Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829...LastNext
Current Page: 24 of 61
Re: Mick Jagger "Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost"
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 28, 2017 19:46

stone4ever
Doxa
stone4ever
Doxa, you should win an award for being the most predictable poster in the history of iorr. I take my hat off to you. Congratulations man, you make average sound indispensable, its a rare gift you have.

Oh not anyone can be so non-predictable as you are, riffie. I am sure everybody here is stunned how 'never heard that before' your latest contributions in this thread are...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Well lol i did say initially that i liked GGAG but just about everything i have said since makes me easily the second most predictable poster on iorr eye rolling smiley
Ok you will all be very relieved to know that i'm off to leave all you good people alone to enjoy your thread, tel r for a bits chums. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

No reason to go. This is not a celebrational Keith Richards solo album thread in which 'party spoilers' are not welcomed. Here criticism and differing opinions are allowed.winking smiley

- Doxa

Re: "Mick Jagger" video shoot in London - "Gotta Get a Grip"?
Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 28, 2017 19:56

NeddieFlanders
maumau
no words on who's playing on them?

My guess: all instruments by MJ and Matt Clifford.

N

That says it all.
The Stones were great because they got in a room together and wrote songs together, and got input from great session musicians and brought in outside musicians to add color.
Now it's Mick and his personal, paid session man playing around with a groove and assorted production tricks. I'm sure it's more enjoyable for Mick. You get old and who wants to hang out in a studio for hours on end waiting for Keith to catch lightning, and if Chuck makes a suggestion you have to give him a writing credit, and all the hot musicians are doing their own thing anyway.
The one-man in the studio thing with a great producer works for some artists, but the Stones were a band.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: July 28, 2017 20:08

wonderboy
NeddieFlanders
maumau
no words on who's playing on them?

My guess: all instruments by MJ and Matt Clifford.

N

That says it all.
The Stones were great because they got in a room together and wrote songs together, and got input from great session musicians and brought in outside musicians to add color.
Now it's Mick and his personal, paid session man playing around with a groove and assorted production tricks. I'm sure it's more enjoyable for Mick. You get old and who wants to hang out in a studio for hours on end waiting for Keith to catch lightning, and if Chuck makes a suggestion you have to give him a writing credit, and all the hot musicians are doing their own thing anyway.
The one-man in the studio thing with a great producer works for some artists, but the Stones were a band.

That says it all...about WHAT?!

This is a MICK JAGGER solo release.
Two new songs.
He could have played every single instrument himself for all we know.
Sure sounds like him on harmonica and guitars to me.

This isn't a Rolling Stones release.
Just enjoy it.
Or not.
@#$%& hell people.

But don't compare it to Keith or the Stones or an antiquated fantasy of working together in the basement of a @#$%& mansion under the influence of god-knows what.

When (?) the new Rolling Stones album comes out, then we dissect the crap out of it. Until then, Get a Grip.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 28, 2017 20:19

Kurt

But don't compare it to Keith or the Stones or an antiquated fantasy of working together in the basement of a @#$%& mansion under the influence of god-knows what.

They had a formula that worked. It wasn't a fantasy -- it was a working band that produced great music. I'd even say it created magic.
This formula doesn't work. The result is just product.
I know the Stones as a creative force ended years ago. Probably better for me to just talk about those days and now what they're doing now.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: July 28, 2017 20:28

wonderboy
Kurt

They had a formula that worked. It wasn't a fantasy -- it was a working band that produced great music. I'd even say it created magic.
This formula doesn't work. The result is just product.
I know the Stones as a creative force ended years ago. Probably better for me to just talk about those days and now what they're doing now.

Believe me, I'm hoping beyond hope that The Rolling Stones can come together in the studio for one last gasp of musical brilliance.

