Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...635636637638639640641642643644645...LastNext
Current Page: 640 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 18, 2023 20:16

Just listening to Brussels last year again. Really loving the connection between Darryl and Steve. I hope this has been captured live and also in the studio. Haven't been this excited in a while. This is another reason I'm hopeful for the new album.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 18, 2023 20:23

640 pages!

At this point, 1,000 pages before the album gets released seems more realistic and closer than ever considering the latest setbacks regarding no tour this year.
Still really hoping to hear the tracks with Charlie...and like many others, the Macca-Stones collaboration. Whether the latter would be any good is beside the point - it's historical!
I would hope that if the Stones never get around to finishing/releasing the new album, maybe Macca will release the tune on his next solo album.
It would be a real shame if it gets buried in the vaults, not to mention the entire new Stones album getting lost in the shuffle of time...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-18 20:25 by Hairball.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: April 18, 2023 20:34

Yeah, never mind the Stones, just give us the Macca track! winking smiley

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 18, 2023 21:32

640 pages, as Hairball noted.
That's 19,174 posts (including this one).
That's 477 posts from me
1,117 posts from Hairball alone.
2,575 posts from Doxa.
1,149 posts from Terry.
Who knows how many of the remaining 13,856 posts were really about the sessions? Mainly it's just fans discussing what they want or what they fear they won't or will get. The number of pages is more about how active the site is despite all the rubbish.

Date: April 18, 2023 22:07

Terry? This thread is so long I don't even remember who Terry is/was.

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: April 18, 2023 22:24

Hairball
640 pages!

At this point, 1,000 pages before the album gets released seems more realistic and closer than ever considering the latest setbacks regarding no tour this year.
Still really hoping to hear the tracks with Charlie...and like many others, the Macca-Stones collaboration. Whether the latter would be any good is beside the point - it's historical!
I would hope that if the Stones never get around to finishing/releasing the new album, maybe Macca will release the tune on his next solo album.
It would be a real shame if it gets buried in the vaults, not to mention the entire new Stones album getting lost in the shuffle of time...

No still 360 pages to go!!

[iorr.org]

Date: April 18, 2023 22:25

Christiaan
retired_dog
tioms
This topic started Dec.9/2016/// 598 pages later: today Jan. 2023? Nothing!
I should say: Wait and see.

They'll wait with the announcement 'til we reach page 600 to celebrate our longetivity. Mark my words!

No it will be at yes thousand (1000!!!!) pages hot smiley

360 to go!!smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: April 18, 2023 22:32

Topi

I'm not sure if the track will be that spectacular just because Macca plays the bass. It's nevertheless a Stones track, and if it's a good track it will be good irrespective of who plays the bass (assuming the Stones will not allow anyone to play bass on one of their tracks who doesn't know how to handle the instrument). Personally I don't think it will be the Macca-Keith collaboration song mentioned by Keith. This would meanwhile have transpired one way or other.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-19 00:47 by doitywoik.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 18, 2023 23:38

Perhaps a Oobu-JooBu Shi-Doobee mashup!!! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 19, 2023 12:02

retired_dog
Doxa
Yeah, R Dog, I get what you mean by doing best under those circumstances, since them not being ideal. But still, I think, as they did release the album they, pragmatically speaking, were pleased with it enough, and were ready stand behind it. I mean, these were the guys who once thought that ROCK AND ROLL CIRCUS or SOME GIRLS LIVE IN TEXAS were too subpar to be released. Surely the circumstances were different in 2005 and probably they were not so worried about the quality in order to get the album out for the tour, but still... Now, in the case of a new album, they supposedly think differently (quality seems to matter), but are we sure they weren't that different in 2005?

Honestly, I don't know. But what I tend to think is that the artists, if they were to release something, are somehow satisfied with the product. That it actually expresses something they want to 'say'.

The thing in regard to A BIGGER BANG is that we do know a lot about the circumstances under which the album was done, and we seem to indicate that those mattered for the album not being so good. But we don't know does the band think similarly. Or if it was not fulfilling their artistic purposes. Or, theoretically, if Mick and Keith's songs had been better, the album had been better the album had been better, no matter how it was executed. Or, had some kind of miracle happened, The Glimmer Twins had given us a masterpiece by some other means. What I try to say is that we are using some old concepts of how the Stones once have worked in order to explain why the results weren't that great this time. Nothing wrong there, but I am not so sure if the explanation is that valid. Creativity or the greatness of art cannot be reduced to following old habits and customs.

