Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 7 of 10
Re: Best Keith mistakes
Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: June 12, 2011 00:01

ThankGod
How has Keith "completely lost the plot here"?

What makes you think this is "pretty sad"?

His head is in a different place, and it's not the first time he lost the plot on HTW. Look at the Madeid video.

I think there are other "moments" on this tour where Keith is having a "senior moment" and that is sad.

Posted by: ThankGod ()
Date: June 12, 2011 00:20

GravityBoy
ThankGod
How has Keith "completely lost the plot here"?

What makes you think this is "pretty sad"?

His head is in a different place, and it's not the first time he lost the plot on HTW. Look at the Madeid video.

I think there are other "moments" on this tour where Keith is having a "senior moment" and that is sad.

Ok. I just dont see Keith with his head in a different place at all, and i certainly dont see him having a senior moment.

What i see is Keith playing with one foot off the stage. They need to get the stage moving back to the main area but Keith doesnt notice. Darryl points it out until Mick comes along to warn Keith. Keith stops playing while sharing the joke with Darryl.

Sure the audio on this mobile phone footage is awful and Keiths playing is sloppy. But this is certainly not footage of Keith losing the plot and Mick having to snap him out of it with a sharp kick to the foot.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 12, 2011 00:53

ThankGod

What i see is Keith playing with one foot off the stage. They need to get the stage moving back to the main area but Keith doesnt notice. Darryl points it out until Mick comes along to warn Keith. Keith stops playing while sharing the joke with Darryl.

Good observation

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 12, 2011 01:01

Darryl points it out until Mick comes along to warn Keith.

YEAH YEAH .... It's called lookin' after ya mate ...

ROCKMAN

Date: June 12, 2011 01:13

ThankGod

Sure the audio on this mobile phone footage is awful and Keiths playing is sloppy. But this is certainly not footage of Keith losing the plot and Mick having to snap him out of it with a sharp kick to the foot.

I see that now.

But Keiths playing is so bad he sounds like he's not with the rest of the band.. well he isn't.

I thought it was another Madrid moment, now that was sad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-12 01:20 by GravityBoy.

Date: June 12, 2011 11:44

SwayStones
DandelionPowderman
SwayStones
To me,Keith's worst F... Up occured in Lyon,June 2007.
OK,it wasn't a "playing mistake" but honestly , what occured at some 2 meters from me was hard enough to see.sad smiley

What did he do?

Actually,he did nothing ,andthat was the problem IMO.

I was" front row "on the left side of the stage.
Mick sang ,Ronnie played his guitar .
At one moment, Keith stopped playing,he just" sat on his ankles" i don't know if you understand what I am saying because I don't have the right translation .
He kneedled on his ankles, does it sound better ?

Anyway,he stayed like this for a long long while,with a cool smile on his face.
I was afraid he wouldn't be able to raise/stand up because it took so long .

I remember thinking "Now it's over /he's done "sad smiley

Oops, that´s too bad.

Maybe he was way into the band intros already? winking smiley

Date: June 12, 2011 20:30

The last four pages in this discussion rarely discuss Keith's fuckups at all, insteads some feuds are going on or even a discussion about Mick Jagger's fuckups, but whatever. Since some of us like it raw and swell, I'll just sum up this thread one more time:

