Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 61
Re: Mick Jagger "Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost"
Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: July 30, 2017 09:07

Hairball
Rip This
Hairball
georgelicks
Spotify (Thursday / Friday)

203,972 - Gotta Get A Grip
41,753 - England Lost
19,018 - Gotta Get A Grip (Alox)
14,310 - Gotta Get A Grip (Kevin Parker)
6,685 - England Lost (feat. Skepta)
3,844 - Gotta Get A Grip (Seeb)
3,185 - Gotta Get A Grip (Matt Clifford)

Combined Versions:
244,329 - Gotta Get A Grip
48,438 - England Lost

What is the meaning of all this georglicks - do these numbers equate to success in your opinion?
All I see is a bunch of stats with high numbers, and would assume it's doing well?

is there a quote, review or anything that's even remotely negative not in your interest? Get a grip.

I posted a semi- positive review yesterday - England Lost(2 of 5 stars), Gotta Get a Grip (5 of 5 stars), and then posted a quote The Lefsetz Letter saying he likes the remixes better than the official versions.
And I don't see anything negative with what I posted above, just wondering and assuming that it's doing well, and georgelicks is the person who would be able to decipher all the numbers he posted.
I don't use spotify, so it all looks like a foreign language to me.

Sound like you Gotta Getta Grip yourself!

Why would you give 5 of 5 stars to something you don't like smiling smiley
The herd finally got to you winking smiley
It happens to the most independent of minds on iorr.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 30, 2017 09:24

stone4ever
Hairball
Rip This
Hairball
georgelicks

41,753 - England Lost

Combined Versions:
48,438 - England Lost

What is the meaning of all this georglicks - do these numbers equate to success in your opinion?
All I see is a bunch of stats with high numbers, and would assume it's doing well?

is there a quote, review or anything that's even remotely negative not in your interest? Get a grip.

I posted a semi- positive review yesterday - England Lost(2 of 5 stars), Gotta Get a Grip (5 of 5 stars), and then posted a quote The Lefsetz Letter saying he likes the remixes better than the official versions.
And I don't see anything negative with what I posted above, just wondering and assuming that it's doing well, and georgelicks is the person who would be able to decipher all the numbers he posted.

Sorry Charlie - I guess I wasn't clear.
I posted a review from the Times UK that gave it those scores - not me!

Gotta Getta Grip

I'd probably give both a generous 2 out of 5 stars - tried listening several more times throughout the day to all versions, and while they're not completely offensive to the senses, just can't see listening to them on a regular basis. Will give them a few more listens as it is kind of a momentary cheap thrill (albeit a bit monotonous) to hear something new that's Stones related, but I have other things lined up that deserve my full attention. Glad some people are enjoying them, but they just aren't my cup of tea.

Date: July 30, 2017 09:42

Hairball
stone4ever
Hairball
Rip This
Hairball
georgelicks

41,753 - England Lost

Combined Versions:
48,438 - England Lost

Sorry Charlie - I guess I wasn't clear.
I posted a review from the Times UK that gave it those scores - not me!

Gotta Getta Grip

I'd probably give both a generous 2 out of 5 stars - tried listening several more times throughout the day to all versions, and while they're not completely offensive to the senses, just can't see listening to them on a regular basis. Will give them a few more listens as it is kind of a momentary cheap thrill (albeit a bit monotonous) to hear something new that's Stones related, but I have other things lined up that deserve my full attention. Glad some people are enjoying them, but they just aren't my cup of tea.

Sorry my bad Hairball.
I initially liked GGAG, then i listened to England lost and hated it, (still do), but after 6 or 7 plays of GGAG it finally hit me. I had a similar experience to Undercover Of The Night all those years ago, it just gets you after a while, i actually can't get enough of GGAG. Could be a sort of brain washing mind control thing, its beyond catchy.

Date: July 30, 2017 09:57

stone4ever
Sorry my bad Hairball.
I initially liked GGAG, then i listened to England lost and hated it, (still do), but after 6 or 7 plays of GGAG it finally hit me. I had a similar experience to Undercover Of The Night all those years ago, it just gets you after a while, i actually can't get enough of GGAG. Could be a sort of brain washing mind control thing, its beyond catchy.

