Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...629630631632633634635636637638639...LastNext
Current Page: 634 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: April 4, 2023 17:01

DandelionPowderman

Time to mow the lawn, Mick!

I’m not sure, but this lawn seems to me a photo of a place in the Netherlands were he and Melanie stayed for tour rehearsels last year before the 60 tour smoking smiley

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: April 4, 2023 17:02

Maybe this was already mentioned 50 pages ago.

If they were ready to announce the tour back in mid-Feb, before cancelling, would they have had the new LP title and some graphics ready as well? Or would they have held off on naming the tour after the album?

Maybe now they can and will name the tour with the LP title (whenever it happens).

HBK

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: April 4, 2023 17:57

Christiaan
DandelionPowderman

I’m not sure, but this lawn seems to me a photo of a place in the Netherlands were he and Melanie stayed for tour rehearsels last year before the 60 tour smoking smiley

Schoorl !

Date: April 4, 2023 23:10

Lien
Christiaan
DandelionPowderman

Schoorl !

Carolien, natuurlijk weet jij het antwoord. Maar je woont ook in de buurt. Je wist toen waar hij was toch? spinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmiling bouncing smiley

Date: April 4, 2023 23:13

SCHOORL

DiegoGlimmerStones
From TikTok @jagger

"Proof that not everything can be an album cover"

#albumcover #albumcovertrend

[www.tiktok.com]

SCHOORL

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 5, 2023 00:25

Mick wrote Brown Sugar in outback
Australia with kangaroos watching ....

now its the sheeps turn ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: April 5, 2023 01:33

WorriedAboutYou
Yes unleash the hounds already! I'm so over waiting for this, just release the damn thing! HUNGRY.

They are not going to release the album until the end of September at least, the market for old bands is almost non-existent and the only way to generate some buzz and semi-decent sales is to wait until the fall season when sales pick up around Thanksgiving/Christmas.

Releasing the album now (or during the summer) is a waste that Universal is not going to do, we will see months of hype, vinyl pre-sales with months in advance, all kinds of tricks to maximize the momentum so this whole situation will go for a long 2023.

An example of this is the release of the latest albums by U2 or Depeche Mode, both cases only from the last 2 weeks: U2's debuted at #5 on the charts and completely disappeared from the Top 200 in the second week, Depeche Mode's could only reach #14 (their first album that hasn't reached the Top 10 since 1990) and will also go out the following week.

Universal will do everything possible to avoid suffering the same fate.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 5, 2023 03:16

If the Stones go on tour this year (which seems a big IF at this point), they could give away a free CD for every ticket sold. That old trick has worked well for many bands to increase sales, and I recall David Gilmour doing rather well in a variety of charts due to these giveaways back in 2015. I still have a couple of unopened cd's that have been gathering dust ever since. It was a good tour, but a mediocre cd, though his strategy earned him bragging rights I suppose. That being, said, I seriously doubt the Stones would give anything away for free, unless they increase the ticket prices to make up the loss. Just hoping 2023 will finally see some new Stones music - even just a single tune! If push came to shove, rather than seeing a same old tour, I'd much rather see a brand new album at this point...it's been a long time coming...18 years and counting.............

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: April 5, 2023 03:33

Let's just hope the album is not called "Zip Code" or "No Filter."

Posted by: Tubeman ()
Date: April 5, 2023 04:01

Anyone pick up that the Jazzmaster Mick is playing , is modified the same way as Robert Smiths Jazzmaster ,

[www.offsetguitars.com]

Link to guitar is above

Its not that common to modify them this way, so Mick might have got the idea from The Cure guitar sound

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 5, 2023 04:04

How about Who's Ready?

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: April 5, 2023 05:52

smoking smiley

Date: April 5, 2023 06:56

HouseBoyKnows
Maybe this was already mentioned 50 pages ago.

If they were ready to announce the tour back in mid-Feb, before cancelling, would they have had the new LP title and some graphics ready as well? Or would they have held off on naming the tour after the album?

Maybe now they can and will name the tour with the LP title (whenever it happens).

