Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...242243244245246247248249250251252...LastNext
Current Page: 247 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: May 14, 2021 10:54

For those in the U.S. Why is Biden wearing a covering, whilst in the company of fellow fully-vaccinated people? I understand this is causing debate stateside. I'm guessing there's a reason.

Bad breath?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-14 10:55 by skytrench.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 14, 2021 11:05

skytrench
For those in the U.S. Why is Biden wearing a covering, whilst in the company of fellow fully-vaccinated people? I understand this is causing debate stateside. I'm guessing there's a reason.

Bad breath?

Well, he's elderly, so...

Date: May 14, 2021 11:28

Big Al
I will continue to wear a face-covering all the whilst I'm legally required to do so.

Fully vaccinated people can still pass it on, seemingly. They just don't get sick of it.

Date: May 14, 2021 11:57

DandelionPowderman
Big Al
I will continue to wear a face-covering all the whilst I'm legally required to do so.

Fully vaccinated people can still pass it on, seemingly. They just don't get sick of it.

That's what I have heard and read, too. It just seems a little overly cautious. I suspect he's trying to send the message that the wearing of a covering is still relevant to the American people; vaccinated, or not.

He is a doddery old thing, though. Very frail.

Date: May 14, 2021 12:16

Big Al
DandelionPowderman
Big Al

That's what I have heard and read, too. It just seems a little overly cautious. I suspect he's trying to send the message that the wearing of a covering is still relevant to the American people; vaccinated, or not.

Might be. Then again, he's pushing 80...

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: May 14, 2021 12:19

Big Al

Since taking office he looks rejuvenated and more stylish than before. Guess they are taking good care of the president.

Yes, the vaccine wont stop you getting or spreading the disease, only give your body a much better chance of defeating it and thereby smaller chance of passing it on to others.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 14, 2021 13:56

I am still going to wear a mask any time I leave my home and I still will be vigilant and guarded against this hideous virus , even though I am fully vaccinated with the Pfizer . I just can't drop my guard as that would void all of the protections that I have . Yes I am paranoid about COVID-19 and I am really scratching my head from yesterday's CDC directive .

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 14, 2021 14:04

TheGreek
I am still going to wear a mask any time I leave my home and I still will be vigilant and guarded against this hideous virus , even though I am fully vaccinated with the Pfizer . I just can't drop my guard as that would void all of the protections that I have . Yes I am paranoid about COVID-19 and I am really scratching my head from yesterday's CDC directive .

Paranoia is hazardous to health.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: May 14, 2021 14:49

windmelody
TheGreek

Paranoia is hazardous to health.

It's a vaccine, not a panacea. You can still catch the virus and pass it on once fully vaccinated, but are unlikely to experience harmful symptoms. You can still infect others, though, and it is through such transmissions that variants develop. In my job, we now have a fully vaccinated workforce, but continue to socially distance, use PPE, etc. In my home life, I use the government guidelines as a minimum safety requirement. Yes, I'm totally fed up with it, but it's not just about me.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 14, 2021 14:55

TheGreek

I am going to wear my mask for a while as well.
Also out of fear.

Very afraid of people thinking I may be a maga without wearing a mask winking smiley

Jokes aside, this was a surprising and somewhat risky call by the CDC.
I think this will further motivate people to get the jab. Takes a lot of steam off of the political/ideological divide as we move forward.

Without the political charge, and with so many of us basically moving on from the debate, the hope is the vax hesitancy runs out of steam. As more and more jobs, entertainment, travel, etc., require vax proof, more and more will get the vaccine.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 14, 2021 16:44

Big Al

Learning by example! If the president can wear a mask, then others may do so too, right?

First of all, you are always safer these days if you wear a mask. No big issue, it is simply another layer of security.

Secondly, it is a clear message that masking up is still a good thing to do.

Thirdly, no vaccine is 100% safe, they are more like 90% or 95% safe. Also, there are new variants, still we do not know how well the current vaccines do protect against the India variant and so on.

Finally, what's the problem? People in Japan have been wearing masks for ages, when they have had a cold, simply as polite way of protecting others, no big deal. The corona virus will be around for a long while still. There will be people with masks many years to come, it will be more normal.

