Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...238239240241242243244245246247248...LastNext
Current Page: 243 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: May 10, 2021 17:17

daspyknows
stickyfingers101
jbwelda
>The Court's decision articulated the view that individual liberty is not absolute and is subject to the police power of the state.

I don't get these people who complain that their "freedom" is being taken away by one thing or another, most lately the vaccinations. That horse left the barn a long LONG time ago, have these people been asleep or what? Never heard of laws and all that society stuff?

jb

insults....the proven way NOT to achieve your goals.

yeah...I don't get all those people out there clamoring about "freedom" and "justice" and all those pointless concepts....

my God...what kind of country do you want to live in? One where we DON'T debate where individual freedoms end and state-authority begins??? Where people DON'T speak up when they feel their rights have been violated????

terribly sorry if such a debate is inconvenient to you...but, that's what Democracy looks like.

Fortunately for the rest of us, you-alone don't get to determine which issues OTHERS think are important to their "freedom".....

which horse left the barn? the "Freedom" horse? Not entirely, anyway...but, it most certainly will if more people shift to the attitude you display here.

Debate only works when there is agreement on truth. When there are two versions of "truth" then debate is a waste of time. Covid 19 is a perfect example of this. Not sure I see any insults by jbwelda in her comments but then again there seems to be two versions of "freedom" so there must be two versions of "insults" too.

"never heard of laws and society and all that stuff?" (translation, IMO: "are you stupid or what?")

maybe I read it wrong, but it sure reads as a patronizing statement.

so, I guess I'd re-classify his statement as a "microaggression" or a "thinly veiled insult" (which are different than macroaggressions or direct insults).

apologies for any confusion.

oh...and his "these people" is a sweeping generalization.....another type of insult.

This is also called "stereotyping"....another form of insult that is based on (often inaccurate) generalizations about an entire group of people rather than respect and acknowledgement of individuality - warts, stupidity and all.

So...yes, IMO, there is more than one type of insult.

and another difference - you should always insult in-person, rather than online.

More honest that way.

IMO.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 10, 2021 18:07

curt
This fellow Wade is not a scientist, he is a journalist.
Looks like he favors "creationism" over evolution...

Yep more right wing "facts" we are supposed to debate. Not sure why "facts" from the flat earth crowd needs to be debated.

Date: May 10, 2021 18:10

stickyfingers101
daspyknows
stickyfingers101
jbwelda
>The Court's decision articulated the view that individual liberty is not absolute and is subject to the police power of the state.

I don't get these people who complain that their "freedom" is being taken away by one thing or another, most lately the vaccinations. That horse left the barn a long LONG time ago, have these people been asleep or what? Never heard of laws and all that society stuff?

jb

yeah...I don't get all those people out there clamoring about "freedom" and "justice" and all those pointless concepts....

my God...what kind of country do you want to live in? One where we DON'T debate where individual freedoms end and state-authority begins??? Where people DON'T speak up when they feel their rights have been violated????

terribly sorry if such a debate is inconvenient to you...but, that's what Democracy looks like.

Fortunately for the rest of us, you-alone don't get to determine which issues OTHERS think are important to their "freedom".....

which horse left the barn? the "Freedom" horse? Not entirely, anyway...but, it most certainly will if more people shift to the attitude you display here.

Debate only works when there is agreement on truth. When there are two versions of "truth" then debate is a waste of time. Covid 19 is a perfect example of this. Not sure I see any insults by jbwelda in her comments but then again there seems to be two versions of "freedom" so there must be two versions of "insults" too.

"never heard of laws and society and all that stuff?" (translation, IMO: "are you stupid or what?")

so, I guess I'd re-classify his statement as a "microaggression" or a "thinly veiled insult" (which are different than macroaggressions or direct insults).

oh...and his "these people" is a sweeping generalization.....another type of insult.

