Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 61
Re: Mick Jagger "Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost"
Date: July 29, 2017 19:20

That ringing guitar in the riff; it reminds me of all those Big Riff 101 singles 'Black or White" or 'Charmed Life'.
I'm starting to like "England Lost' over the A Side. Wish it had better lyrics.'

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 29, 2017 19:22

Bashlets
Haven't heard the song on USA radio yet. Is it getting airplay in the U.K.?

Airplay? These days it's all about streaming.

"Gotta Get A Grip" has been streamed more than 200,000 times on Spotify, while "England Lost" has been streamed a little over 40,000 times.

Conversely, "England Lost" has more YouTube views than "Gotta Get A Grip" - both over 200K.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-29 19:23 by bye bye johnny.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 29, 2017 19:31

"And the cuts are very good but they're not hits. They're album tracks. You listen once, or twice, and then you discard". - The Lefsetz Letter

But...the writer then states they like the remixes better! I was hoping for the same, but the remixes didn't really elevate anything upon first couple of listens.
Will listen again and again to official versions hoping I won't feel as disappointed as the above writer wanting to immediately discard them (I was pleasantly pleased upon first listen), and maybe they'll grow more.
If not will listen again and again to the remixes. A lot to take in, and might be a futile attempt, but new Stones related material deserves my full attention...for a little while anyways. One thing's certain already though (for me), they're not as bad as they could have been, and for that hats off to Mick for not wasting any more time. Gotta Getta Grip...England Lost...maybe he'll continue to release these quick singles as fast as he can write and record them.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 29, 2017 20:20

Alok Petrillo's response to the Bob Lefsetz piece:

Re: The New Mick Jagger Tracks

Hey Bob,

Thank you for your kind words regarding my remix of Mick Jagger's "Gotta Get a Grip". This is a track that I'm extremely proud of and honored to have signed. I met Mick in Brazil a few months ago and when he asked me to do this I was shocked. I was in the middle of a tour and stopped everything to get it just right. Mick really dove in heads on this project with me and helped me get this the way it is now. At one point I really felt that he couldn't get any satisfaction! By the fifth version we got it just right and the reaction from everyone involved was incredible. I knew we had created something special. Anyways, I very happy it's out for everyone to hear and extremely grateful for the positive reaction.

Best,
Alok

Date: July 29, 2017 20:29

From Spin magazine:

Skepta and Kevin Parker Can’t Breathe Life Into Mick Jagger’s New Solo Songs
Andy Cush // July 27, 2017

Gotta Getta Grip

Mick Jagger is a lot of things: sex symbol, surprisingly good film actor, onetime beard owner, the greatest rock’n’roll frontman who ever lived. What he is not is a convincing political troubadour. In their heyday, the Rolling Stones wrote a few immortal songs that obliquely addressed current events and the tides of history–think about “Gimme Shelter,” “Sympathy for the Devil,” “Street Fightin’ Man,”–but they wisely avoided the explicitly topical fare that was in vogue at the time. Any attempts to write straightforward protest songs in the intervening years, like the Bush-skewering 2005 single “Sweet Neo Con,” have been awkward and embarrassing.

So it’s possible that you felt some trepidation when you read that “Get a Grip” and “England Lost,” Jagger’s newly released pair of solo songs, were written in response to the “anxiety [and] unknowability of the changing political situation.” It was entirely warranted. After the back-to-basics turn of his band’s most recent album, this material is ostensibly forward-looking, with crisp modern production and breakbeat drums that vaguely scan as hip-hop. There’s a clear ambition toward contemporary relevance, but the songs paradoxically end up sounding more dated than the straightforward Delta homages of Blue & Lonesome, coming off more like the kind of thing David Bowie could write in his sleep 20 years ago than the Skepta and Kendrick Lamar records Jagger says he’s listening to lately.

Skepta himself shows up on an alternate version of “England Lost,” a song that halfheartedly attempts to connect a losing football match with the overall state of things in the UK post-Brexit. (“I went to see England but England lost,” “I went to find England, it wasn’t there,” and so on.) The grime star sounds a little unsure of what he’s doing there when his verse abruptly begins halfway through the song, but to be fair, so does Jagger himself. “I’m tired of talking about immigration,” he sings at one point, and you believe him.

