Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...240241242243244245246247248249250...LastNext
Current Page: 245 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 13, 2021 01:29

THE AGE --- 13 May 2021 ..........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 13, 2021 01:32

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 13, 2021 01:59

Sure free donuts are great, but Ohio is upping the game considerably on vax incentives.

Get vaccinated in Ohio and get a shot at $1 million, Gov. Mike DeWine announces
DeWine said there would be five weekly lottery-style drawings for vaccinated Ohioans.

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine on Wednesday announced a novel incentive program for people in his state to get vaccinated — a $1 million lottery.

DeWine, a Republican, said only people who've gotten the vaccine will be eligible to win the prize, which will be paid for by federal coronavirus funds.
[www.nbcnews.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 13, 2021 02:16

bleedingman
U.S. CDC finds more clotting cases after J&J vaccine, sees causal link

A leading hypothesis appears to be that the vaccines are triggering a rare immune response that could be related to these viral vectors.

"Rare" until it happens to you.

[www.yahoo.com]

With stories like this making the rounds, it's understandable why some might have some hesitations regarding Johnson and Johnson, or any vaccine for that matter.

The latest from CNN:

States won't get Johnson & Johnson vaccines next week

Vaccine

White House officials told governors during their weekly call that there won't be any doses of Johnson & Johnson's vaccine in next week's federal allocations, according to an official familiar with the matter.
The move is another sign of the repeated problems that have plagued J&J's rollout in the US. Officials had once hoped it would be key to quick vaccinations, given it requires only one dose compared to the others that require two. But J&J has faced multiple issues, including limited shipments and a brief pause to evaluate a link to rare blood clots. Most problems have stemmed from a production plant in Baltimore that ruined 15 million potential J&J vaccines earlier this year due to poor quality control and contamination of vaccine ingredients. That facility, which is run by Emergent BioSolutions and is still awaiting FDA authorization, has come under increasing scrutiny after a report by the FDA detailed multiple flaws, including that there was "no assurance that other batches have not been subject to cross-contamination." Two of Emergent BioSolutions' executives have now agreed to testify on Capitol Hill next week. Rep. Jim Clyburn told CNN Wednesday morning there appeared to be "untoward" events taking place and said the House's select committee on the coronavirus was looking at the two executives, Fuad El-Hibri and Robert Kramer. "They all made millions in stock transactions while they seem to be hiding stuff from the public," Clyburn said. "So we want to make sure that no laws were broken. Certainly we don't know that yet."

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 13, 2021 02:26

Rockman

thx for the articles ROCK...good reading.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: May 13, 2021 03:44

bleedingman
98.6% recovery rate. I'll take those odds.

Respectfully, that may be the survival rate, but the number of people left with significant long term damage to organs, or other debilitating symptoms, has been estimated as high as 30%. And variants emerge amongst unvaccinated populations, making it a macabre game of Whack-A-Mole trying to get new variants under control.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 13, 2021 03:51

If this gets Ohio residents vaccinated woohoo. Only in America people need bribery to get a vaccine that will save there life.

Ohio to give five residents $1 million dollars each in vaccine lottery
[www.cbsnews.com]

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 13, 2021 03:57

SomeTorontoGirl
bleedingman

Respectfully, that may be the survival rate, but the number of people left with significant long term damage to organs, or other debilitating symptoms, has been estimated as high as 30%. And variants emerge amongst unvaccinated populations, making it a macabre game of Whack-A-Mole trying to get new variants under control.

There is no data as to long term effects. When I weigh the odds of me getting Covid and recovering, as opposed to being a lab rat, I'll take my chances.

Date: May 13, 2021 03:59

Delaying second COVID-19 vaccine doses can help reduce deaths - study

Who do you trust?

Pfizer has said there is no clinical evidence to support Britain's decision to extend the gap between doses of its vaccine to 12 weeks, but data from the rollout in England shows protection against death of around 80% from one dose, with a 70% decline in infections.

[www.yahoo.com]

Date: May 13, 2021 04:21

bleedingman

Who do you trust?

don't be offended...not you.

Date: May 13, 2021 04:23

Rockman
....NO treacle ...It is the udder truth ...

geez...now you're just milkin' it.

Date: May 13, 2021 04:24

daspyknows
If this gets Ohio residents vaccinated woohoo. Only in America people need bribery to get a vaccine that will save there life.