HBK

I think that this is a similar scenario to A Bigger Bang back in 2005. The Stones announced the tour on May 10th and after that they mixed the album during the month of June, 2 months later the album came out (Sept 6th). I have noticed that their most recent albums have been released approx. 2 months after the mixing stage [www.timeisonourside.com]. They probably could have planned to announce ther tour on February 17th to then mix the album in March, release in early June. This time it would be an announcement on May 19th, mixing in June and release in early September for example

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: April 5, 2023 21:56

i am hoping the album is called... threesome.something worth waiting for
i know..i got nothing....

Date: April 6, 2023 00:18

Please dont consider a future in advertisement

ROCKMAN

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: April 6, 2023 04:01

Isn't bad advertising good advertising too? winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-06 04:01 by doitywoik.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 6, 2023 08:10

georgelicks
WorriedAboutYou
Yes unleash the hounds already! I'm so over waiting for this, just release the damn thing! HUNGRY.

They are not going to release the album until the end of September at least, the market for old bands is almost non-existent and the only way to generate some buzz and semi-decent sales is to wait until the fall season when sales pick up around Thanksgiving/Christmas.

Releasing the album now (or during the summer) is a waste that Universal is not going to do, we will see months of hype, vinyl pre-sales with months in advance, all kinds of tricks to maximize the momentum so this whole situation will go for a long 2023.

An example of this is the release of the latest albums by U2 or Depeche Mode, both cases only from the last 2 weeks: U2's debuted at #5 on the charts and completely disappeared from the Top 200 in the second week, Depeche Mode's could only reach #14 (their first album that hasn't reached the Top 10 since 1990) and will also go out the following week.

Ah, the charts. Still important. Antiquated. I dig the charts etc but that shit is gone.

The Rolling Stones entered into the old/new media at a time. They will die because of the changes+age.

The 20s-30s group... even when it's a bad song, they groove on it.

They should stick to touring. It's been how long since A BIGGER BANG?

Way too long.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 6, 2023 15:21

georgelicks
WorriedAboutYou

But still the U2 album was a first chart topper for them in UK for 15 years or so. But yeah, I know what you mean, and I am even more skeptical than you are in regard to Christmas and Thanksgiving sales. That even those cannot much change the picture: any release by the old acts will make a great chart performance in the first week - the die-hard and some casual fans buy their copy - and the next week it is more or less gone. There is a lot to do for Universal to avoid this fate. BLUE&LONESOME was an exception, and its release timing benefitted the sales for sure, but can that be repeated? Not even Macca managed to do that with his christmas market album and whatever tricks they tried to promote that album.

ABBA did that, but although they did a great promotion, it had the advantage of being that rarity, a long-waited thing. Could Universal use that promotional trick for the Stones, stressing the absence of a new Stones studio album of originals for 18 years? And also pointing out the speciality of the Stones as the only real huge act from the classic rock days to do that? You know, to 'wake up' potential rock fans from all those generations to buy such a generational thing. Something the Stones do so well as a concert draw (the potential interest for them is incredible there).

The problem for that promotion idea is that the Stones always been around, doing concerts and released new stuff, so that for a casual fan the fact that is has been 18 years since A BIGGER BANG is a totally obscure and non-significiant (actually when I have talked to people about the Stones possibly releasing a new album of originals for almost two decades, they've been totally surprised: is it really that long? And I thought they have released stuff all the time')

The almost terrible example (salewise) of the last new Stones products - GOATS HEAD SOUP and TATTOO YOU new editions plus EL MOCAMBO - tells that the hardcore fan interest alone cannot sell that many copies. So to make some sort of acceptable success - even to achieve the recent U2 level - one needs to inspire the so called casual fans to buy the product. It all depends on that.

So I think there is more at stake for Universal and probably for all old acts here: if even a new Stones album - an item by the biggest name from the past - cannot sell, what does it mean for the rest? Is it really worth investing in such products any longer? That all there is rationally left to do is repacking old material plus some vaults stuff in big boxes to sell the diehards as long as they are still somehow alive?

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-06 15:48 by Doxa.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 6, 2023 17:35

Doxa

The almost terrible example (salewise) of the last new Stones products - GOATS HEAD SOUP and TATTOO YOU new editions plus EL MOCAMBO - tells that the hardcore fan interest alone cannot sell that many copies.

