Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 53
Re: Keith Richards guitar playing comments
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 15, 2017 04:10

2120Wolf
My Last Show - Vegas 10-22-16...First Row Mezz Side Stage...got in for $0.00.
They were @#$%& great...Keith Kicked Ass...Sounded great...So if your insight is from You Tube it is way off base...I disagree...Over 50 shows since 75'...It is amazing that there still here doing it...Get to a show...Get Close and Enjoy Keith !!!

My last show - Vegas 10-22-16...rear floor center...got in for $250 (bought on stubhub day of show original face value was $750+).
They were OK...Keith was OK...sounded OK...short setlist...Mick was still SICK...backup singers covered for him...again short setlist...over 50 shows since '81...yes it is AMAZING he is still here doing it...get to a show...get close and enjoy Keith but don't expect any miracles...he's 73 years old...enjoy whatever is left of the Rolling Stones while you can!!!

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 15, 2017 04:38

Hairball
DandelionPowderman
There's no truth, but I really liked this one.

[www.youtube.com]

Yeah nice, and of a higher quality video than I saw before (as are all posted on youtube by Daydream Visuals) - both the visuals and audio.
Yet Micks vocals still sound kind of weird...a bit nasally, maybe a bit forced, a bit exagerrated maybe. Might be tricky though to be subtle and mellow after the first six blasting tunes of that setlist - and directly after the two blues numbers wailing away on harp. At any rate, sounded nice overall and hope they give it another try at least one more time throughout this tour. thumbs up
I think people are trying way too hard to point out Mick's imperfections (and Charlie's as well) as a way to deflect from Keith and Ronnie.

No, Mick's voice isn't perfect. Yes, he flubs a line here and there. And yes, Charlie plays stiffer and slower than he used to, but these are things you'd expect from guys their age.

There's a large contingent of fans that celebrated Keith and Ronnie's partying ways even 5-10 years ago, and considered Mick to be a joyless taskmaster, with his Evian water, jogging and beansprouts.

Well, you know, just MAYBE if Keith and Ronnie hadn't abused themselves into near-oblivion as they were approaching 70, that half of the band might be a bit tighter and more functional.

I know it makes the Stones mythology less interesting if they'd all gone the Mick route in the '80s and cleaned up and got health-conscious, but it's not like Keith and Ronnie's decadence led to a lot of great music over the past 20 years (Mick probably composed most of their best music since '89), so what was the point from the fans' perspective, aside from living vicariously through them?

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: September 15, 2017 04:40

I saw the Stones for the first time in 2015. First show was Milwaukee- I was dragged there because my 17 year old daughter wanted to go.I moaned about the $$ and the fact they are old has-beens.......well, I WAS DEAD WRONG.

I was never a fan before ( I am in my forties) but I had one tape I played in the car for quite awhile years ago. And they have been the soundtrack to my life. I realize I took them for granted.

Second show was Indy, I dragged the whole family. I am not rich, but I felt the need to go because they are a treasure.

I watch the old videos and think MY GOD what I missed. I was floored when I saw them in Milwaukee, loved Crosseyed Heart and Blue and Lonesome.

I truly hope the band knows they are still relevant, revered and loved.

Date: September 15, 2017 05:00

keefriff99
Hairball
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

Yeah nice, and of a higher quality video than I saw before (as are all posted on youtube by Daydream Visuals) - both the visuals and audio.
Yet Micks vocals still sound kind of weird...a bit nasally, maybe a bit forced, a bit exagerrated maybe. Might be tricky though to be subtle and mellow after the first six blasting tunes of that setlist - and directly after the two blues numbers wailing away on harp. At any rate, sounded nice overall and hope they give it another try at least one more time throughout this tour. thumbs up
I think people are trying way too hard to point out Mick's imperfections (and Charlie's as well) as a way to deflect from Keith and Ronnie.

No, Mick's voice isn't perfect. Yes, he flubs a line here and there. And yes, Charlie plays stiffer and slower than he used to, but these are things you'd expect from guys their age.

There's a large contingent of fans that celebrated Keith and Ronnie's partying ways even 5-10 years ago, and considered Mick to be a joyless taskmaster, with his Evian water, jogging and beansprouts.