1969.11.09 Oakland, Coliseum Arena (2nd show): Live with me [second verse, available on bootleg "Live'r than they'll ever be"]
1971.03.26 London, Marquee Club: Midnight rambler [bum note, vailable on video]
1975 Happy [on bootleg "Live in the USA"]
1975.06.17 Toronto, Maple Leaf Gardens: Brown sugar
1975.07 Los Angeles: Jumping Jack Flash [guitar is out of tune, but changed for the last verse]
1977.03.02 Toronto: Getting busted [no recording unfortunately]
1982.06.25 London, Wembley Stadium: She's so cold [available on video - some say it was Charlie Watts' fault]
1990.06.25 Paris, Parc des Princes [said to have played off key and messed up the last four songs, i. e. "It's only rock'n'roll", "Jumping Jack Flash", "Brown sugar" and "Sympathy for the Devil"]
1993.02.13 Boston, Orpheum Theater: Before they make me run [X-Pensive Winos]
1995.02.25 Johannesburg: Sympathy for the Devil [solo]
1997.09.18 Chicago, Double Door: Brown sugar [intro]
1997.09.23 Chicago, Soldier Field: Satisfaction
1997.10.23: Landover, Jack Kent Cooke Stadium [renamed to "Fedex Field" in 1999]: Start me up [instead he plays "Brown sugar"]
1999.06.11or12 London, Wembley Stadium: Gimme shelter [with Mick Jagger sayin' "Keith what you're doin'?"]
1999.06.20 Köln, Müngersdorfer Stadion: Like a rolling stone
2002.10.04 Landover, Fedex Field: Tumbling dice [playing "Tumbling dice" while setlist says "Don't stop": Mick Jagger already had his guitar around the neck]
2002.11.09 San Francisco, Pacific Bell Park: Brown sugar
2003.01.16 New York, Madison Square Garden: Shattered [started with "Satisfaction"], Satisfaction [started intro twice]
2003.07.20 Stockholm, Globen: If you can't rock me [playing "If you can't rock me" while setlist says "You got me rocking", leaving Ronnie Wood playing air guitar]
2003.07.30 Toronto, Downsview Park, "SARSstock Concert": Happy [available on DVD]
2003.08.16 Utrecht, Muziekcentrum Vredenburg: Brown sugar
2003.08.19 Amsterdam, Arena: Brown sugar
2005.08.28 Ottawa, Frank Clair Stadium [Keith leaving the stage for at least 3 minutes during "Sympathy for the Devil", followed by Charlie Watts]
2005.09.15 East Rutherford, Giants Stadium: Brown sugar
2005.09.24 Columbus, Nationwide Arena: Brown sugar
2005.09.26 Toronto: Start me up
2006.11.01 New York, Beacon Theater: Sympathy for the Devil [solo - later shown in 2008 movie "Shine a light"]
2006.11.06 Oakland, McAfee Coliseum: Connection [solo, forgets a verse]
2007.06.13 Frankfurt, Commerzbank Arena: Sympathy for the Devil
2007.06.08 Nijmegen, Holland, Goffert Park: Happy
2007.06.18 Lyon, Stade Gerland: Honky tonk women ["losing the plot" (also called a 'senior moment') in the intro, also sitting down during the show instead of playing]
2007.06.28 Madrid, Estadio Vicente Calderon: Honky tonk women [intro - some say it was Mick Jagger's mistake for not starting to sing]
2007.08.21 London, O2 Arena: Beast of burden
2010: Talking about Mick Jagger's dick in his autobiography "Life"

Honorable mentions:
- not letting Ronnie contribute more songs since 1989
- album A BIGGER BANG
- saying he snorted his late dad's ashes
- his moustache

Some fuckups may well count as "good ole raw live rock and roll" - but if Keith really @#$%& up you can hear even the Stones can be the worst rock'n'roll band in the world. Even in rock'n'roll it isn't forbidden to play correct notes - from time to time.

PS:Could it be Keith likes to @#$%& up "Brown sugar" because it is a Mick song?

One beautiful picture (by the way I wasn't aware his fingers were that crippled already then) - and note the quote:

1982 She's so cold

2006 Connection

2007 Honky tonk women

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-13 23:40 by F.U.C. the Captain.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 12, 2011 20:34

ThankGod
[

I don't see it as Keith shares the joke with Darryl & Jagger doesn't seem to joke either ,but well,may be it's just me .
I wasn't on the stage in Lyon,just a person of the crowd who attended that show ....

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 12, 2011 20:50

This remark:

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: June 12, 2011 21:18

Playing/slipping OUT OF KEY or playing something utterly NOT the song is not what I would consider a "beautiful fuckup" nor straying from "playing it safe". It's simply BAD PLAYING. Of course it's human to screw up but these are songs that, aside from Connection, Keith should be able to play in his sleep yet alone not really need to rehearse, considering how many times the songs have been played live.

It's one thing to be away from the stage monitors, like with what obviously happened during that solo for SFTD at the 1994 Miami show, and not hear what you're doing, especially if you're not looking at what you're doing; it's another to be completely lost and unaware of what others around you are doing - playing the song.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 12, 2011 22:01

I gotta say Keith didnt fxck up in the 70s even if some fans dont like the drughazed versions of the 1975 Happy. It was charming, he was cool and it wasnt really an ongoing thing, it was 1975 and somehow it worked, he was young and could get away with murder. He was a great guitarist back then no matter how high he was. He isnt great anymore, not on stage at least. Same solos, same riffs, exact same licks year after year after year. And when he doesnt bother to deliever them you have Mick singing over a drum beat. And it shows.

Date: June 12, 2011 22:28

Frankfurt 2007 SFTD

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: June 12, 2011 22:32

Good grief - Mick's woo woo's are no where near the key of what they should be!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 12, 2011 23:01

If the timing is right I can stand a little bit off key playing. I'm not a musician but sometimes i get the impression that his timing is off: He's playing notes where there shouldn't be any and vice versa.

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: June 13, 2011 01:13

Stoneage
If the timing is right I can stand a little bit off key playing. I'm not a musician but sometimes i get the impression that his timing is off: He's playing notes where there shouldn't be any and vice versa.

I can tolerate it only a a short time but then I start feeling bad and start sweating !

