Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...222223224225226227228229230231232...LastNext
Current Page: 227 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 26, 2018 23:28

Not sure why talk of an EP is causing some to conclude no LP. Perhaps georgelicks can provide some clarification.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-26 23:29 by bye bye johnny.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: November 27, 2018 00:15

Hairball
*I was referring to albums of original Stones material - not the covers album.
But now that it's mentioned, I was sort of in the middle regarding B&L - positive regarding the production, but not so positive regarding the remakes themselves.
These days I met some musicians and great blues fans, they are not fans of the Stones, and everyone has said that B & L is a great cover album.
The greatness of B & L is that it adds nothing, the Stones play these covers just for fun as it should always be in the blues, in the blues there is nothing more to add and the Stones have understood it. I admit that listening to these words made me very happy ...

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: November 27, 2018 00:25

I'd prefer 5-6 really good songs on an EP then a full album w 5 really good songs and 5 mediocre songs.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: November 27, 2018 01:03

The EP was already discussed on pp 215ff. Maybe a typo/misunderstanding in The Sun.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: November 27, 2018 01:10

If i may make myself so bold, BV can you confirm or deny if you Know that the forthcoming release of new material is an EP or an LP.

If it's a secret then OK i understand.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 27, 2018 01:13

I doubt bv would have made typo in a post on such a "sensitive" of an issue. We might still get an album later, like they hinted at in 2002 and 2012...Maybe the EP is a way to get "things" going again but most likely not to start yet another new tour completely "empty-handed". However uninterested most of the audience will be in a new track it will still be an "easier/positive" sell than "and now here's One Hit (to the body) an old song we don't play very often" ;-)

KRiffhard
chriseganstar
Paris studio booked for end November, plus Don Was.

...are you sure?! winking smiley

Well November is not quite finished yet !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: November 27, 2018 01:22

Best would of course be both an EP and an LP (with different songs) .... let's be optimistic, no?

Date: November 27, 2018 01:43

doitywoik
Best would of course be both an EP and an LP (with different songs) .... let's be optimistic, no?

smileys with beer That would be fantastic, dream come true.

I find it hard to believe we would receive just an EP after all this time unless the well truly has run dry.

Date: November 27, 2018 02:11

Yep, first there's Run Rudolph Run as a warm up, next week we get A Stones Christmas (if Bob and Eric could do it, why shouldn't the Stones?), and Jingle Bells will be premiered live on the American tour ... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Seriously now, and EP plus an LP might even resolve the "modernist" Mick vs. "traditionalist" Keith issue (if the issue is real and doesn't just exist in our heads). An Ep for Mick's experiments and an LP for the fans grinning smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 27, 2018 02:59

Testify
Hairball
*I was referring to albums of original Stones material - not the covers album.
But now that it's mentioned, I was sort of in the middle regarding B&L - positive regarding the production, but not so positive regarding the remakes themselves.
These days I met some musicians and great blues fans, they are not fans of the Stones, and everyone has said that B & L is a great cover album.
The greatness of B & L is that it adds nothing, the Stones play these covers just for fun as it should always be in the blues, in the blues there is nothing more to add and the Stones have understood it. I admit that listening to these words made me very happy ...

That pretty much sums it up - they didn't really add anything. Nothing wrong with that, but personally I'd rather hear the originals and/or earlier versions. That said, the B&L cover tunes I did see them play live were excellent - they truly shined in a live setting mixed in with all the warhorses, and wish they would have played more. But what really caught my attention with B&L in a positive way was the minimal production and the fact they sound like a real working band - no bells, whistles, gimmicks, excessive overdubs, etc. Glad the Stones had some fun with the covers, and it was great to hear them all on the same page, but it's about time they record and release some originals. And while Mick doesn't sound so sure about a new Stones album, at least he realizes they haven't released many in the latter era. Here's to hoping...thumbs up

bv
The Mich Jagger interview with AP is saying this:

