want to be a lab rat so he spreads fear tactics. This article is behind a pay wall and he provides a few sentences without context. If he doesn't want to take the shot its his choice and he may suffer the consequences of his actions but spreading fear and misinformation so others don't get vaccinated is wrong.

Date: May 14, 2021 03:17

Hairball
In other news...

Coronavirus

Bill Maher, the host of HBO's "Real Time with Bill Maher," has tested positive for coronavirus, the show announced in a tweet Thursday evening.
"Bill tested positive during weekly staff PCR testing for COVID," the show announced. "He is fully vaccinated and as a result is asymptomatic and feels fine."
Due to Maher's positive test result, the show's taping scheduled for Friday has been canceled and will be rescheduled at a later date, the show said.
"Real Time production has taken every precaution following COVID CDC guidelines," the show said. "No other staff or crew members have tested positive at this time.

This happened to Damien Lee of the Golden State Warriors. He had taken the J & J vaccine. No one else on the team was infected. The vaccines aren't 100% but without the vaccines more than just the one person would have likely been infected. This is the 95% effectiveness.

Date: May 14, 2021 03:51

daspyknows
Hairball

That was not my intent. The anti-vaxxer nonsense was directed at the poster who doesn't want to be a lab rat so he spreads fear tactics. This article is behind a pay wall and he provides a few sentences without context. If he doesn't want to take the shot its his choice and he may suffer the consequences of his actions but spreading fear and misinformation so others don't get vaccinated is wrong.

That was all made quite clear in your first clarification, but thanks for clarifying again.

Date: May 14, 2021 04:29

daspyknows
Hairball

Not saying they are anti-vaxxers. This is just reporting a story. The anti-vaxxers will take a story like this and use it for their anti-vaxxer narrative without context. All you need to do is watch Faux News for examples.

bleedingman
There is no data as to long term effects. When I weigh the odds of me getting Covid and recovering, as opposed to being a lab rat, I'll take my chances.

If you look at the postings from the person has posted this story it is consistently anti-vaccine. He doesn't want to be a lab rat. When he gets hooked up to an ECMO machine he will wish he had been a lab rat.

You do you, I'll do me. I doubt I'll be hooked up to any machines but if I am, I'll post here so you can gloat. Hilarious.

Date: May 14, 2021 05:03

daspyknows
Hairball
In other news...

Coronavirus

This happened to Damien Lee of the Golden State Warriors. He had taken the J & J vaccine. No one else on the team was infected. The vaccines aren't 100% but without the vaccines more than just the one person would have likely been infected. This is the 95% effectiveness.

Damien Lee was the unlucky Warrior I guess, but this breaking news out of New York says the NY Yankees have eight infected members who were already vaccinated with the J & J vaccine at least two weeks ago.
On the bright side, the symptoms won't be anywhere near as bad had they not been vaccinated, and chances are there will be no symptoms at all...except for third base coach Phil Nevin who is already having symptoms.

New York Yankees say 8 vaccinated members tested positive for Covid-19.

Eight members of the New York Yankees have tested positive for coronavirus this week despite being inoculated with the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, the baseball team said Thursday.
The eight infected Yankees include coaches, staff members and a player. Seven do not have symptoms, said Jason Zillo, the team's vice president of communications.
The Yankees said the eight infected members received the Johnson & Johnson vaccine at least two weeks ago.

Coronavirus

Date: May 14, 2021 05:36

bleedingman
daspyknows
Hairball

bleedingman

You do you, I'll do me. I doubt I'll be hooked up to any machines but if I am, I'll post here so you can gloat. Hilarious.

You won't he posting here hooked up to machines. No need to gloat but you will get your award.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 14, 2021 08:48

Given that unvaccinated people will be going without masks here in the US as well as those who are vaccinated (who knows who's who?), I hope this doesn't backfire . . . Seems a tad premature to me. I'll need to continue wearing mine, anyway.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 14, 2021 10:38

I will continue to wear a face-covering all the whilst I'm legally required to do so.

For those in the U.S. Why is Biden wearing a covering, whilst in the company of fellow fully-vaccinated people? I understand this is causing debate stateside. I'm guessing there's a reason.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...241242243244245246247248249250251...LastNext
Current Page: 246 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2343
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home