Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...226227228229230231232233234235236...LastNext
Current Page: 231 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: November 29, 2018 22:38

HOLY CRAP

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: November 30, 2018 00:08

matxil
Palace Revolution 2000
I have reached the point of 'Screw that album by now". And I say this with deference to Ian Billen and his tireless optimism; but I see even Ian is getting a bit testy.
If it takes you this long, and this much hooplah to drag your butts together to lay down a few 3-chorders then I;m not interested. I never even bought 'Blue & Lonesome", which would have been unheard of in my world. But the late era Stones exasperate me. I keep coming back to Pete's quote "Please don't grow old gracefully..". He was right, and so in a way they are being very Rolling Stone-y by going against the grain, and being cranky. But this is not what they are leading us on in interviews. I sort of wish they would come out and say it "Wot? New album? Can't be bothered!"

I can understand how some of you may not be very happy about this news and disappointed. But I don't understand why you could blame the Stones for this. I mean, it's not them who brought this whole "a new album's coming in 2016, 2017, 2018" story into the world, so why blame them? They jam sometimes apparently. That at least indicates they are getting along. They seem to enjoy the jams, so good for them. Whether it will result in an album or not is impossible to predict. My impression is that on this forum most people would welcome any album by the Stones, because "hey, it's the Stones!". Apparently Mick seems to think it's a pity not to make an album, so maybe he feels the same way: any album would do. Charlie couldn't care less. Keith and Ronnie, I don't know.

Ahem excuse me !!
It was Keith who initiated making this album , EP or whatever it will be, Keith was banging on to the media that he wanted to make another album of originals.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: November 30, 2018 01:19

I look forward to the results with interest, but suspect GeorgeLicks' (Soldatti's) next update won't be a good one. Bjornulf had a reason to remove the "sticky" from the thread, but was too much of a gentleman to disclose what he knew.

Sadly, you're right.

The band has over 20 "songs" recorded over the past 2-3 years, but it seems that most of these "songs" are loose jams or raw demos, we can guess that the stuff is very much like the Licks sessions leaked earlier this year and neither, the band/Don Was or Universal, is on board of this stuff, uneven was the word on Universal last year and even Ronnie said something like starting fresh again.

The main problem here is the lack of focus on the studio, since 2012 the band tours 2-3 months a year, every year, so after the tour they go on vacations or semi-retired life style and when they get together again after 4-6 months, a new tour is lined up so the studio work is minimal, 3-4 days every 3-6 months so nothing is fully completed, or worse, they are not pleassed with the results.

Yet, we can expect a couple of new songs right before the new tour, maybe even an EP of 3-4 songs if they are pleassed with some of the stuff around, that's the best we can hope.

The band has no deadline to deliver new stuff, 1991's Virgin deal was for 3 new albums and the last one was released in 2005, almost 15 years after the signed contract, so they have no rush at all, if they are not happy with the stuff, nothing will get released.

After 13-14 years the Stones can't release an ordinary new album with average stuff, their back catalog is a huge burden, a project like Blue and Lonesome fits well on their history, but a new album of new songs is a different story.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 30, 2018 01:36

And there it is...thanks for the update georgelicks.
Not fully what I wanted to hear, but sort of what I've been expecting. Seems The Sun article was correct with the EP story and was not a typo - same with bv mentioning the EP.
Looking forward to at least one or two new songs before the tour, and at most an EP of three or four new tunes, but somehow anything at all still seems to be wishful thinking at this point.
A new tour with a new song...okey dokey.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 30, 2018 02:13

I guess the only thing nagging at me is...what happened to Matt and his highly-polished demos made for quick and easy overdubbing? 20 ramshackle jams? That doesn't sound like Mick material.

Carl Falk has produced two sessions a year apart and the best they get out of it are jam sessions? That doesn't sound right.

If it was a description of what Keith and Steve were working up at Germano, it would be a bit more plausible, but even then...why would Universal put together a release strategy and timing if they hadn't heard the material to know most of it wasn't actually substantially complete?

Why would Keyon Harrold overdub trumpet on a track in 2016 or Bernard cut backing vocals if they're not nearly finished?

This isn't just me wanting to cling desperately to my sources over anyone else's, it simply doesn't add up.

Forgive my suspicious nature, Soldatti. I trust you completely, but I suspect you're not being fed the whole story.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: November 30, 2018 02:49

Ronnie did an interview a couple weeks ago stating the band was going to finish the album and 'tour with it' ... ??

*and wait a minute here: Was also reported that they would release three singles from it starting in late February before the album that was to come in May-June... ?

