Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...223224225226227228229230231232233...LastNext
Current Page: 228 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: November 27, 2018 21:53

Short interview with Mick in the WSJ today, he seems pretty dismissive about new music. I wouldn't hold my breath.

It's gonna be the same 15 Hot Rocks/Rewind numbers plus 2 Keith numbers plus 2 fairly oft-played album cuts...

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 27, 2018 22:25

From the WSJ interview with Neil Shah:

As the April 20 U.S. kickoff in Florida approaches, fans are wondering when the Stones will release new music. Keith Richards, 74, the band’s guitarist and co-songwriter, has long wanted it to hit the recording studio right after a tour to take advantage of the musicians’ momentum.

“I don’t know, we might do that,” Mr. Jagger says. “That always sounds like a great idea, but the reality is most everyone is actually really tired at the end of it—even though it’s only a short tour.”

Instead of diving right into the studio, he adds, band members might “want to, you know, dive right into the ocean.”

[www.wsj.com]

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 27, 2018 23:02

I may be wrong but I can't imagine Charlie Watts 'diving right into the ocean' after a tour; or any time, for that matter.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: November 27, 2018 23:13

bye bye johnny
“I don’t know, we might do that,” Mr. Jagger says. “That always sounds like a great idea, but the reality is most everyone is actually really tired at the end of it—even though it’s only a short tour.”

Hmmm, rather sounds like an EP ... and only if we're lucky? eye popping smiley

mailexile67
...227 pages of...Nothingeye rolling smileyeye rolling smiley

It's only fair. After all, it's exactly as much as we've gotten of the new album so far. grinning smiley

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: November 28, 2018 00:06

Short interview with Mick in Billboard today.

Here's what he has to say about the new album.

How’s the new music you’re writing coming along?

It’s going good. I’ve got lots of stuff. I’m doing some more writing this week. And I’m always, like, messing around. I enjoy the writing process a lot. I mean, you always think the last thing you wrote is really wonderful and sometimes they’re really not (laughs). But it’s really fun doing it and it’s really enjoyable doing new things.

You don’t even need to release music because of the band’s catalog...

Yeah, and we haven’t released that much and I think it’s a shame we haven’t released more new music. So, I would hope we’re going to release some music. We do have a huge catalog. The thing about the catalog is when we come up to doing a tour like this, I try and go back and find some stuff that we haven’t done ever or we haven’t done very much and try to mix it in, so it isn’t always the same show. But when you’re playing a really big show, there’s a certain amount of songs people want to hear — you don’t have to play them — but there’s a certain percentage of the songs that people will want to hear and if you don’t do them, they’ll go, “Wish he’d done that one.”

Were you happy with the success of the band’s blues album, which won a Grammy this year?

That was good. We weren’t really setting out to do that. It just happened. It was a fun thing to do. It was ... stuff we’d known for years since we were kids and played in like clubs and we knew it all pretty well. I really thought it was great and the response was really surprising, and I thought that was really wonderful. And I just hope we’re going to come up with some new stuff as well.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 28, 2018 00:47

Seems it's been awhile since Mick mentioned anything regarding new music and/or new album, and this is it?

"So, I would hope we’re going to release some music".

We hope so also.

"And I just hope we’re going to come up with some new stuff as well".

Again, we hope so also!

"I think it’s a shame we haven’t released more new music".

Yes, it's a damn shame!

bye bye johnny
From the WSJ interview with Neil Shah:

As the April 20 U.S. kickoff in Florida approaches, fans are wondering when the Stones will release new music. Keith Richards, 74, the band’s guitarist and co-songwriter, has long wanted it to hit the recording studio right after a tour to take advantage of the musicians’ momentum.

Instead of diving right into the studio, he adds, band members might “want to, you know, dive right into the ocean.”

[www.wsj.com]

The way he makes it sound, they might not even get back to the studio until after the upcoming tour, and even then it's "we might do that" - can't blame him for wanting more vacation time though - he's earned it!
All in all, not very promising...hoping for a single at least and an EP at most before the tour. And maybe some day in the distant future a new album....

