Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...694695696697698699700701702703704Next
Current Page: 701 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: August 12, 2023 23:27

Palace Revolution 2000
We're going to buy the album; it's going to be us, and probably not too many others.

I'm not so sure if it's only the hardcore fans who should be taken into consideration. I may be on the wrong track here, but I think if only the hardcore fans and a few nostalgics had bought Blue & Lonesome, B&L wouldn't have sold so well that it reached top positions in album charts in so many countries. There must have been more buyers than just the hardcore fans. I just have no idea who these others were. --- If anyone did some market research on this, it would be interesting to learn the results.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 12, 2023 23:39

The simplicity yet direct cover art work
attracted so many .... where ever displayedc It stood

The Stones tongue hard at work .......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: August 12, 2023 23:48

Big Al
Could the success of Blue & Lonesome be partly due to a sense that they’re a little more en vogue these day’s? I’ve often felt that, over the last decade, there’s been a growing nostalgia and recognition for and of the Stones. This - in my opinion - wasn’t quite there for the releases of Bridges to Babylon and A Bigger Bang. I think that their 50th anniversary was a turning-point in their popularity, personally.

In a nutshell: I think the Rolling Stones are more popular now, than they were in the mid-2000’s.

There’s some truth in this. Certainly -from a UK perspective- they went from Strolling Bones targets in the press to something akin to national treasure status. Quite right too.

Date: August 13, 2023 00:33

treaclefingers
As a lifelong fan, even I haven't bought the newest live album, GRRR. They've flooded the market with these releases and even if you're of the opinion, 'bring it on', realistically it's hard to get excited about a new release when there is a plethora of releases coming at you all the time, coloured vinyl box sets, boxed singles sets, new SHM catalogue releases, superdeluxe box sets, the live albums. I'm talking since 2009's GYYYO. It's been nonstop. I don't think there is another artist that has had this much material made available.

It's not a complaint, it's great. BUT, supply is clearly exceeding demand at this point. A new album of new material would definitely be viewed differently...with a hit single please.

I think that live releases from "vintage groups/artists" have become a market (or market segment) quite of its own in more recent times. Just consider the tons of live shows that e.g. the Grateful Dead or King Crimson are putting out in the form of box sets or in release series such as Dick/Dave's Picks or the King Crimson Collectors' Club. Obviously they are being bought and generate at least more revenue than the money it cost to produce them. Also the Zappa people have put out quite some live or other hitherto unreleased stuff in recent years. Compared to all that, the Stones' output of live albums looks rather meagre. (Also I'm not sure if Stones fans would buy umpty-CD box sets of a complete tour.)

The difference is, you won't get a New Album of new material from the Grateful Dead, Frank Zappa or (in all likelihood also) King Crimson. But you can still get a new album of new material from the Stones. I, too, think that that's something to be viewed differently.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 13, 2023 06:53

24FPS
ProfessorWolf
Taylor1
drewmaster
Hairball
NilsHolgersson
It could be like Barbenheimer: the release of Taylor Swift and the Rolling Stones new albums in the same week. Fans should listen to both albums back to back. #rollingswift a new viral theme.

Indeed an interesting turn of events in this never ending saga aka the making of the new Stones album...
It seems that either the Stones have to sit it out while Taylor Swift dominates the world, or they attempt a preemptive strike to soften the blow from the Swift onslaught....

The Stones might have done themselves a favor by having Taylor Swift as a special guest on their new album - it could have given them a fighting chance in the charts. If you can't beat 'em, have them join your band.
I'd bet that all the T.Swift fans who are sweeping up her new album would have also picked up the new Stones album just to hear her contribution (s). As a bonus. they might have also become lifelong Stones fans!
As noted earlier, Taylor Swift has performed with The Rolling Stones and Mick Jagger has performed with Taylor Swift. Seems it would have been a win-win situation for both, but even more so for the Stones.
As it stands, it appears the Stones are playing second fiddle to Taylor Swift, and I'm not sure waiting a week or two before or after her release will make much of a difference anyways in the current music climate.

Whatever the case, now back to waiting and wondering what will happen next as the world turns around Taylor Swift.
Hopefully an announcement for the new Stones album next week, otherwise who know what other detours lie ahead.

