Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 6 of 10
Re: Best Keith mistakes
Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: June 10, 2011 00:00

Bärs
No, it's E major and E minor all the way.

That's what I said!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 10, 2011 00:31

Mangle,is that the word? Always wondered why an English middleclass-boy had such pronounciation difficulties. You can't always git what you want! Sure!

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: June 10, 2011 00:44

Stoneage
Mangle,is that the word? Always wondered why an English middleclass-boy had such pronounciation difficulties. You can't always git what you want! Sure!

If I wanted to hear an English middleclass-boy sounding like an English middleclass-boy I'd listen to Cliff Richard instead of Mick Jagger...

OK, I actually like some of Cliff's stuff, but I generally prefer Mick's "mangling".

Date: June 10, 2011 00:58

Apparently Mick (when not mangling) has some sort of Chelsea (a London suburb) dialect. He sounds exactly like that "Naked Chef" cook, Jamie Oliver. The mangling bit is, I suppose, some sort of artificial English-American mix with a rockstar twist.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: June 10, 2011 07:40

DragonSky
Bärs

That's what I said!

No...

"That one from Miami Keith goes into E flat (or D sharp, depending on your preference), which is a different key."

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: June 10, 2011 09:56

Stoneage

Mangle.

This is what Mick does to words since he got bored singing it the way he used to.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: June 10, 2011 10:36

Stoneage
Apparently Mick [...] sounds exactly like that "Naked Chef" cook, Jamie Oliver.

Interesting that someone else has noticed the similarity.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 10, 2011 11:19

GravityBoy
Sleepy City
I have mixed opinions here. While the ultimate Jagger is the voice he had onstage up until circa 1971 (&, at a push, up until 1973); but I also much prefer his singing since 1989 (or 1988 if you include his solo tours) than what he was doing 1975 - 1982. Of course, there are some exceptions, with As Tears Go By on SAL being particularly notable.

How difficult would it be for him to sing "You" instead of "Yow" (sounding like a demented Brummie?)

It's horrible to my ears and he never used to do it.

He ruined his Grammy appearance by continually singing "I need Yow.. Yow.. Yow.."

That isn't the only word he mangles.

He never used to.

He started using a strange over emotive mangled diction in the 80's.

Lord knows why.

I stopped believing in him as a stage performer when he obviously took singing and dancing lessons and started striding back and forth over the over-large stage "pulling shapes" when all that corporate rock started.

Mick Jagger is a wonderful bunch of guys, I wish some of the early 70's ones would make an appearance.

I agree but I like his singing in 1975/1976, sure it didnt work on every song and actually 1975 is often a lot better. Songs like Hot Stuff and Hey Negrita were written and recorded with that voice so they were great in 1976. I do think the 1975/76 voices are very different from 1981. He was more "black" and funky in 76 and the sounds and rhythms are very different.

The dull energic non communicating gymnastic sterile voice of the 90s and before, that got worse over the years ending in the Allsång på Skansen yows heard on the Grammys is horrible. Well not always on newer songs, but too often. I understand why he has to do it. I just wish he'd find another voice for Tumblin Dice, JJF, BS, SFTD etc. A real voice, reinvent himself.

Date: June 10, 2011 11:22

This is a reinvented voice. Mick singing, not growling but neither the sterile anonymous boring shite.

Date: June 10, 2011 11:26

While this is the same old boring sterile thing. "...some kind of a faoooute (lower gym voice), the leedie (lady)..." etc and the Chuck on the clinkies. Yawn.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: June 10, 2011 11:31

jamesfdouglas
best one that I saw myself, Ottawa 2005. During Sympathy for the Devil, Keith decides to leave the stage for 3-4 minutes. Then Charlie leaves the stage. Thank goodness for their canned drums on that song!

Does anyone know why they left the stage?
I remember reading about but I can't remember reading why they left.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: June 10, 2011 11:43

Redhotcarpet

This is a reinvented voice. Mick singing, not growling but neither the sterile anonymous boring shite.

Yeah.. I like that.

He changed the melody but it's a classic Mick voice.

If he did this I wouldn't mind so much.

In fact I think this version is excellent.

Date: June 10, 2011 11:57

Redhotcarpet

While this is the same old boring sterile thing. "...some kind of a faoooute (lower gym voice), the leedie (lady)..." etc and the Chuck on the clinkies. Yawn.

Actually I don't mind this one too much either, this looks like a great gig.

Isn't Mick much better when he only has 3 sq ft of stage to work instead of a running striding all over a massive stage!!

He's doing all those small moves he used to do, pullin the elbows in, classic Mick.

Is this whole gig on the internet?

I can cope with this version of the Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-10 11:57 by GravityBoy.

Date: June 10, 2011 11:58

GravityBoy
Redhotcarpet

Yeah.. I like that.

He changed the melody but it's a classic Mick voice.

If he did this I wouldn't mind so much.

In fact I think this version is excellent.

Mick is probably the best thing about this version; otherwise I think it's terrible, really draggy (someone please give Charlie a copy the Got Live If You Want It album to remind him how he used to play!).