In the German Top-100 general album charts, GHS (2020) peaked at #2 and stayed 7 weeks in the charts, TY (2021) peaked at #3 and stayed 5 weeks in the charts while El Mocambo peaked at #5 and stayed 7 weeks in the charts - [www.OffizielleCharts.de] , [www.OffizielleCharts.de] , [www.OffizielleCharts.de] . The recent GRRR Live! peaked also at #3 and stayed 5 weeks in the charts - [www.OffizielleCharts.de] . Always in the first 5 positions of the general charts doesn't look like terrible sales. Moreover, the albums stayed in the charts for several weeks (other than those quick courses #10-#65-out, mainly based on fan sales).

For comparison:

U2 (Songs of Surrender) #1 -> #59 took 8 weeks - [www.OffizielleCharts.de] , Depeche Mode (Memento Mori) #1 -> #43 took 20 weeks - [www.OffizielleCharts.de] .

Paul McCartney (III) #1 -> #59 took 9 weeks - [www.OffizielleCharts.de] , The Rolling Stones (Blue & Lonesome) #1 -> #76 took 26 weeks - [www.OffizielleCharts.de] .

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-11 21:15 by Irix.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: April 6, 2023 17:57

"Blue & lonesome has sold over 2.600K...A brand new album of originals after 18 years, with a very good UMG promotion, will sold 2 million worldwide at least

Date: April 6, 2023 18:49

Irix
Doxa

The almost terrible example (salewise) of the last new Stones products - GOATS HEAD SOUP and TATTOO YOU new editions plus EL MOCAMBO - tells that the hardcore fan interest alone cannot sell that many copies.

In the German Top-100 general album charts, GHS (2020) peaked at #2 and stayed 7 weeks in the charts, TY (2021) peaked at #3 and stayed 5 weeks in the charts while El Mocambo peaked at #5 and stayed 7 weeks in the charts - [www.OffizielleCharts.de] , [www.OffizielleCharts.de] , [www.OffizielleCharts.de] . The recent GRRR Live! peaked also at #3 and stayed 5 weeks in the charts - [www.OffizielleCharts.de] . Always in the first 5 positions of the general charts doesn't look like terrible sales.

For comparison: U2 (Songs of Surrender) #1 -> #13, Depeche Mode (Memento Mori) #1 - [www.OffizielleCharts.de] , [www.OffizielleCharts.de] .

Yeah, this is a good point, but also a good example that the charts nowadays do not say much about the actual sales, something the record companies care about. The charts do not make money, but the sales do. It is pretty easy for an established name to have a great charting in a first week, since the die-hards get their copy then, and due to the relatively low album sales generally. But it is a kind of 'one-week wonder' and the charting dramatically drops after that. So to please artist's ego it might look good - it looks good in one's CV - to have a top ten release, even a number one, no matter it only lasts one week. So, for example, the Stones managed to top UK charts once again with the re-edition of GOATS HEAD SOUP in a pretty quiet sales week with pretty moderate sales, but its over-all sales would be ridiculous if compared to their number one albums from the past, or even the ones not making it (so many million sellers there). McCartney people did their best to make Macca's album number one during the christmas week - like that being something valuable an sich. Macca himself talked about how they made an arrangement that the release of Taylor Swift's album didn't clash with it. Like they once did it with the Stones (like Macca and Taylor would actually compete for the same buyers, unlike with the Stones back in the day). For an adult person, how ridiculous that actually is? Well, vanity belongs to a pop business I suppose. "Number one" sounds so good...

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-06 19:04 by Doxa.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 6, 2023 19:16

Hence I think part of the reason why they brought in a younger, hipper producer and potentially have ties to hot young artists. However, for my personal tastes, I hope that they put out various versions of the album (happy to buy multiple) - one with the album as the boys intended, and then a deluxe version that might include Ghost Town, any track with Dua, and any of the other contemporary artists. Let's get one phenomenal swan song album in the flavor of classic Stones, and leave the current trends a certain lead singer loves to aspire to to the deluxe edition bonus disc. That'll move more copies, and really if the deluxe is 2-cds, doesn't that count as 2 units? I recall something like that back in the day with Garth Brooks trying to topple Elvis for the biggest selling solo artist of all-time in the US.

