Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...99100101102103104105106107108109...LastNext
Current Page: 104 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 18, 2020 14:37

bv
I have been told that Fox News are right wing, and New York Times, CNN, Washington Post, La Times, Seattle Times, Chicago Tribune and so on are left wing. Is there a news channel in USA accepted by BOTH republicans and democrats? The reason why I ask, is because I am trying to find a completely neutral US news channel these days.

This chart is fairly accurate as far as peoples perceptions.
CNN has traditionally been considered neutral amongst the cable giants, but perception has changed in recent years after many calls of "fake news".
Seattle Times is also an excellent neutral source these days imo.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 18, 2020 14:49

I would place WSJ and Washington Examiner in the "C" or Center column

Date: April 18, 2020 14:58

Chris Fountain

WSJ is in the C column (their opinion page considered leans right)
The Washington Examiner is definitely a conservative leaning source.

So, looks like WSJ may be considered neutral by most of us cool smiley

Date: April 18, 2020 15:04

MisterDDDD
Chris Fountain

WSJ is in the C column (their opinion page considered leans right)
The Washington Examiner is definitely a conservative leaning source.

So, looks like WSJ may be considered neutral by most of us cool smiley

Agreed! I think comparing the Washington Times, which is extremely "R" to the Washington Examiner, made me think the latter may lean toward the center.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: April 18, 2020 15:13

Although it may be true that the WallStreetJournal is neutral, with such a name it is probably difficult to convince poor people that it is true.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: April 18, 2020 15:31

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: April 18, 2020 19:01

Here in Finland, there are now nearly 100 Covid-19 deaths. 3861 confirmed cases.

The Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare or the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health don't recommmend using cloth/fabric masks, though. Moreover, according to them, the latest research suggests the virus spreads mainly through droplets, not so much through surfaces.

[thl.fi]

[thl.fi]-

The new coronavirus is primarily transmitted through respiratory droplets and contact when a person coughs or sneezes. According to current information, the role of contaminated surfaces does not contribute significantly to the spread of the virus. The structure of coronaviruses is such that they do not remain infectious on surfaces for a long time, especially at varying temperatures.

Even if the coronavirus is found on surfaces using highly sensitive laboratory methods, this does not mean that the virus is effectively transmitted via surfaces. Normal cleaning agents can effectively kill the coronavirus.

Using a face mask may be recommended for people with symptoms who are forced to be in public places and may infect others.

Other people, such as tourists or customer service workers, will probably not benefit from the use of a face mask. There is no evidence that the extensive use of a face mask prevents infections in the general population.

Although a face mask prevents you from touching your mouth and nose and protects against droplets, it is only useful if used correctly. The mask must be replaced frequently and disposed of safely. This is why it is best to first and foremost take care of good hand hygiene.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 18, 2020 21:18

Fake News or not, with CNN's CEO/President having "Pep rallies" for his reporters to bash Trump, hard to think they're anything but liberal/left.

CNN=Left

CNN Worldwide President Jeffrey Zucker has been accused of waging a vendetta against President Trump, and undercover footage released Monday by Project Veritas did nothing to dispel that view.

The self-described guerilla journalism outlet released a hidden-camera report featuring audio of a man identified as Mr. Zucker pushing for coverage advancing the Trump impeachment narrative and blasting Fox News for its “fake conspiracy nonsense.”

“Jeff Zucker, basically president of CNN, has a personal vendetta against Trump,” said a man identified as Nick Neville, media coordinator for CNN in Washington, D.C., adding, “It’s not going to be positive for Trump. He [Zucker] hates him. He’s going to be negative.”

Posted by: angee ()
Date: April 18, 2020 21:19

On the news, probably depends on who you ask.

It's hard for me to say that WSJ is any more neutral than CNN, with WSJ leaning at least slightly C and CNN perhaps slightly L. I don't check either that often.

