Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 61
Re: Mick Jagger "Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost"
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 29, 2017 13:22

listened to the songs a seventh time. Now I notice that I am taken in by the songs.

okay OKAY ..... play 7 times before listening .....

HEy it's so interesting to read Tinkerbell's comments over at Shidoobeeeee
Poor thing's not sure what ta think of it all ..... whats gonna happen when
King Geedorah slames thru...... Tinkerbells head .....

Actually Tinkerbell cant read or is slightly confused B-cause she
obviously me mixed up with FFFFFFFFFFFFFffur.... I mean what is it eeerrrr Hairball

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 29, 2017 13:39

Rockman
listened to the songs a seventh time. Now I notice that I am taken in by the songs.

obviously me mixed up with FFFFFFFFFFFFFffur.... I mean what is it eeerrrr Hairball

Rockie, you have made me interested what's going on there at Shidoobie... I need to make a visit...

- Doxa

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 29, 2017 13:43

.... You'll piss your pants .... poor old Tinkerbell

eeerr well name is Twentyrevlites and finks it can see into the future ...
..... But as LisaXFX will tell ya it just don't always go the way ya plan ......

Just hit on King Kunta for the groove ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 29, 2017 13:49

Well,after about 5 times (smileys with beer) listening, really like GGaG better than England Lost. Really like the dirty guitars in Gotta, but also the harmonica in both songs. His vocals on GGAG are great too.
really hope Jagger will play a lot of harmonica on the new stones album.

Maybe i belong to the Keith-lovers, but i have a growing admiration for Jagger, since Blue n Lonesome.

Boy, only 6 weeks waiting for the opening Gig !!
Need a drink now.
Jeroen

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: July 29, 2017 14:14

john lomax
These songs have really grown on me. When I first heard them I wasn't impressed. But afte a few listens I think England Lost is awesome. And Gotta Get a Grip is growing on me too. I actually think these could have worked on a Stones album but I think the Stones wouldn't have done as good a job - i.e. These sorts of songs aren't their forte, they would have ended up sounding like "Suck on the Jugular" if the Stones had done them. This way, they sound cool, different and interesting.

My own view also; on first listen I did like both and subsequent listens I really feel he did good with these tracks. Nothing groundbreaking, just good songs. Love the groove on both, the harmomica, and I do like the lyrics and vocal delivery. Much bettet than expected.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 29, 2017 14:50

Thanks @Shazam for making me this week’s #ArtistOfTheWeek

[twitter.com]

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: July 29, 2017 14:52

Hey guys we have something to celebrate here, just can't get enough of GGAG , it's something else, it really is.
I just can't stand England lost though, it's terrible in every way. Plus England win at so many things of late that it's hard to complain.
Rugby, Tour de France, Formula One Racing, Cricket.
Come on Mick stay up to date dude lol.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-29 15:45 by stone4ever.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 29, 2017 14:58

stone4ever
Hey guys we have something to celebrate here, just can't get enough if ggag, it's something else, it really is.
I just can't stand England lost though, it's terrible in every way. Plus England win at so many things of late that it's hard to complain.
Tennis, Rugby, Tour de France, Formula One Racing, Cricket.

Roger Federer went to exile...?

Posted by: fyp933 ()
Date: July 29, 2017 15:07

good groove on both songs but lyrically ... not so great

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: July 29, 2017 15:18

Take it for what it is...or don't. To me, this is a man doing what he loves to do on his own without The Stones. And so he should. By the way, love these tracks. Excellent groove and great vocals. And very refreshing that he once again (solo) is moving away from the Stones sound

Date: July 29, 2017 15:37

shortfatfanny
stone4ever
Hey guys we have something to celebrate here, just can't get enough if ggag, it's something else, it really is.
Tennis, Rugby, Tour de France, Formula One Racing, Cricket.

Roger Federer went to exile...?

I meant that after all these years we have a Grand Slam winner at last. But still Federer goes down as the greatest champion of them all for sure. Amazing, the oldest player to win a slam in the modern era

Date: July 29, 2017 15:55

Does anyone think Mick's people look on here because it's funny how Mick is singing hard and true on BAL and GGAG. He hasn't done that for ages. This is Mick singing without sounding fake effeminate, American, and no hiding. I love it, this is the Jag of old. Come on Mick keep it real live next month and on the new album . The world is your oyster.

Re: "Mick Jagger" video shoot in London - "Gotta Get a Grip"?
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 29, 2017 16:29

Hairball
LeonidP
Hairball
One things certain, there's quite a lot of remixes and versions of Getta Grip and England Lost to digest which is probably a good thing...

Really? Not for me, remixes are the worst thing that ever happened to b-sides. One out of every 30 or so are worth listening to.

I wrote that yesterday while maneuvering through all of the different versions hoping for something to elevate the official versions.
When the two official releases aren't that special (such as the case here), at least there are other versions to experiment with. Similar to a dub version of a reggae song which in many cases are better than the original song.
I did say "probably a good thing", but I was wrong. Sadly in this case, none of them elevate the official versions, so in that sense I would agree with you.

Yeah, I listened to the mixes too, unfortunately. I should have known better.