No need to apologize, I can see it was unclear the way I posted that sentence.
And to be clear, I don't recall ever saying I flat out didn't like Gotta Getta Grip. In fact my very first impression was that I was pleasantly surprised which is more than I can say after hearing any other Mick Jagger solo tunes dating back to his first solo album. I was expecting more frivolous drivel from Mick, but have to say it wasn't that bad of an experience. After multiple listens though, there's just not very much there to sink one's teeth in to. Does it suck? No. Is it great? No. Will I buy any of these tunes? No. Am I happy for Mick that he is recording and releasing new material? Yes. Will I look forward to any more solo releases from him? Probably not. Will there ever be a new Stones album of original tunes after 11 long years? I hope so. Will Keith ever release another solo album or single? I hope so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-30 09:59 by Hairball.

Date: July 30, 2017 11:03

I was just thinking i hope the Stones do hurry up and finish this album, it just feels like the right time, the Stars are all positioned at the right point in time, the World is ready for a Rolling Stones album RIGHT NOW.

I mean they are touring too God Damn it, why couldn't they just finish it already.

Any more news as to a Mick solo album on the cards, ill settle for that, could be good, perhaps this GGAG will give Mick the inspiration needed to do another one, but come on man lets get this Stones album done and dusted first.

Think i'm back in love with the Jag, thank you Mick for not getting old.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-30 11:08 by stone4ever.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 30, 2017 11:16

Are you saying someone there thinks you're me?
Can't be possible as you love B&L and Mick's new solo, while I'm not quite as enthusiastic or devoted to either of them

Yeah Yeah Hairball .... I'm sure he's talking about you cause he's sure got things all wrong ........ Rev Twenty Redlights but I call him Tinkerbell .....HHaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: July 30, 2017 11:19

Is Mick going to perform GGAG anyplace soon ??
Dude needs to ride this wave, come on Mick grab your surf board and ride this mother.

Posted by: z ()
Date: July 30, 2017 11:38

Rockman
Can't be possible as you love B&L and Mick's new solo, while I'm not quite as enthusiastic or devoted to either of them

Yeah Yeah Hairball .... I'm sure he's talking about you cause he's sure got things all wrong ........ Rev Twenty Redlights but I call him Tinkerbell .....HHaaaaaa

Are you a "semi-insider", Hairball..?

Date: July 30, 2017 11:56

z
Rockman

Are you a "semi-insider", Hairball..?

Lol "semi-insider"? I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm just a music fan in California, and have no connections to anyone anywhere!
IORR is my only source for accurate Stones info., and to a much lesser degree maybe a couple of Stones related facebook pages.
There are a few here who claim to get inside info., or know someone who knows someone who might have inside info., but I'm just a curious bystander.

Stones and Beatles - that's what it all comes down to in my world. thumbs up

Posted by: z ()
Date: July 30, 2017 12:07

Just kidding, HB...they say overthere, at Shidoobee, that the Rockman/Hairball guy (Rockball?) is a semi-insider...

Date: July 30, 2017 12:19

z
Just kidding, HB...they say overthere, at Shidoobee, that the Rockman/Hairball guy (Rockball?) is a semi-insider...

Ahhh ok...was wondering how I could ever possibly be confused with someone who has inside info.
I like to rant, rave, and/or praise anything Stones related, and post videos in the 'what are you listening to' thread, and that's about all I'm good for.

Rockball lol...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-30 12:23 by Hairball.

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: July 30, 2017 14:11

Fantastic songs and words. Not for beginners. Thank's !

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: July 30, 2017 15:28

I've listened to these two tracks multiple times.
For myself, I try to get new songs into my "skin."

GGAP, reminds me of Might As Well Get Juiced.

England Lost is reminiscent of Too Much Blood.

For myself, these songs are decent tracks. They've obviously been heavily produced, perhaps too much so.
GGAP has a crunchy guitar riff which does a good job of winding the spring of the song to a good progression into the lead guitars. The overproduction of the track blunts the edge of this great riff. I understand that Mick loves a slick end product, but this mixing method took a little of the "air" out of both tracks.
I usually prefer KR solo tracks. He leaves the "air" in a track.
Micks vocals are great on both tracks.

This is probably why Jagger/Richards tracks have the best balance of both styles.