I guess they are as neutral as you can get in the US. Humans tend to have povs, even in how they frame or highlight "facts," which ones they choose to feature or ignore, and so forth.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: April 18, 2020 21:36

Walmart & similar stores seem to be open - Why are others stores are forced closed? Seems suspicious -

Date: April 18, 2020 21:42

Chris Fountain
Walmart & similar stores seem to be open - Why are others stores are forced closed? Seems suspicious -

I went to a local Walmart last week, and they had the non-essential area of the store which sells clothing, etc. taped off. Grocery, health, and other "essential" areas remain opened.
Not a regular customer of Walmart, but in this case it was convenient for what we needed at the time.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: April 18, 2020 21:46

Neutrality does not exist, all newspapers have an editorial line and all journalists have their own opinion, so it is humanly impossible to be neutral. What you can do is try to be as objective as possible, which is very different from being neutral.

Date: April 18, 2020 22:04

Truth Testify - it's best to read the same story from various angles, and then attempt to come up with an objective conclusion on your own, but even that would be slanted by my own personal view.
Having studied alot of critical thinking and theory back in the day, it's never wise idea to rely on just one source as the be all end all...like a sheep...

Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: April 18, 2020 22:10

MSNBC is left wing. CNN is the middle. Fox News is right wing.

CNN calls out Trump for his tweets and lies. This does not make then left wing.

Date: April 18, 2020 22:16

Rocknroll1969

Big LOL. CNN is left of left. CNN pretty much. Anti Trump. And for the most part fake news.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 18, 2020 22:23

bv
I have been told that Fox News are right wing, and New York Times, CNN, Washington Post, La Times, Seattle Times, Chicago Tribune and so on are left wing. Is there a news channel in USA accepted by BOTH republicans and democrats? The reason why I ask, is because I am trying to find a completely neutral US news channel these days.

PBS/NPR maybe?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 18, 2020 22:27

Malaria drugs fail to help coronavirus patients in controlled studies (Los Angeles Times APRIL 17, 2020)

The malaria drugs touted by President Trump as potentially “the biggest game changers in the history of medicine” have received a decidedly more sober assessment of their coronavirus-fighting potential from researchers in China, France and Brazil.

Both chloroquine and its close relative hydroxychloroquine offered signs that they may ease some of the hallmark symptoms of coronavirus infection in patients who were hospitalized with COVID-19. But the drugs largely failed to deliver improvements on other key measures when evaluated in rigorous research studies.

Bjornulf

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 18, 2020 22:31

So I hear FOX is right and the rest of the US press is left which means there is only one paper to be trusted by everyone in USA and that is USA Today. Well I read them all and I make up my own mind anyway.

Bjornulf

Date: April 18, 2020 22:33

jumpontopofmebaby
Rocknroll1969

Big LOL. CNN is left of left. CNN pretty much. Anti Trump. And for the most part fake news.

Trump started the fake news nonsense. It turned out his facts were not facts at all.

Its interesting to watch how The BBC covers the US news.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-18 22:34 by Rocknroll1969.

Date: April 18, 2020 22:38

bv
So I hear FOX is right and the rest of the US press is left which means there is only one paper to be trusted by everyone in USA and that is USA Today. Well I read them all and I make up my own mind anyway.

It was not this way prior to Trump. Anyone that disagrees with him he calls fake news and claims they are left wing.

Date: April 18, 2020 22:39

Rocknroll1969
jumpontopofmebaby
Rocknroll1969

Trump started the fake news nonsense. It turned out his facts were not facts at all.

Its interesting to watch how The BBC covers the US news.

Yes Trump exposed CNN for fake news and their failure to report all the news.

CNN is a joke I watch them sometimes just to see the news they don’t cover.

Date: April 18, 2020 22:51

CNN were considered left long before Trump came in to the picture.
Even the "fake news" label goes way back with their false reporting - remember the so-called reporters "reporting" live on scene during the gulf war?
Turns out they were in a studio with fake scenery, etc.

It's almost as bad as a bad skit from SNL, but this was CNN... [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-18 22:53 by Hairball.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 18, 2020 23:08

Koen
bv

PBS/NPR maybe?