This is also called "stereotyping"....another form of insult that is based on (often inaccurate) generalizations about an entire group of people rather than respect and acknowledgement of individuality - warts, stupidity and all.

and another difference - you should always insult in-person, rather than online.

More honest that way.

IMO.

Sure I will insult you in person too. Where are you? Lets see if you are in a place I would bother to visit. You should also do what you say, but then that would mean you are not a hypocrite which has yet to be demonstrated.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 10, 2021 18:39

"freedom" does not give one the freedom to, for example, yell "fire" for no purpose in a crowded theatre. In this case, we are talking about a publicly declared state of health emergency, which is a rough analog to the crowded theatre in which the refuseniks are shouting "oh its got to be very dangerous, do not take the vaccine". "Freedom" does not include the right to break laws, nor to advise people against following the advice of those in charge of the health emergency and the guidelines they decree. These are very stupid people, that is not an insult, it is a truthful evaluation of the situation and those who are standing in the way of a solution to the problem.

And yeah add me to the ones who would "insult" you in person, if you think what I say is truly an insult and made just to insult you or your fellow travellers.

thanks again
jb

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 10, 2021 21:33

Take the vaccine and take your chances. Please feel free to insult the relatives of the deceased. RIP

Norway should exclude J&J, AstraZeneca from vaccine scheme: Panel

Explaining its recommendations, the commission said eight Norwegian cases of severe clotting had been linked to the AstraZeneca vaccine, and four of those recipients had died.

[www.aljazeera.com]

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 10, 2021 21:59

daspyknows

So unless we agree with you, we're to be shouted down and not heard. Got it.

I feel like John Lennon today:

I'm sick and tired of hearing things
From uptight, short-sighted, narrow-minded hypocritics
All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth
Ive had enough of reading things
By neurotic, psychotic, pig-headed politicians
All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth

No short-haired, yellow-bellied, son of tricky dicky
Is gonna mother hubbard soft soap me
With just a pocketful of hope
Money for dope
Money for rope

I'm sick to death of seeing things
From tight-lipped, condescending, mamas little chauvinists
All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth now

I've had enough of watching scenes
Of schizophrenic, ego-centric, paranoiac, prima-donnas
All I want is the truth now
Just gimme some truth

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-10 23:32 by kovach.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 10, 2021 22:49

Metallica’s James Hetfield Is ‘a Little Skeptical’ of the Vaccine, Fears Possible COVID Passport Requirements
He was never vaccinated as a child due to religious reasons

Metallica

It doesn’t sound like James Hetfield will be receiving a COVID-19 vaccine any time soon. The Metallica frontman, who’s also a hunting and gun enthusiast, recently appeared on the Fierce Life podcast—a show produced by Fierce Firearms—and shared his thoughts on vaccines when asked if Metallica had plans to resume touring soon. “I have no clue. It’s not up to me. It really is up to the safety of everyone—not just the fans, but the crew and us. I’m not sure what that means in the future as far as vaccines. I’m a little skeptical of getting the vaccine, but it seems to be rolling out and people are getting it and I’ve got lots of friends that have done it,” he explained.
“I’m not totally sure about it,” Hetfield reiterated. “But I hope it doesn’t come to a point where you have to have that COVID stamp in your passport or something to go everywhere. But if it comes down to that, then I’ll make a decision then. We got vaccinated to go to Africa, so it’s not like I’ve never been vaccinated before. But as a kid, I never got vaccinations ’cause of our religion [Christian Science]. So that was the only time I got one—when we were going on safari in Africa.”

As Stereogum points out, the interview was conducted in March, so perhaps Hetfield’s had a change of heart since then. If not, we can only hope he fares better than fellow skeptic Ted Nugent, who recently thought he was going to die after contracting COVID-19. Though Metallica’s touring plans remain to be seen, they are slated to headline two nights at the Aftershock festival this October.