I loved the video for England Lost.

GGAP is the strongest of the two tracks, in my opinion.

Date: July 30, 2017 16:55

Unfortunately, the versions on Youtube seem to be heavily compressed and limited to 16 Khz. Spek says that AAC downloaded has 126 kbps.

The version I bought on Itunes of both songs sounds really better.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 30, 2017 17:26

Anyone else who has noticed the songs credits?

According to Qobuz : [www.qobuz.com]

1 Gotta Get A Grip 00:04:05
Stephen Marcussen, Mastering Engineer - MICK JAGGER, Composer, Author, Guitar, Co-Producer, Vocals, MainArtist - Copyright Control, MusicPublisher - Tom Elmhirst, Mixer - Robbie Nelson, Recording Engineer, Programming - Ronnie Wood, Electric Guitar - Matt Clifford, Composer, Author, Keyboards, Co-Producer, Recording Engineer, Programming - Charlie Watts, Drums - Promopub, MusicPublisher - Brandon Bost, Assistant Mixer - Pia Squillino, Participant, AssociatedPerformer

2 England Lost 00:03:53
Stephen Marcussen, Mastering Engineer - MICK JAGGER, Composer, Author, Guitar, Co-Producer, Vocals, MainArtist - Copyright Control, MusicPublisher - Tom Elmhirst, Mixer - Robbie Nelson, Recording Engineer, Programming - Ronnie Wood, Electric Guitar - Matt Clifford, Composer, Author, Keyboards, Co-Producer, Recording Engineer, Programming - Charlie Watts, Drums - Promopub, MusicPublisher - Brandon Bost, Assistant Mixer - Pia Squillino, Participant, AssociatedPerformer

A taste (test?) for what's coming for the Stones album?

Date: July 30, 2017 17:30

jumpingjackflash5
Unfortunately, the versions on Youtube seem to be heavily compressed and limited to 16 Khz. Spek says that AAC downloaded has 126 kbps.

The vinyl sounds good, but the production isn't my cup of tea..

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 30, 2017 17:30

kowalski

Nice info, thanks! thumbs up

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 30, 2017 17:33

kowalski

*I had been trying to find song credits/ more info! Thought I had to wait for my CD- which I neglected to order w/ a tee- shirt and MICK JAGGER tee-shirt not sold separately--- FYI Jag team winking smiley

Date: July 30, 2017 17:34

Credits don't say:
Smoking hot harp playing: Jagger

Date: July 30, 2017 17:48

If i had writers block this is exactly what i would do.
Write lyrics, if that's all i can manage and make the most of all the gimmicks available to me. This is what Mick has successfully done.
There is no way Mick can write an album like Keith just did, he just hasn't got it in him, so this is the next best thing to get started. Smart move from Mick.
There is nothing musical about these two tracks, but they are getting the juices flowing. You can feel the frustration in GGAG, its as though he is willing himself to make the grade, he does it vocally, he manages to force the song but he doesn't reach the heights musically that he once could. I think Mick is on the verge of summoning his creative spark with GGAG, its 10 out of 10 for effort.

Pity Mick hasn't used his best asset yet, if he doesn't perform these tracks live then they don't have as much credibility. We need to see that these songs work live, i want evidence winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-30 17:50 by stone4ever.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 30, 2017 17:48

So the tracks are copyrighted by Promotone rather than Jagged Recordings and feature Mick with Ronnie and Charlie. I guess these are Stones songs that Keith refused to be part of and so they aren't Jagger/Richards or released as The Rolling Stones. In this sense, it is a debut solo single. Three quarters of the band working under the name "Mick Jagger."

Date: July 30, 2017 18:12

Rocky Dijon
So the tracks are copyrighted by Promotone rather than Jagged Recordings and feature Mick with Ronnie and Charlie. I guess these are Stones songs that Keith refused to be part of and so they aren't Jagger/Richards or released as The Rolling Stones. In this sense, it is a debut solo single. Three quarters of the band working under the name "Mick Jagger."