Still I do like Gotta Get A Grip, I'll put that on the current playlist.

Date: July 29, 2017 16:32

GasLightStreet
LeonidP
Hairball
One things certain, there's quite a lot of remixes and versions of Getta Grip and England Lost to digest which is probably a good thing...

Really? Not for me, remixes are the worst thing that ever happened to b-sides. One out of every 30 or so are worth listening to.

The Cult always had good remixes.

Possibly, I never heard any and likely never will. Cult has some kickass songs but mixes don't interest me. That comes from all the horrible Stones & U2 mixes I heard back in the 80s/90s, they ruined it for everyone else.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 29, 2017 16:35

Keith should do the same on his birthday in December - release two new songs. He has 4.5 months to do so!!

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 29, 2017 17:23

I enjoyed both songs...they're solid but not spectacular. I haven't listened to any of the remixes yet.

I think the England Lost video was very interesting. Maybe a bit ham-fisted in execution in terms of delivering political insight but still a good attempt. Plus, Luke Evans is always awesome.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: July 29, 2017 17:24

I usually like Mick’s solo stuff, but I’m not really feeling these songs at all. Perhaps my opinion will change as it often does after a few listens

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-29 17:40 by James Kirk.

Date: July 29, 2017 17:38

I just spent practically the same on this two track-single as on a normal LP.

I got a second rate Gunface/Running Out Of Luck and a muddy-sounding Rain Fall Down..

I love that he released them anyhow. I like the lyrics and Mick's voice. The music/"band"-sound is not for me, though. Very 90s - a musical decade that I don't like very much.

Looking forward to the Stones tour/album.

Keep 'em coming anyway, Mick. You always manage to come up with something that's interesting, even though these songs weren't much to write home about.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 29, 2017 17:42

Hairball
Rocky Dijon
Rather ironic to see so many people worked up over a song called "Gotta Get a Grip."

There's similarities to how some people couldn't get a grip when Lets Work was released.

Because there was nothing but shit to get a grip on - and who wants to grip that?

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 29, 2017 17:50

DandelionPowderman
I just spent practically the same on this two track-single as on a normal LP.

I got a second rate Gunface/Running Out Of Luck and a muddy-sounding Rain Fall Down..

I love that he released them anyhow. I like the lyrics and Mick's voice. The music/"band"-sound is not for me, though. Very 90s - a musical decade that I don't like very much.

Looking forward to the Stones tour/album.

Keep 'em coming anyway, Mick. You always manage to come up with something that's interesting, even though these songs weren't much to write home about.

thumbs up
jeroen

Date: July 29, 2017 17:55

LeonidP
GasLightStreet
LeonidP
Hairball

Possibly, I never heard any and likely never will. Cult has some kickass songs but mixes don't interest me. That comes from all the horrible Stones & U2 mixes I heard back in the 80s/90s, they ruined it for everyone else.

I liked the Stones remixes - but the actual remixes, not the club dance crap "mixes" that came out starting with, what, I guess Rock And A Hard Place. The last good remix was One Hit (To The Body). I heard the "remixes" for Love Is Strong (one of them is at least entertaining) and You Got Me Rocking and thought WHY? At least I Go Wild was a real remix - and an unedited version of the song. Saint Of Me was a good remix, as was the Out Of Control Saber mix.

Anybody Seen My Baby's remixes were awful bad.

U2 have only a few remixes I've ever liked - a few of the Mysterious Ways ones, Numb and Elevation. They also had someone poison the "remixes" with that club dance garbage.

Date: July 29, 2017 17:56

I can see digging on these 2 tunes for the rest of summer but by fall, in November, they'll probably be ignored.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 29, 2017 18:00

thumbs up for Kevin Parker Remix

Date: July 29, 2017 18:20

mtaylor
Keith should do the same on his birthday in December - release two new songs. He has 4.5 months to do so!!

I was thinking the same thing.
I would love him to do a few of the old standards he did in 77' and 81'. The Toronto and Longview Farm sessions. With Keiths more mature voice this would be great for his diehard fan's.
Sorry to go off topic.

Date: July 29, 2017 18:30

HMS
Wasn´t there a picture from a Stones-session for the new album with some titles written on plexiglass, one of them "Get A Grip"?

I've been searching for that pic because you are right. I can't find it.

Date: July 29, 2017 18:41

GasLightStreet
LeonidP
GasLightStreet
LeonidP
Hairball

I liked the Stones remixes - but the actual remixes, not the club dance crap "mixes" that came out starting with, what, I guess Rock And A Hard Place. The last good remix was One Hit (To The Body). I heard the "remixes" for Love Is Strong (one of them is at least entertaining) and You Got Me Rocking and thought WHY? At least I Go Wild was a real remix - and an unedited version of the song. Saint Of Me was a good remix, as was the Out Of Control Saber mix.

Anybody Seen My Baby's remixes were awful bad.

U2 have only a few remixes I've ever liked - a few of the Mysterious Ways ones, Numb and Elevation. They also had someone poison the "remixes" with that club dance garbage.

