Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...352353354355356357358359360361362...LastNext
Current Page: 357 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 4, 2019 15:46

Stoneage
So, consensus here is that Tattoo You is their best compilation ever and that Dirty Work was their last great studio effort? Or have I misunderstood something?

Given the amount of nonsense spouted within this bloated thread...you could certainly be excused for reaching that conclusion. grinning smiley

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 4, 2019 16:05

Deathgod
Don Was was in Australia recently and said ‘not one track is finished yet’ for the new album

Presuming that quote's from an interview, is there a source or link to it?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 4, 2019 17:12

Spud
Stoneage
So, consensus here is that Tattoo You is their best compilation ever and that Dirty Work was their last great studio effort? Or have I misunderstood something?

Given the amount of nonsense spouted within this bloated thread...you could certainly be excused for reaching that conclusion. grinning smiley

The consensus you talk about involves only one person who chooses (aka trollingly, just for the sake of creating an argument/debate over... nothing that exists, and then idiots like me take the ridiculous bait, partially because it's entertaining, like listening to a flat earther) to ignore reality (no one else in the world thinks that way. Everyone knows TATTOO YOU is a proper album).

Which is:

UNDERCOVER is their last great studio effort, regardless of its reception or sale: artistically it is a fantastic body of work and one of their most inventive albums beyond establishing themselves as what they became known for (which albums like BEGGARS through EXILE established).

After that it's just been about fulfilling the contract since nothing past U was anywhere near inventive, with possible exception being BLUE AND LONESOME for getting back to what started it all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-04 17:17 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 4, 2019 18:18

GasLightStreet
Spud
Stoneage

The consensus you talk about involves only one person who chooses (aka trollingly, just for the sake of creating an argument/debate over... nothing that exists, and then idiots like me take the ridiculous bait, partially because it's entertaining, like listening to a flat earther) to ignore reality (no one else in the world thinks that way. Everyone knows TATTOO YOU is a proper album).

I am not going to start this all over again. I have delivered enough arguments that TY is a compilation. Go back a few pages and you´ll find the arguments. Btw it´s not only me, other people do agree that TY isn´t a regular studio album although they would not go so far to call it a compilation (although that´s what it is indeed).

Their last album that I can enjoy from start to finish without skipping any track or having a hard time to go through the album is DIRTY WORK, released in 1986. All albums that were to follow have their (very good-excellent) moments, but are unfortunately loaded with fillers and subpar material surrounding that occasional moments of excellence and former glory.

Note: DIRTY WORK is NOT one of their "great" albums, it is just very good. UNDERCOVER isn´t "great" also, it is - very much like DW - a very good Stones-album.

Their last "great" album would have been probably TATTOO YOU - if it only was a regular studio album which it isn´t. So their last "great" album is... is... hell I don´t know, it must have been Let It Bleed probably, since STICKY FINGER´s core songs seem to be recorded during prior sessions in 1969. EXILE seems also to be filled up with lots of songs recorded in prior sessions, but EXILE isn´t a "great" album anyway.

Date: July 4, 2019 18:31

They're most of them compilations in some shape or form... the only variable being the length of time the tracks have been fermenting works in progress.

I suppose many artists do one record at a time ...write it record it ...do the next one.

The Stones never really operated like that in the "old days."

They've been a bit like the painter with many half finished canvasses in his garret...all waiting for that last bit of sky or the dog in the bottom left hand corner.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-04 18:37 by Spud.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 4, 2019 20:20

IanBillen
Stoneage
I get the feeling that this talk about "we're working on a new album" is a mantra to keep the kettle boiling or to have something to show for in interviews. More so than anything else.

Lol .. really? The Rolling Stones hardly need to talk about a new album just to get an interview yo. In case you missed it .. they are arguably the biggest Rock Stars on the planet. Kina been that way for a while. Not to mention they are pretty vague about it but all that is besides this crazy notion. They sell out stadiums .. they make the cover of magazines and get publicized on major websites .. etc. They do 'not' need to mention blurbs about an album in order to get interviews or for folks to read (/see) or to have something to show in their interviews. Come on now folks.. lets give em SOME credit Lol

Credit for what? An album that doesn't exist. I stand by what I said. They strive to give the impression that they are still an active band working on new material to hit the shelves within hours.
Of course that is not true but they need this spin - otherwise they would look like a nostalgia act. And that's the last thing Sir Michael would like them to look like. It would be bad for sales.
Why else would someone come up with the name Peter Pan?

Date: July 4, 2019 20:47

In my opinion they have nothing but lots of sketches and they are still not sure what to do with that stuff... maybe they have too many sketches and lost focus. Sometimes working on this then working on that but it never comes to any result. Maybe they indeed spend most of the studio-time watching cricket matches...

Indeed - it´s all about creating the illusion of a band working on new stuff. Good for the image but it already starts backfireing.

Date: July 4, 2019 20:52

HMS
GasLightStreet
Spud
Stoneage

I am not going to start this all over again. I have delivered enough arguments that TY is a compilation. Go back a few pages and you´ll find the arguments. Btw it´s not only me, other people do agree that TY isn´t a regular studio album although they would not go so far to call it a compilation (although that´s what it is indeed).