Now we are hearing all we could possibly hope for is 2-3 songs and that's if we are lucky with no album ahead and we are advised to not hope for much over all concerning it....? These updates always coincide with the Stones latest interviews and their particular demeanor. I ..as Rocky does.. think possibly some folks are being fed assumed information (no disrespect)

They have spent time in the studio.. It was reported many songs were complete .. full songs. It was also reported many of them have different versions.

We are now back to don't hope for too much. I'm not being a smart arse ..and I am not only talking about members of this board .. hell I'm even kind of referring to The Stones themselves ...

But the story changes every week on the status of this album. It can't be 1/2 finished, almost finished, just rough demos, barely started, early stages, many songs completed with different versions ... All at once.

Keith claims the energy is great at the sessions .. Mick claims it's good and that it's going good..... so does Ronnie. Sessions are going great according to them and ya-da-ya-da-ya-da ..and yet they have nothing to show for it .. no word on it ... no general time line.. no release time frame .. no nothing?

Now they are in Paris recording with everyone ..

>> I'm with Rocky .. something is definitely missing here .. In fact.. a whole lot is missing.

Perhaps we don't know the whole truth? Good or bad?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-30 06:26 by IanBillen.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: November 30, 2018 03:40

IanBillen
Ronnie did an interview a couple weeks ago stating the band was going to finish the album and 'tour with it' ... Was also reported that they would release three singles before the album that was to come in June.

Then we hear EP. Now 2-3 songs .. and don't hope for much.

They have spent time in the studio.. It was reported many songs were complete .. full songs. It was also reported many of them have different versions.

We are now back to don't hope for too much. I'm not being a smart arse ..and I am not only talking about members of this board .. hell I'm even kind of referring to The Stones themselves ...
there is no motivation to record new tunes anymore. Tour and make more cash now. Play the 16 warhorses now.

But the story changes every week on the status of this album. It can't be 1/2 finished, almost finished, just rough demos, barely started, early stages, many songs completed with different versions ... All at once.

Keith claims the energy is great at the sessions .. Mick claims its good ..... so does Ronnie and the sessions are going great and ya-da-ya-da-ya-da ..and yet they have nothing to show for it .. no time line.. no release time frame .. no nothing?

Now they are in Paris recording with everyone ..

I'm with Rocky .. something is definitely missing here .. In fact.. a whole lot is missing.

Perhaps we don't know the whole truth? Good or bad?

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: November 30, 2018 04:23

It might be wishful thinking on my part, but as I recall, a year before Blue and Lonesome was recorded, not released, it was stated that they had an album complete and were so excited they immediately started on a new one. I’m expecting an Eminem Kamikaze drop in the near future, if anybody knows what that means.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: November 30, 2018 04:31

nonfilter
I’m expecting an Eminem Kamikaze drop in the near future, if anybody knows what that means.[/quote

I do, and that's what I'm hoping for as well!

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: November 30, 2018 04:40

nonfilter
It might be wishful thinking on my part, but as I recall, a year before Blue and Lonesome was recorded, not released, it was stated that they had an album complete and were so excited they immediately started on a new one. I’m expecting an Eminem Kamikaze drop in the near future, if anybody knows what that means.

Exactly ... we've heard it all... (very much and including from them)

One month ago we heard they are doing things differently in the recording process and that in actuality the album is almost done. Therefore ...The album was to come in May-June and we were to get three singles starting in late February ... Now all that is off the table and we supposedly lucky to get anything at all because they are all just jams? This all comes within the 24 hour time frame of the Stones down-playing the progress of the album in public interviews.

I mean I'ma just sayin .. the story changes direction the very moment a new interview is released.

Not bein a jerk .. not calling anyone out.. I'm just pointing out I think people
are being fed the information that is already out there coming from the Stones in their interviews.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-30 04:44 by IanBillen.

Date: November 30, 2018 04:51

nonfilter

Not sure I ever heard that story, but that would have been four years ago with many twists and turns since then, so I suppose it might have been stated somewhere?

But a year before Blue and Lonesome was recorded (Recorded in December 2015), Keith was probably still tinkering away and putting some finishing touches on his labor of love - Crosseyed Heart - released in Aug. 2015.
Not sure where a new complete Stones album that they were excited about fits in to that scenario. They then reconvened to record a new album of originals, but they took a detour by recording a bunch of blues covers which wasn't released until a year later in Dec. '16. Surely there was work on originals somewhere in that time frame, and everybody was excited about the prospects of it, but again nothing they could have been too excited about. And then there was the Getta Grip stumbling block...this whole saga is perplexing and some day they could make a movie about it!