No point to them (except laziness/cheapness, to meet b-side obligations without writing/recording another song). If it were up to me, any band doing a 'remix' would be banned from the R&R HOF. As stated, perhaps 1 in 30 are okay -- as for stones, I can stomach Undercover & Feel On Baby, but still prefer if they never did them.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 29, 2017 18:42

Rockman

Sorry you kind of lost me Rockman...I haven't visited shidoobee in years, and knew of nobody called Tinkerbell.
I only have the time to post on one site only, and I dedicate all of my love to IORR. winking smiley

Are you saying someone there thinks you're me?
Can't be possible as you love B&L and Mick's new solo, while I'm not quite as enthusiastic or devoted to either of them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ahh ok I see your follow up post:

"eeerr well name is Twentyrevlites and finks it can see into the future ..."

Haha...I do recall someone with that name or something similar, but again it's been yeeaaars since I've visited that site.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-29 18:51 by Hairball.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 29, 2017 18:44

From The Lefsetz Letter:

The New Mick Jagger Tracks

What kind of crazy f*cked-up world do we live in where a septuagenarian rock star is hipper than musicians decades, even half a century younger?

One in which the single is everything and you drop it unannounced and then you do it all over again. Lather, rinse, repeat. That's right, you want to be in the marketplace, satiating the core, who come to your show, hoping you gain traction so newcomers will come on board, but if not, you go back to the drawing board over and over again.

The album is a failed construct. It doesn't satiate the audience. Which buys it, devours it and wants more or ignores it completely in a world where you lead with the hit and then people decide to go deeper.

Or not.

No one has any time. Rock stars aren't gods, they're barely even stars, don't get caught up in your own myth, you've got to participate, the internet has turned the concept of artistry on its head, where is it written that a musician should record ten or twelve tracks and release them all at once and go on tour in between? And many of those in the hip-hop world know it's not about the road anyway, but recordings. There's little creativity on the road, just the same tracks over and over again, satiating the audience and making money, but it doesn't move your enterprise FORWARD!

So Mick Jagger puts out two tracks without any advance notice. The press buildup does not work in an on demand world. People want it all and they want it now. So, if you're a fan, and I am, even though those two Jagger solo albums suffered from the lack of the Stones, the songs were okay but the sound was generic, I'm gonna give his new stuff a chance.

And the cuts are very good but they're not hits. They're album tracks. You listen once, or twice, and then you discard.

But then...

We're at the beginning of the news cycle.

I was listening on Spotify, doing online research, going to the videos on Vevo.

The videos... This is where Jagger missed the mark. Videos are worthless unless they go viral. And the "England Lost" clip is worth one view. Well-produced, exquisite in black and white, retro yet present, it's boring but you eventually get to the punch line and once you've heard it you never want to watch it again. The one for "Gotta Get A Grip" is just a mess. You can barely make it through. It's like Jagger's still living in the eighties, when people were forced to watch to listen on MTV, they couldn't fast-forward. If you can't create something people want to watch again and again, just put out a lyric video so people still getting their music on YouTube can play, but in the U.K. YouTube for music is declining in favor of Spotify.

But I'm watching the clips, on the inane Vevo site, with one of the worst search functions online, how come I can't see all the clips? And then the video segues into a remix...AND IT'S BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL TRACK!

And then I frantically start to search Spotify to see if this remix is included. And it turns out there are FOUR! And the one with the most famous, Seeb, is the most disappointing, but then you listen to the Alok and you're stunned, THIS IS A HIT! You want to hear it again, it's modern without selling out, with the emphasized groove and bass. It is as if you've ventured in a time machine from the seventies to today.

And the "England Lost" iteration with Skepta isn't quite as satisfying, it seems too de rigueur, just another guest rapper to try to put the track over the top, but it is interesting.

And suddenly Mick Jagger, who's been out of the new music discussion for years, has gotten an hour of my time. And is gonna get more. Because of the remixes. Maybe Kanye was right when he kept changing that album after release. The charts couldn't handle it, the industry couldn't handle it, but the audience certainly could. Music is a living, breathing thing, And the oldsters have not been able to cope with this since the advent of sampling.

Then again, technology has always mutated the music.

And the publicity cycle.

And...

It's still evolving. I won't say Mick Jagger is at the bleeding edge, but he is running with the pack, showing you can teach an old dog new tricks. Now I'm waiting for the rest of the ancient to get off their butts and wake up. Sure, you want a hit, and don't tell me radio won't play it, terrestrial is losing power every single day and Beats One is moribund, but if you are an artist, if you are a creator, you want to get in the sandbox and play, and your legacy is such that your fans, keeping you alive on the road, a paradigm the Stones employed even better than the Dead, the dirty little secret is their beloved LPs barely sold, want to get dirty with you!

[lefsetz.com]

Date: July 29, 2017 19:00

Above post was great thanks, about time people got together and gave Mick a pat on the back for once. This is good shit. He's got people noticing him, talking about him and listening to him, this can only be good for the Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-29 19:01 by stone4ever.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: July 29, 2017 19:00

Haven't heard the song on USA radio yet. Is it getting airplay in the U.K.?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1828
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home