The other unexpected guest is Tame Impala mastermind Kevin Parker, who always seemed like more of a Beatles guy. He provides one of several remixes to “Gotta Get a Grip,” sanding down the overly busy original to an appealing minimalist sheen. Like everything Parker touches, the remix sounds great, but his signature filtered guitar tones can’t save Jagger’s uninspired observations, which touch on ISIS, acupuncture, “metadata scams,” and the notion that “the news is all fake.” It’s hard to argue with any of it, but that’s only because the “everything is @#$%&” point he’s trying to drive home is so obvious. It’s a lot better than “England Lost,” but that isn’t saying much.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 29, 2017 20:29

stone4ever
mtaylor
Keith should do the same on his birthday in December - release two new songs. He has 4.5 months to do so!!

I was thinking the same thing.
I would love him to do a few of the old standards he did in 77' and 81'. The Toronto and Longview Farm sessions. With Keiths more mature voice this would be great for his diehard fan's.
Sorry to go off topic.

These days, they don't need to make albums, they can just release songs as they come by. I guess that with time will become industry standard - at least for established bands, such as Stones.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: July 29, 2017 20:35

mtaylor
stone4ever
mtaylor
Keith should do the same on his birthday in December - release two new songs. He has 4.5 months to do so!!

I was thinking the same thing.
I would love him to do a few of the old standards he did in 77' and 81'. The Toronto and Longview Farm sessions. With Keiths more mature voice this would be great for his diehard fan's.
Sorry to go off topic.

These days, they don't need to make albums, they can just release songs as they come by. I guess that with time will become industry standard - at least for established bands, such as Stones.

Yes at their ages now they don't really have six months of their lives to spend on making an album. By the sound of it Crosseyed Heart was made over a series of weekends. This would not only suit Mick and Keith as solo artists but as the Stones too. We could end up with quality over quantity. Its all good.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 29, 2017 20:52

Spotify (Thursday / Friday)

203,972 - Gotta Get A Grip
41,753 - England Lost
19,018 - Gotta Get A Grip (Alox)
14,310 - Gotta Get A Grip (Kevin Parker)
6,685 - England Lost (feat. Skepta)
3,844 - Gotta Get A Grip (Seeb)
3,185 - Gotta Get A Grip (Matt Clifford)

Combined Versions:
244,329 - Gotta Get A Grip
48,438 - England Lost

Date: July 29, 2017 20:57

georgelicks

41,753 - England Lost

Combined Versions:
48,438 - England Lost

What is the meaning of all this georglicks - do these numbers equate to success in your opinion?
All I see is a bunch of stats with high numbers, and would assume it's doing well?

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: July 29, 2017 21:50

Channel 5 ran a ten minute discussion and played both songs early yesterday evening.
AS one pop critic said Mick is still a revered Icon and mixes with people of all ages and is still seen as being relevant.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 29, 2017 22:31

Hairball
georgelicks

41,753 - England Lost

Combined Versions:
48,438 - England Lost

What is the meaning of all this georglicks - do these numbers equate to success in your opinion?
All I see is a bunch of stats with high numbers, and would assume it's doing well?

is there a quote, review or anything that's even remotely negative not in your interest? Get a grip.

Re: "Mick Jagger" video shoot in London - "Gotta Get a Grip"?
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 29, 2017 22:36

LeonidP
GasLightStreet
LeonidP
GasLightStreet
LeonidP
Hairball
One things certain, there's quite a lot of remixes and versions of Getta Grip and England Lost to digest which is probably a good thing...

Really? Not for me, remixes are the worst thing that ever happened to b-sides. One out of every 30 or so are worth listening to.

The Cult always had good remixes.

Possibly, I never heard any and likely never will. Cult has some kickass songs but mixes don't interest me. That comes from all the horrible Stones & U2 mixes I heard back in the 80s/90s, they ruined it for everyone else.