Elsewhere in the interview, Hetfield confirmed that Metallica was working on new music. “It’s either touring or writing, so COVID chose for us,” he said. “There wasn’t a lot of touring going on, so we get to write music … We wrote quite a few songs. So we’ll see how many we like first, and then we’ll put ’em out. We’re pretty selfish that way; we like what we write as well.”

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 10, 2021 23:14

bleedingman
Take the vaccine and take your chances. Please feel free to insult the relatives of the deceased. RIP

Explaining its recommendations, the commission said eight Norwegian cases of severe clotting had been linked to the AstraZeneca vaccine, and four of those recipients had died.

[www.aljazeera.com]

Although put in perspective, the rate of blood clotting happens at less than 1/10 compared to women taking 'the pill', which has a rate of 1 in 10,000.

Even so, I have no doubt that if they could make Moderna or Pfizer fast enough, that would be the overwhelming choice for everyone. Seems to be the case in Canada, where they are distributing by age, Pfizer and Moderna, but if you want to 'jump the queue', you can go get Astra Zeneca at a drug store (at least in BC ).

I did wait and finally got the Moderna, no side effects. My wife on the other hand who is a bit younger and didn't want to wait got AZ, and had two days of a brutal reaction (no blood clotting, just severe reaction high fever, nausea, chills, aches).

Date: May 10, 2021 23:53

1 in 17.000 in Norway. At the max, according to the health authorities.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-10 23:55 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: May 10, 2021 23:56

DandelionPowderman
1 in 17.000 in Norway. At the max, according to 5he health authorities.

Pretty high compared to the ROW. I wonder if that's just because a smaller sample size,a bad batch, or we're not getting the complete picture?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 11, 2021 00:32

Yay!!
All my kids now (three adults, one teen) will be vaccinated (soon).
My three adult kids all got their second dose last week, and I am betting on getting my 15yo in likely this week. Family vacation rental coming up!!

The F.D.A. authorizes the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine for children 12 to 15.

May 10, 2021, 5:17 p.m. ET
The Food and Drug Administration on Monday authorized use of the Pfizer-BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine for 12- to 15-year-olds in the United States, a crucial step in the nation’s steady recovery from the pandemic and a boon to tens of millions of American families eager for a return to normalcy.

The authorization caps weeks of anticipation among parents, who have been grappling with how to conduct their lives when only the adults in a household are immunized. It removes an obstacle to school reopenings by reducing the threat of transmission in classrooms, and affords millions of adolescents the opportunity to attend summer camps, sleepovers and get-togethers with friends.

“This is great news,” said Dr. Kristin Oliver, a pediatrician and vaccine expert at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York. “It feels like we’ve been waiting a long time to start protecting children in this age group.” The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is already available to anyone over 16."
[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 11, 2021 00:43

MisterDDDD
Yay!!
My three adult kids all got their second dose last week, and I am betting on getting my 15yo in likely this week. Family vacation rental coming up!!

The Food and Drug Administration on Monday authorized use of the Pfizer-BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine for 12- to 15-year-olds in the United States, a crucial step in the nation’s steady recovery from the pandemic and a boon to tens of millions of American families eager for a return to normalcy.

The authorization caps weeks of anticipation among parents, who have been grappling with how to conduct their lives when only the adults in a household are immunized. It removes an obstacle to school reopenings by reducing the threat of transmission in classrooms, and affords millions of adolescents the opportunity to attend summer camps, sleepovers and get-togethers with friends.

“This is great news,” said Dr. Kristin Oliver, a pediatrician and vaccine expert at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York. “It feels like we’ve been waiting a long time to start protecting children in this age group.” The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is already available to anyone over 16."
[www.nytimes.com]

Congrats!

Date: May 11, 2021 01:45

bleedingman

[www.aljazeera.com]

Wow 4 deaths. That is happening every minute for those unvaccinated.

Date: May 11, 2021 01:49

kovach
daspyknows

So unless we agree with you, we're to be shouted down and not heard. Got it.

