Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5253545556575859606162...LastNext
Current Page: 57 of 82
Re: The Rolling Stones European Tour 2017
Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: June 14, 2017 11:28

DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72
Nate
There may be technically better singers but Jagger is a true global megastar he's got the whole package and some.The kind of talent that doesn't come around very often.
Make the most of this band whilst they are still around and realise how fortunate you are to be around at the same time as them.
Soon all any of us will have are the records,films,books and memories.
I doubt any of us will be seeing a band like this again in our lifetimes.

Nate

I think one of the sub-texts here is that at least for some of us for whom the band has become a shadow of itself all we have NOW "are the records, films, books and memories."

I've always maintained it's possible to love what the band has done and to hate what they've become. There are writers and artists and actors whose early work has enthralled me ... and whose later stuff is eminently forgettable. Same with the Stones. Doesn't mean I don't think they are one of the greatest pop acts ever.

The thing (for me) is that when I'm at a Stones-show and get a beautiful rendition of, say, Paint It Black (and, yes, that happens more often than not) – I'm not thinking about whether is was performed superiorly at the 1967 euro tour or not – I'm just enjoying the magic within the music of my favourite band.

Hats off to the fans who can't hear even the slightest bit of this magic anymore. They must either have extremely developed musical and/or hearing skills or simply have decided that this svcks no matter what they'll do smiling smiley

thumbs up

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: June 14, 2017 12:56

odean73
Mick is a brilliant singer.

Let's take age into this ffs.

There are a lot of singers out there that keep their voices into old age, Keith Richards voice for instance has got better.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: June 14, 2017 13:15

No that is not true. Keith still sings well, probably better than in 2007. But his voice in 1988 for example was much stronger and had a wider range...

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 14, 2017 13:28

Thommie
DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72
Nate
There may be technically better singers but Jagger is a true global megastar he's got the whole package and some.The kind of talent that doesn't come around very often.
Make the most of this band whilst they are still around and realise how fortunate you are to be around at the same time as them.
Soon all any of us will have are the records,films,books and memories.
I doubt any of us will be seeing a band like this again in our lifetimes.

Nate

I think one of the sub-texts here is that at least for some of us for whom the band has become a shadow of itself all we have NOW "are the records, films, books and memories."

I've always maintained it's possible to love what the band has done and to hate what they've become. There are writers and artists and actors whose early work has enthralled me ... and whose later stuff is eminently forgettable. Same with the Stones. Doesn't mean I don't think they are one of the greatest pop acts ever.

The thing (for me) is that when I'm at a Stones-show and get a beautiful rendition of, say, Paint It Black (and, yes, that happens more often than not) – I'm not thinking about whether is was performed superiorly at the 1967 euro tour or not – I'm just enjoying the magic within the music of my favourite band.

Hats off to the fans who can't hear even the slightest bit of this magic anymore. They must either have extremely developed musical and/or hearing skills or simply have decided that this svcks no matter what they'll do smiling smiley

thumbs up

..Wáy to put it, Dandy.
I for one will be proud to be in the same arena and/or stadium as you, when the band is playing. smoking smiley
And let's not worry about these others:
they'll be in their basement rooms, ... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 14, 2017 17:18

tickets for the shows in Germany are again available at eventim.de

Date: June 14, 2017 18:12

MonkeyMan2000
No that is not true. Keith still sings well, probably better than in 2007. But his voice in 1988 for example was much stronger and had a wider range...

I have to disagree with that, Keiths voice on Main Offender was better than on TIC and Keiths voice on Crosseyed Heart was better than Main Offender . To my ears anyway. His voice has got richer I think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-14 18:14 by stone4ever.

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: June 14, 2017 18:22

stone4ever
MonkeyMan2000

I have to disagree with that, Keiths voice on Main Offender was better than on TIC and Keiths voice on Crosseyed Heart was better than Main Offender . To my ears anyway. His voice has got richer I think.

All are studios albums, he can rework and rework all the time he needs to keep the perfect version. The real voice is at the gigs. Many guys have nearly the same voice than they were young!

Date: June 14, 2017 18:30

OK you guys got me all excited again, trying to get a ticket to see them later today . It's probably the last chance I will ever get. it's going to be great thin voice or not. smileys with beer

Date: June 14, 2017 18:34

ouroux58
stone4ever
MonkeyMan2000

All are studios albums, he can rework and rework all the time he needs to keep the perfect version. The real voice is at the gigs. Many guys have nearly the same voice than they were young!

