Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...637638639640641642643644645646647...LastNext
Current Page: 642 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 20, 2023 22:25

gotdablouse
Hairball
VoodooLounge13
doitywoik
When Keith said that new music is coming he didn't consider it would be old music by the time we finally get to hear it.

And when he said that, he didn't specify if it was by him or the Stones, did he? Just said new music was coming. Perhaps it's new Wino's music!!

New Keith solo material would be a welcome gift this year, and not out of the realm of possibilities considering the Stones being on indefinite hiatus from touring.
And with the absence of a Stones tour (and album), it might be the right time to strike while the iron is hot!...8 years and counting since Crosseyed Heart was released...

A new Keith album when it took him a decade to have enough material for the 2015 album that had to be coaxed out of him by Steve Jordan ?! That's got zero chance of happening. Mick on the other hand probably has 100+ songs ready to go. He can't be bothered to release them though so I suppose the end result is going to be the same.

I don't think anyone was referring to an entire new album from Keith, just some "new music" which could be a single or an ep. After all, it's been 8 years and counting since Crosseyed Heart...maybe the Keith/Macca tune they wrote together a decade ago will be recorded and released by Keith? I hope so.thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-20 22:29 by Hairball.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: April 21, 2023 01:02

Just so I understand, are some on this board seriously comparing the current creative output of a 30-something pop star to that of a rock band with members in their late 70s who have more or less written the book on rock endurance as well as written some of the greatest rock songs of all-time, and who maybe now just simply don't have as much to say after saying so much when they themselves were younger?

Maybe it's all tongue firmly in cheek, but it seems like an unfair comparison.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: April 21, 2023 02:05

VoodooLounge13
doitywoik
When Keith said that new music is coming he didn't consider it would be old music by the time we finally get to hear it.

And when he said that, he didn't specify if it was by him or the Stones, did he? Just said new music was coming. Perhaps it's new Wino's music!!

Or maybe it was Grrr Live or so. I can't really believe that Keith tacitly managed to record a solo album while fighting a year-long fight to come up with material for the new Stones album.

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: April 21, 2023 04:34

The album will come, alongside a tour. Don't lose faith now! We've been at this thread for 7 years, I can feel we're close...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 21, 2023 06:54

Hairball
gotdablouse
Hairball
VoodooLounge13
doitywoik

New Keith solo material would be a welcome gift this year, and not out of the realm of possibilities considering the Stones being on indefinite hiatus from touring.
And with the absence of a Stones tour (and album), it might be the right time to strike while the iron is hot!...8 years and counting since Crosseyed Heart was released...

A new Keith album when it took him a decade to have enough material for the 2015 album that had to be coaxed out of him by Steve Jordan ?! That's got zero chance of happening. Mick on the other hand probably has 100+ songs ready to go. He can't be bothered to release them though so I suppose the end result is going to be the same.

I don't think anyone was referring to an entire new album from Keith, just some "new music" which could be a single or an ep. After all, it's been 8 years and counting since Crosseyed Heart...maybe the Keith/Macca tune they wrote together a decade ago will be recorded and released by Keith? I hope so.thumbs up

8 years since CROSSEYED HEART came out? Really? Holy shit.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: April 21, 2023 07:20

Yup, 8 years this September. "Holy shit" is right.

Date: April 21, 2023 09:03

Another new album is out - this time by Jethro Tull, one year after the last one (haven't heard it yet):

[www.jpc.de]

OK OK, Jethro Tull is Ian Anderson's one man show and in the Stones it's a two man show, but still. Also old folks can come up with new music.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 21, 2023 15:45

NilsHolgersson
georgelicks
ribbelchips
Yeah same. It's 2023. Albums don't sell tickets anymore. And vice versa. Both can perfectly be launched months from each other, I quess.

Blue and Lonesome was a stand alone release, they didn't tour until 9 months later.

Another example, the biggest act in the world right now, Taylor Swift: her latest album released in October, the tour started in March, 5 months later.