#rollingswift...smiling smiley

This is truly Taylor Swift's moment. A cultural mega-phenomenon. Check this out:Taylor Swift Unites America

Drew
When I was a teenager in the late1980s, no guy in my school would go to a Taylor Swift Concert.They’d get beat up.It was the Stones, U2, Allman Brothers, Van Halen, Guns and Roses.Ithink she has a huge following of females of all ages

i assure you she has a very large following amongst teenage boys and young men as well

at least that's what i've observed

Well, it was females who got the Beatles off the ground. They were the vast majority at their concerts. I think the first female concert I went to was Linda Ronstadt in 1978. I was embarrassed for my city, but it might have happened elsewhere. Instead of enjoying her as an artist the men whistled and yelled at her like it was a strip club.

they're loss i would kill to see linda ronstadt in concert in 1978 and they wasted they're chance behaving like pigs

as far as swift goes i have two cousins in they're teens who love her two more 5 and 8 who do as well all boys

i also know several men in there 20's who are her fans as well

and on a weird note my 72 year old librarian is a fan and spent a lot of money to see her by herself in seattle and was very happy with her performance

so i guess there's at least some cross generational appeal

Date: August 13, 2023 22:40

ProfessorWolf
and on a weird note my 72 year old librarian is a fan and spent a lot of money to see her by herself in seattle and was very happy with her performance

What has certainly disappeared is the status of rock/pop as the music of teens or young adults only, and the musical generation gap between the younger folk and the parent generation that was still there in the 1970s is gone. Consider that your 72-year-old librarian was in her twenties in the 1970s, so she's already "generation rock/pop".

It also works the other way round. Many young students in my surrounding like Syd-Barrett-era Pink Floyd just as much as some new stuff by people I've never heard of, or the beats of a good DJ. It just seems to me (but this may be a wrong impression) that they are not so much into attending concerts as me and my peers were in our extended youth.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: August 13, 2023 22:55

So, we can hold our breath for a November release?

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 14, 2023 00:24

doitywoik
ProfessorWolf

What has certainly disappeared is the status of rock/pop as the music of teens or young adults only, and the musical generation gap between the younger folk and the parent generation that was still there in the 1970s is gone. Consider that your 72-year-old librarian was in her twenties in the 1970s, so she's already "generation rock/pop".

It also works the other way round. Many young students in my surrounding like Syd-Barrett-era Pink Floyd just as much as some new stuff by people I've never heard of, or the beats of a good DJ. It just seems to me (but this may be a wrong impression) that they are not so much into attending concerts as me and my peers were in our extended youth.

totally agree with you

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 14, 2023 18:56

Big Al
Could the success of Blue & Lonesome be partly due to a sense that they’re a little more en vogue these day’s? I’ve often felt that, over the last decade, there’s been a growing nostalgia and recognition for and of the Stones. This - in my opinion - wasn’t quite there for the releases of Bridges to Babylon and A Bigger Bang. I think that their 50th anniversary was a turning-point in their popularity, personally.

In a nutshell: I think the Rolling Stones are more popular now, than they were in the mid-2000’s.

I completely agree with both of those comments. the years since they re-emerged in 2012 have definitely seen a resurgence in their popularity !

Question is: what now ? The Glimmers are both 80 this year. Charlie is gone. They won't have played live in 2023 (so it would seem) !

Lots of rumours/rumours/rumours/gossip/gossip/gossip relating to this supposed new album, but absolutely nothing of substance/concrete from the band themselves ? For that matter, a deafening silence also over any further live performance plans !?

But as regards "popularity" (& hence "demand") .... yes I'd say it's strong and "still there" - so to say !

Whatever will be will be, but in general terms, I think we're in "last gasp territory" ! Whatever form it eventually takes (if any), may it be good !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-14 20:00 by paulywaul.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: August 14, 2023 21:38

If the album is released in october, which I suppose it will be, then I guess we will have a new single within weeks.

Date: August 15, 2023 05:51

Been digging a bit in IORR's history. Check out this [iorr.org], from 1997:

"According to Ronnie (see interview in this issue), the Stones will try to release a new album every 18 months. Well, even if it takes the double, like 3 years, we can live with it, ..." spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Appears like this kind of spirit/schedule was lost/abandoned soon after ... winking smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 15, 2023 06:18

doitywoik

"According to Ronnie (see interview in this issue), the Stones will try to release a new album every 18 months. Well, even if it takes the double, like 3 years, we can live with it, ..." spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Appears like this kind of spirit/schedule was lost/abandoned soon after ... winking smiley

Interesting find doitywoik.

If that was written today, it would read: "According to Ronnie... the Stones will try to release a new album every 18 years..." eye popping smiley smiling smiley

Date: August 15, 2023 10:22

doitywoik

He said that ? Really !?

Well if that was PLAN A, then er ... wonder what PLAN B is ? Cos' A sure didn't work out !