For me, I'd rather see them have the #1, regardless of the # of units moved to get it there.

Posted by: rbp ()
Date: April 6, 2023 20:00

Don't care whether it gets to number 1 or 100. All I care about is whether it is good or not. It is an important release for them. If it is good it will sell plenty.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 7, 2023 06:01

I'll be surprised if the new LP doesn't debut at #1 or get to #1 for one week (anything beyond is decades old).

Regardless of hard copies (CD, vinyl) or digital (etc) what might still matter is - the first single.

Based on what little radio in the US I listen to... you'd think Start Me Up came out last month.

They simply won't touch that. Anything post-Start Me Up is not attainable, single wise, in regards to charts and sales.

It might find some places in the US radio market for a week or two but that's it. Then it's back to Start Me Up.

Yet on Spotify etc it would be ranked whatever in days of old but won't be Drake. A few days and it's over.

But. Think about it: we'll get to say to someone, Have you heard the new Stones single? It's from their new album.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 7, 2023 16:23

Who knows...stranger things have happened !
These guys have reinvented themselves so often, why not one more time, that's why they're trailblazers.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: April 7, 2023 17:27

GasLightStreet
I'll be surprised if the new LP doesn't debut at #1 or get to #1 for one week (anything beyond is decades old).

Regardless of hard copies (CD, vinyl) or digital (etc) what might still matter is - the first single.

Based on what little radio in the US I listen to... you'd think Start Me Up came out last month.

They simply won't touch that. Anything post-Start Me Up is not attainable, single wise, in regards to charts and sales.

It might find some places in the US radio market for a week or two but that's it. Then it's back to Start Me Up.

Yet on Spotify etc it would be ranked whatever in days of old but won't be Drake. A few days and it's over.

But. Think about it: we'll get to say to someone, Have you heard the new Stones single? It's from their new album.

Yeah, since who knows when The Stones don't have really big hits, especially in US market, but their albums have been good sellers. It could be very well that the singles have done their job: get people informed about a new album and the single being that good that it made people buying the album. So, for example, a single A-side like "Love Is Strong" did not do that well on charts, but I guess it being somehow played on the radio, and at the time its video circulating heavily on MTV, had probably something to do with VOODOO LOUNGE selling many millions (in US the single charted #91 at best, but the album has sold 2.4 million copies in that market, 6.4m worldwide). The same could be said of "Anybody Seen My Baby?" and BRIDGES TO BABYLON, etc.

Nowadays having a top ten single hit would mean having an incredible amount of streams, so I guess that is totally out of the scope of the Stones, since their potential audience are probably not that into it. But that does not mean that the singles are not relevant. They still are, like you said.

- Doxa

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: April 8, 2023 07:05

A stray remark in an interview with Steve Van Zandt, who hears that the new Stones record is quite good:

[www.usatoday.com]

Date: April 8, 2023 08:28

He says .......

And I hear the new Rolling Stones record is quite good.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 8, 2023 11:21

It will be ok and fun to hear what they come up with but don’t get your hopes up.
Keith once said Mick Taylor was a great guitar player who found out the hard way that’s all he is.
Mick and Keith are great songwriters who are gonna find out the hard way that’s all they are because the guys who made those old records ain’t here anymore.
No Bill, Charlie,Brian, Nicky, Bobby, Stu, Billy, Mick T , Jim Price, Jimmy Miller, Andy Johns, Glyn Johns,or even Ry Cooder to borrow a lick from.

Fans who liked Bigger Bang and Voodoo Lounge will be happy, the rest not as much, the one-off songs you’ve heard the last 10 or 15 years are the best they can do.
Ghost Town ,One more shot.that kinda thing is what they are now,it’s just ok but great, not happening.

Date: April 8, 2023 12:20

BB and VL not so great, but Bridges to Babylon - now that's a class act. A 21st C classic, maybe the only one. That and Blue & Lonesome.
As for "great songwriters who are gonna find out the hard way that’s all they are" - I'd say that's enough to start with. Let's see hoe it finishes! Maybe Chanel H's voice and Ben Waters' piano grind a little more pepper into the pot to create one final gumbo...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...629630631632633634635636637638639...LastNext
Current Page: 634 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1794
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home