But until then, I'll enjoy these couple of Mick tunes without over-analyzing the current state of the Glimmers' working relationship.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: July 28, 2017 20:42

Absolutely love the lyrics, as an eu citizen living in Brexitland they ring very truesmoking smiley

Date: July 28, 2017 20:51

desertblues68
Absolutely love the lyrics, as an eu citizen living in Brexitland they ring very truesmoking smiley

Interestingly, Jagger said that he wanted to relaese the songs as they still are current - and not to wait for the next year (probably in a Rollng Stones album) as they might be passe then... But at the same time he says that he is not a 'political optimist', and I guess the things aren't getting much better very soon (in England or anywhere) if at all, so I guess the feelings those songs share might not be dated next year either...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-28 20:52 by Doxa.

Posted by: terry ()
Date: July 28, 2017 20:52

I'm enjoying the two new tracks from mick.
And I'm also looking forward to a new Stones album, whenever that might be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-28 20:57 by terry.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 28, 2017 21:05

Doxa
stone4ever
Doxa, you should win an award for being the most predictable poster in the history of iorr. I take my hat off to you. Congratulations man, you make average sound indispensable, its a rare gift you have.

Oh not anyone can be so non-predictable as you are, riffie. I am sure everybody here is stunned how 'never heard that before' your latest contributions in this thread are...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Excellent observation, Doxa... "I look into the mirror and what I see is you..." - and stone4ever doesn't even notice it!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 28, 2017 21:13

Rocky Dijon
Not crazy about either of them. Dislike production that sounds like a transistor radio was played full blast through a PA system. Still, it could be worse...it could be "Charmed Life" or "One Day, One Night" or "I Can't Take It No More."

I'm not so certain these were rejects of the Stones sessions so much as testing the water for the weird experimental tracks on the new Stones album. If these go over well, the next Stones single is likely to be not too far afield.

I also don't put too much into what Mick chooses to share about the Stones sessions. He and Keith have made a concentrated effort of late to send the message that it's early days yet so the pressure of where's the new album goes away and instead becomes there will be an album next year since they're going to be working on it. A nice way of saving face and defusing media and internet speculation about something going wrong in the studio or poor reactions from Don Was, the label, or the rest of the band.

Not sure what you mean by "weird experimental" as these come across more as generic and somewhat bland - nice to listen a few times but nothing more to absorb and digest really.
In the past, there have been far more weird experimental tunes on Stones albums - these are about as off the wall and cutting edge as Anybody Seen My Baby w/the rapping which might have been considered "weird experimental" 20 years ago, but now seem like Mick is taking the safe route. Just like Hot Stuff might have been seen as "weird experimental" 40 years ago. Have to admit I was expecting something more contemporary and cutting edge from Mick with all sorts of new bells and whistles, but they come across as familiar dirges that could have been outtakes/leftovers from any of his solo albums and/or ABB, Bridges, or even Voodoo. The only thing that makes them contemporary are the lyrics, and as someone else mentioned they leave alot to be desired - not so much the content itself but the rhyming simplistic format. Anyhow, not much to latch on to here, and it's a good thing Mick is getting some of these ideas out of his system.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 28, 2017 21:16

stone4ever
retired_dog
Both songs muuuch better than I expected, Micks voice finally recovered again (after all this awful Watching The River Flow/Following The River/Superheavy/Exile Bonus nasality). Great grooves, Micks harmonica on both tracks, even some stonesy guitar riffs on GGAG. Well done, Mick!

Of course there's some predictable flak from the usual suspects, what's their name, the "Keithettes", but, hey, it had to happen, "Mick solo can't be any good" shall be the whole of the law, so what?

What on earth are you talking about !! ''stonesy guitar riffs'' ??

BTW just because people don't like it doesn't necessarily make them Keithettes
Sure i am a Keithette lol but plenty of people on here that don't rate these two tracks are Mick fans also, STONES FANS, remember ??
Are we allowed to be Stones fan's who can criticize Mick or Keith if we don't like what they do. Why do we always have to be labelled because we are not overly impressed.