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 15, 2023 10:27

doitywoik
Palace Revolution 2000
We're going to buy the album; it's going to be us, and probably not too many others.

I'm not so sure if it's only the hardcore fans who should be taken into consideration. I may be on the wrong track here, but I think if only the hardcore fans and a few nostalgics had bought Blue & Lonesome, B&L wouldn't have sold so well that it reached top positions in album charts in so many countries. There must have been more buyers than just the hardcore fans. I just have no idea who these others were. --- If anyone did some market research on this, it would be interesting to learn the results.

Yeah, we can look at what these vaults releases sell to see how far trusting just on hardcore fanbase go. The success of BLUE&LONESOME was something else. I think it was a novel, fresh concept in order to explain why it touched the interest of 'casual fans', and in the case of the Stones, they have potentially a lot of them (the old guard rock fans who still bother buy albums). It was not 'just another Stones album', you know, latest variant of old, way too familiar ideas people were too familiar with to make the albums that exciting, but something else. Besides, the blues album was pretty well constructed, easily digestable representation of good old rhythm music belonging to DNA of rock music. Its success surely was a surprise to anyone involved, but sometimes the mindset of the big audience is not that predictable.

Probably now they might hit the same nerve again, since it's been so long since the latest such a 'just another Stones album', so that rarity value gives it certain distinctiviness in a market (and I am pretty sure they will use this point in marketing the album) 'The good old Stones hitting it again. Some real rock and roll again, and probably for the last time'. Something they so successfully are able to do in concert. But you never know.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-15 11:06 by Doxa.

Date: August 15, 2023 10:36

MadMetaphoricalMax
It's now time to turn this marvelous 700-page thread of speculation, frustration, and incredibly delayed gratification into an e-book - it'll sell like hot cakes. Or at least rock cakes...

Not sure about the marvellous bit, but the speculation and frustration is spot-on !

700 pages of nothing, at least nothing of use if you're looking for information. Gotta be a record ... ?

Maybe the thread title should be changed to "Re: NO info about the new Stones album" ? grinning smiley

Date: August 15, 2023 14:49

paulywaul
doitywoik

He said that ? Really !?

Well if that was PLAN A, then er ... wonder what PLAN B is ? Cos' A sure didn't work out !

Look here [iorr.org] for the respective quote (attributed to an interview in German news magazine FOCUS):

"Asked about the new album, Ronnie states it will be out later this year (September as it seems now), and that they have decided to do a new album every 18 months from now on. These days, the Stones is some sort of an endless experiment... That’s great news, folks!"

Don't forget this is news from 26 years ago, from a time when B2B was still Blessed Poison. I will try to see if the respective FOCUS interview can be found online.

It seems like at that time they were quite enthusiastic about B2B - which in retrospect sounds a bit surprising in view of what we then learned about the rather complicated circumstances under which B2B was recorded. What got in the way of the original plan is most likely the three years of touring after B2B was released.

But it is worthwhile in this connection also to recall that also Keith said in an interview on B2B back then that they recorded so much great material that there would be a follow-up album in 1998, which of course never materialized (we have discussed this in this thread as well as other threads several times over the years). So apparently there was a general idea around among them back then to release more new music in the near future, and Ronnie's statement was not completely off but in line with a general plan shared at least by Keith.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 15, 2023 15:10

I wonder if a Super Deluxe of B2B will ever materialize. What were these complicated circumstances under which it was recorded? Was it just more of the typical Mick-Keef drama?

Date: August 15, 2023 15:12

This here must be the respective FOCUS interview from 1997 (mind you, the new album mentioned in the interview is B2B ):

[www.focus.de]

And here's the relevant passage:

(original German text: )
FOCUS: Wann wird die neue Stones-Platte erscheinen?
Wood: Auf alle Fälle noch in diesem Jahr. Wir haben beschlossen, daß wir ab sofort ungefähr alle 18 Monate eine Platte veröffentlichen wollen, weil wir noch eine Menge Ideen, aber aufgrund unseres Alters nicht mehr so wahnsinnig viel Zeit zur Verfügung haben. Die Stones heute sind eine Art Endlos-Experiment.

(translated to English: )
FOCUS: When will the new Stones record be released?
Wood: Definitely this year. We've decided that we're going to release a record about every 18 months from now on, because we still have a lot of ideas, but because of our age, we don't have that much time left. The Stones today are a kind of endless experiment.

Funny that back then there was a feeling among them that because of their age they wouldn't have so much time left for releasing new music and therefore they didn't want to let too much time pass between albums ... Next time Ronnie is being interviewed, someone should remind him of this interview from 1997 and ask him what went wrong ...