Bjornulf

Date: May 14, 2021 16:46

skytrench
Big Al

Since taking office he looks rejuvenated and more stylish than before. Guess they are taking good care of the president.

I do like his voice, admittedly. In his younger years, he was probably quite the eloquent orator.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 14, 2021 17:00

MisterDDDD
TheGreek

I am going to wear my mask for a while as well.
Also out of fear.

Very afraid of people thinking I may be a maga without wearing a mask winking smiley

Jokes aside, this was a surprising and somewhat risky call by the CDC.
I think this will further motivate people to get the jab. Takes a lot of steam off of the political/ideological divide as we move forward.

Without the political charge, and with so many of us basically moving on from the debate, the hope is the vax hesitancy runs out of steam. As more and more jobs, entertainment, travel, etc., require vax proof, more and more will get the vaccine.

Yes seems a bit early but I think it was a calculated risk to get more people to get vaccinated, as there is a 'payoff' (that isn't a lottery ticket or free beer).

In doing their numbers, they probably figured that the increase in vaccinations would offset those that don't get vaccinated and 'take advantage' by not wearing masks.

They must have thought through all of that and determined the greater good was achieved by dropping the mask mandate. Hopefully that pans out!

Date: May 14, 2021 17:17

May 17 in England supposedly sees the reopening of public houses and eateries for inside dining and drinking. Boris is holding a press conference this evening amidst calls to push-back the date due to the spread of this Indian variant. I have a table booked for Saturday May 28. Fingers-crossed for me and my fellow England-based posters'!

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: May 14, 2021 18:40

the "problem" with Biden still wearing a mask is that it sends a message contradictory to what the CDC is saying...which is simply counter-productive irrespective of who/what is "correct"....

those who want to see Biden masking as "proof" that the CDC is lying, will see just that....

those who want to see it as "proof" that "science" can't be fully trusted, will see just that...

those who want to see it as "proof" that masking is still necessary b/c the vaccine isn't perfect, will see just that...

....those who want to see continued masking as "just good common sense"....will see it as that.

Dumpy did the same thing contradicting the CDC, but just in the opposite direction (which was far more harmful but was the same basic problem - contradictory messages).

Gov't and the CDC should be on the same page. Mixed messages are more harmful than helpful, IMO.

every couple knows that a UNITED front is THE most important factor w/ kids...doesn't matter WHAT you choose, all that matters is that you are united so your kids can't pit one against the other (the oldest trick in the book is to "ask mom" and then if they don't get the answer they want, they go "ask dad"...or vice versa).

I will be continuing to mask indoors moving forward. I think the CDC announcement was a mistake.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-14 18:41 by stickyfingers101.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 14, 2021 19:28

I think Joe Biden is a genuinely good man and he is showing the American public that wearing a mask whether you are young or old is the right thing to do to keep yourself safe, as well as other people around you.

Most of the people I know agree that it does make sense to wear a mask when you are nearby to other people.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 14, 2021 19:28

I happened to be in Ohio this past weekend, almost 90% no masks - even in stores, restaurants! I went without, it was very liberating!

Where we were, there was many Amish, we saw none of them w/ masks, and from what I understand, they do not get vaccinated, but I didn't ask any of them!!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 14, 2021 19:35

I do not understand why people have such a fear for masks. Why bother if others have a mask? If you do not like hats or glasses, do you post about that on IORR? Probably not.

Distance, washing hands and masks are still the most efficient ways of keeping the number of deaths from covid-19 low. Right now there are more than 3 million people dead from the virus, still counting. Just let people wear their masks without making any fuzz about it.

Bjornulf

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 14, 2021 19:42

No fear of masks on my part! I've been wearing them when out, for the most part. I just don't like them. And if no one else is wearing them ...

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: May 14, 2021 20:49

DandelionPowderman
Big Al

Spot on thumbs up

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: May 14, 2021 20:51

If Shake-Shack can't get us over the hump, nothing will!!!

[www.nydailynews.com]

I'm no economist, but didn't he just equate the vaccine w/ Shake-Shack?

geebus...at least Ohio said it's worth a million bucks.

oh....fatty-foods as a reward for getting a vaccine against a virus who's intensity and mortality-rate is directly related to obesity??

we're so lost right now.

