Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...634635636637638639640641642643644...LastNext
Current Page: 639 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 16, 2023 17:58

Yikes, good one NilsHolgersson.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: April 16, 2023 18:46

NilsHolgersson
Maybe the new album should be called "From the Vault" since they have been recording it for the last 20 years

A potential cause for concern is that the material initially written/recorded for the new album risks sounding dated as soon as it's released. Chinese Democracy suffered from that. Its overlong gestation was almost like a timeline of the music and production styles that had come and gone in the time it took Axl to put the album out. Sonically it was all over the place and lacked consistency.

That's the problem with sitting on a creative project for too long. By the time it hatches any energy and vitality has been long since been snuffed out. Hopefully the Stones are allowing for that and have afforded their producer with the responsibility and trust to reign it all in and deliver a coherent album that doesn't feel like a hodgepodge of random noodlings mashed together.

I'm beyond excited for the album, mind. My concern is that it might feel laboured and straining under the immense weight of expectation and its painfully lengthy incubation.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: April 16, 2023 19:17

Well... ofcourse it's going to sound dated.. it's the Rolling Stones, their albums have been sounding dated since forever.. it's not like people are expecting cutting edge sounds from them like they're Skrillex or Tyler the Creator or anybody. It's for the fans, we want good old rock & roll and blues, and a country song!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 16, 2023 21:15

treaclefingers
Irix
Doxa

As far as I know there are not rumours about any other high profile Stones releases, so one might think that there has been some high hopes for the new album for this year by UMG.

They could also change their plans for the new album and release another "from the vault" instead.

Is there even an urgency to that anymore? We've gotten some great stuff for sure, but another "Bridges to this or that"? The audience for these releases is becoming increasingly small. Micro even. At this point there may be more live albums than studio albums.

Once they figure out when a tour is even possible, I'm hoping they plan the studio release to support that. Before that time if they can throw an advanced single or two that would be welcome as I'm sure we'd love some new material.

What about instead of an album, a series of 4 song EP releases? Something different, easily digestible that can be release with 3 or 4 month gaps up to the tour? Follow that then with a traditional double album for the tour (compiled of the EPs) with some bonus cuts.

There's all sorts of marketing possibilities they can try that would look unique and keep interest piqued and fans intrigued.

EPs ? Marketing plans ? Dunno, I sense something is now "broken". It's a small miracle they kept going after Charlie passed to be honest (the reasons they did have been discussed Ad Nauseam here) but with this year's setback, Mick & Keith turning 80...

Mick made a rare comment last year about "this stuff isn't supposed to be done by a 70 year old". They're reaching a point where they can't keep pretending it's (massive) business as usual, they're going to have to change gears and I'm not sure they have the energy for that or even want to bother. As long as they could keep the massive shows going, albeit in short spurs, I suppose they didn't have to overthink it, but now ?

That "new album" could have been released ahead of each new tour from 2016 to 2022, instead they just kept "working on it"...and raked in the cash with the tours. The longer they waited, the higher the risk they were going to hit a real wall and that time has come.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 16, 2023 21:18

From the tour thread:

mpj200
No decision on the album, but that doesn’t rule out it coming out later this year. But it could also be held until next Spring.

Could still be released some time later this year, but more likely next Spring...2024...with the slim possibility of some live shows in keeping with the original plans of new album/new tour...
But that could end up turning in to 2025 some time...or even 2026...worse case scenario it gets buried in the vaults....

I guess it now goes back to the quote from Mick back in 2021: "Don't hold your breath"...confused smiley eye rolling smiley

But I say never give up hope! 18 years and counting...keep on rolling..............

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 16, 2023 21:30

Hairball
From the tour thread:

mpj200
No decision on the album, but that doesn’t rule out it coming out later this year. But it could also be held until next Spring.

Could still be released some time later this year, but more likely next Spring...2024...with the slim possibility of some live shows in keeping with the original plans of new album/new tour...
But that could end up turning in to 2025 some time...or even 2026...worse case scenario it gets buried in the vaults....

I guess it now goes back to the quote from Mick back in 2021: "Don't hold your breath"...confused smiley eye rolling smiley

But I say never give up hope! 18 years and counting...keep on rolling..............

Sadly at this point, there are no 'done deals'. Enjoy the time we have left, whatever that may bring.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: April 16, 2023 21:49

treaclefingers
Sadly at this point, there are no 'done deals'. Enjoy the time we have left, whatever that may bring.

Yes, we all have an expiry date, lets enjoy life while we still can.
Can't really complain after the covid tour, they gave a lot.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: April 16, 2023 22:00

Hairball

2026? What are you talking about?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-16 22:01 by Topi.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 16, 2023 22:21

NilsHolgersson
Well... ofcourse it's going to sound dated.. it's the Rolling Stones, their albums have been sounding dated since forever.. it's not like people are expecting cutting edge sounds from them like they're Skrillex or Tyler the Creator or anybody. It's for the fans, we want good old rock & roll and blues, and a country song!

But there's the lyrics...