Taylor Swift released her first album, called Taylor Swift, in 2006. That's after A Bigger Bang. That's how long the Stones are taking with their new album. Taylor Swift released 10 studio albums since then. Lol!

Once upon a time, our boys were prolific too!!!

Date: April 21, 2023 15:55

Jimmer
Totally agree on how dry the Stones studio ouput has been over the last 20-25 years or so. But in their early/mid years, they like the Beatles were prolific in terms of quantity and quality of output:

1964-69: 10 Studio Albums (in the U.S.)
1964-74: 14 Studio Albums
1964-1983: 19 Studio Albums
But in Last 40 years: Only 6 Studio Albums (although there have been many other solo related studio albums released among the band members from the 1970s on)

In their advancing years (mid 50s on), they clearly have lost the edge to create/ release new material as a band. Age itself as well as Wealth may have been factors in this regard (rich beyond most of our/ their wildest dreams and thus no financial need/ incentive to record/ release 'new' music); greater distancing of Mick and Keith in their personal/ private lives and relationships with each other; certainly creative musical taste differences between them (with Keith most likely wanting to stay more aligned with their roots and Mick seemingly interested in expanding their repertoire to include more 'current' trends) also probably contributed to disagreements and stumbling blocks in recording.

Who knows... But I'm still hopeful we will get a new album to listen to this year which would ease the pain of missing them on tour this year. I was really looking forward to them possibly ending their tour in Philly (my hometown - actually I am from the suburbs of Philly) on Aug. 1. Maybe next year.

While I definitely agree that the will to create and release under the Stones moniker seems to have dissipated, I can't agree that riches have played a factor. Look at any other number of big acts still releasing regularly: Bruce, Macca, Dylan, Neil Young, Willie Nelson even!! (though I don't think he's quite in the same financial league - I could be wrong tho). And while they're a bit younger and I'm not a real fan, even U2 has continued to offer up new albums.

The only comparison that comes remotely close to the Stones is Aerosmith. Another band that hasn't put out a new album in forever. Interesting that both big-lipped lead singers' bands are all but grounded for new output. Not that I think the one has anything to do with the other; just that I always felt Steven was a Mick wanna-be.

But it incredibly disheartening that so much time passes between albums - especially now with Charlie's passing, and if in fact they did have an album all finished back in 2015, as Charlie had hinted at. I think it's great that they're so focused on their legacy now for the final album, but every damn artist has clunkers. I don't care who you are, there isn't an artist out there whose entire output is stellar. So they could have added several more albums over the years to their catalog and allowed us to enjoy more. Stayed true to a certain sound/style and if any of them wanted to explore other styles, perhaps they could have used their solo careers for that. But I also think that their solo careers somewhat hurt the band too, because they (the various solo careers) became almost like a distraction that kept them from creating new Stones material.

Date: April 21, 2023 16:02

NashvilleBlues
Of course I cut them slack. I love The Stones. But, is anyone arguing that they put out a top notch original album since 1981?

I would say they've put out TWO top notch albums since 1981!!!! Both easily in my Top 10 of their output.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: April 21, 2023 16:13

Topi
Yup, 8 years this September. "Holy shit" is right.

We are almost as distant from Crosseyed Heart as Steel Wheels is from Tattoo You.

Time marches on.

Date: April 22, 2023 11:12

georgelicks
Blue and Lonesome was released in December 2016, but they didn't tour until 9 months later.

No tour this year could be a new scenario, a good one actually: they could promote the new album actively with interviews on radio/tv/streaming sites during various months, videos or even acoustic performances of the new songs, all kind of activity, but different from the endless boring touring warhorses method of the last decades.

Taylor Swift just went on tour this year after almost 5 years, she released 3 or 4 new albums in the meantime, and she's only on her 30's, its not all about touring.

Sadly the Stones tours are harder to make with each year pass, too many problems for people over 80 years age, but they could still perform and be there on the radar.