Well, you know, just MAYBE if Keith and Ronnie hadn't abused themselves into near-oblivion as they were approaching 70, that half of the band might be a bit tighter and more functional.

I know it makes the Stones mythology less interesting if they'd all gone the Mick route in the '80s and cleaned up and got health-conscious, but it's not like Keith and Ronnie's decadence led to a lot of great music over the past 20 years (Mick probably composed most of their best music since '89), so what was the point from the fans' perspective, aside from living vicariously through them?

Not sure if you're insinuating I'm guilty of the above (first part highlighted in bold), but if so I'm not and was simply making an observation. In fact, that was the first I've mentioned Mick's vocals and his performance in a less than stellar light during this new tour, and gave some reasonable explanations as to why it might sound that way. As for the second part I highlighted, totally agree with you. thumbs up

Date: September 15, 2017 05:05

Hairball
keefriff99
Hairball
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

Not sure if you're insinuating I'm guilty of the above (first part highlighted in bold), but if so I'm not and was simply making an observation. In fact, that was the first I've mentioned Mick's vocals and his performance in a less than stellar light during this new tour, and gave some reasonable explanations as to why it might sound that way. As for the second part I highlighted, totally agree with you. thumbs up
No, no, it just struck me that a lot of people have been saying that they've ALL lost a step, and of course they have, but some more than others, and it's not a coincidence that the half that's been generally sober for over 20 years is looking and playing much better.

Date: September 15, 2017 05:17

Yes indeed Mick looks great and is performing at a very high level considering his age- hats off to him!
Just imagine if he had gone the same route as Keith and Ronnie abusing himself into oblivion...not a pleasant thought.

Date: September 15, 2017 05:22

Hairball
Yes indeed Mick looks great and is performing at a very high level considering his age- hats off to him!
Just imagine if he had gone the same route as Keith and Ronnie abusing himself into oblivion...not a pleasant thought.
And believe me, before Keith's head injury, I used to think how badass it was for two 60-year old men to snort and drink their way through entire tours...I'm not immune to living vicariously through their wild antics, but at a certain point, real life intervened, and it became scary, and it just wasn't cool anymore.

Honestly now, I think Mick is the cool one. To look, move and sound the way he does at 73 blows my mind.

Date: September 15, 2017 05:23

And of course, as a fellow quiet, skinny guy, Charlie has always been the coolest to me. cool smiley

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 15, 2017 05:41

Doxa
stone4ever

Its disrespectful to Keith and his followers but most of all its disrespectful to the Rolling Stones.

Jeez, @#$%& hell you a are a hypocrite.

- Doxa

I tend to disagree. I would rather say that it is matter of double standards, even with glimpses of being aware of it during moments of realization of his idol's weaknesses. On the other hand, rather blind about it during moments of campaigning against Mick Jagger.

Date: September 15, 2017 05:55

keefriff99
Hairball
And believe me, before Keith's head injury, I used to think how badass it was for two 60-year old men to snort and drink their way through entire tours...I'm not immune to living vicariously through their wild antics, but at a certain point, real life intervened, and it became scary, and it just wasn't cool anymore.

Honestly now, I think Mick is the cool one. To look, move and sound the way he does at 73 blows my mind.

Having lived a somewhat rebellious partying lifestyle in my youth (high school- early college years/late '70's early '80's), I didn't have to live vicariously through them - I thought I was them! winking smiley But I was tame and innocent in comparison to their death wish lifestyle, and I grew out of it all just as quickly as I got in to it. Can't imagine doing anything near what they did throughout most of their adult lives and in to their 60's - and most everyone who tries to emulate them never make it out alive. It took some major health scares and reality for both of them to see the light (as you said), but if that's what it takes then hallelujah. As for Mick - I recall LIFE magazine article around or just prior to the '81 tour (I might still have it somewhere), and there were pics of him in a track suit jogging, and him talking about getting in to shape for the tour. I thought it was a bit nerdy at the time, but here he is today still alive and kicking, healthy as ever, and no doubt the leader of the pack in a live setting.

Posted by: HamburgerToGo ()
Date: September 15, 2017 07:40

Gettin' old ain't for sissies...

