Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 61
Re: "Mick Jagger" video shoot in London - "Gotta Get a Grip"?
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 28, 2017 04:38

georgelicks
Both are fun and groove songs with some tongue in cheek and political content, a classic "Mick without the Stones" stuff.

Nowadays, with Youtube and Spotify, he can release a couple of singles each year if he wants, the whole 2013-2016 period with loads of demos written and ZERO release was a waste of time, IMO.

DAMN STRAIGHT with that assessment.

Date: July 28, 2017 04:39

bitusa2012
BOTH sound like a new version of Undercover to me.

The entire album!? Yer right on a lot of aspects.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 28, 2017 04:55

My 2 tunes are
GGAG (Alok Remix)
England Lost (feat. Skepta)
thumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 28, 2017 04:59

Both tracks are great/+ clever lyrics. I would definitely buy an MJ album with this kind of tracks.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: July 28, 2017 05:06

So...
Two NEW songs...
Multiple remixes of those two NEW songs...
And at least 3 videos...
CD singles, Vinyl and T-Shirts on sale...
All in one day.

Why isn't this on the NEWS page of IORR?
Sticky maybe?
This is big.

Lyric Video:
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-28 05:08 by Kurt.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 28, 2017 05:15

Wow how exciting! I've been out of the loop here. Listening right now. Thanks for link! Here goes...

Date: July 28, 2017 05:17

That guy has too much money. His mind is mush.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 28, 2017 05:18

"Do you mean GGAG because I don't know what GGaG is."

Let me dumb it down a little for you GasLightStreet, the clue is in the title of the thread - pay attention to the capitalisation.

Also, where is your question mark?

(If you're going to be a pedant about grammar, punctuation and usage, be very careful in the construction of your posts)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-28 05:27 by peoplewitheyes.

Date: July 28, 2017 05:25

OK there's a lot of mixes of EL, I can skip that for now (forever)...there are two?
A link? Here goes.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 28, 2017 05:29

GasLightStreet
bitusa2012
BOTH sound like a new version of Undercover to me.

The entire album!? Yer right on a lot of aspects.

No...sorry...just the SONG

Rod

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 28, 2017 05:31

Bitusa, you're about to get told (by, ahem, 'someone') that the song is called 'Undercover of the Night'

Just wait for it...

Date: July 28, 2017 05:38

Likin' the drum sound. ...

...ok....

shootin' from the hip....

getting into it...

not gonna slam it...

...movin' groove...

hypnotic rhythm; seems monotomous but still compelling; lots of words...
...i like it...

i mean taking it on it's own merits, it's own proscenium...not comparing to others...lets see.,..

kinda wish it would sort of break-out in the OH YEAHHH reprise...

nother verse...like the tude...
...ok it's gotta go somewhere or stop...

something needs to pop out of this...
...sorta one dimensional after awhile tho...

just a first taste; i'll try again...
first impressions are lasting ones?
if that's true it's not a major thing I don't think, nor something to particular take to heart, tho I'd like to really....

oh EL on auto-play no no...hold on....

jeeze...no....

u know Grip really makes me miss Michael Jackson. I"m gonna try to find that duet...

pretty much the same deal...

I heard 3 Van Morrison songs today. It sorta saved my life...
Cast my memory back there, Lord,
Sometime I'm overcome thinking about...

then Tore Down ala Rimbaud...I was upset all day and last night about stuff...
I was just trying to calm down on the Boulevard. Some guy had a sign about some kinda crap blasting stuff off a little battery-powered amp outside...
...Bright Side of The Road came on too.
..not even his bestest most premiere stuff all things considered, imo anyway...

but....

Is that him on harmonica? Cause that solo has such feel...
smooth...i like it. listening now....
it's gonna be ok...

Posted by: 2120Joe ()
Date: July 28, 2017 05:54

Thanks Mick! I always enjoy your music!

Date: July 28, 2017 06:04

peoplewitheyes
Bitusa, you're about to get told (by, ahem, 'someone') that the song is called 'Undercover of the Night'

Just wait for it...

You better GGaG, man.