Ohio to give five residents $1 million dollars each in vaccine lottery
[www.cbsnews.com]

Or put another way, people will get vaccinated for a lottery ticket.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 13, 2021 04:53

bleedingman
SomeTorontoGirl
bleedingman

There is no data as to long term effects. When I weigh the odds of me getting Covid and recovering, as opposed to being a lab rat, I'll take my chances.

Haha. Go play Russian roulette. Its your life.

40X is quite a large difference.

Risk of dying from Covid-19 40 times the risk of rare blood clot after receiving J&J vaccine
[www.cnn.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-13 05:36 by daspyknows.

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: May 13, 2021 10:48

Tell that to a healthy young person who dies from the blood clot who lived in an area where he was never going to die of covid.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: May 13, 2021 11:14

The Covid-19 mutation B.1.617 from India has arrived in Europe and is spreading - still slowly. It might be more dangerous than B.1.1.7 (the "British" version).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-13 15:50 by MAF.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: May 13, 2021 11:32

I believe the mutation from India has already been detected in the U.S. (Las Vegas)?

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 13, 2021 14:33

terraplane
I believe the mutation from India has already been detected in the U.S. (Las Vegas)?

There are a lot of mutations in Vegas. winking smiley

Date: May 13, 2021 17:36

It's a bit like BLM, deaths only matter when they are covid deaths.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: May 13, 2021 17:41

Rocktiludrop
It's a bit like BLM, deaths only matter when they are covid deaths.

Huh?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-13 17:42 by NashvilleBlues.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: May 13, 2021 17:46

[abcnews.go.com]

[www.npr.org]

Realizing the Ohio story has been posted before:

My 2 Cents:

Paying people to get the vaccine (or offering prizes) sets a horrible precedent, IMO.

This type of "added incentives" likely means that next Pandemic (or when we need boosters for this one in a few months), we'll have a whole contingent of people saying/thinking: "well, last time they gave out lottery tickets and/or money to the 'hesitant'"....I'm gonna wait to see if they start paying people to take the vax"

or we're gonna have a whole host of people who say: "Well, if they are giving ONE lottery ticket today....they'll probably give 2 lottery tickets if enough of us hold out longer"

Point: we should NOT be incentivizing "hesitancy" which is what this does, IMO.

it's basic haggling...anybody who's ever travelled in the 3rd World or been to a Flea Market (or bought a car) knows this.....after the 1st offer, you walk away from the table and say "I'll think about it"....the "seller" almost always provides you w/ increased incentives to return.

My assessment: Bad Plan.

oh well...I'm still debating if this is worse than Free Donuts.

Date: May 13, 2021 17:54

stickyfingers101
[abcnews.go.com]

[www.npr.org]

My 2 Cents:

Paying people to get the vaccine (or offering prizes) sets a horrible precedent, IMO.

This type of "added incentives" likely means that next Pandemic (or when we need boosters for this one in a few months), we'll have a whole contingent of people saying/thinking: "well, last time they gave out lottery tickets and/or money to the 'hesitant'"....I'm gonna wait to see if they start paying people to take the vax"

or we're gonna have a whole host of people who say: "Well, if they are giving ONE lottery ticket today....they'll probably give 2 lottery tickets if enough of us hold out longer"

it's basic haggling...anybody who's ever travelled in the 3rd World or been to a Flea Market (or bought a car) knows this.....after the 1st offer, you walk away from the table and say "I'll think about it"....the "seller" almost always provides you w/ increased incentives to return.

Well said.

This pandemic has surely laid the template for how governments, individuals, etc. will react in future pandemics. Could be troubling.

Date: May 13, 2021 18:11

NashvilleBlues
stickyfingers101
[abcnews.go.com]

[www.npr.org]

My 2 Cents:

Well said.

This pandemic has surely laid the template for how governments, individuals, etc. will react in future pandemics. Could be troubling.

Have to agree. There is a shortsightedness to this approach.

Replacing education with incentives is tacitly stating, "look, we can't articulate why you should so we'll just bribe you instead".

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 13, 2021 18:25

NashvilleBlues
stickyfingers101
[abcnews.go.com]

[www.npr.org]

My 2 Cents:

Well said.

Meh... keeping in mind that (as it relates to the US) this is the first pandemic of this magnitude in 100 years,
I'm not too concerned about precedence for the future when it comes to incentivizing the jab.