"Maybe I'm right
And you're wrong - it doesn't matter
In the course of our lifetimes
You'll surely start running away
We'll wait and see about that

But if you don't stay with me, baby
Well, if you don't stay with me, baby
I'll be right there in your mirror
When you get old
And we all get old

Time washes it in
And the high tide takes it out again
I've seen you trying to bail out
Trying to cast your stone
I seen you trying to flag that cab

But if you don't stay with me, darling
If you don't stay with me, baby
I'll be right there in your mirror
When you get old
And we all get old..."

- Ronnie Wood

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 15, 2017 09:55

Don't know why I'm bothering to comment at all ...

... but this thread is essentially five pages of folks stating the bleedin' obvious.

This band still provides a marvellous entertainment spectacle and the music they've created will be with us to love & enjoy forever..

..So what's the problem ? eye rolling smiley

Date: September 15, 2017 10:06

Spud

... but this thread is essentially five pages of folks stating the bleedin' obvious.

This band still provides a marvellous entertainment spectacle and the music they've created will be with us to love & enjoy forever..

The problem is that the people who can't/won't go to the shows feel obliged to tell the others who went how crappy the shows were.

Nothing new there...

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 15, 2017 11:17

Actually I dont think they're crappy, they are probably ok and I understand the excitement of seeing them live, maybe for the last time. That said, Keith has lost his chops. And that's sad because he used to be the best guitar player in the 70s and 80s and one of the best in the late 60s. Even if he pulls off the intros to the warhorses he doesnt really play the guitar like one would expect from a master like Keith during the actual song. Chuck seems to have taken over completely and maybe that's why the songs are slower and sound slower - the dynamics changed for the worse when Bill left and also now that Keith is absent.

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: September 15, 2017 13:12

Embarrass himself?
You folks gotta get a life....most of you
would shit your pants carrying his gear.

I saw a few zip code shows and they played Rambler and Bitch better
or as good as they did during the 50 and counting shows...Rambler in Detroit
was awe inspiring the way they mixed the blues tempo in with
the song they have performed 100's of times. Keith Richards input was
and is a very large percentage of that sound.

No delusions here...ive seen tons of bad concerts before other artists...and the 80 some Rolling Stones shows I've attended....never once have I been
disappointed.

I'm proud to say I m a fan...loved the blues album and will be happy to see the new studio album. Sad that I won't see them live again first hand..and I'd never attend a show without Keith on the stage.

Re: I am not Not negative just objective Keith can barely play guitar
Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: September 15, 2017 13:47

Hairball
"Arthritis or age or hitting his head".

A combination of all of the above.

It used to be his gnarled fingers caused worry amongst fans, then hitting his head was a major scare (which he still takes medication for), and now the fact that he's a ripe old 73+.
Put them all together, and it is what it is. I suggest enjoying whatever's left now, because none of the above will reverse themselves.

I attended my first Stones concert in the late 1960ies and still enjoy their concerts 'til today. But I'm so glad that I saw them in their prime (for me that was their their prime time) from the late sixties to the mid seventies. After that nothing ever came close to what they did back then.
Of course, just my 2 cts and not any kind of complaining about their later or today's shows.

Date: September 15, 2017 14:21

A lot of different opinions about the current Stones/ Keith here. I myself feel sorry for Keith, the @#$%& arthritis has hit hard.

For the critic section: Don't torture yourself by listening to it.
For the diehard fans/tourists: Enjoy the Stones as long as they are still around.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-15 14:28 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: September 15, 2017 14:29

-----

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-15 16:09 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 15, 2017 14:35

stone4ever
This thread was always going to put people into camps, personally i hope BV closes it before the fights break out.
Someone will have a few too many beers or glasses of wine and it will get ugly.
I feel already that if this thread was started in a negative way about Mick Jagger it would have already got ugly.

Its the law of averages that if a negative post like this hangs around for the next two months its going to upset people.
Its disrespectful to Keith and his followers but most of all its disrespectful to the Rolling Stones.

Its already been established that Keith has played this way on and off since 2012
Its also been established that Keith usually improves as the tour progresses.
Perhaps we should have this discussion towards the end of the tour.
Its a bit premature to bash him now imho.

You don't have to force everybody else on this forum into safe zones, just ignore this thread.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 15, 2017 14:49

tsk tsk tsk raging on Keith is NOT NICE . Why DOES EVERYBODY HAVE TO BE A negative Nancy? Why not support the TEAM .Cmon everybody jump on the bandwagon and support the Stones and buy tickets to see them while they are still alive and with us .Life is short ,Tuesday right before my very eyes a little after 7:30 am a coworker collapsed and died at his desk . Life is short ,go out and have some fun instead of bitching about everything that means nothing in the big picture of LIFE .