Date: June 10, 2011 11:59

GravityBoy
Is this whole gig on the internet?

It's certainly on bootleg DVD if you want to trade... winking smiley

Date: June 10, 2011 12:02

Sleepy City
Mick is probably the best thing about this version; otherwise I think it's terrible, really draggy (someone please give Charlie a copy the Got Live If You Want It album to remind him how he used to play!).

I don't mind rearrangements, so long as it's listenable. I think this is a good version.

It's when Mick get his mangle out I have the problem.

Date: June 10, 2011 12:09

Same gig.

Does this count as Keith cock up?

He loses it a few bars in.

Gets it back though.

Date: June 10, 2011 12:16

GravityBoy
Sleepy City

I don't mind rearrangements, so long as it's listenable. I think this is a good version.

It's when Mick get his mangle out I have the problem.

It seems that whenever they've attempted the 1964 - 1967 hits in recent years (since 1994) they've almost always sounded lethargic & uninspired. Think about it: Not Fade Away, It's All Over Now, The Last Time, Satisfaction (though that's one of the better ones), Get Off Of My Cloud, 19th Nervous Breakdown, Let's Spend The Night Together... The only exception was the version of Have You Seen Your Mother Baby from 1993 - & that was a Mick Jagger solo performance!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-10 12:16 by Sleepy City.

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: June 10, 2011 14:30

GravityBoy
Same gig.

Does this count as Keith cock up?

He loses it a few bars in.

Gets it back though.

Wow what a great guitar sound.

Date: June 10, 2011 15:07

Loudei
Wow what a great guitar sound.

It's great, that's small venues for you.

The band sound as shambolic as they ever did - Keith forgot the chords near the beginning, but it's working - I tell you what, I would take this gig any time over the over-blown stadium nonsense.

Date: June 10, 2011 15:37

Bärs
DragonSky
Bärs

That's what I said!

No...

"That one from Miami Keith goes into E flat (or D sharp, depending on your preference), which is a different key."

Oh, that. Well that is because he slipped out of key. It's not E minor, it's E flat/D sharp - listen to it again.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 11, 2011 20:16

DandelionPowderman
SwayStones
To me,Keith's worst F... Up occured in Lyon,June 2007.
OK,it wasn't a "playing mistake" but honestly , what occured at some 2 meters from me was hard enough to see.sad smiley

What did he do?

Actually,he did nothing ,andthat was the problem IMO.

I was" front row "on the left side of the stage.
Mick sang ,Ronnie played his guitar .
At one moment, Keith stopped playing,he just" sat on his ankles" i don't know if you understand what I am saying because I don't have the right translation .
He kneedled on his ankles, does it sound better ?

Anyway,he stayed like this for a long long while,with a cool smile on his face.
I was afraid he wouldn't be able to raise/stand up because it took so long .

I remember thinking "Now it's over /he's done "sad smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-11 23:41 by SwayStones.

Date: June 11, 2011 20:23

Is that Lyon, June 2007 show on youtube anywhere? Or what you're talking about? I've seen some other videos from that tour where Keith was just...I dunno, waaaaaaaaay out there...somewhere else.

Date: June 11, 2011 20:28

Sleepy City
It seems that whenever they've attempted the 1964 - 1967 hits in recent years (since 1994) they've almost always sounded lethargic & uninspired

I feel the same, SC! That is why you will learn to settle with the warhorses in the end. Their attempts to play anything else just lets you down nowadays! The warhorses, sure they are boring, but at least you know what you get... .

Date: June 11, 2011 23:04

Here Keith's mistake is obvious .At 0:25,Mick kicks Keith's ankle and even Darryl pointed his finger .

I told you Lyon 2007 was a great show .....grinning smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: June 11, 2011 23:17

SwayStones
Here Keith's mistake is obvious .At 0:25,Mick kicks Keith's ankle and even Darryl pointed his finger .

I told you Lyon 2007 was a great show .....grinning smiley

Keith's completely lost the plot here.

That's pretty sad.

Date: June 11, 2011 23:30

What is really happening there? Is keith wrong positioned on the stage? What does that pointing mean? Why does Mick kick Keith on the ankle? Is Keith drunk or is it the medication?

Date: June 11, 2011 23:38

Stoneage
What is really happening there? Is keith wrong positioned on the stage? What does that pointing mean? Why does Mick kick Keith on the ankle? Is Keith drunk or is it the medication?

Yes,GravityBoy,that was pretty sad.

Stoneage,I wasn't on stage with Keith but very close and I would say he wasn't drunk.IMO,he was "elsewhere "
Like I tried to explain on my above post to DandelionPowderman .

Posted by: ThankGod ()
Date: June 11, 2011 23:43

GravityBoy

That's pretty sad.

How has Keith "completely lost the plot here"?

What makes you think this is "pretty sad"?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 11, 2011 23:54

ThankGod
GravityBoy

That's pretty sad.

How has Keith "completely lost the plot here"?

Clever post.
The rest of the band was lost. That explains it all.. winking smiley

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 6 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1310
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home