Hmmm...Probably I just try to say that what I am to judge what people like Mick Jagger or Keith Richards should do in order to get the best out of them.. They are their own masters, and I am just a follower...

- Doxa

I think the terms I marked in bold, "pleased with it enough" and "somehow satisfied with the product" describe best what they may have felt after the completion of ABB. I mean, they are no idiots and surely realize that "Rough Justice" is no "All Down The Line", "Streets Of Love" is no "Angie" or "Wild Horses" and "Back Of My Hand" is no "Love In Vain", "Down In The Hole", maybe not even no "The Storm".

Still, ABB as a whole is not that bad that it would have been impossible to stand behind it - at the time, that is. And both Mick and Keith are clever enough in promo talks to give you the impression that they're really, really convinced and satisfied with whatever product they put out.

It's only readable in the aftermath, the years to follow the fact what they may really have thought about a certain project. Let's not forget that ABB was a contractual obligation, their last album for Virgin/EMI, so they had to release something. Yes, there's some good stuff on it. Yes, it was cheap to produce. No harm in putting it out - even without studio polish. They knew they could get away with it because back then, it already must have dawned on them that new albums were not essential for touring. Consequently, their next contract with Universal lacks any obligation to record new albums of originals.

I think that after ABB, they did not want a situation ever again where they would be contractually forced to release something. Something they may in their hearts not have been totally satisfied with. I think that tells something about how they were really thinking about the album. Plus they were getting older, plus they realized they could sell tickets without new music, of course.

As mentioned before in this thread - the fact that a new album of original music is finally on the horizon without any contractual pressures makes me very optimistic that this fabled "new album" is not a contrived one, not full of compromises, but something that truly represents whereever their artistic route and creative ways have led them.

Something they really, really want to say.

Sorry, took me some days to respond - probably the sad info about the 'no tour this year' took my attention, since it looks like it is pretty much connected to the topic of this thread.

Not that I actually have that much to say, since I pretty much agree with all you say here. Likewise I think that the current circumstances - not having a contractual commitment or careerwise any necessity to release anything - do sound promising for their inner muse shine brighter. My point above was just to take into consiration that despite having very good reasons to suggest many things, we don't really know what is going on inside their heads (their motives, judgments about the quality, the ends, etc). So I speculated with some alternative possibilities the given facts seem to offer. Probably I ended sounding like devil's advocate or something...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-19 12:09 by Doxa.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 19, 2023 12:42

So, no tour means more time to concentrate on the album or no album at all for 2023?

Date: April 19, 2023 12:48

Yeah, the album will be pushed to 2026 now. =P

Posted by: MonicaDe ()
Date: April 19, 2023 13:13

Topi

I love your sense of humour! smileys with beer

Posted by: terry ()
Date: April 19, 2023 14:16

Keith said on the 11/O1 this year, that there’s new music on its way and hopefully get to see you.
So releasing an album for for the Xmas market is not soon.
So I’m hoping for a spring or summer release, or a taster single soon

Date: April 19, 2023 14:33

terry
Keith said on the 11/O1 this year, that there’s new music on its way and hopefully get to see you.
So releasing an album for for the Xmas market is not soon.
So I’m hoping for a spring or summer release, or a taster single soon

Something obviously happened after this, unfortunately...

Date: April 19, 2023 17:19

MonicaDe
Topi

I love your sense of humour! smileys with beer

spinning smiley sticking its tongue outspinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmiling bouncing smileysmiling bouncing smileysmoking smileysmoking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 19, 2023 17:44

Topi

WE WANT THE MACCA! WE WANT THE MACCA! WE WANT THE MACCA!

just doesn't have the desired ring to it.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: April 19, 2023 22:18

So, Just to be clear, When is the new album coming out ?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 19, 2023 22:23

Bungo

Well, I guess that is something we all here would like to know.

- Doxa

Date: April 19, 2023 22:56

treaclefingers
Topi

WE WANT THE MACCA! WE WANT THE MACCA! WE WANT THE MACCA!

just doesn't have the desired ring to it.

How about:

"Ladies and gentlemen - The Macca!"

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 20, 2023 00:29

Doxa
Bungo

Well, I guess that is something we all here would like to know.

- Doxa

Now THAT is a clarifying statement!

Date: April 20, 2023 03:47

Hairball
640 pages!

