Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...96979899100101102103104105106...LastNext
Current Page: 101 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 15, 2020 23:02

bv
Beast
So - Trump withdrawing funding from WHO pending a review of its handling of the pandemic eye rolling smiley

A leading politician in Norway today said you do not close down the fire station when there is a big fire going around.

Australia decided to ignore the W.H.O. and slammed them for their shortcomings:
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 15, 2020 23:02

Javadave
I had the pleasure of sailing up and down the Scandinavian coast along the North Sea with my Swedish relatives and friends on some idyllic summer days in my teens. It was always cool to see the flags on the boats from all of the different nations. I imagine that is all on hold now too? Is the coast guard turning away boats from other nations?

Yes. Boats may be outside our international borders, but any non-Norwegian boat trying to get close to our seaside borders i.e. fjords, harbours etc are told to return to where they came from. The visitor ban is valid for our long coastline, as well as roads by land, and airports.

Bjornulf

Date: April 15, 2020 23:10

About the WHO funding:

‘A Crime Against Humanity.’ Why Trump’s WHO Funding Freeze Benefits Nobody (TIME - APRIL 15, 2020)

Richard Horton, the editor-in-chief of the Lancet medical journal, wrote that Trump’s decision was “a crime against humanity. Every scientist, every health worker, every citizen must resist and rebel against this appalling betrayal of global solidarity.”

Trump’s sluggish response stands out against the examples of other nations. South Korea, for one, confirmed its first case of COVID-19 just one day before the U.S. Yet a robust public health response that tested three times as many citizens per capita has kept reported cases under 11,000 compared to more than 600,000 in the U.S., which also has a triple the fatality rate.

“President Trump is trying to rewrite history to divert criticism from his own administration’s failures,” Adam Kamradt-Scott, associate professor specializing in global health security at the University of Sydney, tells TIME. “Lives will be lost as a result.”

Bjornulf

Posted by: artedm ()
Date: April 15, 2020 23:15

Mayor of los angeles california
Coronavirus could halt L.A. concerts, sporting events until 2021, Garcetti says
[www.latimes.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 15, 2020 23:48

Maindefender
bv
Beast
So - Trump withdrawing funding from WHO pending a review of its handling of the pandemic eye rolling smiley

A leading politician in Norway today said you do not close down the fire station when there is a big fire going around.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Interesting.

"Indeed, the Australian government has been one step ahead of the WHO since even before the deadly virus reached Australian shores on 25 January.
That week, while the WHO director-general was busy saying China should be 'congratulated' for protecting 'the people of the world', the Australian government was hatching a national plan to stop the virus.
On February 1, when there were 14,000 recorded cases in the world, Australia banned flights from China. Two days later, on February 3, the WHO was still telling countries not to initiate travel bans.
Director-General Tedros Adhanom stood up in front of the world's media and said there was no need for measures that 'unnecessarily interfere with international travel and trade'.
In the same press conference he called the spread of the virus 'minimal and slow' and heaped praise on China for locking down Wuhan".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-15 23:48 by Hairball.

Posted by: artedm ()
Date: April 16, 2020 00:50

Look at Doctor Fauci statements from January

On Jan. 21, he emphasized that it was unclear whether the virus could spread from person to person

In a Jan. 23 Journal of the American Medical Association podcast, Dr. Fauci repeatedly downplayed the virus’ potential impact on the U.S.

“it’s a very, very low risk to the United States. … It isn’t something the American public needs to worry about or be frightened about.

Fauci repeated in a Jan. 31 White House briefing that “we still have a low risk to the American public,

Weeks later, Fauci was still downplaying the risks, saying on Feb. 18 that the “hypothetical danger of coronavirus” to America was “just minuscule” compared to the “real and present danger” of the seasonal flu.

[www.realclearpolitics.com]

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 16, 2020 01:25

Maindefender
bv
Beast

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Many of the quotes in that Daily Mail article are from members of parliament. To automatically extrapolate that to Australian Government is not wise at all.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 16, 2020 01:37

THE AUSTRALIAN --- 16 April 2020

ROCKMAN

Date: April 16, 2020 01:49

ROCKMAN

Date: April 16, 2020 01:58

ROCKMAN

Date: April 16, 2020 02:09

CaptainCorella
Maindefender
bv
Beast

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Many of the quotes in that Daily Mail article are from members of parliament. To automatically extrapolate that to Australian Government is not wise at all.

You mean the Daily Mail is extrapolating, correct? Are they notorious for exaggeration? Do they have an agenda?

Date: April 16, 2020 02:40

Maindefender
CaptainCorella
Maindefender
bv
Beast

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

You mean the Daily Mail is extrapolating, correct? Are they notorious for exaggeration? Do they have an agenda?

You might think that... I could not possibly comment.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: April 16, 2020 03:47

CaptainCorella
Maindefender
CaptainCorella
Maindefender
bv
Beast

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Then why did you comment in the first place?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 16, 2020 04:00

Today was the deadliest day yet in the United States, with 2,492 new lab test positive COVID19 deaths.