If The Stones release the new album on Christmas maybe they could promote it with 4-5 shows on a venue like 2016 with Blue and Lonesome, they could play in an arena like in Las Vegas 2016 or MSG. Then a spring/summer tour could be done in a relaxed way later on

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-22 12:44 by DiegoGlimmerStones.

Date: April 22, 2023 23:36

There will be no tour of any sort this year. BV has stated as much. And with the tour cancelled I am having serious doubts that we will see the release of this album at any time this year. And that’s heart breaking really.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 22, 2023 23:42

Yes, such a waste when they've had countless tours since 2012 to promote an album and they couldn't be bothered to complete work on it, now that they (apparently) have they can't tour, ironic isn't it ! And at the end of the day the fans are those left holding the bag :-(

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 22, 2023 23:50

They've got to release something. They always do. Do you think they'll go silent until 2024? Maybe Mick will get out there and appear with somebody else. Scrape the vault. There's still Abbatoir and Knebworth from '76. Unreleased 1972 live album. Get something like that out there. Keith and Mick will do new interviews and tease the new album and tour. It's worked for 60 years.

Date: April 23, 2023 00:28

On second thought I think a Fall/Christmas release like 2016 would be possible and a new tour shortly after. Just a guess/example inspired on Blue and Lonesome promotions:

Album Announcement - 2023.09.07
New Single - 2023.09.07
New Single - 2023.09.22
New Single - 2023.10.27
Tour Announcement - 2023.11.02
Album Release - 2023.11.03
Tour Kick Off - 2024.02.06

Blue and Lonesome Official Teasers [justpaste.it]

Hopefully we'll know more details about his plans soon thumbs up

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-28 09:01 by DiegoGlimmerStones.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 23, 2023 04:50

A Xmas release like 2016 would be possible - but Album/Tour announcement would be on a Tuesday-Thursday and new music Fridays.

Date: April 23, 2023 08:48

Irix
A Xmas release like 2016 would be possible - but Album/Tour announcement would be on a Tuesday-Thursday and new music Fridays.

Thank you. I really didn't know that. It's an interesting detail that they usually advertise and make announcements on those days and i think it makes sense thumbs up

Date: April 23, 2023 13:37

DiegoGlimmerStones
georgelicks
Blue and Lonesome was released in December 2016, but they didn't tour until 9 months later.

No tour this year could be a new scenario, a good one actually: they could promote the new album actively with interviews on radio/tv/streaming sites during various months, videos or even acoustic performances of the new songs, all kind of activity, but different from the endless boring touring warhorses method of the last decades.

Taylor Swift just went on tour this year after almost 5 years, she released 3 or 4 new albums in the meantime, and she's only on her 30's, its not all about touring.

Sadly the Stones tours are harder to make with each year pass, too many problems for people over 80 years age, but they could still perform and be there on the radar.

If The Stones release the new album on Christmas maybe they could promote it with 4-5 shows on a venue like 2016 with Blue and Lonesome, they could play in an arena like in Las Vegas 2016 or MSG. Then a spring/summer tour could be done in a relaxed way later on

Considering the logistics and costs (and time) it takes to organise a Stones show (and the rehearsals before) I don't think they would get into this for only 4 or 5 shows. Also, if these shows were meant to promote the new album, they should feature many if not all of the new songs - songs they never played before, so possibly more rehearsal time needed than usual.

Admittedly, I can't remember promotional shows for B & L, too long ago ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-23 13:38 by doitywoik.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 23, 2023 17:51

VoodooLounge13
NashvilleBlues
Of course I cut them slack. I love The Stones. But, is anyone arguing that they put out a top notch original album since 1981?

I would say they've put out TWO top notch albums since 1981!!!! Both easily in my Top 10 of their output.

Well I think Undercover and Steel Wheels are top notch, and Voodoo Lounge/B2B/ABB simply suffer from double album syndrome and could have been far better if edited down to 10 or 11 tracks each.