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 13, 2011 01:39

It's Charlie who screws up the version of She's So Cold posted above.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 13, 2011 01:44

Agree Your Majesty! He comes in too late (or early). And when he tries to rescue it gets worse! Charlie's fault not Keith's. We can't blame Keith for everything!

Date: June 13, 2011 09:39

Stoneage
Agree Your Majesty! He comes in too late (or early). And when he tries to rescue it gets worse! Charlie's fault not Keith's. We can't blame Keith for everything!

Of course not. Keith was master of the guitar back in 1982. He was great all through the 80s and although I dont care for what came next, he could deliever some great guitar work (not vocals though) from 1989 and onwards. SFTD they could have dropped alltogether.

Date: June 13, 2011 10:37

F.U.C. the Captain

Same song differnt phone.

Keith doesn't sound so out of time on this one.

Apologies for previous comments.

Date: June 13, 2011 11:23

We don't know the technical hiccups they deal with on those huge stadium layouts. the delay time is astronomic; the time the sound takes to travel in those big spaces. Add 25 songs @ night over a few years, with 50, 000 people there every night, and there are going to be f&ck-ups. I bet sitting back and not playing anything at times. is the best remedy to get back in.

Date: June 13, 2011 13:02

SwayStones
I don't see it as Keith shares the joke with Darryl & Jagger doesn't seem to joke either ,but well,may be it's just me .
I wasn't on the stage in Lyon,just a person of the crowd who attended that show ....

You dont see Keith stepping back onto the stage? You dont see Keith talking to Darryl? And most importantly, you dont see Keith turn around, laughing and grinning like a Cheshire cat?

What do you think is happening up there?

Date: June 13, 2011 13:09

GravityBoy
F.U.C. the Captain

Same song differnt phone.

Keith doesn't sound so out of time on this one.

Apologies for previous comments.

Precisely. I think it sounds out of time because the video is picking up the sound of the monitors on the B stage vs the sound coming from the main stage. Something like that anyway...someone with a better technical knowledge will be able to explain it better.

Date: June 13, 2011 13:24

Ah, so the b stage folds in at the sides so it can slip back in to the main stage?

The others are basically warning Keith that he's standing on the part that's about to fold in right?

Date: June 13, 2011 13:30

I thought it was another one of these.

It's not.

Date: June 13, 2011 13:43

His Majesty
The others are basically warning Keith that he's standing on the part that's about to fold in right?

Yeah, that's part of what's happening in Madrid as well.

Darryl is doing the same pointing, but he also looks a bit concerned about Keith.

He's completely lost it in intro and the solo.

That could be monitors verses PA in the solo though.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: June 13, 2011 15:46

"I think it sounds out of time because the video is picking up the sound of the monitors on the B stage vs the sound coming from the main stage. Something like that anyway..."

Bingo. Here's another one, at around 2:00 min. it gets "in sync":

Just an unlucky position for a sound to the people there, but on the other hand great position for to look at them... and if you're lucky to stand in front of Keith's speakers, you get this riffing, I could listen to it all day (same concert):

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-13 15:54 by Milan.

Date: June 13, 2011 15:52

Milan
"I think it sounds out of time because the video is picking up the sound of the monitors on the B stage vs the sound coming from the main stage. Something like that anyway..."

Bingo. Here's another one:

Check out MICK at 0.55... should be in the Mick's Mistakes thread.

Genuinely funny!!!

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: June 13, 2011 16:00

Yup! I've edited my post to include another clip from the same gig; I remember a poster here who said she handed (threw at) Keith at this concert bouquet of flowers and he took it, smiled and bowed; I think this is it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-13 16:01 by Milan.

Date: June 13, 2011 17:27

I think we can all forgive Keith for not having his mind totally on the job in 2007, if that was indeed the case...

"Despite Hansen's casual, self-deprecatory mien, she is actually quite nervous. I am here today to talk with her about something she has kept from the world and out of the press for the past few years: bladder cancer. At the end of the Rolling Stones' Bigger Bang tour in 2007, Hansen, now 54, who had been spotting for months, urinated blood. Within days, doctors discovered a mass. Within a month she was on chemo, and three months after that, she underwent complicated surgery. Because of the tumor's location, Hansen's bladder had to be removed, and her surgeons at New York's Memorial Sloan-Kettering reconstructed what is called a "neobladder" out of her intestine. They also removed her appendix and performed a full hysterectomy."

[shidoobeewithstonesdoug.yuku.com]

Date: June 14, 2011 02:21

Yeah well it wasnt about stages and feet. Keith was lost in a fog. He has a guitarist or two in the back covering and filling in. Ronnies role is to do some of the main riffs that used to be Keiths signature. On some songs. That's the deal. He is not trusted with the guitar. And that is just a shame. I believe he needs something new in his life. That includes a guitar.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 7 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1037
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home