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 28, 2018 02:01

He says it's a shame they haven't released new music.

Well, then, Mick, why haven't the Stones released new music.

What a bore. The same ol' dodge. Keith managed to record a new long player. The Stones recorded a bunch of blues covers in 3 days, did overdubs later, and released an album almost a year later.

It's abundantly clear that the creative interest with the Stones is not there. Well, hasn't been there for a long long time. Since 2005, really, as far as anyone truly knows so far, unless the sessions that led to BLUE AND LONESOME want to count for some people, since obviously those original songs made such an impression. Mick talks about what they've done, talks about they have't done anything.

WHUTEVER. Just play some good ie not played before songs on the (most likely last) US 2019 tour and be done with it.

Date: November 28, 2018 02:27

The problem with all those interviews is that we (or, at least, I) do not know when they were actually done. It seems to me that the interview that jahisnotdead cited has already been alluded to not so long ago (maybe even in this thread? - Too lazy to check ... tongue sticking out smiley)

At face value it looks like we have two recent interviews, in one of which Mick is enthusiastic about the new material, and another one where he says they'd rather go for a swim than into a studio. Now it would be interesting to know when exactly each of them was done, and in what (breoader) context Mick said what he is quoted for.

jlowe
I may be wrong but I can't imagine Charlie Watts 'diving right into the ocean' after a tour; or any time, for that matter.

Yeah, I guess Charlie will rather put on his sunday suit and dive into one of his vintage cars (and mind you, there's nothing wrong with that - and it's for sure safer than falling out of a whatever tree and slipping in a boat).

Hairball
Hows that for being positive?!!!winking smiley

Hairball, the available evidence forces me to conclude that the Stones are making a big mistake in not having us as their producers. We sure would just do the right thing. I mean, we could even make them stars! spinning smiley sticking its tongue outhot smileycool smiley

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 28, 2018 03:29

OK, on the basis of these interviews that I read quotes from on this page of the thread, I finally give up any hope of a new studio album by the band. In contrast to many others, I think they owed their reputation as surviving band to come up with such a release of new material. Apparently, it is not going to happen.

Well, if Mick likes to write new songs, why does he not record them outside the now unproductive cooperation with Keith? And go on making a qualified selection of those and release on an album?

Otherwise, "the Never Changing Setlist Tour" seems to continue. Myself I probably will need approximately five years since my latest concert experience of the Stones before I may be interested in attending another of that, that is, if they still exist by then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-28 03:32 by Witness.

Date: November 28, 2018 03:41

Witness
OK, on the basis of these interviews that I read quotes from on this page of the thread, I finally give up any hope of a new studio album by the band. In contrast to many others, I think they owed their reputation as surviving band to come up with such a release of new material. Apparently, it is not going to happen.

Well, if Mick likes to write new songs, why does he not record them outside the now unproductive cooperation with Keith? And go on making a qualified selection of those and release on an album?

Otherwise, "the Never Changing Setlist Tour" seems to continue. Myself I probably will need approximately five years since my latest concert experience of the Stones before I may be interested in attending another of that, that is, if they still exist by then.

Yes it looks grim.

As for Mick being so prolific and loving to write, and the question as to why doesn't he record and release on his own - very good question.
He did say he sometimes writes things that at first sound great (in his mind), but after a bit he says they're not so great.
Could be that 38 of those 40 demos he had prepared didn't live up to his standards after all, and the other two - Getta Grip/England Lost - didn't please Keith and were sounding like smash hits (again in his mind).
So he releases them anticipating glory, but we know how that turned out. Maybe the failure of those stung his ego and he's lost some confidence, otherwise you'd think he would release some more of them.
Keith released Crosseyed Heart to the delight of many Stones fans (not all, but many), so where's Micks album? Would be interesting in a freak show kind of way to see what else he's got after Getta Grip/England Lost!

Date: November 28, 2018 03:58

However, myself I am one of the few much pleased by "Gotta Get a Grip"/ "England Lost", whereas I was rather bored by CROSSEYED HEART.