Six states now have reached 70% vax rates, six more close to it.
Death rates are the lowest since the beginning of the pandemic.
Herd immunity is still very much in play, despite the variants etc.

Given that- while free donuts, free beer (as is the case in my city), discounted sport tickets, etc. etc,, may not individually be enough to push us over the hump, collectively they could add up to be enough to get enough shots in arms. Government lotteries like Ohio's are also fine by me, If there was a federal incentive tied to vaccines, I'd also be in favor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-13 18:30 by MisterDDDD.

Date: May 13, 2021 18:37

MisterDDDD
NashvilleBlues
stickyfingers101
[abcnews.go.com]

[www.npr.org]

My 2 Cents:

Well said.

Meh... keeping in mind that (as it relates to the US) this is the first pandemic of this magnitude in 100 years,
I'm not too concerned about precedence for the future when it comes to incentivizing the jab.

Six states now have reached 70% vax rates, six more close to it.
Death rates are the lowest since the beginning of the pandemic.
Herd immunity is still very much in play, despite the variants etc.

Given that- while free donuts, free beer (as is the case in my city), discounted sport tickets, etc. etc,, may not individually be enough to push us over the hump, collectively they could add up to be enough to get enough shots in arms. Government lotteries like Ohio's are also fine by me, If there was a federal incentive tied to vaccines, I'd also be in favor.

No one knows when the next pandemic will hit. It's not an every 100 years thing. Another could hit this year, or it could be 200 years from now. Don't get hung up on the 100 years thing.

I fear that if/when there's a more contagious, deadly pandemic, the COVID pandemic will have instilled problematic thought patterns, when it comes to pandemics.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 13, 2021 18:48

stickyfingers101
[abcnews.go.com]

[www.npr.org]

My 2 Cents:

Agreed. And I'd bet that for some who voluntarily took the vaccine without any incentives, they might feel a bit short-changed. If and when it's time for booster shots, they might hold out waiting for the free donuts and beer, or in some cases a chance to win the lottery, etc., etc. There might even be some who have already had the vaccine who will demand their donuts and beer based on these new incentives which could lead to protests and riots!

In related hesitancy news, Anthony Fauci was on a news show last night, and he echoed what you had said in a previous post - the best way to influence those who are hesitant is to talk peacefully w/out talking down to them of hurling insults that would make them feel stupid....to paraphrase him "that never works". Instead, give them some food for thought based on facts and science. There was no mention of bribery with free donuts, beer, chances at winning the lottery,etc...it was all about educating them with facts and science in the hope they might learn something.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 13, 2021 18:56

So far in Norway as many as 90% do say YES to the covid-19 vaccine, when offered it. This will make the pandemic go away by 2-3 months time in Norway, during the summer months.

Our borders will still be closed for at least six months. Anyone entering the country from abroad will have to stay in quarantine hotel by law. Breaking the law is leading to a fine of NOK 20,000 i.e. usd 2,000. That is the only way to deal with all the new variants.

[www.aftenposten.no]

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-13 19:01 by bv.

Date: May 13, 2021 19:02

bv
So far in Norway as many as 90% do say YES to the covid-19 vaccine, when offered it. This will make the pandemic go away by 2-3 months time in Norway, during the summer months.

[www.aftenposten.no]

Have you noticed the pandemic went away last year in the summer without vaccinations.
Covid seems to replicate the flu season in Europe, it's a winter nightmare.

Date: May 13, 2021 19:06

bv

Our borders will still be closed for at least six months. Anyone entering the country from abroad will have to stay in quarantine hotel by law. Breaking the law is leading to a fine of NOK 20,000 i.e. usd 2,000. That is the only way to deal with all the new variants.

[www.aftenposten.no]

In the US, we'd complain about "freedom." "This is 'Merica!" drinking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-13 19:06 by NashvilleBlues.

Date: May 13, 2021 19:15

CDC reports 13 additional cases of blood clots linked to J&J COVID-19 vaccine. All happened before 11-day pause in its use.

[www.yahoo.com]

Date: May 13, 2021 19:16

treaclefingers
bleedingman

Who do you trust?

don't be offended...not you.

None taken but I didn't ask anyone to trust me. My post had conflicting arguments by those that (some) people do trust.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...240241242243244245246247248249250...LastNext
Current Page: 245 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1771
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home