Answer 1: I wrote "stonesy", not "recycled" (like on OMS)

Answer 2: This "Mick solo can't be any good shall be the whole of the law"-thing is not an opinion, it is a religion.

Date: July 28, 2017 21:21

retired_dog
Doxa
stone4ever

- Doxa

Excellent observation, Doxa... "I look into the mirror and what I see is you..." - and stone4ever doesn't even notice it!

The old habits die hard... But I give to Riffie an extra credit for sometimes re-thinking some of his old stances - namely that's for example he sometimes did in that Jagger solo works thread, though the usual 'whatever Jagger does sucks' -mantra shows its ugly face more often... But that's cool, too. Besides he is about the only 'Keithette' who proudly admits being one and sees the humorous side of the title... an of whatever we talk here...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-28 21:26 by Doxa.

Posted by: Stones726 ()
Date: July 28, 2017 21:32

duke richardson
not sure about either of these two..

but 'England Lost' is a cousin of 'Rain Fall Down', imo...

totally sounded like "Rain Fall Down"

Date: July 28, 2017 21:36

Palace Revolution 2000
Can't really see a difference between the two cuts. I;m glad Mick put out couple of new tracks, but they are pretty lame. I wonder - who really does he see them appealing to? Young people? Old Stones fans?

Based on what my 22 year old niece just said, can't see young people getting into these - not sure they want to hear an old man preaching and shouting politics at them.
As for old Stones fans liking them ...evidently the new tunes speak to a certain element, but that particular group seemingly finds joy and something positive in anything Stones related.
Would be interesting to read an honest critique from someone not obsessed with the Stones, and maybe someone younger who is more familiar with what is hip to the younger generation.

Date: July 28, 2017 21:50

Hairball

As for old Stones fans liking them ...evidently the new tunes speak to a certain element, but that particular group seemingly finds joy and something positive in anything Stones related.

A bit arrogant comment... Since I like the two new Jagger tunes I seemingly belong to that group of people who "seemingly finds joy and something positive in anything Stones related". I guess to those more sophisticated observers we uncritical Stones fans seem a bit stupid and unable to more deeper musical understanding... But great that there are people like you telling us that, and probably showing some wisdom for idiots like us.

- Doxa

Posted by: kitoise ()
Date: July 28, 2017 21:59

Is it possible please to post, via wetransfer, the Mick's phone-interview by Zana love?
Thanks in advance!

Date: July 28, 2017 22:05

Doxa
Hairball

A bit arrogant comment... Since I like the two new Jagger tunes I seemingly belong to that group of people who "seemingly finds joy and something positive in anything Stones related". I guess to those more sophisticated observers we uncritical Stones fans seem a bit stupid and unable to more deeper musical understanding... But great that there are people like you telling us that, and probably showing some wisdom for idiots like us.

- Doxa

I should have said 'generally speaking' and didn't intend to sound arrogant. Obviously you are not in the category of finding joy and something positive in anything Stones related as your dismissal of Crosseyed Heart makes clear, so don't know why you would even take issue with or take the time to reply to that comment, but glad you like the new tunes.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: July 28, 2017 22:11

Doxa
retired_dog
Doxa
stone4ever

- Doxa

The old habits die hard... But I give to Riffie an extra credit for sometimes re-thinking some of his old stances - namely that's for example he sometimes did in that Jagger solo works thread, though the usual 'whatever Jagger does sucks' -mantra shows its ugly face more often... But that's cool, too. Besides he is about the only 'Keithette' who proudly admits being one and sees the humorous side of the title... an of whatever we talk here...grinning smiley

- Doxa

That's very true Doxa, i went into that Mick solo thread thinking i hate Mick Jagger's solo albums and i came out really enjoying some of them.
At the time of their release i didn't give them a chance with my biased attitude, but second time around i realized after listening to them again a few times i actually preferred them to the last two Stones albums, for sure.
Now i have Wondering Spirit and Primitive Cool in my car CD Stacker and its great.
My only problem with that realization now is that this material would have improved a few Stones albums, or even better, gave us more Stones albums.
I honestly look forward to the next Mick solo album, but i hope it will be different to these last two releases.