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: April 16, 2020 05:07

Maindefender
CaptainCorella

Perhaps....we're living in a House of Cards? grinning smiley

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: April 16, 2020 05:27

Here in Seattle, the first sign of things reopening is scheduled this weekend as the large outdoor farmer’s markets in two of our north side neighborhoods reopen:

[www.seattletimes.com]

It appears several extra precautions are being taken, but I am still a bit surprised this is happening. Perhaps they are using this as a test run to see how well the public adheres to distancing protocols and if there is any evidence of community spread of the virus from these events when the current May 5th “non-essential” business shutdown expires and a decision will be made on lifting or extending it.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 16, 2020 06:21

Javadave
Here in Seattle, the first sign of things reopening is scheduled this weekend as the large outdoor farmer’s markets in two of our north side neighborhoods reopen:

[www.seattletimes.com]

It appears several extra precautions are being taken, but I am still a bit surprised this is happening. Perhaps they are using this as a test run to see how well the public adheres to distancing protocols and if there is any evidence of community spread of the virus from these events when the current May 5th “non-essential” business shutdown expires and a decision will be made on lifting or extending it.

Was surprised and a little disappointed to read that today as well.
They have emphasized the extra spacing, no food sold to be eaten there etc., but makes me nervous. They are doing the same up where I am in Bellingham this week.
May end up feeling safer than inside a grocery store for some I suppose.

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: April 16, 2020 07:18

New Poll from the USA says only 35% of people are interested in going back to large scale concerts.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: April 16, 2020 07:54

DREAMTIME
New Poll from the USA says only 35% of people are interested in going back to large scale concerts.

I don't know the exact question, but it seems to me like a huuuge number actualy. How many % of people were interested before? I mean - of course people who don't go to large scale concerts are not interested. And I would guess that less than 35% of people go to large scale concerts. By that logic it looks like all relevant people (and possibly more) are actualy interested. Or am I reading it wrong? Does the number represent % of the concert-goers only?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 16, 2020 08:04

By saying "going back", looks to me like it represents the % of concert goers who enjoyed attending concerts in the past pre-coronavirus.
You can't really go back if you were never there, so I doubt it refers to people who weren't ever interested to begin with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-16 08:05 by Hairball.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: April 16, 2020 10:49

Javadave

[www.seattletimes.com]

The other day I watched interviews with Danish mothers, who clearly told that they didn't like the experiment of the Danish government to already gradually op primary schools again. They told reporters that they didn't want their children to be used as test cases. The rest of Europe is closely watching the outcome if the Danish experiment.

Date: April 16, 2020 11:55

Norway is re-opening very slowly, starting Monday April 20 with kindergarten, and then the week after April 27 with schools level 1-4 i.e. age 6-9.

Kindergarten just got the rules of avoiding corona virus spread yesterday. Max 3 children per adult. The 3 children in each group may be together, but they will stay in the same groups, and not change between groups. Any sick child will have to stay at home, even with mild symptoms like a cold. Extended testing will be in place.

Bjornulf

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 16, 2020 12:09

georgie48
Javadave

[www.seattletimes.com]

The other day I watched interviews with Danish mothers, who clearly told that they didn't like the experiment of the Danish government to already gradually op primary schools again. They told reporters that they didn't want their children to be used as test cases. The rest of Europe is closely watching the outcome if the Danish experiment.

Lombardy (Italian region where my hometown Milano is located) announced a sort of reopening starting from the first week of May.

In case, I am very happy to be a sort of Guinea Pig for the rest of Italy.

Paraphrasing the ancient Greek historian Thucydides, the fear of the plague is making more damages than the plague itself.

C

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: April 16, 2020 12:20

In Germany all festivals and big events till August 31st have to be cancelled.

Date: April 16, 2020 12:52

This article by Reuters is telling how easily the virus pass on. Also, how the virus first came from China to Germany, then to Italy.

Pass the salt: The minute details that helped Germany build virus defences (Reuters APRIL 9, 2020 )

MUNICH (Reuters) - One January lunchtime in a car parts company, a worker turned to a colleague and asked to borrow the salt.

The co-workers were early links in what was to be the first documented chain of multiple human-to-human transmissions outside Asia of COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus.

They are based in Stockdorf, a German town of 4,000 near Munich in Bavaria, and they work at car parts supplier Webasto Group. The company was thrust under a global microscope after it disclosed that one of its employees, a Chinese woman, caught the virus and brought it to Webasto headquarters. There, it was passed to colleagues - including, scientists would learn, a person lunching in the canteen with whom the Chinese patient had no contact.

Bjornulf

Date: April 16, 2020 13:10

likecats
Maindefender
CaptainCorella

Perhaps....we're living in a House of Cards? grinning smiley

Thank you. Someone else who knew the reference.

Actually, going back to the "original" (sic) Daily Mail story. I now find out that it's a DM re-write of a more neutral article in the previous day's Guardian.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: April 16, 2020 13:21

Finland is extending testing to those with mild symptoms, the increased capacity permits that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-16 13:21 by Topi.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: April 16, 2020 13:42

Those days of being one of the few people in a bar but listening to a killer rock band may be back...

Date: April 16, 2020 15:24

Singapore penalty for breaking quarantine rules:

Man who breached Covid-19 stay-home notice to eat bak kut teh convicted; DPP argues for 10- to 12-week jail term (The Straits Times 16 Apr 2020)

SINGAPORE - A man who breached a stay-home notice (SHN) and travelled out of his home to eat bak kut teh (a pork rib dish) on March 23 was convicted on Thursday (April 16) after pleading guilty to an offence under the Infectious Diseases Act.

Alan Tham Xiang Sheng, 34, is the first person to be convicted of exposing others to the risk of infection by breaching an SHN.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Kenneth Chin urged the court to sentence Tham to at least 10 to 12 weeks' jail to "reflect the seriousness of the offence" and deter others from committing a similar act.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 16, 2020 16:29

Twenty-one (21) miilion Americans currently unemployed.

[www.foxbusiness.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-16 17:01 by Chris Fountain.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...96979899100101102103104105106...LastNext
Current Page: 101 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1826
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home