Mick has been known to keep his finger on the pulse of current events (for better or worse) with some of his lyrics on tunes such as Living in a Ghost Town, Easy Sleazy, Gotta Getta Grip, England Lost, etc., etc., etc. that would seem completely out of place and outdated if released now. I suppose he could either quickly rewrite, replace, and/or edit and revise certain tunes considering how prolific he is, and the fact he has added new lyrics and vocals to decades old tunes from the vault (Plundered for example), but that could add on a couple more years to this work "in progress" aka the supposed new album. If this is the case, thinking it could all be done in 2024 (best case scenario), maybe 2025, and possibly even as late as 2026. Or again, worse case scenario....it will never see the light of day. But there's still hope for this year....thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-16 22:22 by Hairball.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: April 16, 2023 22:21

gotdablouse
EPs ? Marketing plans ? Dunno, I sense something is now "broken". It's a small miracle they kept going after Charlie passed to be honest (the reasons they did have been discussed Ad Nauseam here) but with this year's setback, Mick & Keith turning 80...

Mick made a rare comment last year about "this stuff isn't supposed to be done by a 70 year old". They're reaching a point where they can't keep pretending it's (massive) business as usual, they're going to have to change gears and I'm not sure they have the energy for that or even want to bother. As long as they could keep the massive shows going, albeit in short spurs, I suppose they didn't have to overthink it, but now ?

That "new album" could have been released ahead of each new tour from 2016 to 2022, instead they just kept "working on it"...and raked in the cash with the tours. The longer they waited, the higher the risk they were going to hit a real wall and that time has come.

You may be right, but I sense your perspective is biased by the glass is half empty. Optimistically...recordings will be released and if health permits, live performances will happen. Maybe a surprise show in Dartford ?

Date: April 16, 2023 23:05

Half-empty ? At this point the glass is completely empty with nothing on the horizon...apart from a new album that may or not be ready and that they don't know what do with.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 16, 2023 23:09

The world has changed massively......

The $$$$ are tight ... There'll be an album and they'll be back

Keef the faith .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: April 17, 2023 02:04

Blue and Lonesome was released in December 2016, but they didn't tour until 9 months later.

No tour this year could be a new scenario, a good one actually: they could promote the new album actively with interviews on radio/tv/streaming sites during various months, videos or even acoustic performances of the new songs, all kind of activity, but different from the endless boring touring warhorses method of the last decades.

Taylor Swift just went on tour this year after almost 5 years, she released 3 or 4 new albums in the meantime, and she's only on her 30's, its not all about touring.

Sadly the Stones tours are harder to make with each year pass, too many problems for people over 80 years age, but they could still perform and be there on the radar.

Date: April 17, 2023 04:12

I remember there was a lot of hype about Blue and Lonesome online since it was talked about on interviews from December 2015 to December 2016. The promotions went in crescendo, the new teasers and interviews came out, then a Christmas release. So this time-frame can work very well with the new album too

Blue and Lonesome Official Teasers [justpaste.it]

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: April 17, 2023 09:43

Rockman
The world has changed massively......

The $$$$ are tight ... There'll be an album and they'll be back

Keef the faith .....

Keefing the faith, keefing the faith grinning smiley

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: April 17, 2023 09:49

Fact is, that yet another compilation/greatest hits/re-issue/from the vaults just won't tick the box for most of us anymore, they're running out of road there. So I personally hope that we do duly get the much talked-about new album, and that it's a f***ing peach - so to say !

Date: April 17, 2023 10:06

paulywaul
Fact is, that yet another compilation/greatest hits/re-issue/from the vaults just won't tick the box for most of us anymore, they're running out of road there. So I personally hope that we do duly get the much talked-about new album, and that it's a f***ing peach - so to say !

And then, after coming out with a true peach of a final album, and maybe touring behind it one last time, they could hang up their boots with smug smiles on their faces, secure in the knowledge that they've broken just about every record worth breaking, lasted longer than anyone (including themselves) could ever have imagined, and that there's never been anything like 'em - and likely never will be again !

When they finally do bow out ... "Ladies and Gentlemen, that was the Rolling Stones"

And what a journey it was ! WOW !

Posted by: sandandglue ()
Date: April 17, 2023 10:42

It’s a nice idea but like Dylan, like Macca, like Young, there are no retirement plans I hasten to guess. Doing what they goes all down the line.
Doing it for the kids (Their own.)

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 17, 2023 10:54

paulywaul
And then, after coming out with a true peach of a final album, and maybe touring behind it one last time, they could hang up their boots with smug smiles on their faces, secure in the knowledge that they've broken just about every record worth breaking, lasted longer than anyone (including themselves) could ever have imagined, and that there's never been anything like 'em - and likely never will be again !

When they finally do bow out ... "Ladies and Gentlemen, that was the Rolling Stones"

One of the reasons I am, indeed, not at all eager for yet another Stones album is that it makes the chance of getting one more Keith Richards' solo album even smaller.

Date: April 17, 2023 11:07

As Stones fans, each and every one of us probably has a wish to see them end their run in some particular way or other ....