There really isn't any. You're probably best watching one of each, say MSNBC and Fox News, and assuming the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-18 23:08 by kovach.

Date: April 18, 2020 23:25

The best solution is to get news from several sources.

This is an interesting story about Fox News and Coronavirus:

[www.washingtontimes.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-18 23:30 by Rocknroll1969.

Date: April 18, 2020 23:44

Rocknroll1969

A lawsuit for reporting "false" information filed by the "Washington League for Increased Transparency and Ethics, a little-known nonprofit group that does not appear to operate a website"

Lol...and this is to be taken seriously? The frivolous lawsuit is expected to be thrown out of court in the blink of an eye.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-18 23:44 by Hairball.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: April 18, 2020 23:51

The sad thing is they are ALL against the real left...by which I mean the people they (Fox, Cnn, Msnbc) name "communists"...which would actually be the middle of the spectrum in Europe.

Posted by: IGTBA ()
Date: April 19, 2020 01:30

Rocknroll1969
bv

It was not this way prior to Trump. Anyone that disagrees with him he calls fake news and claims they are left wing.

It was that way (biased politically) prior to Trump. But since Trump, it's moved more towards the extremes. PBR/NPR has been solidly to the left for a long time. Bloomberg is a good news source, in general, but politically its' journalism is well to the left, supporting the positions of its' owner, Michael Bloomberg; and like many, it charges for reading its' general news. Also, there is recent credible evidence Bloomberg has suppressed its' China reporting to be sure it did not offend that government - so its coverage of China is constrained/biased. Bloomberg makes huge profits in China (and worldwide) from monthly fees from its extremely successful Bloomberg terminals.

USA Today is more central than most, but its' coverage is slanted against Trump - not fake, but biased. WSJ probably most neutral/unbiased with it's journalism, but its quality has declined over the past ten years. Its opinion section is to the right on business, personal responsibility, and role of government issues.

Date: April 19, 2020 01:34

Hairball
Rocknroll1969

A lawsuit for reporting "false" information filed by the "Washington League for Increased Transparency and Ethics, a little-known nonprofit group that does not appear to operate a website"

Lol...and this is to be taken seriously? The frivolous lawsuit is expected to be thrown out of court in the blink of an eye.

Fox News did ask the court to dismiss this case. The point is Fox News was not accurately reporting the Coronavirus dangers.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 19, 2020 01:34

IGTBA
Rocknroll1969
bv

It was that way (biased politically) prior to Trump. But since Trump, it's moved more towards the extremes. PBR/NPR has been solidly to the left for a long time. Bloomberg is a good news source, in general, but politically its' journalism is well to the left, supporting the positions of its' owner, Michael Bloomberg; and like many, it charges for reading its' general news. Also, there is recent credible evidence Bloomberg has suppressed its' China reporting to be sure it did not offend that government - so its coverage of China is constrained/biased. Bloomberg makes huge profits in China (and worldwide) from monthly fees from its extremely successful Bloomberg terminals.

USA Today is more central than most, but its' coverage is slanted against Trump - not fake, but biased. WSJ probably most neutral/unbiased with it's journalism, but its quality has declined over the past ten years. Its opinion section is to the right on business, personal responsibility, and role of government issues.

The New York Times isn't perfect, but it's still the most important newspaper in the country, aside from The Washington Post. That's why Trump goes ballistic on the NY Times so often. At heart, he's a New York guy and he grew up revering the Times as a beacon of truth.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 19, 2020 01:37

Funny, Al Jazeera is 'center'.

Interesting placement of 'Reason' as they're extremely socially 'left' while fiscally super 'right'. Really good alternative to the traditional left/right.

These appear to all be based on a survey of perceptions. Would really be interesting to see an independent study based on the actual reporting. I'm sure it'a been done, I remember seeing something years ago but I can't find it now.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...99100101102103104105106107108109...LastNext
Current Page: 104 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1826
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home