Date: August 15, 2023 15:16

«We don't have that much time left ... » grinning smiley

Date: August 15, 2023 15:24

VoodooLounge13
I wonder if a Super Deluxe of B2B will ever materialize. What were these complicated circumstances under which it was recorded? Was it just more of the typical Mick-Keef drama?

The way I understood it, the typical Mick/Keith drama took on a new dimension when recording B2B, with at some point Mick recording with his own crew and Keith recording with his own.

A super deluxe of B2B would be a very cool - and long overdue - thing. Last year would have been a great opportunity (25 year jubilee of B2cool smiley. The question is just, how much worthwile leftover material from B2B is there left in the vaults. I guess (and so seem to do many more here, the way I remember) that much of it went into ABB and possibly some single b-sides.

Date: August 15, 2023 15:33

doitywoik
VoodooLounge13

The way I understood it, the typical Mick/Keith drama took on a new dimension when recording B2B, with at some point Mick recording with his own crew and Keith recording with his own.

A super deluxe of B2B would be a very cool - and long overdue - thing. Last year would have been a great opportunity (25 year jubilee of B2cool smiley. The question is just, how much worthwile leftover material from B2B is there left in the vaults. I guess (and so seem to do many more here, the way I remember) that much of it went into ABB and possibly some single b-sides.

There is some brilliant stuff on Fully Finished Outtakes that they could use. Sanctuary and Too Tight (with a fiddle!) spring to mind.

Date: August 15, 2023 15:34

DandelionPowderman
«We don't have that much time left ... » grinning smiley

Jeez, from 1997 !? grinning smiley

well if he said that then, wonder what his sentiments are these days !?

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 15, 2023 16:24

doitywoik
VoodooLounge13

what?
I always felt that there are already too many songs on the album that should rather have become outtakes

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 15, 2023 17:36

doitywoik
VoodooLounge13

Well, that's actually not speaking much to what's left then. I don't really hear many similarities between B2B and ABB. Maybe RFD, but that's about it.

Date: August 15, 2023 18:51

DandelionPowderman
doitywoik
VoodooLounge13

There is some brilliant stuff on Fully Finished Outtakes that they could use. Sanctuary and Too Tight (with a fiddle!) spring to mind.

You're right, of course! For some reason I'm always forgetting about the Fully Finished Outtakes. My bad!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 15, 2023 19:00

I wonder who is going to take over the brand when the band is gone? I'm sure they will continue to release vault recordings, re-releases and best of albums (and other stuff) for a long time after that.
But I'm sure Sir Michael already has planned the handover. The brand is a virtual gold mine.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 15, 2023 19:02

doitywoik
VoodooLounge13

Dream About sounds like a forefather to one of Mick's GODDESS songs, perhaps Brand New Set Of Rules. Desperate Man sounds like Anybody Seen My Baby. 20 Nil is way out there. None of these three really grab, though (not that every song on BTB grabs either). I don't recall ever reading about any leftovers being used for ABB.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 15, 2023 19:03

VoodooLounge13

You can read about the making of the album here:

[timeisonourside.com]

Date: August 15, 2023 19:44

Hairball
doitywoik
"... the Stones will try to release a new album every 18 months. ..." spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Interesting find doitywoik.

If that was written today, it would read: "According to Ronnie... the Stones will try to release a new album every 18 years..." eye popping smiley smiling smiley

Yeah, days turn into weeks, weeks turn into months, months turn into years, years turn into ... what actually? The time period between Stones albums? tongue sticking out smiley

VoodooLounge13
Well, that's actually not speaking much to what's left then. I don't really hear many similarities between B2B and ABB. Maybe RFD, but that's about it.

A few years back someone here gave an account of what happened to alleged B2B surplus songs (can't recall whether it was this thread or some other thread), and according to this/these person/s, some of it ended up on ABB etc., but I can't recall which songs exactly. If I happen to dig that thread (or part thereof) out, too, I'll post a link. But I'm not really confident as this was already many years ago.

What's still bugging me after all those years is this follow-up to B2B of which Keith said in 1997 it would be released in 1998. The way I remember the interview, this didn't sound just like some vague idea but rather like the songs were already there. I just would love to know what would have been on that album, according to Keith. -- Why doesn't some interviewer ask him once?
(Of course it would also be interesting to know what Mick would have to say about all this ...)

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 15, 2023 20:00

VoodooLounge13

I wonder if a Super Deluxe of B2B will ever materialize.

There aren't many tracks left for that. See the bootleg here - [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] .

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...694695696697698699700701702703704Next
Current Page: 701 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2348
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home