Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...100101102103104105106107108109110...LastNext
Current Page: 105 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: IGTBA ()
Date: April 19, 2020 02:10

latebloomer
... the New York Times as a beacon of left wing truth.

I fixed that for you. I'm about the same age as Trump and remember the NYT, relative to anything political, as being strongly to the left for more than 50 years. It has always published some very interesting articles and special inserts and remains one of the top newspapers, but all newspapers have declined greatly in importance, especially over the past twenty plus years; with a corresponding decline in investigative journalism - to our detriment (in my opinion). Meanwhile opinion journalism has grown greatly in all types of media - also to our detriment.

Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: April 19, 2020 02:23

Hairball
CNN were considered left long before Trump came in to the picture.
Even the "fake news" label goes way back with their false reporting - remember the so-called reporters "reporting" live on scene during the gulf war?
Turns out they were in a studio with fake scenery, etc.

It's almost as bad as a bad skit from SNL, but this was CNN... [www.youtube.com]

A bizarre CNN report from 30 years ago has no relevance to what the world is going thru now. To try to connect the two is ridiculous.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: April 19, 2020 02:30

IGTBA
Rocknroll1969
bv
So I hear FOX is right and the rest of the US press is left which means there is only one paper to be trusted by everyone in USA and that is USA Today. Well I read them all and I make up my own mind anyway.

It was not this way prior to Trump. Anyone that disagrees with him he calls fake news and claims they are left wing.

It was that way (biased politically) prior to Trump. But since Trump, it's moved more towards the extremes. PBR/NPR has been solidly to the left for a long time. Bloomberg is a good news source, in general, but politically its' journalism is well to the left, supporting the positions of its' owner, Michael Bloomberg; and like many, it charges for reading its' general news. Also, there is recent credible evidence Bloomberg has suppressed its' China reporting to be sure it did not offend that government - so its coverage of China is constrained/biased. Bloomberg makes huge profits in China (and worldwide) from monthly fees from its extremely successful Bloomberg terminals.

USA Today is more central than most, but its' coverage is slanted against Trump - not fake, but biased. WSJ probably most neutral/unbiased with it's journalism, but its quality has declined over the past ten years. Its opinion section is to the right on business, personal responsibility, and role of government issues.

I agree with your left-right media breakdown. I will say that I am on the right and unashamed Trump voter. The man is tireless and fearless. Nice to see here at IOOR so many similar to me.

First times Stones was Boston Gardens at North St Station in 1969. Only time too. [www.setlist.fm]

And intimate enough/ Only Love in Vain lingers with Keith sitting down on acoustic and Mick T ringing out intermittently on electric. I was with cousins and we all took what was billed as mescaline. Pill form of course.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 19, 2020 04:00

Rocknroll1969
Hairball
CNN were considered left long before Trump came in to the picture.
Even the "fake news" label goes way back with their false reporting - remember the so-called reporters "reporting" live on scene during the gulf war?
Turns out they were in a studio with fake scenery, etc.

It's almost as bad as a bad skit from SNL, but this was CNN... [www.youtube.com]

A bizarre CNN report from 30 years ago has no relevance to what the world is going thru now. To try to connect the two is ridiculous.

I was just responding to your false claim that CNN only became "fake news" since Trump came in to office which is clearly FALSE.
They've been putting out FAKE stories for ages (over 30 years) and that was proof! But to be fair (and if it makes you feel better), Fox on the right isn't much better - they're both extreme in their bias.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: April 19, 2020 07:48

MisterDDDD

[www.seattletimes.com]

I wonder why only red states (except Massachusetts) have a June 8th or later peak. Any ideas?

Date: April 19, 2020 07:51

Rocknroll1969
bv
So I hear FOX is right and the rest of the US press is left which means there is only one paper to be trusted by everyone in USA and that is USA Today. Well I read them all and I make up my own mind anyway.

It was not this way prior to Trump. Anyone that disagrees with him he calls fake news and claims they are left wing.

Like Mitt Romney. Romney is not left.

Date: April 19, 2020 08:02

Seems a bit early (and crazy) to me, but so it begins....

Florida begins reopening beaches amid coronavirus crisis, and people are enthusiastically flocking

Full story via USA Today w/pics, various news clips, etc. > Beach

(HuffPost)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-19 08:21 by Hairball.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 19, 2020 08:07

daspyknows
Rocknroll1969
bv

Like Mitt Romney. Romney is not left.

Yeah but the right doesn’t want him. BTW are he and Rand Paul done quarantining?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-19 15:24 by Maindefender.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 19, 2020 14:15

Hairball

Florida begins reopening beaches amid coronavirus crisis, and people are enthusiastically flocking

(HuffPost)

At least half those people are form Georgia smiling smiley I wish they would open the beaches here - 4 hours south of Jacksonville

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 19, 2020 14:15

I thought CNN and NYT were serious news channels. Is there a real example of a fake news article? I mean when the US president responded by "fake news" to the question from the New York Times reporter this week, all she asked for was what he did in February, right? Later on, may be not now, then I am sure we can all talk about what our leaders did in February. Most were to slow, I think. They did too little, too late. That is why too many die now, that is just my personal opinion.