- Yes they are working on the new songs, and when Mick says "hope" he is in the "secrets" corner which means they are working on the new songs

- They might blend in 1-2 new songs from the EP (which is expected winter/spring) live next year, but no more, because this is a stadium tour

Thanks for the update bv - looking forward to one or two new tunes from what I guess is going to be an EP vs the long awaited LP.
On the bright side, something is better than nothing!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-27 03:01 by Hairball.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: November 27, 2018 03:50

I really don’t get why they seem to not want to include covers on their albums. All their best albums have had covers on them.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: November 27, 2018 04:00

JumpingKentFlash
I really don’t get why they seem to not want to include covers on their albums. All their best albums have had covers on them.

Yes a cover tune is always welcome, and their best covers have been reinterpreted to set them apart from versions that came before.
Love in Vain, Time is on My Side, Stop Breaking Down, Just My Imaggination to name a few. Even their version of the Beatles' I Wanna Be Your Man was on another level with the stinging guitar solo!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 27, 2018 06:31

KRiffhard
matxil
KRiffhard

Too much 'musical philosophy'...it's only r'n'r!! A new Stones album must be an event which we should welcome with much enthusiasm and positivity!

Why exactly?

You can find the answer at 0:26!!
[youtu.be]

Uh... what? THAT is the video for Don't Stop? Ugh.

Date: November 27, 2018 06:33

JumpingKentFlash

Not this one.

Posted by: cyclist ()
Date: November 27, 2018 06:49

There have been over two BILLION people born on earth since the release of that album.

Date: November 27, 2018 06:59

cyclist
There have been over two BILLION people born on earth since the release of that album.

So. EOMS still hasn't sold as many copies as TY either.

Date: November 27, 2018 13:09

Hairball
But what really caught my attention with B&L in a positive way was the minimal production and the fact they sound like a real working band - no bells, whistles, gimmicks, excessive overdubs, etc.

That's exactly how I'd like to hear the new songs: no gimmicks, no excessive overdubs. To me, the Stones always sound best when they sound just natural, just playing their stuff. That's also Part of what makes, say, SF and EOMS so great. Just imagine (or better don't) what these albums had sounded like if given the full-blown 21st century treatment of digital studio trickery and gimmickry. We don't really want to know, do we (except, maybe, for academic purposes winking smiley).

The Paris Sessions give an idea how great new songs might sound when just played, without heavy production (which of course presupposes that the songs themselves are finished and ready to be played).

re covers:
Better a good cover than a lame original. However, I could well live without stuff like Cherry Oh Baby ...

Date: November 27, 2018 13:18

doitywoik
Hairball
But what really caught my attention with B&L in a positive way was the minimal production and the fact they sound like a real working band - no bells, whistles, gimmicks, excessive overdubs, etc.

That's exactly how I'd like to hear the new songs: no gimmicks, no excessive overdubs. To me, the Stones always sound best when they sound just natural, just playing their stuff. That's also Part of what makes, say, SF and EOMS so great. Just imagine (or better don't) what these albums had sounded like if given the full-blown 21st century treatment of digital studio trickery and gimmickry. We don't really want to know, do we (except, maybe, for academic purposes winking smiley).

The Paris Sessions give an idea how great new songs might sound when just played, without heavy production (which of course presupposes that the songs themselves are finished and ready to be played).

re covers:
Better a good cover than a lame original. However, I could well live without stuff like Cherry Oh Baby ...

Let me first point out that I don't disagree with that. However, Exile is stuffed with sessions musicians, backup singers etc, but imo they don't really distract the Stones's natural sound.

And albums like SG and ER, which are heavily overdubbed - but with few guests - also sound great.

So, that leads me to think that it's the way they do the overdubs, rather than if they do lots of overdubs. Having the song ready and in their DNA might help. We know they played through the Exile songs a trillion times at Nellcôte smiling smiley

Date: November 27, 2018 13:24

doitywoik
Hairball

re covers:

You nailed it doitywoik , i'm just thinking how good the last few albums might have sounded had they been giving the old Exile minimalist production. In fact why don't they try harder to recreate that sound.