Re: Gotta Get a Grip is out right now!
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: July 28, 2017 22:11

hopkins
Gotta Get A Grip is out right Now! It would really be truly historic if we could get them to "UNRELEASE" it somehow...like take it back??
...I'm not sure how that would work. I mean it's already streaming right? hmmmm, wait a sec, let me think this through....

... .. ..... .. .

well they can 'disavow' it...say...well, it wasn't ready and get the label to sput a clamp on the stream? Can they do that technically? Where's Schillid?

I mean if people already have it then...well they could...I guess they could just stream it off or mail it off so...

ohman...
this isn't looking good.

-Couldn`t they just dislease it? At least that what they said they thought about The Doors "Soft Parade" album as I couldn`t find it in a London shop back in `75. Ah, I thought this thread was for diehards only, but everyone seems to be here. I don`t like the grooves, and I`ve finally learned that "Rain fall down" ain`t a good Stones song.

Date: July 28, 2017 22:19

SomeTorontoGirl
Blue and Lonesome is a hard act to follow. But glad Mick is keeping busy.

Almost makes me yearn for the days of hearing average blues covers, but instead I'll stay hopeful for a new album of Stones originals.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: July 28, 2017 22:20

England Lost .......just heard a bit of it. Reminds me of Rain Fell Down, and not in a good sense I hasten to add.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 28, 2017 22:23

Heavy Funk just like R.L.Burnside played back in the 90s... nice groove, some good guitar moments, Mick´s voice sounding pretty good... but these are not really songs, just groove... With stuff like that no wonder they "they hit the wall". After two times of listening you see it´s basically nothing... nearly nothing. To be honest both songs sound just the same to yours truly. To be even more honest, both songs are not far from being crap. How can fans be so easily satisfied... don´t let them get away with anything... Put it on the next re-release of Superheavy so hopefully most people will never ever hear these songs. Sorry for not being all smiles, but in fact there´s not much reason for being delighted. This stuff doesn´t even serve as a b-side.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 28, 2017 22:41

I like the songs. Musically I prefer Gotta get a Grip, but maybe it needs a few more spins.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 28, 2017 22:43

Welcome back HMS.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 28, 2017 22:44

To my ears, the cousin of "Rain Fall Down" is "Hide Away" on GITD, not either of these two tracks. I also like "Rain Fall Down" and "Hide Away" a great deal.

Mick's two new trackse remind me more of "Aggravation" and "New World" by The Kinks, two interrelated socio-political numbers performed as a single piece in concert, but the studio versions were released two years apart (1989 on UK JIVE and 1991 on DID YA, respectively). Ray Davies likewise seemed to be ranting over noise at times. It will shock no one that I think Ray acquitted himself better.

This isn't a matter of me preferring Keith solo to Mick. Mick solo can be the equal of the Stones (from the same era) whereas Keith solo can equal or better Keith's lead vocals with the Stones. There's a huge difference in commercial appeal (and arguably artistic integrity) between Mick and Keith in the last 30 years or so.

Date: July 28, 2017 22:57

Rocky Dijon
To my ears, the cousin of "Rain Fall Down" is "Hide Away" on GITD, not either of these two tracks. I also like "Rain Fall Down" and "Hide Away" a great deal.

Mick's two new trackse remind me more of "Aggravation" and "New World" by The Kinks, two interrelated socio-political numbers performed as a single piece in concert, but the studio versions were released two years apart (1989 on UK JIVE and 1991 on DID YA, respectively). Ray Davies likewise seemed to be ranting over noise at times. It will shock no one that I think Ray acquitted himself better.

This isn't a matter of me preferring Keith solo to Mick. Mick solo can be the equal of the Stones (from the same era) whereas Keith solo can equal or better Keith's lead vocals with the Stones. There's a huge difference in commercial appeal (and arguably artistic integrity) between Mick and Keith in the last 30 years or so.