Bjornulf

Date: April 19, 2020 14:41

There is nothing more inhumane than man's inhumanity to man. sad smiley

Source: unknown

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: April 19, 2020 15:09

Chris Fountain
Hairball

(HuffPost)

At least half those people are form Georgia smiling smiley I wish they would open the beaches here - 4 hours south of Jacksonville

I think these people are stupid, insane and SELFISH. Wtf?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-19 15:11 by steffialicia.

Date: April 19, 2020 15:31

bv
I thought CNN and NYT were serious news channels. Is there a real example of a fake news article? I mean when the US president responded by "fake news" to the question from the New York Times reporter this week, all she asked for was what he did in February, right? Later on, may be not now, then I am sure we can all talk about what our leaders did in February. Most were to slow, I think. They did too little, too late. That is why too many die now, that is just my personal opinion.

There’s right and left, not much middle any more. The good news is you can find out who you are relatively speaking based on the disdain or relatable level. I’ve found that I lean to the right, and inevitably that becomes your “team of choice”. Tough to find a middle ground ......

Date: April 19, 2020 15:46

steffialicia
Chris Fountain
Hairball

(HuffPost)

Agreed - if we are going to ease the rules -we need to still practice social distancing.

I think these people are stupid, insane and SELFISH. Wtf?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 19, 2020 16:21

bv

You thought right on all counts.
They'll be no examples given (other than old isolated incidents). If they get a story wrong, as any news org or human does, they'll correct or retract.

NYT and CNN are both excellent sources, as well as The Washington Post and WSJ. The non-biased media watchdogs and fact-checkers ratings are the ones to consider. The chart I posted is accurate in terms of who's left leaning, neutral, and right.
Many other ones out there that rate them similarly.

Those who lean right will never be convinced though. Kinda like debating science with those who don't believe in climate change.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 19, 2020 16:36

Curve is definitely flattening, with many countries crushing it.

Posted by: cmc ()
Date: April 19, 2020 16:38

MisterDDDD
This place is in my county, a short distance across the water from a beach cabin of mine.
It can only be reached by driving through Canada. With the borders closed to non-essential travel, it is now deemed the safest place in the country. So close, but yet so far cool smiley

This is the ‘safest place’ from coronavirus in America

The safest place from the coronavirus in the US might be a tiny town on an off-the-beaten-path peninsula connected to Canada south of Vancouver, according to a report.

The 1,300 or so residents of Point Roberts — which is part of Washington state but not directly connected to the US mainland — have not been affected by the pandemic so far, according to the UK’s Guardian.

“It’s probably the safest place to be in the country,” Pamala Sheppard, 65, who has lived in the enclave on the southernmost tip of the Tsawwassen peninsula since 1989, told the news outlet.

“Because our borders are shut, we’re like an island right now. We’re like an island with no boats,” she added.
[nypost.com]

Sounds like an awesome place to be MisterDDDD! You should be hunkering down in your cabin.

Date: April 19, 2020 16:51

MisterDDDD
bv

They'll be no examples given (other than old isolated incidents). If they get a story wrong, as any news org or human does, they'll correct or retract.

NYT and CNN are both excellent sources, as well as The Washington Post and WSJ. The non-biased media watchdogs and fact-checkers ratings are the ones to consider. The chart I posted is accurate in terms of who's left leaning, neutral, and right.

Those who lean right will never be convinced though. Kinda like debating science with those who don't believe in climate change.

There’s the soft right and hard right lean, not sure if there are soft left leaners. I don’t throw a lot of money on myself Without being deprived and don’t like money thrown around in general.

Like the beach scene above, it would be interesting to get 50 of our interpretations. Mine is good for them, I hope they are distanced properly(hard to tell), and if not there is a presence there to make sure they do. Not that they are stupid, insane or selfish.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: April 19, 2020 16:59

Maindefender
MisterDDDD
bv

There’s the soft right and hard right lean, not sure if there are soft left leaners. I don’t throw a lot of money on myself Without being deprived and don’t like money thrown around in general.

Like the beach scene above, it would be interesting to get 50 of our interpretations. Mine is good for them, I hope they are distanced properly(hard to tell), and if not there is a presence there to make sure they do. Not that they are stupid, insane or selfish.

They're not distanced properly. Not good for them and not good for others although they clearly don't care. Hope they wore their sunscreen! Better safe than sorry.

Date: April 19, 2020 17:55

steffialicia
Maindefender
MisterDDDD
bv

They're not distanced properly. Not good for them and not good for others although they clearly don't care. Hope they wore their sunscreen! Better safe than sorry.

With the exception of Spring Break most Florida beaches are i compliance just by nature. No on e wants to sit directly with another . It defeats the purpose of going to the beach.

