Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...247248249250251252253254255256257...LastNext
Current Page: 252 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 31, 2018 08:02

Hairball
For some artists in the future (young, old, famous, or not), the Stones are setting a new precedent on how to record and release a new album - talk alot and do very little about it. In the Stones' case, it doesn't really matter as their legacy is solid based on recordings from their first twenty years alone give or take. But for young bands, this could be detrimental not only to them, but for their fans, as well as music in general..."the Stones don't do shit anymore other than touring. They mention recording a new album occasionally, but work on it very little, so why should we? We want to be like the Stones man...very rich, spending most of our time on holiday and with family, and playing oldies to our adoring fans at outrageous prices". Works out great for the Stones and they've earned that right to do whatever they want, but some of the younguns are in for a big surprise if they try and pull this crap. Then again, most bands with any creative integrity would never even think of being so lazy and/or misleading- they'd put their shoulder to the wheel and get it done!

Exactly.

Mick has aped about not being like the Beach Boys, yet the Stones have been like the Beach Boys since 2005.

If your history is so powerul that you won't play new songs, then make the new songs really @#$%& good!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 31, 2018 09:56

I suspect that it's still easier for them to carry on as they are, in their familiar work cycles, than it is for them to actively contemplate the idea of stopping.

The crucial point will come when health and fitness start to force the issue.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 31, 2018 10:30

Spud
I suspect that it's still easier for them to carry on as they are, in their familiar work cycles, than it is for them to actively contemplate the idea of stopping.

The crucial point will come when health and fitness start to force the issue.

yeah, i think the end is nearer. Charlie gets massages for his back after each show. I guess the gigs are the hardest on him. Suspect they will stop after London gigs in 2020 or 2021.
Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-31 10:30 by corriecas.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 31, 2018 10:50

corriecas

Suspect they will stop after London gigs in 2020 or 2021.

Maybe 2023 - after Charlie's 60th Anniversary ....

Date: December 31, 2018 11:03

Irix
corriecas

Okay, lets Focus on 2023!!
(maybe we will get 4 new albums smileys with beerhot smileyhot smiley.)
Jeroen

joking ofcourse..the album they are working on will be released in 2023.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 31, 2018 11:21

corriecas
Irix
corriecas

Jeroen

I thought it's been downgraded to just a single now...to coincide with 60 and Counting/GRRR pt. II in 2022...or page 2022 of this thread (or whatever comes first). confused smileywinking smiley

"Nobody ever works
Yeah nothing gets done..."

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: December 31, 2018 11:32

Hairball, u r up late, my boy.

plexi

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 31, 2018 12:01

I'm currently in Vegas, and it's only 2:00 AM!

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: December 31, 2018 13:42

Still up? It is 440 am here, cant sleep, but now that I've had my peanut butter and jelly sandwich, I will when I go back to bed after finishing here. Celebrating New Year's Eve in Vegas?

plexi

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: December 31, 2018 22:12

corriecas
Irix
corriecas

Jeroen

NO--2064....for my 101st birthday!!

Date: January 1, 2019 06:26

diverseharmonics
corriecas
Irix
corriecas

Jeroen

NO--2064....for my 101st birthday!!
I'll be 63 winking smiley

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 1, 2019 07:15

I would be in my nineties in the unlikely event I live that long.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 1, 2019 10:06

Rocky Dijon
retired_dog

they're constantly record material over the years because by now, the end of their touring years is (very) near and by now, they know it. Keith's interview quote "next tour could be the last one, I don't know" or the like does indeed sound very different from the joyous mood of the "we tour until we die"-attitude he came up with until now.

Once the touring days will be finally over, having one or two album's worth of material in the can does probably make more commercial sense than putting out the stuff now while they still generate a considerable income from playing live.