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 30, 2018 06:40

georgelicks
I look forward to the results with interest, but suspect GeorgeLicks' (Soldatti's) next update won't be a good one. Bjornulf had a reason to remove the "sticky" from the thread, but was too much of a gentleman to disclose what he knew.

Sadly, you're right.

The band has over 20 "songs" recorded over the past 2-3 years, but it seems that most of these "songs" are loose jams or raw demos, we can guess that the stuff is very much like the Licks sessions leaked earlier this year and neither, the band/Don Was or Universal, is on board of this stuff, uneven was the word on Universal last year and even Ronnie said something like starting fresh again.

The main problem here is the lack of focus on the studio, since 2012 the band tours 2-3 months a year, every year, so after the tour they go on vacations or semi-retired life style and when they get together again after 4-6 months, a new tour is lined up so the studio work is minimal, 3-4 days every 3-6 months so nothing is fully completed, or worse, they are not pleassed with the results.

Yet, we can expect a couple of new songs right before the new tour, maybe even an EP of 3-4 songs if they are pleassed with some of the stuff around, that's the best we can hope.

The band has no deadline to deliver new stuff, 1991's Virgin deal was for 3 new albums and the last one was released in 2005, almost 15 years after the signed contract, so they have no rush at all, if they are not happy with the stuff, nothing will get released.

After 13-14 years the Stones can't release an ordinary new album with average stuff, their back catalog is a huge burden, a project like Blue and Lonesome fits well on their history, but a new album of new songs is a different story.

Appreciate the update George. And still mention of new songs by April, can’t really complain....

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 30, 2018 07:34

It's so confusing, I don't know who to believe!!
From "almost finished/finished album" to "loose jams/raw demos"... eye rolling smiley
Bungo and others...i think you have to recall your sources! winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-30 07:39 by KRiffhard.

Date: November 30, 2018 07:50

KRiffhard
It's so confusing, I don't know who to believe!!
From "almost finished/finished album" to "loose jams/raw demos"... eye rolling smiley
Bungo and others...i think you have to recall your sources! winking smiley

Wasn't Bungo the one who previously said the songs are "cocaine fueled"? lol...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 30, 2018 09:41

Thanks georgelicks for your update. And thanks also to Mick, Keith and Ronnie for their 'update'...eye rolling smiley

"Loose jams" and "raw demos"... hmmm... that's the reality (?) of the stuff "half-finished", "almost finished", and "in the can"... "early days" indeed...

If that's true of the state of the affairs now it looks like that the creative process didn't quite happen as they first planned. Remember the deal with BLUE & LONESOME Jagger was talking about was initially releasing that as a bonus album to the album of originals (or with it). That was some three years ago. Then there was some talk of cutting the stuff again (Mick and Ronnie). Anything was at least "half finished" at the time...

We can ask with Charlie that 'what happened to that album?'... Was the material so subpar that they decided to forget it and start from a scratch again..?

So what have we now:

"Loose jams" = Keith's "three dynamite riffs" 'worked out' by the band. (?)
"Raw demos" = Some of Mick's "40 demos" untouched. Something Mick goes occasionally to introduce to Keith and they talk about them, have a "great time" together, but do nothing...(?)

How can it be so difficult? They cut "Doom & Gloom" and "One More Shot" in three days (it seemingly didn't take too much time for Jagger to make and release his single). Mick's demos aren't good enough and Keith doesn't have anything finished to throw on the table? And none of them have no any interest or stamina to spend too many days in the studio together..? Could it be that the 'artistic freedom' they enjoy now, since there is no deadline nor any careerwise need to release anything, plus no money in records, doesn't quite work for the working ethics and creative juices of The Rolling Stones? Usually the band does their best and work their asses off when there is someone holding a gun against their forehead (be it competition, a need to prove something, $$$...). Or is it simply that they are way too old, disinterest and lazy to care? For which they have every right for.

Good reasons for starting to be a Doubting Thomas, but I haven't lost my hope yet... Something doesn't quite hold up there...