I liked the Stones remixes - but the actual remixes, not the club dance crap "mixes" that came out starting with, what, I guess Rock And A Hard Place. The last good remix was One Hit (To The Body). I heard the "remixes" for Love Is Strong (one of them is at least entertaining) and You Got Me Rocking and thought WHY? At least I Go Wild was a real remix - and an unedited version of the song. Saint Of Me was a good remix, as was the Out Of Control Saber mix.

Anybody Seen My Baby's remixes were awful bad.

U2 have only a few remixes I've ever liked - a few of the Mysterious Ways ones, Numb and Elevation. They also had someone poison the "remixes" with that club dance garbage.

No point to them (except laziness/cheapness, to meet b-side obligations without writing/recording another song). If it were up to me, any band doing a 'remix' would be banned from the R&R HOF. As stated, perhaps 1 in 30 are okay -- as for stones, I can stomach Undercover & Feel On Baby, but still prefer if they never did them.

I don't get the laziness/cheapness aspect, especially when the band/artist is for it. It's about broadening the song - and giving the fan and or listener something else within. They don't always work but it's obviously an individual thing, which is the great thing about choice.

Lyrics to Gotta Get a Grip???
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 18, 2017 18:14

Immigrants are pouring in, put them in the slammer
Chaos crisis - instability, Isis.
LA culture and aquapuncture
I tried diversion, and I tried coersion
Induced insanity, and Christianity.
Metadata scams and policy shams
Long walks and fast drives, and wild club's and low dives

Some odd rhymes here, no? Sounds like it might be a rap? Hope not

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-18 18:16 by bitusa2012.

Re: Lyrics to Gotta Get a Grip???
Date: July 18, 2017 19:01

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: July 29, 2017 17:58

[www.youtube.com]

Gotta Get a Grip Video

[www.youtube.com]

England Lost

England Lost: Mick Jagger releases Brexit-inspired solo songs
Rolling Stones singer says England Lost reflects country’s ‘vulnerability’ while Gotta Get a Grip bemoans fake news and politics led by ‘lunatics’

[www.theguardian.com]

Mick Jagger Gets Political, Addresses U.K. 'Anxiety' on Two New Songs
‘’We obviously have a lot of problems," Rolling Stones singer says of "England Lost" a

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: July 29, 2017 18:00

[vvinyl.com]

Product Code: JAGO28
Format: CD Single
Availability: In Stock
$6.99

Date: July 29, 2017 18:00

Date: July 29, 2017 18:03

Mick Jagger Unveils Surprise New Two-Song Release: England Lost And Gotta Get A Grip
By Paul Sexton July 27, 2017

[www.udiscovermusic.com]

Mick Jagger has unveiled two brand new tracks as a surprise instant release. 'Gotta Get A Grip' and 'England Lost' are both described as urgent responses to the “confusion and frustration with the times we live in.” The latter song features a collaboration with the hot British grime artist and rapper Skepta.

“I started writing these two songs in April and wanted them out straight away,” says Jagger. “Doing a whole album often takes a long time even after finishing it with all the record company preparations and global release set up. It’s always refreshing to get creative in a different fashion and I feel a slight throwback to a time when you could be a bit more free and easy by recording on the hoof and putting it out there immediately. I didn’t want to wait until next year when these two tracks might lose any impact and mean nothing”.

The songs are available as a double A-side limited edition 12” vinyl and CD, on digital download and via streaming services. Both have new accompanying videos, 'Gotta Get A Grip' directed by Saam Farahmand and starring Jemima Kirke, and 'England Lost' directed by Saam Farahmand, starring Luke Evans.

Jagger, who turned 74 yesterday (26 June), says that the new songs were a result of "anxiety, unknowability of the changing political situation". Both have him defiantly addressing the pressing political and sociological issues of the day. 'England Lost' uses the backdrop of a football match that he attended as an analogy for the political crossroads he perceives.

“Ostensibly, it’s about seeing an England football team lose,” says the Rolling Stones frontman about 'England Lost,' “but when I wrote the title I knew it would be about more than just that. It’s about a feeling that we are in a difficult moment in our history.