Their last album that I can enjoy from start to finish without skipping any track or having a hard time to go through the album is DIRTY WORK, released in 1986. All albums that were to follow have their (very good-excellent) moments, but are unfortunately loaded with fillers and subpar material surrounding that occasional moments of excellence and former glory.

Note: DIRTY WORK is NOT one of their "great" albums, it is just very good. UNDERCOVER isn´t "great" also, it is - very much like DW - a very good Stones-album.

Their last "great" album would have been probably TATTOO YOU - if it only was a regular studio album which it isn´t. So their last "great" album is... is... hell I don´t know, it must have been Let It Bleed probably, since STICKY FINGER´s core songs seem to be recorded during prior sessions in 1969. EXILE seems also to be filled up with lots of songs recorded in prior sessions, but EXILE isn´t a "great" album anyway.

Date: July 4, 2019 20:55

<In my opinion they have nothing but lots of sketches and they are still not sure what to do with that stuff>

Isn't kind of hard to have an opinion about something you don't know anything about? smiling smiley

That said, Deathgod's friend had a chat with Don Was in Australia, where he indeed said that none of the tracks were finished.

That could also very well mean that (some of) the tracks haven't been edited or mixed yet, but that they have done the work playing-wise, though.

So we don't really know. I'm not saying your assumption is wrong, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-04 20:55 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: July 4, 2019 21:12

some times you just gotta go with what you've got, dump don was and go with the band mix in the studio...dont let don was and Sir Mick bring out a USA radio friendly brian adams/Areosmith/eagles type clean cd

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: July 4, 2019 22:13

GasLightStreet
Spud
Stoneage

Which is:

UNDERCOVER is their last great studio effort, regardless of its reception or sale: artistically it is a fantastic body of work and one of their most inventive albums beyond establishing themselves as what they became known for (which albums like BEGGARS through EXILE established).

After that it's just been about fulfilling the contract since nothing past U was anywhere near inventive, with possible exception being BLUE AND LONESOME for getting back to what started it all.
wait a minute....are you saying the earth ISN'T flat??!! What the....

Posted by: calipachangero ()
Date: July 4, 2019 22:50

I think, there is nothing anymore to contribute which hasn't been said two, three ir more times already.
Time to close this thread or put it on hold. It is annoying opening the thread in hope of some substancial piece of News just to read nonsense or the same "news" from a doubtful source again and again.
Shut down this thread and open a new one when an actual álbum of Stones Originals comes out!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 4, 2019 22:53

Breaking news:

New thread for new album coming in 2022 or 2023 - stay tuned and be patient!

Date: July 4, 2019 22:55

calipachangero
I think, there is nothing anymore to contribute which hasn't been said two, three ir more times already.
Time to close this thread or put it on hold. It is annoying opening the thread in hope of some substancial piece of News just to read nonsense or the same "news" from a doubtful source again and again.
Shut down this thread and open a new one when an actual álbum of Stones Originals comes out!

The news will be found in the news section on IORR. This is a discussion thread.

That said, this thread has indeed taken some weird turns during the years.

Date: July 5, 2019 00:25

GasLightStreet

Why is it so hard to accept the truth that is so very plain to see? For the very last time: TY is by no means a regular studio album because:
- it consists of old and very old tracks
- there were no sessions for TY with full band
- the songs that were re-worked/updated/enhanced/finished/whatever were chosen by Chris Kimsey
- Mick did most of the additional work to make the songs come alive
- only minor input by other bandmembers
- it can´t be a "new studio album" because it is all old material
- it can´t be a "regular studio album" because of the way it came to be
- no other album in Stones´ history was ever made that way

...hence no "regular studio album", no "new studio album" but a compilation. It is all so easy to see and so very logical - open your eyes and start to see.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: July 5, 2019 01:37

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-05 03:38 by SomeGuy.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: July 5, 2019 05:34

Keep checking here for news of the next album... I agree with GLS that Undercover was the last truly great studio album. BtB is the best since, imho, but still not anything like 1983 and prior. Now does that mean they can't produce a great record in 2019 or thereafter? They are absolutely capable of putting out something great; they just need to acknowledge that they are a different band than they were 36 years ago, and create music they love. Robert Plant has produced 4 excellent solo albums in a row. David Bowie's last album was brilliant. Bruce Springsteen has produced some excellent late period albums. They can do it, with the right attitude and the right production. My hope is that's why this latest one is taking so long... Maybe they want to take their time and get it right. It doesn't have to be amazing or anything-- just authentic and honest music from The Rolling Stones in their 70's.

Posted by: calipachangero ()
Date: July 5, 2019 07:35

Hairball
Breaking news:

QED! No real contribution here, although I like your posts in most other threads.

I know that this is a discussion thread. But it just feels there is no Basis to discuss on anymore. It's just speculations. A lower form of conversation when facts are not available anymore.
Start with a new thread, clean table, once we get the albums confirmation from the Stones directly.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 5, 2019 07:57

calipachangero
Hairball
Breaking news:

QED! No real contribution here, although I like your posts in most other threads.