Date: July 28, 2017 06:05

peoplewitheyes

Just wait for it...

Seriously, if you think about it, the album works considering the production.

Date: July 28, 2017 07:29

georgelicks
Both are fun and groove songs with some tongue in cheek and political content, a classic "Mick without the Stones" stuff.

Nowadays, with Youtube and Spotify, he can release a couple of singles each year if he wants, the whole 2013-2016 period with loads of demos written and ZERO release was a waste of time, IMO.

*I have a suggestion for any future releases:
Please allow a pre-order/ not a surprise a.m. release day where the anticipating/ loyal fans have been waiting, get sprung the music on an inconvenient time space, and it's not immediately available on preferred listening format.
Example- a segment of fans who would have preferred to have their first listen on vinyl, preordered, arriving on release date.
Not all of us stream.

Re: Mick Jagger - "Gotta Get A Grip"/"England Lost"
Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: July 28, 2017 08:07

bye bye johnny
Mick Jagger Gets Political, Addresses U.K. 'Anxiety' on Two New Songs

‘’We obviously have a lot of problems," Rolling Stones singer says of "England Lost" and "Gotta Get a Grip." "So am I politically optimistic? … No"

By Jon Blistein

Mick Jagger unveiled two politically charged new songs, "England Lost" and "Get a Grip." The Rolling Stones singer said he penned the tracks in response to the "anxiety [and] unknowability of the changing political situation." He added, "We obviously have a lot of problems. So am I politically optimistic? … No."

"England Lost" boasts a bluesy breakbeat and finds Jagger recounting the story of a disappointing soccer match, which serves as an analogy for this "difficult moment in our history." He continued, "It's about the unknowability about where you are and the feeling of insecurity. That's how I was feeling when I was writing. It's obviously got a fair amount of humor because I don't like anything too on the nose but it's also got a sense of vulnerability of where we are as a country."

The noir-style video for "England Lost" follows a jittery businessman who discovers he's being followed after leaving work. A chase ensues as the man runs through London then out into the countryside where things get even weirder. The man is hit by a bicyclist, then a car, then dashes into the ocean where he's apprehended by two men who drag him ashore. The townspeople surround him and a little girl tells him flat out, "Pull yourself together."

"Gotta Get a Grip," is a grittier dance rock tune, though it too has a sinister edge. The video is set in an opulent nightclub where extravagance and excess reach a boiling point and explode into chaos while Jagger rails against everything from greed to xenophobia. "Everybody's stuffing their pockets, everybody's on tape," he sneers. "The news is all fake/ Let 'em eat chicken and let 'em eat steak/ Let 'em eat shit, let 'em eat cake."

Of the track, Jagger said, "The message I suppose is – despite all those things that are happening, you gotta get on with your own life, be yourself and attempt to create your own destiny."

Jagger said he wrote "Gotta Get A Grip" and "England Lost" in April and chose to release them as standalone tracks rather than waiting to put them on a full album. "It's always refreshing to get creative in a different fashion and I feel a slight throwback to a time when you could be a bit more free and easy by recording on the hoof and putting it out there immediately," he said. "I didn't want to wait until next year when these two tracks might lose any impact and mean nothing."

Jagger also spoke about his current musical tastes, noting he'll often make playlists filled with recommendations from young family members with old favorites. "I listen to R&B and pop and strange mixes of old and new and then like everyone I make my own random playlists," he said. "The last things I added to a list were Kendrick Lamar, Skepta, Mozart, Howlin’ Wolf, Tame Impala, obscure Prince tracks and classic soul stuff from The Valentine Brothers. I really like Kendrick Lamar; he’s also talking about discontent and he really nailed it. I thought his stuff, and what [British rapper] Skepta is doing, are very interesting and pretty much on the button.’" Skepta will appear on a "reimagined" version of "England Lost."

[www.rollingstone.com]

I remember when Jagger was a notoriously difficult person to interview – disinterested, guarded, flip and sometimes downright rude...the way the guy who wrote Brown Sugar should I suppose. These days his interviews are almost painfully earnest...and his songs suck.