In the Jackassville (just kidding) situation, folks were allowed to walk on the beach. With the only beach open in J-ville , of course, people were eager to get out of the house and enjoy the majesty of the beach.

They did not expect that many people to show-up. There liesin the issue.

Please keep in mind that Jacksonville is just as populous as any other city in Florida- although down these ways we joke that Jacksonville is South Georgia

Date: April 19, 2020 19:40

bv

Whether some of CNN's stories are "fake" or not has alot to do with one's perception of them as a news source. While they've always been suspect due to their biased/left-leaning reporting and fabricating/inflating stories, the "fake news" chants started reappearing with the so-called Russia/election hoax which CNN covered incessantly for months...years actually....until the story sort of fizzled out and whimpered away without any real conclusion one way or the other. Clearly they lean to the left - some would say FAR left, and it's the way they present their facts/stories coming from a left/liberal stance which rubs some in the middle and the right the wrong way. As an example - the fact is Trump is supporting the building of a border wall. CNN might present it as "Hateful racist Trump builds wall to keep people out of our free country" while those on the right (Fox for example) might say "It's about time we have a great leader to keep out illegal troublemakers, drug dealers, and terrorists". There's not many (or any) who can honestly say CNN "reporter" Don Lemon is unbiased, while at the same time there's not many who could say the same about Tucker Carlson (Fox). For me, it's nearly impossible to watch either without either cringing a bit, or laughing out loud - they're both complete idiots, but that's just my opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-19 19:41 by Hairball.

Date: April 19, 2020 20:14

Hairball
bv

Whether some of CNN's stories are "fake" or not has alot to do with one's perception of them as a news source. While they've always been suspect due to their biased/left-leaning reporting and fabricating/inflating stories, the "fake news" chants started reappearing with the so-called Russia/election hoax which CNN covered incessantly for months...years actually....until the story sort of fizzled out and whimpered away without any real conclusion one way or the other. Clearly they lean to the left - some would say FAR left, and it's the way they present their facts/stories coming from a left/liberal stance which rubs some in the middle and the right the wrong way. As an example - the fact is Trump is supporting the building of a border wall. CNN might present it as "Hateful racist Trump builds wall to keep people out of our free country" while those on the right (Fox for example) might say "It's about time we have a great leader to keep out illegal troublemakers, drug dealers, and terrorists". There's not many (or any) who can honestly say CNN "reporter" Don Lemon is unbiased, while at the same time there's not many who could say the same about Tucker Carlson (Fox). For me, it's nearly impossible to watch either without either cringing a bit, or laughing out loud - they're both complete idiots, but that's just my opinion.

Thanks for analyzing news sources in perspective during these challenging times. Awesome write -up!!!

Date: April 19, 2020 20:29

thumbs up

In other real news, our beaches are still closed and with the weather being very nice, it's beginning to drive me nuts.
I go down to my studio every day and get off the freeway right near the pier, then have to drive along the road that borders the beach for a bit.
While the walkway/bike path is still open along the beach, the beach itself is closed with signs posted every 50 yrds or so...grrr...
All I can do is grin and bear it while gnashing my teeth and hoping the day comes soon when it's safe enough to lift the restrictions and wallow in the sand and surf, but until then....grrrr............lol......

Stay safe everyone. thumbs up

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 19, 2020 20:35

Hairball
thumbs up

In other real news, our beaches are still closed and with the weather being very nice, it's beginning to drive me nuts.
I go down to my studio every day and get off the freeway right near the pier, then have to drive along the road that borders the beach for a bit.
While the walkway/bike path is still open along the beach, the beach itself is closed with signs posted every 50 yrds or so...grrr...
All I can do is grin and bear it while gnashing my teeth and hoping the day comes soon when it's safe enough to lift the restrictions and wallow in the sand and surf, but until then....grrrr............lol......

Stay safe everyone. thumbs up

At least you're near enough to go and get a breath of sea air. The air here under the Heathrow flightpath is unusually fresh and clean with so few planes flying and so few cars on the road, but there's nothing like the seaside.

Date: April 19, 2020 20:41

Yes Green Lady I'm fortunate and grateful to be where I am - restrictions and all.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 19, 2020 20:55

Oops! Wrong thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-19 22:47 by latebloomer.

Date: April 19, 2020 21:21

bv

They are real news. They became fake news in 2016. Coincidence?

Date: April 19, 2020 21:26

Maindefender
MisterDDDD
bv

you, obviously, not caught the virus or had anyone close to you get it. There is no social distancing there, no precautions, just life from 3 months ago. Ther is a hashtag devoted to them #FloridaMorons

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-19 21:34 by daspyknows.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: April 19, 2020 21:29

Al Jazeera is the best news outlet. Full stop.

Date: April 19, 2020 23:10

Hairball
bv

Perfectly said

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...100101102103104105106107108109110...LastNext
Current Page: 105 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1683
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home