Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 53
Re: Keith Richards guitar playing comments
Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: September 15, 2017 18:41

mistervinyl
Anyway what a silly idea to tour Northern Europe in mid september as automn comes three weeks in advance this year !
They usually tour Europe in june / july...
Gonna be cold in Paris & Keith is gonna play with arthritis AND gloves... >grinning smiley<

The Paris gigs are inside Einstein....

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 15, 2017 18:49

mistervinyl
Anyway what a silly idea to tour Northern Europe in mid september as automn comes three weeks in advance this year !
They usually tour Europe in june / july...
Gonna be cold in Paris & Keith is gonna play with arthritis AND gloves... >grinning smiley<

they were gonna tour summer but Ronnie had cancer

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 15, 2017 19:21

straycatuk
DandelionPowderman
Spud
Don't know why I'm bothering to comment at all ...

... but this thread is essentially five pages of folks stating the bleedin' obvious.

This band still provides a marvellous entertainment spectacle and the music they've created will be with us to love & enjoy forever..

..So what's the problem ? eye rolling smiley

The problem is that the people who can't/won't go to the shows feel obliged to tell the others who went how crappy the shows were.

Nothing new there...
A PERFECT SUMMARY OF THIS THREAD.

Yet there are also those who went to both shows that have expressed their feelings of the performances they witnessed that might not always be as glowing as others (see Dean Goodman's honest reviews as one example).

Hamburg

Munich

Just opinions, but all are valid and should be appreciated for what they are - personal opinions. Some might disagree with another opinion, but that doesn't make it wrong - it's all in the eye of the beholder. Some might think Keith is "better than ever"...hmmm...ok...while others think he's a shadow of his former self. And imo one doesn't have to actually be at the show to form an opinion on the actual performance level one way or the other (though it's helpful) - some of the videos are as clear as day with absolute great sound.

By the way, there are great pics of the shows on each of those pages linked above, along with a variety of reviews from those in attendance - from stellar to mediocre at best.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: September 15, 2017 19:45

Hairball
straycatuk
DandelionPowderman
Spud

... but this thread is essentially five pages of folks stating the bleedin' obvious.

This band still provides a marvellous entertainment spectacle and the music they've created will be with us to love & enjoy forever..

The problem is that the people who can't/won't go to the shows feel obliged to tell the others who went how crappy the shows were.

Nothing new there...

Yet there are also those who went to both shows that have expressed their feelings of the performances they witnessed that might not always be as glowing as others (see Dean Goodman's honest reviews as one example).

Hamburg

Munich

Just opinions, but all are valid and should be appreciated for what they are - personal opinions. Some might disagree with another opinion, but that doesn't make it wrong - it's all in the eye of the beholder. Some might think Keith is "better than ever"...hmmm...ok...while others think he's a shadow of his former self. And imo one doesn't have to actually be at the show to form an opinion on the actual performance level one way or the other (though it's helpful) - some of the videos are as clear as day with absolute great sound.

By the way, there are great pics of the shows on each of those pages linked above, along with a variety of reviews from those in attendance - from stellar to mediocre at best.

Hairball, say it ain't so. You seriously cannot compare a youtube video playing through a computer speaker or headphones to a live gig where they are pumping out thousands of watts of guitar, and you can feel the whole joint vibrate when Charlie kicks the bass drum. We were both at Roger Waters' show. Do you think watching that on Youtube would be a good replacement for having been there?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-15 19:46 by roller99.

Date: September 15, 2017 20:02

roller99
Hairball
straycatuk
DandelionPowderman
Spud

Nothing new there...

Hamburg

Munich

Hairball, say it ain't so. You seriously cannot compare a youtube video playing through a computer speaker or headphones to a live gig where they are pumping out thousands of watts of guitar, and you can feel the whole joint vibrate when Charlie kicks the bass drum. We were both at Roger Waters' show. Do you think watching that on Youtube would be a good replacement for having been there?

I did say it helps to be there to make a well rounded opinion, but I was referring specifically to individual performance/skill level - not the thrill of being their in person blasted by thousands of watts of guitar or feeling the vibrations from Charlie's drums. Some of these videos of the current tour are of a very high quality both visually and sound wise, and in some cases it might be easier to form an opinion based on those vs. being in the nosebleeds or a mile away from the stage or surrounded by a bunch of loud drunk people - again speaking about performance/skill level, not the thrill of being in attendance. As for me personally, I saw three Stones shows less than a year ago and the memories are still fresh and vivid. Based on that, along with watching and listening to what I'm seeing on these high quality videos, I'd say I could form a valid opinion of performance/skill level of these current shows.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 15, 2017 20:10

It's hilarious that people are still trying to blame smartphone videos, as if the technology is capable of magically inserting wrong chords or bum notes into the audio stream.

If anything, high-quality videos are more accurate than reports from people who were there and caught up in the moment. Many times, I've been at shows and been completely overwhelmed by the spectacle, only to go home and watch videos that people uploaded and think, "How did I miss THAT mistake??"

Well, it's because I was swept up in the magic of live music and wasn't trying to critique the performances.