Dave Stewart remarked a year or two after SUPERHEAVY underperformed to his expectations that Mick had enough material in the can for a box set (likely an exaggeration) of unreleased solo material. Dave played the interviewer a track called "Time Flies" which had a gospel choir singing harmony. The interviewer thought it sounded like vintage Stones. Dave considered it one of the best things Mick had ever done. Dave suggested Mick make all this material (co-written and/or co-produced with Dave) available on a cloud and promote it as "Get Off on My Cloud."

And that's just Jagger-Stewart. There are at least 40 Jagger-Clifford songs waiting in the wings as well. Admittedly, some may be reworked from Jagger-Stewart (Mick does do that sort of thing). Will we ever hear any of it? Likely once the Stones are done. Matt is now producing, but there's Carl Falk, there's Dave Stewart, there's Fatbloy Slim, there's Darkchild, there's Ashley Beadle and will i. am, there's Jimmy Iovine, there's Babyface. All of these people have worked up tracks with Jagger in the past 22 years. There were Jagger songs played at some of L'wren's fashion shows that have never turned up like "Run Me Down" and "Angel." These songs will all surface one day.

Perhaps the Stones album will be banked until the sales are maximized by a final end to the band as well. Don Was worked on outtakes from 1989 - 2011 and that's not counting whatever new material has come about. Are they sitting on a great album for the ages? Probably not. Will there be some sort of package, a box set, a two-disc set, a single disc yet to come? Probably yes to all of those options. Remember Don Was saying "Scarlet" would have been a hit then and now in 2010? Where did it go. Don worked on GOATS HEAD SOUP and TATTOO YOU deluxe editions that never surfaced. Everything goes somewhere even if it's under lock and key for now.

So no Stones album to hope for until it's done and dusted? Maybe. The end is near and then the floodgates open anyway. It doesn't make me happy to think about it being over, but there's always a plan for what's next after the touring days are finished.

Hi Rocky! Do you think they're working on some of those outtakes for the new album?
I hope Don Was has convinced them to work on the best outtakes from previous sessions (and hidden gems!).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-01 10:25 by KRiffhard.

Date: January 1, 2019 16:27

Hi KRiffhard, if what I posted below was correct (and mpj200 seemed to indicate it was accurate), then yes they have worked on completing or otherwise reworking outtakes. How much material that leaves us with (more than 20 tracks, certainly) and what will be done with all of it, I couldn't say. There are folks here who are actually connected or closer to sources so we should know more information soon.

[iorr.org]

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 1, 2019 16:43

Rocky Dijon
Hi KRiffhard, if what I posted below was correct (and mpj200 seemed to indicate it was accurate), then yes they have worked on completing or otherwise reworking outtakes. How much material that leaves us with (more than 20 tracks, certainly) and what will be done with all of it, I couldn't say. There are folks here who are actually connected or closer to sources so we should know more information soon.

[iorr.org]

Many thanks Rocky thumbs up

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: January 1, 2019 19:55

My baseless speculation on tour structure and new album release:

Something I've noticed that seems different about this current crop of shows as compared to the pattern since about 2012, when they seem to have adopted something more in the direction of the Never-Ending Tour model (for lack of a better term; we need a name for this as applied to the RS), in which they have not had a themed tour based on a new album as previously and have had limited sets of shows but with shorter layoffs in between legs of the "tour", and that is the lead time from ticket sales to show is very long this go-round, like before, when they would make an album and tour behind it. For this reason I think they had planned on releasing an album early in the year before the tour start. When is the last time tickets went on sale 5 whole months before the shows? Maybe memory fails me, as I've only had the occasion to see them as of late on the Zip Code "tour", but I thought the new model was to announce the shows only a couple of months in advance, and I assumed that was for insurance reasons or something, and it was also convenient since they weren't promoting anything (i.e., new album).

Basically, I think what happened is that the new album was absolutely planned for early this year, and the tour following was intended to support it. But for whatever reason they seem to have scrapped plans to finish up the album just yet. Maybe they sat down with the record company and decided what they had just wasn't up to scratch. Or maybe Keith and Mick just don't see eye to eye on track selection and cannot come to a compromise. Looking back at over this incredibly long thread it seems that things sure were headed for a conclusion soon and all that came to a screeching halt recently. Will they surprise us and say they were just kidding about taking another year to finish the album and release it on April Fools Day? I hope so because I'm feeling really duped. I always loved to hear fresh music on the tours; I'll be there in April regardless, but I sure would like Mick to preface a song with, "Here's one from our new album..."