Anyone else admire Keith for having no part in these recordings. Its like hey Mick on your bike with this garbage.
Keith has a vision of what Stones product consists of and will not budge this time, it is probably their last album together after all.
Micks revenge is to finish them off and release them quick.
Could we see a counter attack from Keith, will he release a couple of recordings Micks not to happy with. This is fun guys, the two old gunslingers fighting it out to the grave and probably beyond hehe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-30 18:13 by stone4ever.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 30, 2017 19:09

I wonder..is www.qobuz.com a reliable source??
i mean..do we know for a fact that this is true. that this is the Stones without Keef?
Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-30 19:09 by corriecas.

Date: July 30, 2017 19:29

Well, here's what I'm saying:

'Gotta Get A Grip' 2 remixes
Do you like to funk? You have to have a part that funks.
GGAG Alok (which I saturated)

GGAG Seeb Remix
I listened to this 1st time today
iTunes download thru ears direct
I tell you what, it propelled me.
I wanted to train for a race.

I am put off by the Matt Clifford remix and the Kevin Parker remix.

Date: July 30, 2017 19:47

Seeb is norwegian, but I must admit I hadn't heard about him before.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 30, 2017 19:58

DandelionPowderman
Seeb is norwegian, but I must admit I hadn't heard about him before.

Same here with Alok.

Date: July 30, 2017 20:23

DandelionPowderman
jumpingjackflash5

The vinyl sounds good, but the production isn't my cup of tea..

Also I do not like much the production but the youtube version emphasizes its "errors"/characteristics. Itunes/Vinyl version is much better.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 30, 2017 20:33

I don't care about the music anymore but the lyrics are interesting. Political but vague in a typical Jagger fashion. But a little less vague than usual. In fact, these days I'm more interested what Jagger has to say about the times passing than the music. He is 74 years old now. Time to grow up. His days, like ours, are numbered.

Date: July 30, 2017 20:57

Stoneage
I don't care about the music anymore but the lyrics are interesting. Political but vague in a typical Jagger fashion. But a little less vague than usual. In fact, these days I'm more interested what Jagger has to say about the times passing than the music. He is 74 years old now. Time to grow up. His days, like ours, are numbered.

I can see Mick reaching like about 104 years of age, who knows, his days might not be numbered, he could be making irritating music with ridiculous lyrics for another 30 years yet.winking smiley
I certainly hope so >grinning smiley<

Date: July 30, 2017 21:13

Rocky Dijon

Hard to imagine this is Charlie on drums Getta Grip as it sounds quite rudimentary and robotic - like a drum machine, but I suppose it could be? Maybe he played an initial simple beat during a session, and then it was fed through a loop. I'm no wiz at this type of overproduction process, so am genuinely curious. As for the guitar, I suppose it could be Ronnie as he has no absolute signature sound (up to this point, nobody would have guessed this was Ronnie), and even if he did have a recognizable style and sound the overproduction on these new tunes would have made it unrecognizable. Someone mentioned the guitar riff on Michael Jackson's Black and White which is basically a simplified Keith style riff...could Ronnie be channeling Michael Jackson c. early '90's? There's even some hints of the Jackson/Jagger collab. State of Shock c. early '80s, and maybe that's why this sounds a bit old hat? Or is it Ronnie playing the simplistic lead parts? Hard to say, as the rhythm and the leads sound like it could be anyone who has some basic skills on the guitar. I thought it was Mick playing rhythm!

As for Keith refusing to have his name attached with these, hard to understand why...maybe it's partially due to his disdain of anything too contemporary and/or maybe he disagreed with Mick on the lyrical content? Or maybe he just didn't like the song period? It's really not any worse than some of what was on ABB. so can't understand his refusal if this is true. As for the lesser of the two England Lost, Keith probably wanted nothing to do with the rap element of the tune, which would be odd because Mick is basically rap/singing - in other words it doesn't sound like Eminem, Snoop Dog, or any other well known rapper - it sounds like Mick being funky. But then there's the other version with Skepta who truly raps. Would be interesting to hear what either Mick or Keith have to say in regards to Keith not participating and set the record straight. Will Keith bash it as he is known to do? Or will he take the high road and give Mick his blessings.

Have to say while listening to Getta Grip this very minute there's something catchy about the groove of this tune...would be cool to have an instrumental and/or heavy dub version reggae style with full blown reverb, echo, etc.
The remixes that are available don't really alter the official version as much as they could have, but nice to have multiple choices anyways for a song like this.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1805
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home