I know that this is a discussion thread. But it just feels there is no Basis to discuss on anymore. It's just speculations. A lower form of conversation when facts are not available anymore.
Start with a new thread, clean table, once we get the albums confirmation from the Stones directly.

Part of me absolutely 100% agrees with this, while another part of me wholeheartedly disagrees. smiling smiley

Perhaps a new thread should be started every time a band member mentions "new album" in an interview?
Or wait until it's actually released to start a new thread - "THE NEW ALBUM IS HERE"!...seeing (and hearing) is believing after all.
Until then, the wheels keep on turning with thoughts being repeated, lots of ranting and raving, along with multiple detours that usually lead to nowhere. lol

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 5, 2019 08:55

HMS

Clearly shows that too much theorizing leads to chaos...
...if you take it a bit further, it's probably revealed that the Stones actually never released a "great" album at all (in theory, that is).

Date: July 5, 2019 09:08

retired_dog
HMS

...if you take it a bit further, it's probably revealed that the Stones actually never released a "great" album at all (in theory, that is).

As I mentioned earlier it seems like 1968-69 were their most productive years both in terms of quantity and quality. They seem to have done more in these two years than all the others combined.
So it only looks to be fair to name this period the base of their career thereafter. Of course, they were popular in 1967 already with hits like Satisfaction (1965) and Paint it Black (1966).
But most of their staples seems to come from those two years.

Date: July 5, 2019 10:20

Stoneage
retired_dog
HMS

As I mentioned earlier it seems like 1968-69 were their most productive years both in terms of quantity and quality. They seem to have done more in these two years than all the others combined.
So it only looks to be fair to name this period the base of their career thereafter. Of course, they were popular in 1967 already with hits like Satisfaction (1965) and Paint it Black (1966).

In quantity 1977 surely must have been their most productive year. Agree about the quality, though.

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: July 5, 2019 12:23

Mike Peters from The Alarm has just played Jumping Jack Flash on Virgin radio, the response was so good he played it twice!!!

anyway he then went down one floor to talksport but said with his home studio and modern technology he is in an out of his studio almost everday and its really no problem to do a new lp/cd in days or weeks

....who's gonna tell Keith!, I think mick already uses his laptop

Date: July 5, 2019 12:51

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
retired_dog
HMS

In quantity 1977 surely must have been their most productive year. Agree about the quality, though.

I'm sure you're right, Dandy. Let's nail it down to two studios instead of two years then - Olympic Studios and Pathé Marconi studios. When they spent time there things happened..

Date: July 5, 2019 13:02

ukcal
Mike Peters from The Alarm has just played Jumping Jack Flash on Virgin radio, the response was so good he played it twice!!!

anyway he then went down one floor to talksport but said with his home studio and modern technology he is in an out of his studio almost everday and its really no problem to do a new lp/cd in days or weeks

....who's gonna tell Keith!, I think mick already uses his laptop

Keith's got a new capstan roller on order for his cassette recorder...

...give him a break will ya !

Date: July 5, 2019 17:26

Tate
It doesn't have to be amazing or anything-- just authentic and honest music from The Rolling Stones in their 70's.

We already have that album.smoking smiley

Date: July 6, 2019 04:27

VoodooLounge13
So on June 21st, we were supposed to get some sort of news about new music....

June 21st came and went and still.............crickets.

That was the news.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 6, 2019 06:42

HMS
Tate
It doesn't have to be amazing or anything-- just authentic and honest music from The Rolling Stones in their 70's.

We already have that album.smoking smiley

Blue and Lonesome

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 6, 2019 15:36

and btw....long live rock n roll...obviously there are bands still able to write great music...too bad the Stones can't/won't anymore...
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: July 6, 2019 20:03

Stoneage
IanBillen
Stoneage
I get the feeling that this talk about "we're working on a new album" is a mantra to keep the kettle boiling or to have something to show for in interviews. More so than anything else.

Lol .. really? The Rolling Stones hardly need to talk about a new album just to get an interview yo. In case you missed it .. they are arguably the biggest Rock Stars on the planet. Kina been that way for a while. Not to mention they are pretty vague about it but all that is besides this crazy notion. They sell out stadiums .. they make the cover of magazines and get publicized on major websites .. etc. They do 'not' need to mention blurbs about an album in order to get interviews or for folks to read (/see) or to have something to show in their interviews. Come on now folks.. lets give em SOME credit Lol

Credit for what? An album that doesn't exist. I stand by what I said. They strive to give the impression that they are still an active band working on new material to hit the shelves within hours.
Of course that is not true but they need this spin - otherwise they would look like a nostalgia act. And that's the last thing Sir Michael would like them to look like. It would be bad for sales.
Why else would someone come up with the name Peter Pan?

I see what you mean (though I disagree). My apology .. I thought you were inferring they needed to mention to publicists a new album in order to 'get' (the ) interviews.

However the album is still real and in the works IMO .. (and is farther along than many think). Though I am frustrated by it as well as you.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...352353354355356357358359360361362...LastNext
Current Page: 357 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2583
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home