Actually, the nice thing about the new songs – the only nice thing – is that the rapping effectively cures his nasality.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 28, 2017 08:28

like them or not, a lot or little. i like what I hear from Mick, words froma sparkle of creativity and strive to put out new music freely that one could fear had long gone and dead. anyway, bravo mick

Re: Mick Jagger - "Gotta Get A Grip"/"England Lost"
Date: July 28, 2017 08:43

Swayed1967

Jagger said "It's always refreshing to get creative in a different fashion and I feel a slight throwback to a time when you could be a bit more free and easy by recording on the hoof and putting it out there immediately," he said. "

It's a pity it seems The Stones can't record this way any more. Year(s) go by whilst they are in the studios "working" on tracks instead of just bloody recording and putting them out...but THEY'VE got time, apparently. I know I am getting older, turned 63 just last week. I'D like some NEW Stones music before I cark it...

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-28 08:44 by bitusa2012.

Date: July 28, 2017 08:46

peoplewitheyes

Just wait for it...

If we're going to be so pedantic...it's NOT called

"Undercover Of the Night" - it's

"Undercover (Of the Night)"

Rod

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 28, 2017 09:02

bitusa2012
peoplewitheyes

Just wait for it...

Dunno, I remember seeing it as "Undercover (Of The Night)" somewhere, with a capital "T", for what it's worth...

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 28, 2017 10:33

retired_dog
bitusa2012
peoplewitheyes

Just wait for it...

Dunno, I remember seeing it as "Undercover (Of The Night)" somewhere, with a capital "T", for what it's worth...

Posted by: stonesmuziekfan ()
Date: July 28, 2017 10:36

Listen to these songs

[www.usatoday.com]

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: July 28, 2017 10:57

I listened to all of them last night with the amp in the max, great funky beats, MJ vocals and harmonica, Kevin Parkers "Gotta Get A Grip" is my favourite of the two songs for outstanding guitar parts.

Mick interview, talkshow about his single and Stones recording!
Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: July 28, 2017 01:47

Luister naar 'Premiere: Mick Jagger - "England Lost (feat. Skepta)"' van Zane Lowe op @AppleMusic.
[itunes.apple.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-28 01:48 by Christiaan.

Re: Mick interview, talkshow about his single and Stones recording!
Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: July 28, 2017 02:04

Mick saying here that he has only had a few sessions in the studio with just Keith so far.
This new Stones album really is far from finished.
At least Mick sounded upbeat about working with Keith, don't write these guys off yet, it can still happen, they can still be great again together.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 28, 2017 04:39

stone4ever
Mick saying here that he has only had a few sessions in the studio with just Keith so far.
At least Mick sounded upbeat about working with Keith, don't write these guys off yet, it can still happen, they can still be great again together.

Can you give a quote as I don't have time or patience to listen to entire interview.
Thanks. thumbs up

Date: July 28, 2017 04:53

Hairball
stone4ever

Can you give a quote as I don't have time or patience to listen to entire interview.
Thanks. thumbs up

'had 3-4 sessions' 'all new music' 'want to get it right' 'producer Don Was, did our last 3 records'
that's it.

Date: July 28, 2017 06:44

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

"...bla bla bla...we went to this game and uh, it was grite. i wuz thinkin' wyy nott ya knoww. yeh keith, he's quite a guy inneee? yeh we cut some stuff, w the same producer ya know? his name was Don heh heh...still is innit? yeh The Stones are gonna record some stuff; we recorded some stuff in the past...in the studio we did...it was a record, actually there was more than one; a whole bunch of them actually, I can hardly remember a lot of that game, we had good seats tho...yeh Keith...The Stones yeh...well, this is my new single. I wrote it and worked with this guy, yeh, he's really got something I think I wanted to put down this track and yeh I think well The Stones, you know, they are a big job they are and this i smy new single yeh well The Stones have been recording last year some sessions with Don Was, he produced several albums for us you know...he produced them. They are Stones records that he produced, this new single was....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-28 06:51 by hopkins.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 28, 2017 07:27

Thanks 35love and hopkins...I get the picture - same old B.S.!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1797
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home