(the video is worth watching...it's horrible/awesome. Starts at 6:40, but I think it starts it for you there automatically)

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: May 14, 2021 20:51

bv
I do not understand why people have such a fear for masks. Why bother if others have a mask? If you do not like hats or glasses, do you post about that on IORR? Probably not.

Distance, washing hands and masks are still the most efficient ways of keeping the number of deaths from covid-19 low. Right now there are more than 3 million people dead from the virus, still counting. Just let people wear their masks without making any fuzz about it.

Spot on thumbs up

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: May 14, 2021 21:10

stickyfingers101

[www.nydailynews.com]

oh....fatty-foods as a reward for getting a vaccine against a virus who's intensity and mortality-rate is directly related to obesity??

we're so lost right now.

(the video is worth watching...it's horrible/awesome. Starts at 6:40, but I think it starts it for you there automatically)

Relax Frances.

News flash.. people are going to eat donuts, drink beer, have fries, regardless.
It's celebratory and good will marketing.

I haven't drank beer since the early eighties, could go on and on about the unhealthy aspects of alcohol, but the fact that a brewery in my city is giving it away to those that show their vax cards bothers me- Not. One. Bit.

Christonacrutch, people have been locked down for over a year, let em celebrate their jabs.

Date: May 14, 2021 21:19

MisterDDDD
stickyfingers101

[www.nydailynews.com]

we're so lost right now.

Relax Frances.

News flash.. people are going to eat donuts, drink beer, have fries, regardless.

I haven't drank beer since the early eighties, could go on and on about the unhealthy aspects of alcohol, but the fact that a brewery in my city is giving it away to those that show their vax cards bothers me- Not. One. Bit.

Christonacrutch, people have been locked down for over a year, let em celebrate their jabs.

C'mon MAN...it's LIGHTEN UP, Francis!!

[www.youtube.com]

grinning smiley

I was mostly being sarcastic and having some fun at the Mayor's expense b/c it seems a bit ridiculous that the Mayor of NYC is reduced to spectacles like this.

and, I agree...people can/will eat whatever. We're well past the point of being a healthy-society...or even trying to be one....or caring.

....and that is why things like Covid did, and will continue to, run roughshod on us....we take no personal responsibility for our health and expect "science" to bail us out...

[www.cnn.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-14 21:25 by stickyfingers101.

Date: May 14, 2021 21:52

Big Al

All the discussion here about Biden wearing a mask comes from this one post. He hasn't gone maskless in public since the announcement yesterday. If and when he does put one back on publicly, it won't be a "mixed message" etc.as some are trying to frame it, it will be someone leading by example and showing respect to others who may not be vaxxed etc, as we all should for some time to come imo.

On the bright side, this post, while bringing up the (*now) old rightwing anti-mask rhetoric, highlights the importance of the CDC mask announcement.
This takes the mask issue off the table politically for them. Wear a mask, don't wear a mask, it's now up to you. Vaccinated people don't care.

Date: May 14, 2021 21:53

stickyfingers101
MisterDDDD
stickyfingers101

[www.nydailynews.com]

we're so lost right now.

Relax Frances.

C'mon MAN...it's LIGHTEN UP, Francis!!

[www.youtube.com]

grinning smiley

I was mostly being sarcastic and having some fun at the Mayor's expense b/c it seems a bit ridiculous that the Mayor of NYC is reduced to spectacles like this.

and, I agree...people can/will eat whatever. We're well past the point of being a healthy-society...or even trying to be one....or caring.

....and that is why things like Covid did, and will continue to, run roughshod on us....we take no personal responsibility for our health and expect "science" to bail us out...

[www.cnn.com]

smileys with beer
Knew I had that phrase wrong.. too lazy to google winking smiley

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: May 14, 2021 22:18

If fully vaccinated I would not be concerned at all with being around people who were not.I would be much more concerned being around people who displayed ultimate stupidity in revealing they took a vaccine because it came with a free doughnut and lottery ticket.

Nate

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 14, 2021 22:55

stickyfingers101

[www.nydailynews.com]

we're so lost right now.