Is this how Mick achieved such a great vocal on Blue And Lonesome.
BTW I thought Keith was singing better than ever live winking smiley

Date: June 14, 2017 19:04

Sorry posted on the wrong thread

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-14 19:23 by stone4ever.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 14, 2017 20:25

DandelionPowderman

That's really what it's all about DP; if you still get jazzed when hearing The Stones today, then more power to you!

When in the presence of fandom, I sometimes feel like a variation on the child in Hans Christian Anderson's "The Emperor's New Clothes:" "But they're not playing anything!"

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: June 14, 2017 22:05

stone4ever
ouroux58
stone4ever
MonkeyMan2000

Is this how Mick achieved such a great vocal on Blue And Lonesome.
BTW I thought Keith was singing better than ever live winking smiley

Well I think he couldn't sing Big Enough in the same octave these days. And remember, before his second voice break (late seventies?) he could sing way higher, resulting in those classic harmony vocals. He isn't able to do that these days. But I agree with you his voice still sounds wonderful when he is singing in a comfortable key.

We're drifting away from the topic, I'm sorry.

Date: June 14, 2017 22:37

Agreed MonkeyMan2000 thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-15 09:03 by stone4ever.

Posted by: sister ()
Date: June 14, 2017 22:54

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-15 05:50 by sister.

Date: June 15, 2017 00:09

Dont think so

Just a normal vote from the olympia 2003 dvd

Date: June 15, 2017 08:03

LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman

That's really what it's all about DP; if you still get jazzed when hearing The Stones today, then more power to you!

When in the presence of fandom, I sometimes feel like a variation on the child in Hans Christian Anderson's "The Emperor's New Clothes:" "But they're not playing anything!"

Andersen winking smiley

Not sure if you knew that my name was Andersson, when you did that analogy - and thought my experience was as far-fetched as a fairy tale, hehe

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-15 10:22 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 15, 2017 17:12

DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman

Andersen winking smiley

Not sure if you knew that my name was Andersson, when you did that analogy - and thought my experience was as far-fetched as a fairy tale, hehe

Sorry, autocorrected Andersen to Anderson.

Did not know about your name, DP. Hey, are you that guy in Abba?

Posted by: rrronnie ()
Date: June 15, 2017 22:16

slewan
tickets for the shows in Germany are again available at eventim.de
Thanks a lot, slewan. Got brilliant seats in A3 for Hamburg and Munich right now!!!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 16, 2017 09:44

DandelionPowderman
I'm just enjoying the magic within the music of my favourite band.

That's it

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: June 17, 2017 10:01

LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman

You're wasting your breath Mike , Free The Stones.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: June 20, 2017 21:11

Here's a thought - getting back to the upcoming tour. Have they ever opened w. Street Fighting Man? Might be a good choice, and something different than SMU/JJF. 'Cause summer's here and the time is right...

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: June 20, 2017 21:54

DEmerson
Here's a thought - getting back to the upcoming tour. Have they ever opened w. Street Fighting Man? Might be a good choice, and something different than SMU/JJF. 'Cause summer's here and the time is right...

Not for a while, at least. Good choice - though seasonally inappropriate in September/October. The "fighting in the streets" bit might work for their 2018 tour of Venezuela.

Date: June 20, 2017 22:00

DEmerson

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: June 20, 2017 22:13

DandelionPowderman
DEmerson

Yes in 2002 and 2003. It was a powerful opening back then, it would still be decent now.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 20, 2017 22:59

RaiseTheKnife
DandelionPowderman
DEmerson

Yes in 2002 and 2003. It was a powerful opening back then, it would still be decent now.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 21, 2017 01:28

Maybe they will open the gig ,with The Last Time??
jeroen

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: June 21, 2017 04:21

I suppose this short tour will be a tweak of what we have seen recently. Almost the same set list, the same stage with the three LED screens, etc.

For an opener, it would be great if they tried something bold and new. All Down the Line? Hand of Fate?(!) Heartbreaker? Crazy Mama? StarStarer? IORR? Respectable? Rocks Off? Dance Little Sister?

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: June 21, 2017 06:07

@#$%&
hang fire
dance little sister

Posted by: bam ()
Date: June 21, 2017 06:08

Tell Me (you're coming back to me).

They really ought to play it. It's on some greatest hits packages, so many people know it. It's message works. And it would honor bv!

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: June 21, 2017 08:01

The Lantern

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5253545556575859606162...LastNext
Current Page: 57 of 82

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2755
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home