But fortunately we have endless amount of digital space left to speculate some more..grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-30 09:47 by Doxa.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: November 30, 2018 10:51

georgelicks

thumbs up

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 30, 2018 10:54

The Glimmer Twins at the studio AD 2018:

- You got something more?
- Sure, Keef... Here is one I just made with Matt. [hitting the button and something terrible comes out from the speakers]
- Bloody hell, that's the same shit again. Turn it off! That's no Stones, man...
- Okay, okay...[hits the off button]... Your turn then.
- Look, I have this riff... hmm.. how did it go... can't quite recall now, but something like this.. [tries to make some sensible noises out of his guitar]
- [looking exhausted and bored] That's nice, Keith... But you know, I was thinking more in terms of songs. You got any?
- Wait a minute, this is developing... If you just could add a bit of melody and lyrics there...
- Look, I'm a bit hurry now. Nice seeing you, bro. See you in tour rehearsals.
- See ya, Mick. Always a pleasure. A nice session we had![looking reliefed while handing off his guitar to his guitar technician]
- Don't forget to mention that in interviews! [shouts from the doorway]
- Hahaha... I won't.

Some humor always helps, no?smiling smiley

- Doxa

Date: November 30, 2018 11:11

«Yeah, we’ve been hacking songs into shape. I’m gonna go off to Paris and see Mick next week and see what his latest thoughts are after he’s got together with Keith. It’s an ongoing thing of comparing what is on the cooker at the moment and some ideas we’ve had for years that we may embellish upon. It’s quite interesting building this new album. You can’t say there’s a title for it. The tracks haven’t actually been chosen yet».

Is «interesting» the new word for «frustrating», or are they just playing with us (and their distributors, Universal)?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 30, 2018 11:17

I have a feeling Commander is not willing to release a new album before the tour since that would mean they would have to rehearse new songs prior to the tour start.
(And do a lot of PR - which I think he is tired of). I don't think Sir Michael trusts his own group in that respect. Doing the same routine is easier and safer. Pure speculation, I know...

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: November 30, 2018 11:53

Doxa

- Sure, Keef... Here is one I just made with Matt. [hitting the button and something terrible comes out from the speakers]
- Bloody hell, that's the same shit again. Turn it off! That's no Stones, man...
- Look, I have this riff... hmm.. how did it go... can't quite recall now, but something like this.. [tries to make some sensible noises out of his guitar]
- [looking exhausted and bored] That's nice, Keith... But you know, I was thinking more in terms of songs. You got any?
- Wait a minute, this is developing... If you just could add a bit of melody and lyrics there...
- See ya, Mick. Always a pleasure. A nice session we had![looking reliefed while handing off his guitar to his guitar technician]
- Hahaha... I won't.

- Doxa

smiling smiley

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: November 30, 2018 13:15

Doxa

- Hahaha... I won't.

- Doxa

Haha that just made my day Doxa, brilliant thumbs up

The funny thing is that there is obviously a lot of truth in your humour, judging by all the info we can gather it goes something like you said grinning smiley

It must go the same way in rehearsals,

Keith says, "Hey Mick, shall we rehearse The last Time", Mick "yeah sure Keith whatever" confused smiley
Sounds good Keith got anymore, Yeah Mick we haven't done Let It Loose live before, fancy getting your chops round that one ?
Mick say " Hmm aham, i dunno Keith it would mean dropping Miss You if we include those two numbers", Mick say "hey Ronnie lets rehearse Miss You instead, hows it go again" ?
Ronnie cranks up the intro, Mick shouts "Ahh Ronnie this is more like it, far out man."

Keith "argh"

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 30, 2018 15:14

DandelionPowderman
«Yeah, we’ve been hacking songs into shape. I’m gonna go off to Paris and see Mick next week and see what his latest thoughts are after he’s got together with Keith. It’s an ongoing thing of comparing what is on the cooker at the moment and some ideas we’ve had for years that we may embellish upon. It’s quite interesting building this new album. You can’t say there’s a title for it. The tracks haven’t actually been chosen yet».

Is «interesting» the new word for «frustrating», or are they just playing with us (and their distributors, Universal)?

Gonna be called Tatoo II a bit of embellished old plus new...>grinning smiley<

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 30, 2018 15:25

matxil
georgelicks

thumbs up

And the more they wait the worse it gets ! The stuff leaked from the Licks sessions would have made a decent 10 track record back in 2002, certainly no worse than ER or UC. But no they decided to "rework" the tracks for ABB, raising expectations and finally coming up with something very "ordinary". How could they, or anyone else, hope that 10+ years down the road in it would be any easier or less ordinary ? That boat has sailed...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: November 30, 2018 16:04

georgelicks

Sadly, you're right.