...de Blasio channeled his inner Homer Simpson...

“Is it too early in the day to eat a burger? No? This could be breakfast?”

May the Homer Simpsons of the world unite and get their vaccination after being bribed with burgers, beers, fries, donuts, and milkshakes...
At this rate, herd immunity might be just around the corner - maybe Kentucky Fried Chicken and McDonalds will jump on the bandwagon to speed the process up.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 14, 2021 23:16

Far from this rule providing an incentive for people to get vaccinated, I think it will have exactly the opposite effect Now people can just freely not wear the mask they weren't going to wear anyway, nobody's going to check whether they're vaccinated or not..

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 14, 2021 23:40

I agree Aquamarine.

Several excerpts from an interview yesterday with CNN Medical Analyst Dr. Leana Wen who I've come to trust and listen to more than many others:

CNN: What do you think of the CDC's Thursday decision on masking?

Dr. Leana Wen: Frankly, I was shocked. For months, I've been pushing for the CDC to give clearer, more practical guidance on what fully vaccinated people could do. They've been moving so slowly and cautiously, and I expected for them to say something like, fully vaccinated people can now get together with other fully vaccinated people, not just in informal settings like small dinners at home but formal settings like workplaces — I was thinking a conference room where fully vaccinated colleagues can all take off their masks. Instead, the CDC removed virtually all restrictions on fully vaccinated people. On the one hand, this is a great affirmation of just how effective the vaccines are. I do think there is a great story to tell, that the vaccines are so powerful at protecting against illness and preventing vaccinated people from spreading coronavirus. On the other hand, this is such a sudden reversal. I don't think people fully understand why the change was made — it feels like we went from zero to 100 overnight.

My concern is not for those who are fully vaccinated. Those people are well protected (with the exception of individuals who are immunocompromised). My concern is for those who are not yet able to be vaccinated, who are now potentially exposed to a higher level of risk because they will be around unvaccinated people who choose not to wear masks. That's because we can't possibly know who's vaccinated and who's not. If you're in a grocery store, and most people aren't wearing masks anymore, what if some people aren't vaccinated? If you yourself are vaccinated and pretty healthy, this is not a problem for you. But what if you're not vaccinated — not because you don't want to, but because you can't? I have two little children, ages 1 and 3, who can't yet be vaccinated. Or what if you're immunocompromised and the vaccines may not protect you as well, so you still have to be careful, even if you keep your mask on? I'm worried that the new CDC guidelines make it less safe for those who are already more vulnerable.

------------------------------

CNN: Some people are very nervous going into crowded places now, especially if people are unmasked. What would you advise them to do?

Dr. Wen: I really understand where they are coming from! It's been a traumatic time for all of us, and for many, it will take time to ease back into our old routines.
That's another reason I wish the CDC was less abrupt with their guidance. They should give us time to adjust to a new normal. Wait until infection rates decline more, then ease the guidance.
It's completely OK for people to take things at their own pace. If you're nervous about seeing random maskless strangers in crowds, start with seeing people you know and love, indoors, without masks — ideally people who are also fully vaccinated. Work your way up. Perhaps take your mask outdoors on walks, and, if you wish, indoors in settings where you can still keep physical distancing. Even though it's safe for you to do something doesn't mean that you need to. If you still wish to avoid crowds of possibly unvaccinated people, it's absolutely your right to do so.

------------------------------------

CNN: What if you still have unvaccinated children, including those under age 12, who can't get the vaccine yet?

Dr. Wen: This is a big reason I don't like the CDC guidance. It puts our children at higher risk to now be around adults who may or may not be vaccinated.
Every family needs to decide the level of risk you are willing to tolerate for your children. It's true that kids tend to get much less severely ill from Covid-19 than adults, but children can and do get ill. For our family, we are fine with our kids playing outdoors with other kids, without masks, but indoors, they should still wear masks if there are adults or children around them who are unvaccinated. And we, as vaccinated parents, still take extra precautions that we wouldn't if not for the kids.

-------------------------------------------

Entire interview: CDC Guidelines

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-15 00:08 by Hairball.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...242243244245246247248249250251252...LastNext
Current Page: 247 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2111
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home