Also songs would come to life when played live, whereas songs like Undercover, Love Is Strong, YGMR etc seem disappointing when played live because its impossible to do the studio tweaking on them, they fall flat played live like some important ingredient is missing, back in the day Stones songs had a life of their own when played live..

Date: November 27, 2018 13:37

I was not so much talking about overdubs as such but about ways of production that make things sound, well, unnatural. As you said, EOMS, ER and others with a great sound had their overdubs too, but they didn't affect the sound in a bad way (also, I'm sure also B&L didn't go completely without any overdubs). Take for example, I Just Want To See His Face. The singers were only added later on in LA, and still it sounds like they were there in the room when the take was cut. Also, there's nothing wrong with overdubbing a guitar part etc., if it makes things better. To me, it's pretty much doing it the right way and not overdoing it/overloading a track, and not compress things to death, or suffocate the tracks in postproduction.

Date: November 27, 2018 13:40

doitywoik
I was not so much talking about overdubs as such but about ways of production that make things sound, well, unnatural. As you said, EOMS, ER and others with a great sound had their overdubs too, but they didn't affect the sound in a bad way (also, I'm sure also B&L didn't go completely without any overdubs). Take for example, I Just Want To See His Face. The singers were only added later on in LA, and still it sounds like they were there in the room when the take was cut. Also, there's nothing wrong with overdubbing a guitar part etc., if it makes things better. To me, it's pretty much doing it the right way and not overdoing it/overloading a track, and not compress things to death, or suffocate the tracks in postproduction.

Gotcha thumbs up

Date: November 27, 2018 14:20

MisterDDDD
Last Stones album the majority were on the positive side was the *Grammy winning, 2+ million selling, Blue & Lonesome.

I think some may believe that because the vocal minority clog up these threads with negativity (regardless of topic), they are somehow the majority.

I find your positivity positively negative dear boy >grinning smiley<

winking smiley just kidding, although there is a negativity to it when you think about it, like what's wrong with a little negativity about setlists and album droughts.
Now its an EP instead of an LP ?? For now ?
I mean man i'd rather they were just done with it and give us some solo albums instead, right now i'd give my left nut for another Wandering Spirit.winking smileysmiling smiley Seriously though, i'd settle for another Ronnie effort, even a dog shit in the doorway, anything, Keith can retire he's done his bit, nothing left to prove, maybe Keith can do an album of old standard covers in the genre of Nearness Of You and Apartment Number 9, who knows, anything but this looong looong wait.
Its not like time is on their side, i really hope these sessions this month turn out to be productive or i'm going to be forced to buy the latest Clapton snooze fest Happy Christmas CD out of despair.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 27, 2018 14:22

DandelionPowderman
doitywoik

Gotcha thumbs up

thumbs upthumbs up

Date: November 27, 2018 14:37

doitywoik

Agreed, another thing i notice on more resent Stones albums is how much higher up in the mix Micks vocals have become, in the day his voice was meshed and woven in well with the music and the backing singers, now its full in the face and after a while it somehow lessens the overall listening experience, not for everyone, but imho it effects the feeling and mood of an album, sledgehammer results, too much attitude not enough substance, damn that reminds me of my school reports.

Date: November 27, 2018 15:04

MisterDDDD
Last Stones album the majority were on the positive side was the *Grammy winning, 2+ million selling, Blue & Lonesome.

I think some may believe that because the vocal minority clog up these threads with negativity (regardless of topic), they are somehow the majority.

Hear, hear! smileys with beer

Date: November 27, 2018 15:06

keithsman
doitywoik

Agreed, another thing i notice on more resent Stones albums is how much higher up in the mix Micks vocals have become, in the day his voice was meshed and woven in well with the music and the backing singers, now its full in the face and after a while it somehow lessens the overall listening experience, not for everyone, but imho it effects the feeling and mood of an album, sledgehammer results, too much attitude not enough substance, damn that reminds me of my school reports.