Date: November 28, 2018 04:03

Witness
However, myself I am one of the few much pleased by "Gotta Get a Grip"/ "England Lost", whereas I was rather bored by CROSSEYED HEART.

Yes Witness - I know that, yet somehow we are still on friendly terms! smileys with beer

Date: November 28, 2018 04:07

Hairball
Witness

Yes Witness - I know that, yet somehow we are still on friendly terms! smileys with beer

We are! smileys with beer

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: November 28, 2018 04:26

Wow. I get that they’re old and not full of creative energy, but enough with the damn deception. What happened to the pre Blue+Lonesome studio work, and the album that Keith said was “almost done” or whatever it was? What is the point of another tour? Play one or two fewer songs than last time, add another minute to the end of JJF, Satisfaction, and Brown Sugar, add an extra $100 to the price of the good seats, etc. I know I’m being negative here, but I’m just so disappointed. If they can haul their asses across America playing the warhorses for the 4,000th time, they can spend a few weeks in a studio, having fun, being creative, making music together, making their truest fans happy at the same time. For the first time in my adult life, I think Im going to sit this tour out. No Foxboro for me. I’ve been to ten shows, loved them all, but don’t want to ever leave a Stones show feeling like it wasn’t worth the $$ and the effort.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: November 28, 2018 04:57

I hope Mick is downplaying things in hopes of selling one product at a time such as the tour tickets first and then onto promoting and discuss the album (by then it would be basically complete anyway ..well .. at least hopefully).

*I will say this .. I always read about these guys (especially Mick) writing ... and more writing .. and working on the album .. and more working on the album .. but guess what .. I don't ever see anything about anything that's concrete ?? IS the album in place just waiting to be finished.. or is it in disarray?

Talk-talk-talk about - writing and more writing ...working on the album and more working on the album for years.

>> Yet No definite plan of action or anything concrete.

Pretty ridiculous.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 28, 2018 06:28

...honestly...these interviews are kind f dampening my excitement to buy tickets tomorrow....do I really want to spend for 2 $250 tickets to see the same set list Ive seen for 40 years....I'm gonna have to think about it...I was ready to drive to Miami...

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 28, 2018 08:00

Maybe the flop of Gotta Get a Grip/England Lost (two songs from those sessions) has left his mark.

Date: November 28, 2018 08:35

He's just fooling us. One thing at the time - now it's the tour that counts.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 28, 2018 10:10

I guess you are right Bard. Album is just drying up, and nearly ready to get released next May.
jeroen

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 28, 2018 10:34

DandelionPowderman
He's just fooling us. One thing at the time - now it's the tour that counts.

Exactly. He is promoting a tour there. Not a new album (or any other product). The truth is that they've been talking about the new album for so long that it is haunting them now (asked about). But seemingly Jagger doesn't want to talk about it in concrete terms at the moment. Like a typical Jagger: when he doesn't want to say/reveal anything concrete, he is tentatively vague. He gives the impression that they as a band have done nothing yet for new music, just him liking the process of writing and 'hoping' something would happen...

The bit about going to a studio after a tour means nothing as far as the on-going sessions are concerned. That's the idea Keith has been talking/dreaming about for ages, and now asked about by it, Mick gives his realistic account of it in general. That they are too tired of doing anything after any tour.

But more interesting is: what's going on in France?

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-28 10:35 by Doxa.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: November 28, 2018 10:44

doitywoik
The problem with all those interviews is that we (or, at least, I) do not know when they were actually done. It seems to me that the interview that jahisnotdead cited has already been alluded to not so long ago (maybe even in this thread? - Too lazy to check ... tongue sticking out smiley)

Regarding the Billboard one, I am pretty sure that that is not new interview but just the AP story reprinted more or less word by word. AP is a news agency many sites (and broadcasters) adopt as a feeder for video, photos and stories)

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 28, 2018 10:51

maumau
doitywoik

Regarding the Billboard one, I am pretty sure that that is not new interview but just the AP story reprinted more or less word by word. AP is a news agency many sites (and broadcasters) adopt as a feeder for video, photos and stories)

Probably so. I read it from WASHINGTON POST we discussed here: [iorr.org]

- Doxa

Posted by: wupperstein ()
Date: November 28, 2018 11:26

When I read this I´´ll get boaring. I think they'll never release a complete new album with new material. And the setlist for the coming US tourwill be boring, also.