And that's great...but don't claim that audience recordings are somehow skewing the performances. Smartphone technology is incredibly advanced now. What you hear is what ACTUALLY occurred, not what you perceived when you were in the crowd.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 15, 2017 20:28

Date: September 15, 2017 20:31

video: [www.youtube.com]

I guess Keith is finally really old and tired.

Date: September 15, 2017 20:34

Redhotcarpet
video: [www.youtube.com]sad smiley
I don't know...there were a few rough patches at the beginning, but also some real nice weaving moments. Not a train wreck by any stretch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-15 20:38 by keefriff99.

Date: September 15, 2017 20:35

Starting with SFTD is like good news bad news.

Its a great opener.

But is also gives Keith a solo right out of the gate.

And his SFTD solo has not been very good in years.

In most cases its actually awful.

So now instead of getting several songs in and getting into the music.

You get that guitar solo that is way way way off key at the very start.

So it seems to stand out more.

Just what I think BWTFDIK

Date: September 15, 2017 20:36

keefriff99
It's hilarious that people are still trying to blame smartphone videos, as if the technology is capable of magically inserting wrong chords or bum notes into the audio stream.

If anything, high-quality videos are more accurate than reports from people who were there and caught up in the moment. Many times, I've been at shows and been completely overwhelmed by the spectacle, only to go home and watch videos that people uploaded and think, "How did I miss THAT mistake??"

Well, it's because I was swept up in the magic of live music and wasn't trying to critique the performances.

And that's great...but don't claim that audience recordings are somehow skewing the performances. Smartphone technology is incredibly advanced now. What you hear is what ACTUALLY occurred, not what you perceived when you were in the crowd.

I've also had experiences of being positively overhwelmed at shows surrounded by like-minded people, and then seeing/hearing the results later and thinking I must have been higher than shit to think the actual performance was great. In some cases I've been to "great" shows and thought I experienced a "great" performances ( so I thought) that were professionally filmed,recorded, and even overdubbed to make them better, etc., and the results are quite inferior to what I experienced while being in the thrill and the thick of it. The Live Licks album and Four Flicks video compilations would be an example. I was at the London Twickenham, 2003 show which was sensory overload and exciting as ever to be amongs the masses, but watching/listening to the documentation of it leaves a lot to be desired. Glad I was there and thoroughly enjoyed myself in the moment, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who would like to hear/see a great Stones performance. Live Licks album review

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-15 20:45 by Hairball.

Date: September 15, 2017 20:37

Redhotcarpet

I guess Keith is finally really old and tired.
Now see, I find the rockers to be the hardest to listen to. The energy is simply dead on Brown Sugar, Start Me Up, Satisfaction, even JJF.

The ballads, blues and acoustic numbers are where the band are still capable of magic, but the high-energy, barn-burning rockers are nearly unlistenable. They pick it up towards the ends generally but the openings are really rough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-15 20:40 by keefriff99.

Date: September 15, 2017 20:42

keefriff99
Redhotcarpet
I don't know...there were a few rough patches at the beginning, but also some real nice weaving moments. Not a train wreck by any stretch.

True they eventually get into a groove, but that intro is.................very sad. sad smiley
In fact, it's so bad it almost seems like a spoof with someone overdubbing a cacaphony of non-related guitar noises.
Bless Keith, at least he's still trying. thumbs up

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: September 15, 2017 20:49

Gigs are not designed or performed to be most effective on a video with compressed sound. Even in the cases of the best days of the Stones, they overdubbed their live albums. This is in part because what makes an album sound good is different than a live gig. None of this is to “defend” anyone’s playing. But it is to say that they are not up ther considering “how will this look and sound on someone’s computer.” They are hearing all those watts!

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 15, 2017 21:03

Hairball
keefriff99
Redhotcarpet

True they eventually get into a groove, but that intro is.................very sad. sad smiley
In fact, it's so bad it almost seems like a spoof with someone overdubbing a cacaphony of non-related guitar noises.

It was "Brown Sugar," right?

Date: September 15, 2017 21:17

LongBeachArena72
Hairball
keefriff99
Redhotcarpet

It was "Brown Sugar," right?

Lol

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: September 15, 2017 21:35

OK, so I watched a lot of videos of the Stones No Filter performances on Youtube and I think Keith did a good job.

He seemed in pretty good form to me. I'm a guitar player for over 50 years and I've followed him the whole time and I think he is doing a good job so far. No need to bury him in the mix or anything like that.

I was never a great fan of his lead playing and it seems to me he has been playing leads like this for almost 20 years. His rhythm and riffs still sound great to me.

He's far from being put out to pasture yet!

PS - Mick's voice sounds great! Excellent on Play With Fire too, nice and deep and resonant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-15 21:37 by beachbreak.

Date: September 15, 2017 22:40

TeddyB1018
Gigs are not designed or performed to be most effective on a video with compressed sound. Even in the cases of the best days of the Stones, they overdubbed their live albums. This is in part because what makes an album sound good is different than a live gig. None of this is to “defend” anyone’s playing. But it is to say that they are not up ther considering “how will this look and sound on someone’s computer.” They are hearing all those watts!