“It's about the unknowability about where you are and the feeling of insecurity. That’s how I was feeling when I was writing. It's obviously got a fair amount of humour because I don’t like anything too on the nose but it's also got a sense of vulnerability of where we are as a country."

“Right from the off when I started writing ‘England Lost’, I imagined having a British rapper on the track...Skepta stepped in at a moment’s notice and I just loved what he did.”

Of 'Gotta Get A Grip,' Jagger adds: “The message I suppose is, despite all those things that are happening, you gotta get on with your own life, be yourself and attempt to create your own destiny. We obviously have a lot of problems. So am I politically optimistic?…no.”

Jagger has also been speaking about what music has been inspiring him of late.

“I do quite a lot of trawling for music online and also the youngsters in my family all play me music when we get together, so I get to hear all kinds of things. I listen to R&B and pop and strange mixes of old and new and then like everyone I make my own random playlists.

“The last things I added to a list were Kendrick Lamar, Skepta, Mozart, Howlin’ Wolf, Tame Impala, obscure Prince tracks and classic soul stuff from [early 1980s Columbus, Ohio sibling soul duo] the Valentine Brothers. I really like Kendrick Lamar, he’s also talking about discontent and he really nailed it. I thought his stuff, and what Skepta is doing, are very interesting and pretty much on the button.’’

The two songs are available in a number of remixes, as follows.

'Gotta Get A Grip'/'England Lost' – Reimagined:
• England Lost featuring Skepta
• Gotta Get A Grip (Seeb Remix)
• Gotta Get A Grip (Kevin Parker Remix)
• Gotta Get A Grip (Alok Remix)
• Gotta Get A Grip (Matt Clifford Remix)

I didn't see the STICKY,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-29 18:18 by exilestones.

Date: July 30, 2017 00:22

Rip This
Hairball
georgelicks

41,753 - England Lost

Combined Versions:
48,438 - England Lost

is there a quote, review or anything that's even remotely negative not in your interest? Get a grip.

I posted a semi- positive review yesterday - England Lost(2 of 5 stars), Gotta Get a Grip (5 of 5 stars), and then posted a quote The Lefsetz Letter saying he likes the remixes better than the official versions.
And I don't see anything negative with what I posted above, just wondering and assuming that it's doing well, and georgelicks is the person who would be able to decipher all the numbers he posted.
I don't use spotify, so it all looks like a foreign language to me.

Sound like you Gotta Getta Grip yourself!

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: July 30, 2017 00:23

I can only say, I wish he did these songs with the Stones.

I very much appreciate Mick staying on point, contemporary and timely. These are mature songs, about the world not someone he's with or memoralizing his past.

And I am a Keef loyalist spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

These songs add gravitas to Mick, someone I thought wasn't exactly interested in anything past his choreography and wardrobe.

Speaking of which, loved Exhibitionism and seeing the wardrobe, mostly Mick. The Alexander Mcqueen piece with Tsar's daughters in sequins, disturbing. An odd piece considering few would ever see the reference in a stadium show. But a hint at the totality of the Stones, a much deeper artistic enterprise than the title of World's Greatest RnR band encapsulates.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: July 30, 2017 00:45

I like Gotta Get a Grip. It's been running in my mind a bit. It has a catchy hook/beat. Maybe it will catch on, on the dance floors. They can dance to Grandpa's music.

"England Lost", not as good. Best part is the interlude rap by Skepta.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: July 30, 2017 00:49

I like to play "Walk This Way" on guitar to "England Lost". Other than that, well I'm glad Sir Mick is staying active, practicing his craft, and many people are enjoying it.

Re: "Mick Jagger" video shoot in London - "Gotta Get a Grip"?
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 30, 2017 01:48

GasLightStreet
LeonidP
GasLightStreet
LeonidP
GasLightStreet
LeonidP
Hairball
One things certain, there's quite a lot of remixes and versions of Getta Grip and England Lost to digest which is probably a good thing...