And with «can't» you mean «don't want to», I presume?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 30, 2018 17:29

From history, which many people seems to forget about:

Steel Wheels (1989)
Voodoo Lounge (1994)
Bridges to Babylon (1997)
A Bigger Bang (2005)
The next one (2019 or so)

Years between new self penned albums:

5 years
3 years
8 years
14 years or so

These are the years it has taken for The Rollinmg Stones i.e. Mick and Keith to agree on the contents and the mixes on their recent self penned studio albums.

They may do as many Stripped or No Security or Blue and Lonesome and so on, these are all easy, they might do one per year, but it makes no sense. We want another Exile or Sticky, nothing less, and they know it. By the way, I am a great fan of both "Bridges To Babylon" and "A Bigger Bang", so for me, those rank high up there as well, and I sure remember having more than half of A Bigger Bang live on that tour, which was great.

Their next self penned studio album will be the first one in 14 years or so. No wonder they want it to be right. Very very right. They don't want to pick 12 out of 20, I am pretty sure they want the next album to be superior. That takes time. They need more to choose from, they are not there yet. Meanwhile, they are grandfathers and family men and are busy with a zillion other activities, which you should be, at age mid seventy.

We may get a few new songs for the 2019 No Filter US tour, may be even an EP, if they agree on those songs. But it is more and more clear, from sources I have, from interviews with Mick, Keith and Ronnie, and from the development of this new album, that they want to take their time.

First another tour, then we will see. I think it is a great priority plan. They have to tour now, while they can. The album will be there. I am ready for it when it is there, and like always, I am patient, very patient. When this thread is at 400 or may be 500 pages, then we can talk. Meanwhile, another tour, and may be another one, patience is the word. Still.

Bjornulf

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: November 30, 2018 17:37

For sure, they take their time...smileys with beer

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 30, 2018 18:08

bv
From history, which many people seems to forget about:

Steel Wheels (1989)
Voodoo Lounge (1994)
Bridges to Babylon (1997)
A Bigger Bang (2005)
The next one (2019 or so)

Years between new self penned albums:

5 years
3 years
8 years
14 years or so

These are the years it has taken for The Rollinmg Stones i.e. Mick and Keith to agree on the contents and the mixes on their recent self penned studio albums.

They may do as many Stripped or No Security or Blue and Lonesome and so on, these are all easy, they might do one per year, but it makes no sense. We want another Exile or Sticky, nothing less, and they know it. By the way, I am a great fan of both "Bridges To Babylon" and "A Bigger Bang", so for me, those rank high up there as well, and I sure remember having more than half of A Bigger Bang live on that tour, which was great.

Their next self penned studio album will be the first one in 14 years or so. No wonder they want it to be right. Very very right. They don't want to pick 12 out of 20, I am pretty sure they want the next album to be superior. That takes time. They need more to choose from, they are not there yet. Meanwhile, they are grandfathers and family men and are busy with a zillion other activities, which you should be, at age mid seventy.

We may get a few new songs for the 2019 No Filter US tour, may be even an EP, if they agree on those songs. But it is more and more clear, from sources I have, from interviews with Mick, Keith and Ronnie, and from the development of this new album, that they want to take their time.

First another tour, then we will see. I think it is a great priority plan. They have to tour now, while they can. The album will be there. I am ready for it when it is there, and like always, I am patient, very patient. When this thread is at 400 or may be 500 pages, then we can talk. Meanwhile, another tour, and may be another one, patience is the word. Still.

Hi BV, tell your sources that we'd settle for another Tattoo You!! winking smiley

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 30, 2018 20:11

They didn't agree July last year and Mick released two new songs....

Date: November 30, 2018 20:17

Blue and Lonesome II might be the answer after all!

No real time or effort needed - just get in a room, pick some favorite oldies, play them, and hit record!
Voila - problem solved and will buy them some more time until they can get it together for some new originals - three more years if that's what it takes.

Keith hinted at his desire to do so awhile ago, and it would help solve many problems.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 30, 2018 20:25

gotdablouse
matxil
georgelicks

thumbs up

And the more they wait the worse it gets ! The stuff leaked from the Licks sessions would have made a decent 10 track record back in 2002, certainly no worse than ER or UC. But no they decided to "rework" the tracks for ABB, raising expectations and finally coming up with something very "ordinary". How could they, or anyone else, hope that 10+ years down the road in it would be any easier or less ordinary ? That boat has sailed...

'Their back catalogue is a huge burden' ??
Not to musicians like McCartney, David Crosby, U2, Neil Young, Rod Stewart etc.

Also: does Keith really have a 'zillion other things to do with his time'??.....

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...226227228229230231232233234235236...LastNext
Current Page: 231 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1923
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home