I'm not sure, but that tendency got stronger as they started to record and/or mix digitally..

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 27, 2018 15:57

Yep, Micks voice used to be just one of the instruments that contributed to the whole. It was often difficult to make out exactly what he was singing about... [ Some folks might think that a good thing winking smiley]

But it doesn't suite the Stones when mixes are too clear...so that you can easily make out all the individual strands of the music.

Much better when it's like Exile...just one big glorious ball of noise.
[I'm still hearing things in that mix that I haven't heard before]

Date: November 27, 2018 16:11

keithsman
doitywoik
Hairball

re covers:

You nailed it doitywoik , i'm just thinking how good the last few albums might have sounded had they been giving the old Exile minimalist production. In fact why don't they try harder to recreate that sound.

Also songs would come to life when played live, whereas songs like Undercover, Love Is Strong, YGMR etc seem disappointing when played live because its impossible to do the studio tweaking on them, they fall flat played live like some important ingredient is missing, back in the day Stones songs had a life of their own when played live..

I really don't see it as "songs come to life", because that implies that it is up to the songs themselves to find some kind of life. It is up to the band. And that is what was always such an incredible strength of the Stones. How they could not only write and produce great songs, but also deliver them on the live stage. Often this meant drastic changes for the song. Big difference between live and studio.
Take "Sympathy", "Stray Cat Blues", "You cant always get.." Midnight Rambler" - just a few examples. All those live versions are now classic - but at one point they had to work that out.
Nowadays they take a new (or even an old song) song, and basically do exactly what happened in studio, and hope for the best. So we get a key that is way too low for Jagger to project on stage, or there was too much studio production for the live stage - they just don't think in radical terms anymore. Most of the time Jagger relies on Bernard for vocal parts, so that he can keep his steam for running around.
And even when they come up with a miracle: "Thats how strong my love is" - it was done once in a tiny club. A song like that could have become a new centerpiece.
They did do well with the B2B material. It was written very well to begin with.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: November 27, 2018 19:43

...227 pages of...Nothingeye rolling smileyeye rolling smiley

Date: November 27, 2018 19:58

DandelionPowderman
doitywoik
Hairball

re covers:

Let me first point out that I don't disagree with that. However, Exile is stuffed with sessions musicians, backup singers etc, but imo they don't really distract the Stones's natural sound.

And albums like SG and ER, which are heavily overdubbed - but with few guests - also sound great.

So, that leads me to think that it's the way they do the overdubs, rather than if they do lots of overdubs. Having the song ready and in their DNA might help. We know they played through the Exile songs a trillion times at Nellcôte smiling smiley

Yes.

doitywoik

And yes again.

Hows that for being positive?!!!winking smiley

When I said "no bells, whistles, gimmicks, excessive overdubs, etc", that is what I was referring to. In other words - artificiality. For example, I heard Mick's Just Another Night the other day for the first time in eons, and the artificiality of the production is noticeable right out of the gate with the drum machines. Partially an '80's thing, but the entire tune is so damn sterile and robotic. Imagine a stripped down or even an acoustic version might sound nice, but you cant rewrite history. And while these bells and whistles have their place in different types of music - say Kraftwerk or some other type of techno stuff, it doesn't seem to always gel well with the Stones. Exile and Some Girls on the other hand sound very natural (as mentioned above)- like a real band playing together. Most importantly and above all are the songs themselves, and hopefully they have something that's worthy of their legacy. So with the production of B&L, some of Keith's "dynamite riffs" (hopefully there's more than three at this point), meshed together with some of Mick's numerous demos...what could possibly go wrong? smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-27 19:59 by Hairball.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...222223224225226227228229230231232...LastNext
Current Page: 227 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1848
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home