I feel like John Lennon today:

I'm sick and tired of hearing things
From uptight, short-sighted, narrow-minded hypocritics
All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth
Ive had enough of reading things
By neurotic, psychotic, pig-headed politicians
All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth

No short-haired, yellow-bellied, son of tricky dicky
Is gonna mother hubbard soft soap me
With just a pocketful of hope
Money for dope
Money for rope

I'm sick to death of seeing things
From tight-lipped, condescending, mamas little chauvinists
All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth now

I've had enough of watching scenes
Of schizophrenic, ego-centric, paranoiac, prima-donnas
All I want is the truth now
Just gimme some truth

If you are spewing lies and misinformation like Covid is a hoax or the vaccines and masks don't work to prevent infection you are damned right. If we are both debating using facts like debate used to be, no.

Date: May 11, 2021 03:20

crholmstrom
MisterDDDD
Yay!!

[www.nytimes.com]

Congrats!

Yes, congratulations! Hoping my 15 and 13 year old get vaccinated by June. We're scheduled for second dose in August, so a ways to go yet.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 11, 2021 04:07

daspyknows
bleedingman

[www.aljazeera.com]

Thankfully you are not one of the 4. You're an idiot.

Date: May 11, 2021 05:16

bleedingman
daspyknows
bleedingman

[www.aljazeera.com]

Thankfully you are not one of the 4. You're an idiot.

I would rather take the risk of being 1 of 4 of a few million than 1 of a hundred who die from catching Covid. YOU are the idiot. Do the math or do you not accept math as real. You prove one can't fix stupid.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 11, 2021 07:55

daspyknows
bleedingman

[www.aljazeera.com]

No, not in Norway. 770 allthogether, since March last year. Of course AstraZentra is a lot better than nothing, but when one have a choice...other vaccines are obviously preferrable

Date: May 11, 2021 08:47

Erik_Snow
daspyknows
bleedingman

[www.aljazeera.com]

No, not in Norway. 770 allthogether, since March last year. Of course AstraZentra is a lot better than nothing, but when one have a choice...other vaccines are obviously preferrable

Total agreement there are better choices but if I had the choice of catching Covid or taking the Astra Zeneca shot it would be a no brainer. If Norway only had 770 deaths in 14 months they did a very good job. Other countries have not done nearly as well. Those getting vaccinated have a much better chance of living than those who are not vaccinated. Those who choose not to get vaccinated because they don't trust the vaccines and then catch Covid and get seriously ill or die have no one to blame but themselves. They made a choice. Those who died from Covid before vaccines were available never got to make that choice.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 11, 2021 10:16

THE AUSTRALIAN ---- 11 May 2021

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: May 11, 2021 12:20

Just need help with this , forget being for or against covid masks, lockdows, vaccines etc etc, let's just say covid never goes away, that in some way or another it's always around like a deadly flu that keeps coming back in different variants and is a continuing threat somewhere in the world.
What do we do, do we continue to lockdown after lockdown and have maybe 4 vaccines per year, and avoid people and places and eventually lose our jobs and economies until there isn't enough money to even have a health service , there becomes a point where there aren't enough people in employment paying taxes to provide the care needed for vaccines etc.

At what point do people carry on with their lives regardless of the threat of covid.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 11, 2021 12:35

Rocktiludrop, you're making sense. Not sure that's popular. Cheers!

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: May 11, 2021 12:57

Rocktiludrop
Just need help with this , forget being for or against covid masks, lockdows, vaccines etc etc, let's just say covid never goes away, that in some way or another it's always around like a deadly flu that keeps coming back in different variants and is a continuing threat somewhere in the world.
What do we do, do we continue to lockdown after lockdown and have maybe 4 vaccines per year, and avoid people and places and eventually lose our jobs and economies until there isn't enough money to even have a health service , there becomes a point where there aren't enough people in employment paying taxes to provide the care needed for vaccines etc.