Is my memory failing me, or isn't Aggravation on Think Visual?

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 28, 2017 22:58

Hairball
Doxa
Hairball

- Doxa

I should have said 'generally speaking' and didn't intend to sound arrogant. Obviously you are not in the category of finding joy and something positive in anything Stones related as your dismissal of Crosseyed Heart makes clear, so don't know why you would even take issue with or take the time to reply to that comment, but glad you like the new tunes.

i am afraid Doxa is spot on Hairball, that's the tone of yours and others: if you like this good for you. where u is a naive fan that is aroused like a teenager by pretty much everything from the stones camp. the prophetic and I would add presoumptous premonitions "these songs will not stand the proof of time" are in the same league. teachers teaching to kids. who, among those who have said to like these songs, have prophetized that in the future they will be credited as masterpueces in the whole ouvre of jagger or the stones? none that i have read

I keep to my limited pov: I like them (in different ways as I said) and moreover I like the attitude of mick, that I feel for once refreshing: I have something to say and in a couple of weeks I say it and release the music.

last but not least, in my singular pov, I have listened to this couple of funks more times and time that I have listened to GITD ever (speaking of being pleased by pretty much anything if the camp...)

keeping a little more sticked to one's pov and dont give prophecies or lessons cant harm I think

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-28 23:02 by maumau.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 28, 2017 23:04

DandelionPowderman

Your memory is failing you. And it's about time, too. We're practically the same age and I'm tired of you not showing any signs of encroaching senility.

Date: July 28, 2017 23:13

maumau
Hairball
Doxa
Hairball

- Doxa

i am afraid Doxa is spot on Hairball, that's the tone of yours and others: if you like this good for you. where u is a naive fan that is aroused like a teenager by pretty much everything from the stones camp. the prophetic and I would add presoumptous premonitions "these songs will not stand the proof of time" are in the same league. teachers teaching to kids. who, among those who have said to like these songs, have prophetized that in the future they will be credited as masterpueces in the whole ouvre of jagger or the stones? none that i have read

I keep to my limited pov: I like them (in different ways as I said) and moreover I like the attitude of mick, that I feel for once refreshing: I have something to say and in a couple of weeks I say it and release the music.

last but not least, in my singular pov, I have listened to this couple of funks more times and time that I have listened to GITD ever (speaking of being pleased by pretty much anything if the camp...)

keeping a little more sticked to one's pov and dont give prophecies or lessons cant harm I think

Being this is an open forum where all opinions are welcome, I don't see why you or anyone would get defensive about something that others say. And I'm not sure one has to say "IMO" or "in my point of view" with every single comment they make, as it's obvious that is what they are. But if it makes you feel better - in my point of view, I don't think these songs will stand the test of time IMO. Not everyone will agree with that, and I'm not trying to persuade others or "teach" them into believing that - just giving some candid impressions from my own perspective. If you feel offended, apologies...pay no mind to what I post.

HMS
Heavy Funk just like R.L.Burnside played back in the 90s... nice groove, some good guitar moments, Mick´s voice sounding pretty good... but these are not really songs, just groove... With stuff like that no wonder they "they hit the wall". After two times of listening you see it´s basically nothing... nearly nothing. To be honest both songs sound just the same to yours truly. To be even more honest, both songs are not far from being crap. How can fans be so easily satisfied... don´t let them get away with anything... Put it on the next re-release of Superheavy so hopefully most people will never ever hear these songs. Sorry for not being all smiles, but in fact there´s not much reason for being delighted. This stuff doesn´t even serve as a b-side.

Welcome back HMS.

smileys with beer

Date: July 28, 2017 23:14

Rocky Dijon
DandelionPowderman

Your memory is failing you. And it's about time, too. We're practically the same age and I'm tired of you not showing any signs of encroaching senility.

grinning smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829...LastNext
Current Page: 24 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1283
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home