Kudos to your optimism. That's the spirit! (Talking about the right spirit, what happened to IanBillen?) 1000 is still quite a stretch to go but 700 (and maybe also 750) certainly does seem more and more realistic.

Imagine they announced to release the album only once we completed 1000 pages - this would be the fastest-growing thread in the history of IORR! grinning smiley

Do we have any indication/hint/etc. that Macca co-wrote the respective track? (I don't think so.) If it's just a Jagger/Richards song with Macca playing the bass, chances are slim that Macca could put it on a solo album of his. Anyway, the song might be good even for nasty headlines, like, poor former Beatle Macca now having to work as a session hand for the Stones in his old age ... winking smiley

But seriously now, of course I'm also curious about the song!

Date: April 20, 2023 04:34

doitywoik
Hairball
640 pages!

Kudos to your optimism. That's the spirit! (Talking about the right spirit, what happened to IanBillen?) 1000 is still quite a stretch to go but 700 (and maybe also 750) certainly does seem more and more realistic.

Imagine they announced to release the album only once we completed 1000 pages - this would be the fastest-growing thread in the history of IORR! grinning smiley

Do we have any indication/hint/etc. that Macca co-wrote the respective track? (I don't think so.) If it's just a Jagger/Richards song with Macca playing the bass, chances are slim that Macca could put it on a solo album of his. Anyway, the song might be good even for nasty headlines, like, poor former Beatle Macca now having to work as a session hand for the Stones in his old age ... winking smiley

But seriously now, of course I'm also curious about the song!

It could be a cover tune for all we know, but admittedly we don't know much!
It could even be a remake of I Wanna Be Your Man for all we know (credit Lennon/McCartney), but again we don't know much!
It could also be the tune that Keith wrote with Paul ten years ago or so - a tune that Keith praised, but what do we know?! Not much really.
In either of these cases, there's always the possibility that Paul could release it himself if the Stones decide not to finish/release the album.

In other news, someone posted that Mick plays maracas on a new tune from Post Malone which was produced by Andrew Watt who has been rumored to be working on the new Stones album.
It might not be that much of a stretch to think that Post Malone will also be a featured guest on the new Stones album considering nobody would have ever guessed Macca being on the album. But he is!
So the list of possibilities continues to grow. Along with Macca (confirmed), there's the possibility of Dia Lupa, Stevie Wonder, Justin Timberlake, Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber...OZZY...and whoever else you can think of!

18 years and counting...........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-20 04:35 by Hairball.

Date: April 20, 2023 04:47

> It could be a cover tune for all we know,

That's of course an option (and, thinking about it, even a realistic one)! I must admit I didn't really consider that, for some reason took it for granted that it's a new song ...

edit:
Wasn't it said that Macca did his bass part only when the actual recording sessions were finished and they were already mixing the album? (Maybe I misremember, or misinterpret?) In that case Macca would have added bass to a track that had no bass before, or they erased (not literally, of course) someone else's bass track to give him a go. However, if they had another recording session at that late stage involving Macca, it seems indeed reasonable they recorded a cover of an old song they all knew.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-20 04:57 by doitywoik.

Date: April 20, 2023 05:18

doitywoik
Wasn't it said that Macca did his bass part only when the actual recording sessions were finished and they were already mixing the album?

You could be thinking of Ben Waters (another featured guest!), but it could have been Macca as well?
Hard to say what's fact and what's fiction at this point after 640 pages...18 years and counting ...everything's become a blur...
Maybe some day we'll find out the truth of all the details? Hope so. thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 20, 2023 09:02

Where's the UNDERCOVER deluxe reissue?

Not a word about that, 40th etc. Still way early.

But a new album?

Which one is more realistic?

Date: April 20, 2023 09:30

Hairball

So the list of possibilities continues to grow. Along with Macca (confirmed), there's the possibility of Dia Lupa, Stevie Wonder, Justin Timberlake, Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber...OZZY...and whoever else you can think of!

Bruce Springsteen?

18 years and counting...........

Still only 17 and counting. Wait until September.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 20, 2023 09:57

GasLightStreet
Where's the UNDERCOVER deluxe reissue?

Not a word about that, 40th etc. Still way early.

But a new album?

Which one is more realistic?

A new album.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 20, 2023 10:27

YEAH I'm with Big Al ..... new album ....

ROCKMAN

Date: April 20, 2023 10:28

When Keith said that new music is coming he didn't consider it would be old music by the time we finally get to hear it.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...635636637638639640641642643644645...LastNext
Current Page: 640 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1411
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home