At what point do people carry on with their lives regardless of the threat of covid.

Don't know if you're a young dude or an old dude (like mewinking smiley), but the things you mention have already been part of our daily lives for very long. Over in my country you get a free flu vaccination every year. Most of the time it works, but an odd mutant my cause trouble. The same is going to happen with Covid-19. Time will learn how long antibodies stay active in the human body. Based on those data eventually a scheme will be set up to vaccinate you/me and those with common sense once a year, twice a year or maybe even three times a year. If the human race is lucky, maybe once in two years (measles antibodies last "your whole life" !!). Life will get back to "normal" again and the economy will be running "happily" again. For you it's just being a human with common sense!!! Wear a mask as long as needed (East Asians do it already for a Century!!!), wash you hands, be aware of sneezing or heavily coughing people around you and you will be fine for most of your time,
I was badly ill for three weeks (nasty flu, different mutant), because some irrisponsible school management organized a Christmas-end of the year event (knowing that five teachers had gotten the flu already, which we didn't know!). As a granddad my grand children asked me to come and see them, so what do you do?
You'll never be safe 100%, nobody is. But as long as a big meteorite is not on it's way to destroy all life on Earth, I'd say ... Don't worry, be happy cool smiley
smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 11, 2021 13:03

Genetics are part of the reason why more fatalities happened from the vector based vaccines (like Astra Zeneca) in Norway. Young and healthy people age 30-40 have died, and another 4-8 young and perfectly healthy people per 100,000 would have died if the J&J and AZ vaccines had been used in Norway.

The delay in the vaccination program in Norway following not using AZ and JJ will be just two weeks, as there is a growing supply of Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. The virus is under control, we have approx one death per day.

In countries having larger problems with covid-19, it makes perfectly sense to use all vaccines. It is all a matter of risk vs benefit on a per country basis.

Norway advised to drop Oxford/AstraZeneca and J&J from vaccine program
Neither viral vector vaccine is currently being used in the country
(Politico 11 May 2021)

Norway's expert committee on vaccination advised the government on Monday to use neither the Oxford/AstraZeneca nor the Johnson & Johnson jab for its immunization drive.

The decision is based on the reports of rare blood clots with low platelets but also takes into consideration the stable and low case count in Norway, which makes the supply situation less urgent, wrote the committee in its report.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-11 13:04 by bv.

Date: May 11, 2021 15:19

<The delay in the vaccination program in Norway following not using AZ and JJ will be just two weeks>

That's true for society as a whole (which is most important, of course).

For individuals, though, it may be up till two months.

Date: May 11, 2021 19:12

daspyknows
stickyfingers101
daspyknows
stickyfingers101
jbwelda

jb

More honest that way.

IMO.

Sure I will insult you in person too. Where are you? Lets see if you are in a place I would bother to visit. You should also do what you say, but then that would mean you are not a hypocrite which has yet to be demonstrated.

I'm sure you would. Actually, no I'm not.

Regardless, I'm not that concerned. I've dealt with bullies like you and JB my entire life...talk, talk, talk. Most of them, that's all they are.

Those that aren't all talk, well....some fights went well, some went badly. It is what it is. I'm not concerned.

Just so you are aware: I have my Vax, I believe in the Vax, I wear a mask, I'm not a denier...

I simply disagree w/ you about Vaccine Passports...and I prefer to look at "vaccine hesitancy" as a multi-faceted problem, rather than jump to immediate generalization of all "vaccine hesitancy" as "anti-vaxxers" (followed by a healthy heaping of insults and disdain)

In other words, I'd rather talk to the Vaccine Hesitant, see why they are hesitant and figure out if there is room for discussion and changing-of-minds....

But, as stated many times....if you think the strategy of hurling insults is the most effective way to get others to migrate to your position, well....good luck.

(ps...I live in a state you'd visit)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-11 19:47 by stickyfingers101.