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 1, 2019 19:57

Wow. Hopefully they'll release the GOATS HEAD SOUP and TATTOO YOU deluxe albums this year! With the stadium tour looming, why not? Although they really don't need to reissue the original LP with them, hopefully stand alone issues.

Unless the LPs are correctly remastered...

Date: January 1, 2019 19:58

Wont happen.
Sorry.
Release date 2023.
Jeroen

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: January 1, 2019 20:03

Also I'd like to add that I really appreciate and look forward to substantive posts by Rocky Dijon and others. It keeps me coming back. Happy New Year!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 1, 2019 20:12

GasLightStreet
Wow. Hopefully they'll release the GOATS HEAD SOUP and TATTOO YOU deluxe albums this year! With the stadium tour looming, why not? Although they really don't need to reissue the original LP with them, hopefully stand alone issues.

Unless the LPs are correctly remastered...

yeah, I think these would be great, and obviously a 50 year LIB boxset much be coming (hopefully a few more goodies than TSMR and BB were able to muster).

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 1, 2019 23:36

Sipuncula
... a themed tour ...

Although this doesn't have to do with the album(-hopefully)-in-progress, when did they actually start to do "themed" tours? The first one I remember was "Urban Jungle", where the tour had an actual name of its own that didn't even relate to any album (I seem to remember that the 1989 US tour was called Steel Wheels even back then, but maybe that was only because it was a tour meant to support the album?). -- I remember there were people over here who thought there was an upcoming album Urban Jungle, because that tour had that name. ...

I don't recall any tour (by anyone) from the 70s and 80s that came with a name. Thus the 82 tour of Europe was not the Tattoo You tour or Still Life tour, etc.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: January 2, 2019 01:50

71 tour was Farewell to Britain on something like that. 75 was Tour of the Americas

Date: January 2, 2019 05:53

I was wondering about tour names like Urban Jungle, 14 On Fire (Stones), or Uncertain Times (King Crimson 2018).

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: January 2, 2019 06:10

So ... Georgelicks .. mpj ... someone?

does anyone know what happend or why the change and whats the POA (plan of action now?)

No New Single in Jan / Feb ...

No new album by tour

No December Session that we know of ..

Those were the rumors .. anyone know why these things were canceled or didn't take place. Any word through the grapevine?

Date: January 2, 2019 06:15

Probably won't get anything more than this for the time being. Not without serious consequences.

[iorr.org]

Date: January 2, 2019 06:58

IanBillen

Wasn't there Ron doing something with Mick? (Not the kind of sessions we hoped for but still better than tnothing at all?)

Date: January 2, 2019 08:18

Rocky Dijon
Probably won't get anything more than this for the time being. Not without serious consequences.

[iorr.org]

Roger that.

Date: January 2, 2019 08:22

doitywoik
IanBillen

Wasn't there Ron doing something with Mick? (Not the kind of sessions we hoped for but still better than tnothing at all?)

Yes .. Ronnie said in an interview he was going to go to France the following week to visit with Mick to see how the songs were coming along and he illuded he was going to contributing to them in some way. He also added that Mick and Keith want the songs to be real good.

Date: January 2, 2019 08:24

doitywoik
IanBillen

Yep. I posted that Ronnie did a session with Mick in December adding to what he did with Keith earlier. Confimred by mpj200 so it appears to be authentic.

[iorr.org]

[iorr.org]

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 2, 2019 09:10

Okey, the obvious question: Does anyone care by now? Is the market screaming after a new Stones album in 2019? I think Knight Commander has already figured out the answer on this one...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...247248249250251252253254255256257...LastNext
Current Page: 252 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2216
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home