So I guess I'm also one who would argue there is some top notch stuff. It's not the 'BIG 4' or Some Girls/Tattoo You, but those are anomalies...they're amongst the best albums of all time, recorded by anyone.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 23, 2023 18:28

treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13
NashvilleBlues

Well I think Undercover and Steel Wheels are top notch, and Voodoo Lounge/B2B/ABB simply suffer from double album syndrome and could have been far better if edited down to 10 or 11 tracks each.

So I guess I'm also one who would argue there is some top notch stuff. It's not the 'BIG 4' or Some Girls/Tattoo You, but those are anomalies...they're amongst the best albums of all time, recorded by anyone.

Voodoo Lounge, Bridges to Babylon and A Bigger Bang suffer in the same way that so, so many 90’s albums do: they’re simply too long. Every artist, every act, seemed hell-bent on filling the CD to the brim. It was very-much a ‘90’s’ ‘thing’ and thankfully resolved itself once the 00’s came around. I guess it was all to do with the CD being, all of a sudden, the #1 medium and an uncertainty over how long albums should now be, without the restriction’s of the running-time of an LP.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: April 23, 2023 21:17

To be honest, I don't really care all that much about the new album. I'll probably listen to it once and then go right back to Sticky Fingers or Exile. They're never going to record anything remotely close to that good again.

Posted by: rbp ()
Date: April 23, 2023 21:53

Release the album this year and then call it quits. Has to end sometime soon and better now than the result of some unforseen event.

Date: April 24, 2023 02:41

treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13
NashvilleBlues

Well at least we can agree that they’ve put out 2 top notch albums since 81. We’ll never agree on what those are, but that’s OK.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 24, 2023 11:17

VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13
NashvilleBlues

Well at least we can agree that they’ve put out 2 top notch albums since 81. We’ll never agree on what those are, but that’s OK.

SINCE 81? Steel Wheels and Blue & Lonesome.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 24, 2023 12:12

24FPS
VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13
NashvilleBlues

SINCE 81? Steel Wheels and Blue & Lonesome.

B&L doesn’t count. I said original. It’s all covers…

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 24, 2023 12:16

Their first couple of albums don't count for much either then ?

Nothing wrong with B&L ..it's great album of it's type...rather like Rolling Stones Nos 1 & 2 grinning smiley

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 24, 2023 15:09

Spud
Their first couple of albums don't count for much either then ?

Nothing wrong with B&L ..it's great album of it's type...rather like Rolling Stones Nos 1 & 2 grinning smiley

You’re coming into this a bit late. You’re missing pieces. I said they haven’t released a top-notch album of original material since 1981.

Date: April 24, 2023 15:25

For me, it's Voodoo Lounge and Bridges To Babylon. And I'll take that 1-2 over Some Girls, Tattoo You that someone had posted earlier. As good as TY is, for me, SG is one that I don't often revisit anymore. I know for some on here it's the last great Stones album, and hey to each their own.

I also firmly believe - as someone posted on another thread - that the Stones music is very much influenced by the time in which someone came into the band. For me, that was Steel Wheels and The London Years at age 13. It might explain why I still mostly listen to the older stuff as individual songs rather than whole albums. I had all the hits on a single compilation at the outset.

Rare is it for me to go back to the early, early albums. Typically, I'll go back to Aftermath and occasionally Between The Buttons, perhaps as much for the cover as the music. Flowers is played pretty regularly, but that's not a proper album. If I need to change things up a bit, then I will perhaps throw on something early.

It's all very interesting how one approaches, and thinks of, the Stones catalog. My sons, for example, will sit down and listen to a whole album - no matter the artist - and just absorb it. I miss those days, and I wish I had time to do that again!!!! Ah, the teenage years!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 24, 2023 15:32

VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13
NashvilleBlues

Hehe.. A bit like about every one agrees that the albums since VOODOO LOUNGE been better if shorter, but no one seems to agree which are the songs that should have been edited out...

- Doxa

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...637638639640641642643644645646647...LastNext
Current Page: 642 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2085
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home