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: May 11, 2021 20:26

How is it that some people here can hurl insults for months on end on this thread and get away with it when it's clearly not accepted by others. It is bullying. These characters, not naming names, its just horrible if anyone doesn't agree with their fanatical views, man the Stones have some unsavoury fans, I'm sure Mick & Keith have nothing in common with people like that..

I thought politics wasn't allowed in iorr, doesn't get more political than this covid thread.
I'M OUT..

Date: May 11, 2021 20:52

jbwelda
"freedom" does not give one the freedom to, for example, yell "fire" for no purpose in a crowded theatre. In this case, we are talking about a publicly declared state of health emergency, which is a rough analog to the crowded theatre in which the refuseniks are shouting "oh its got to be very dangerous, do not take the vaccine". "Freedom" does not include the right to break laws, nor to advise people against following the advice of those in charge of the health emergency and the guidelines they decree. These are very stupid people, that is not an insult, it is a truthful evaluation of the situation and those who are standing in the way of a solution to the problem.

And yeah add me to the ones who would "insult" you in person, if you think what I say is truly an insult and made just to insult you or your fellow travellers.

thanks again
jb

you're comparing giving advice about a non-mandatory vaccine to yelling fire in a crowded theater?

if that analogy is true, then Covid is the Flu.

it is perfectly legal to give bad advice as long as it is not encouraging someone to break the law.

....and these Health Authorities you refer to are NOT "the law"...they are giving "advice" too...not all of it has been good (Fauci/WHO/CDC ALL said at the start: "no need to wear masks"....WHO held that position until JUNE 2020)

some Granola Type People "advised" my parents to avoid Chemo and try "organic" treatments for my brother's cancer....it's not illegal. It's just bad advice....ask Steve Jobs.

(for the record, my bro did chemo etc...he died....14 f'n years old...it happens...RIP)

for the record #2: I am NOT supporting giving bad advice, NOT supporting talking AGAINST the vaccine and/or NOT encouraging against it...precisely the opposite.

but, in a democracy, "giving bad advice about non-legally-binding matters" is perfectly legal.

that totally sucks for what we want to accomplish w/ Covid Vaccines....agreed.

but, there's a price for freedom....that price is called "security"....the more you want of one, the less you get of the other.

that's one thing I know...that and insults rarely work to change minds.

Speaking of that, I'm sure you'd insult me to my face too...oh wait, no I'm not. See my other post.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-11 21:04 by stickyfingers101.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 11, 2021 21:03

stickyfingers101
I'd rather talk to the Vaccine Hesitant, see why they are hesitant and figure out if there is room for discussion and changing-of-minds....

I know alot of people who are hesitant, and some might even be "ant-vax", but I can't imagine talking with them and saying "just goes to show you can't fix stupid you f*king idiot".
I don't even feel it's my place to try and push the vaccination on any one who is hesitant or anti-vax - I simply let them know my wife and I have it along with many others, we feel good about it, and leave it at that.
Would I prefer everybody get in line and get the vaccination? Yes, but some might have their own personal and/or legitimate reasons for not wanting to get it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-11 21:06 by Hairball.

Date: May 11, 2021 21:08

Hairball
stickyfingers101
I'd rather talk to the Vaccine Hesitant, see why they are hesitant and figure out if there is room for discussion and changing-of-minds....

I know alot of people who are hesitant, and some might even be "ant-vax", but I can't imagine talking with them and saying "just goes to show you can't fix stupid you f*king idiot".
I don't even feel it's my place to try and push the vaccination on any one who is hesitant or anti-vax - I simply let them know my wife and I have it along with many others, we feel good about it, and leave it at that.
Would I prefer everybody get in line and get the vaccination? Yes, but some might have their own personal and/or legitimate reasons for not wanting to get it.

I agree 100%

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...238239240241242243244245246247248...LastNext
Current Page: 243 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2065
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home