Date: September 15, 2017 14:55

Sorry to hear that, Greek!

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 15, 2017 15:42

dude's lost a step - either you still want to listen or you don't. If I get a chance, I'll still go, and I'm excited for a new record, even though it won't be Sticky Fingers.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 15, 2017 16:36

DandelionPowderman
Sorry to hear that, Greek!
Thank you DP, I should also add he was a really good guitarist that taught me a few licks over the years .

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: September 15, 2017 17:28

corriecas
Keefs current guitar solos are like drips from Heaven.although some depressed people dont think so.
Jeroen
Guess im gonna go to jail for this remark

Hey! I remember you. You're the guy who told me I was "wishing" the band would be touring Europe, remember this?

Re: The Rolling Stones EUROPEAN tour 2016/2017
Date: June 10, 2016 08:14

corriecas
roller99
The Stones will be touring Europe. There's nothing to fact check, just remember you heard it here first.

Based on what???
Your wish?? well, its my wish too, for that matter.
Jeroen

Oh yeah, all the Stones news I post is based on my wishes. I just sit around and conjure up club gigs, tours, and unicorns. Go back a few years and read my posts.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: September 15, 2017 17:40

DandelionPowderman
Spud

The problem is that the people who can't/won't go to the shows feel obliged to tell the others who went how crappy the shows were.

Nothing new there...
A PERFECT SUMMARY OF THIS THREAD.

Re: I am not Not negative just objective Keith can barely play guitar
Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: September 15, 2017 17:46

corriecas
You are entitled to your opinion.but i think there has been to much unfair hatred and Keef bashing the last few days.true he is not as good as in 1972 but then neither are we.the stones are getting old but so are we.we cant have sex like we did in 1972 can we.stones music is like sex to me.its rock n roll still divine and glorious and rough and it gives us happiness.the stones still give us these things and i am grateful for that.i think people have to show respect to Keef and be happy he is still with the stones snd with us.
Maybe he loses a bit of his touch but most times he rocks like hell.we all lose our touch cause we get old.
I will see the stones 3 more times this year and am happy Keef will rock us.please be fair and not put hate in your hearts.its only rock n roll and the stones music builds on roughness not on perfection.
Jeroen
thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: September 15, 2017 17:59

DandelionPowderman
Spud

Nothing new there...

Incorrect.
This whole rubbish about Keith would be over if his disciples would all agree he is not "on fire" anymore etc..
If those, including yourself, accept KR is now incapable of holding a half decent tune then we all shake hands and walk away. Can we all do that?
As it stands its the people with ear wax versus the others....

Date: September 15, 2017 18:32

Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman
Spud

Nothing new there...

Incorrect.
This whole rubbish about Keith would be over if his disciples would all agree he is not "on fire" anymore etc..
If those, including yourself, accept KR is now incapable of holding a half decent tune then we all shake hands and walk away. Can we all do that?
As it stands its the people with ear wax versus the others....

I normally don't respond to b.s. comments like this, because making blanket statements like "incorrect" or "can we all", as though you represent anyone here except yourself is just infantile.

I'm not a Keith disciple, honestly I don't think he's ever been "on fire". I wouldn't even put Keith in a list of top 10 guitarists.

I do however think he's capable of "holding a half decent tune". I think he is great with an acoustic guitar.

Keith entertains me, I think the man is great simply for the fact that he's in his 70's and still brings a smile to my face.

I don't have "ear wax" blocking my listening abilities. I think you're just a negative little person. I think you should just walk away. Disciples? Your's is one of the most ridiculous comments I've read.

You're either entertained, or your not. You should walk away.

Lesson over!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 15, 2017 18:36

It's thread like this that make me think of IORR, "Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Posted by: mistervinyl ()
Date: September 15, 2017 18:40

Anyway what a silly idea to tour Northern Europe in mid september as automn comes three weeks in advance this year !
They usually tour Europe in june / july...
Gonna be cold in Paris & Keith is gonna play with arthritis AND gloves... >grinning smiley<

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1933
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home