I'm happy to take whatever they'll give us from this point onwards. The only thing I really do hope for is that they don't end up pushing it too far and becoming a bit of a sad spectacle. There have been countless examples in the music business of artists having done that, I just hope that the mighty Rolling Stones do not go down that same road. Leaving a business at the top of one's game is surely the better way to bow out .... ?

Anyway, whatever .... what will be will be !

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 17, 2023 11:34

frankotero

Maybe I'm off target but I always felt both Chuck Berry and David Bowie were somehow pleased they weren't around to know the reception of their last work.

Yeah, they’d much rather be dead.

What an absolute nonsense

Rod

Date: April 17, 2023 11:40

georgelicks
Blue and Lonesome was released in December 2016, but they didn't tour until 9 months later.

No tour this year could be a new scenario, a good one actually: they could promote the new album actively with interviews on radio/tv/streaming sites during various months, videos or even acoustic performances of the new songs, all kind of activity, but different from the endless boring touring warhorses method of the last decades.

Taylor Swift just went on tour this year after almost 5 years, she released 3 or 4 new albums in the meantime, and she's only on her 30's, its not all about touring.

Sadly the Stones tours are harder to make with each year pass, too many problems for people over 80 years age, but they could still perform and be there on the radar.

That could work if the album is strong enough and sells enough (how much ?) for them not to be embarrassed but as you wrote many times, "vintage" acts don't sell/stream anymore, all they can do is hype the release, issue 50 different variations that will be picked up by the diehards, and get a one week high placement and then it's quickly down the drain. With a tour right behind it, poor reviews or sales don't really matter and unlike B&L that was a covers album their reputation would really be on the line there. Are they going to risk it ? Is it worth the effort ?

--------------

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: April 17, 2023 13:24

gotdablouse
georgelicks

That could work if the album is strong enough and sells enough (how much ?) for them not to be embarrassed but as you wrote many times, "vintage" acts don't sell/stream anymore, all they can do is hype the release, issue 50 different variations that will be picked up by the diehards, and get a one week high placement and then it's quickly down the drain. With a tour right behind it, poor reviews or sales don't really matter and unlike B&L that was a covers album their reputation would really be on the line there. Are they going to risk it ? Is it worth the effort ?

yes it would be

it doesn't matter what they do now there reputation and legacy only matters between 1962-1981 for the general public anything after that won't really affect them now or in the future

the only people almost who'll buy the new album will be us hardcore fans and frankly i think they know and count on that

casual fans the ones who pack those stadiums and line there pockets only listen to and own greatest hits compilations

and if they weren't tempted to buy any of the new albums from the last 30 or 40 years why would they be suddenly moved to now?

i feel they at some level intend this album for us hardcore fans who have stuck with them for 60 years thru thick and thin and stagnant unchanging warhorse laden setlists and nearly 20 years of waiting for a new album of originals that in reality only we were calling for

and of course for themselves too

i'm sure they'd love if this became a surprise hit album and will do there best to insure that happens

but i'm also sure they have a realistic understanding about what most likely to expect

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: April 17, 2023 16:25

I don't really see how not touring affects and album launch in 2023. For a band like the Stones. Tours don't sell albums anymore and the Stones don't need new material to sell tickets either...

But new material will create a buzz around the Stones and their back catalogue, merchandise ect..

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: April 17, 2023 18:22

The should do five shows in a club in London. Perform the album live in its entirety like sticky fingers show. Release a live blu ray separately when album comes out with the best version of each song Also do a Netflix doc on the making of it. I say saturate the market if you’re not touring

Posted by: dkwalika ()
Date: April 17, 2023 18:42

Bashlets
The should do five shows in a club in London. Perform the album live in its entirety like sticky fingers show. Release a live blu ray separately when album comes out with the best version of each song Also do a Netflix doc on the making of it. I say saturate the market if you’re not touring

I love this idea.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 17, 2023 20:25

matxil
paulywaul

One of the reasons I am, indeed, not at all eager for yet another Stones album is that it makes the chance of getting one more Keith Richards' solo album even smaller.

Strange that the longer it takes, people discover more and more reasons why the Stones better not release a new album at all, but this tops it all!

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: April 17, 2023 22:09

does anyone here have a connection with the label?
is it the label or is it the stones..deciding the release
date?
how long does it take from product to release
is there a plan in place?is there a test group for an album?
can the new music be attached to a movie or tv show?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 17, 2023 23:38

Just release it. They got nothing else. They don't have to run out and promote it to sell vinyl discs, where the real money was. If some member of the group is in lesser physical shape, it can be hidden in a video or two. And if a tour doesn't happen immediately, so what? If there are any standout tracks, it will be new to audiences.

Yes, another greatest hits package, or recent live show, is pointless. It's been done to death. Unless they've got something from the '76 tour ready to go, a new album is all they've got to keep them in the news.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 18, 2023 01:12

retired_dog
matxil
paulywaul

Strange that the longer it takes, people discover more and more reasons why the Stones better not release a new album at all, but this tops it all!

That in fact does take the cake!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...634635636637638639640641642643644...LastNext
Current Page: 639 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2086
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home