Really? Not for me, remixes are the worst thing that ever happened to b-sides. One out of every 30 or so are worth listening to.

The Cult always had good remixes.

Possibly, I never heard any and likely never will. Cult has some kickass songs but mixes don't interest me. That comes from all the horrible Stones & U2 mixes I heard back in the 80s/90s, they ruined it for everyone else.

I liked the Stones remixes - but the actual remixes, not the club dance crap "mixes" that came out starting with, what, I guess Rock And A Hard Place. The last good remix was One Hit (To The Body). I heard the "remixes" for Love Is Strong (one of them is at least entertaining) and You Got Me Rocking and thought WHY? At least I Go Wild was a real remix - and an unedited version of the song. Saint Of Me was a good remix, as was the Out Of Control Saber mix.

Anybody Seen My Baby's remixes were awful bad.

U2 have only a few remixes I've ever liked - a few of the Mysterious Ways ones, Numb and Elevation. They also had someone poison the "remixes" with that club dance garbage.

No point to them (except laziness/cheapness, to meet b-side obligations without writing/recording another song). If it were up to me, any band doing a 'remix' would be banned from the R&R HOF. As stated, perhaps 1 in 30 are okay -- as for stones, I can stomach Undercover & Feel On Baby, but still prefer if they never did them.

I don't get the laziness/cheapness aspect, especially when the band/artist is for it. It's about broadening the song - and giving the fan and or listener something else within. They don't always work but it's obviously an individual thing, which is the great thing about choice.

I don't follow what you don't get ... it's a free bside, they don't have to write/record, they let some schmuck sit at a console and adjust, add, delete, scratch, etc. whatever else they do - and suckers buy/listen to the crap that comes from that.

Broadening the song? Ha, not that I've ever heard.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 30, 2017 01:54

Gotta Get A Grip / England Lost are the debut solo singles from the inimitable Mick Jagger, pressed onto 12" vinyl as a double A side.

From the Jagger site advertised as double A-side ....... (and debut solo single )

[store.universalmusic.com]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 30, 2017 02:09

I like them better now that I see the absurdist humor -- I hear the narrator listening to all these voices in streets and the media complaining about soccer games and fake news. Gotta Get a Grip, indeed.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: July 30, 2017 02:27

As far as the two songs go, England Lost and Gotta Get a Grip, they really don't do much for me.

I liked One More Shot and Gloom and Doom a lot more.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 30, 2017 02:49

bobo
Take it for what it is...or don't. To me, this is a man doing what he loves to do on his own without The Stones. And so he should. By the way, love these tracks. Excellent groove and great vocals. And very refreshing that he once again (solo) is moving away from the Stones sound

Yeah the "freshness" is interesting, although the backing tracks are probably from his backlog of demos that Keith can't stop trashing. The rythm/riffing guitar on GGaG is more memorable than anything Keith's produced this side of, dunno MO? Hope Mick puts out songs regularly and stops wasting his time pretending he still writes songs with Keith...maybe he can at least break free from the Stones for NEW music 30+ years after he first tried to!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 30, 2017 03:59

Gotta say both are growing on me but still prefer GGaG to EL.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 30, 2017 04:41

bye bye johnny

Hey Bob,

Thank you for your kind words regarding my remix of Mick Jagger's "Gotta Get a Grip". This is a track that I'm extremely proud of and honored to have signed. I met Mick in Brazil a few months ago and when he asked me to do this I was shocked. I was in the middle of a tour and stopped everything to get it just right. Mick really dove in heads on this project with me and helped me get this the way it is now. At one point I really felt that he couldn't get any satisfaction! By the fifth version we got it just right and the reaction from everyone involved was incredible. I knew we had created something special. Anyways, I very happy it's out for everyone to hear and extremely grateful for the positive reaction.

Best,
Alok

*wow! This is my only version of GGAG. I'm stuck on it. thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 30, 2017 05:24

35love
bye bye johnny

Hey Bob,

Best,
Alok

*wow! This is my only version of GGAG. I'm stuck on it. thumbs up

a lok it alot!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1677
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home