Still, if i listen to a 45 year old lousy sounding boot I hear the greatness through the hiss and the scratches.

I bet someone will tell me they are older now and that Im jealous or full of hatred. smiling smiley

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: September 15, 2017 23:12

I can't wait until the boys play the states. I will be there. However, Keith is slipping folks. No doubt.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: September 15, 2017 23:12

“It's hilarious that people are still trying to blame smartphone videos, as if the technology is capable of magically inserting wrong chords or bum notes into the audio stream.If anything, high-quality videos are more accurate than reports from people who were there and caught up in the moment. Many times, I've been at shows and been completely overwhelmed by the spectacle, only to go home and watch videos that people uploaded and think, "How did I miss THAT mistake??"Well, it's because I was swept up in the magic of live music and wasn't trying to critique the performances.And that's great...but don't claim that audience recordings are somehow skewing the performances. Smartphone technology is incredibly advanced now. What you hear is what ACTUALLY occurred, not what you perceived when you were in the crowd”.

I can’t agree with your final conclusion, Keefriff99. Of course, as you say, technology is not capable “of magically inserting wrong chords or bum notes into the audio stream”. Yes, smartphone videos cannot add up something non existent. But they can easily detach existent elements of the gig, which many times have to do with how the real sound is, how tight the band is or not. With some “details” which, finally, are not details… Real sound is like mosaic. If you miss some tiles, you get a partly wrong impression. Our ears, being THERE, are much more credible witnesses.

Smartphone videos maybe can show a mistake you did miss at the show. You 're right on that. But, at the same time, they can distort serious parts of the real sound. Believe me, in the past I have attended different smartphone videos from the same gig and I thought there were two different gigs…

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 15, 2017 23:15

Hey,
'Beast of Burden' is my top song I have heard it a thousand RS ways
so many times it makes you wonder.
I loved that they did 'BOB'
WTF cares about the start the gorgeous one of a kind guitar licks riffs
were there-----------
I'm living in right now.
Right now I'm alive and present.

Date: September 15, 2017 23:35

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: September 15, 2017 23:38

Hey, Librarian... You remind me of my wife. She was not into the Stones, but became a fan after having seen them live, in 2006. She was 40 then.

Now, another member of the family does prepare for his first Stones concert. My 8 years son. He admires a Stones track named, by him, "gas". You know, the rest of the planet calls the particular song "Jumping Jack flash"...

Date: September 15, 2017 23:38

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 15, 2017 23:59

Redhotcarpet

Amazin'!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 16, 2017 00:14

LongBeachArena72
Redhotcarpet

Amazin'!

That was (didn't watch all, enough to marvel)
'self-taught' is heard often w/ the 'gifted'
relentless passion to master/ time spent

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 16, 2017 09:01

eye popping smiley thumbs up
LongBeachArena72
Redhotcarpet

Amazin'!

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 16, 2017 10:05

Well, Bob Wood obviously didn't do heroin in the 1970s, and no doubt never had a coke-fueled moment where he fell off a shrub in the tropics so that he had to be trepanned in the 2000s...

...but he obviously doesn't own 5 houses around the world, so if Keith had the choice he'd just go on as he has, finger dexterity in old age be damned.

And that chick, "Cookie", is rather nice, but I bet Keith wouldn't trade Patti Hansen for all the "Cookies" in the world.

No, for better or worse, Keith likes where he is...

...despite the fact that Pete Townshend is still a monster on the guitar. Can still be the driving force of a 10-piece stage set-up recreation of his band.

It really has nothing to do with age... in Keith's case, it's the image that defines him... and I think he believes it... the image, that is, of that indestructible pirate... otherwise he wouldn't dress like he still does.

Strange to think, Keith used to be the lead guitarist way back when, on those albums I still admire and listen to regularly... Newest Hitmakers, 12X5, Now!, etc. No one had to carry him then... in those days there was no question of any "weak link" and so on, the sound, the music, did all the talking...

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: September 16, 2017 11:28

Hairball
I've also had experiences of being positively overhwelmed at shows surrounded by like-minded people, and then seeing/hearing the results later and thinking I must have been higher than shit to think the actual performance was great.

Happened to me at the Greek Theatre the other day when Midnight Oil played. Phenomenal stuff. I must record this momentous performance. Watch it at home: unwatchable. Additionally with the Stones, the sound mix is blown all over the map. For example, Chuck's "Honky Tonk Women" solo was inaudible to me in the stands at Munich. But I'm sure people on the floor and elsewhere got it.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: September 16, 2017 12:13

The members of the Buena Vista Social Club were even older, but they were able to play their instruments accurately and ingeniously. The decline of Keith is only pitiful ... Sorry, I've always been a great fan of the band, but meanwhile they are only a caricature of their own. I'm not satisfied with occasional charming passages, if the rest of a song is a mess. The journey should come to a halfway worthy end ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-16 12:14 by RobertJohnson.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2008
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home