Date: November 28, 2018 11:36

wupperstein
When I read this I´´ll get boaring. I think they'll never release a complete new album with new material. And the setlist for the coming US tourwill be boring, also.

You believe everything Mick says in that interview. Why?

Why should he start promoting an album that isn't finished, before they start their recording sessions in Paris?

Date: November 28, 2018 12:38

They are not touring behind any album, so it is understandable that Mick doesn't (want to) make a connection between "new music" and the upcoming tour. And even if there were a new album, it wouldn't really affect the set lists. We'd get one, maybe two songs at best. The days when a group toured to promote a new album are gone, not just for the Stones but for most anybody else among the "old"/major acts as well. It's possibly groups like Riverside that still tour an album, but they also have the type of customers/audience to whom an album could even be sold at the merch stands of a show. The Stones certainly make more money out of selling T-shirts than selling a new CD. Now these are not exactly novel observations, we've discussed this umpteen times. As for the creative drive, the Stones are simply not Neil Young, who doesn't really give a flying f*ck on expectations and just puts out new stuff as it comes to him. Also, I'm not sure if Neil's every-first-take's-a-keeper approach to recording would really work with the Stones (and one might want to debate at times whether it always works nicely in Neil's case ...).

Mick: not sure if he really thought he'd score a no 1 hit with Getta Grip & Co. To be sure, everything's possible, but to count on it would seem naive. And Mick is certainly smart enough, businesswise. However, I do believe his statements about the pleasure he takes in writing. And why not? Unfortunately (for us) he no longer depends on also putting his new stuff out.

GasLightStreet
He says it's a shame they haven't released new music.
Well, then, Mick, why haven't the Stones released new music.

Maybe for just some such reason? He writes things, also shows him he still can do it, and that's possibly just fine with him.

GasLightStreet
What a bore. The same ol' dodge. Keith managed to record a new long player.

Considering how long CH was in the making, we'd arrive at a rate of one song per year or so. It was not that he went into a studio and laid down the tracks within a week. Yet, the album finally came out.

If Mick says that often things at first seem great when he just finished writing them, and later on closer examination when the endorphines are back to normal, don't seem so great any longer is just a normal part of any creative process. And I might imagine that Mick is here more self-critical/reflective than Keith.

Witness

There's nothing wrong with that.

To me, another question is why all these new Mick songs are not released on a solo album if they can't be done with the Stones. But that's probably really a business decision.

edit:
Is there any actual confirmation about the purported recording sessions in France or is this just a guess? (Maybe something escaped me.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-28 12:43 by doitywoik.

Date: November 28, 2018 12:48

<Considering how long CH was in the making, we'd arrive at a rate of one song per year or so>

Crosseyed Heart was made between 2009 and 2011, wasn't it? With 2-3 songs dating back from the Licks-sessions (At least Trouble and Nothing On Me).

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 28, 2018 13:54

Recording for "Crosseyed Heart" was still being done in 2013.

[iorr.org]

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: November 28, 2018 14:29

Guys. I think we’re overinterpreting the WSJ interview. Mick was asked about new music and then the interviewer brought up a Keith cliche about recording immediately after tours. These two questions practically speaking have nothing to do with each other.

In addition to being better producers of the new album, we would all ask better questions, too!

Like, Mick, could you elaborate on why it’s a shame the Stones haven’t released more new music? It’s not as if you’re merely a fan of the band and have no control over its recording output ...

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: November 28, 2018 15:36

DandelionPowderman

Crosseyed Heart was made between 2009 and 2011, wasn't it? With 2-3 songs dating back from the Licks-sessions (At least Trouble and Nothing On Me).

Yes and didn't get released until 2015

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: November 28, 2018 15:43

Witness

That's exactly what i have been saying, why indeed, why doesn't Mick make a solo album, i for one would welcome it, anything please from the boys.smiling smiley

I agree with every word you said Witness, no more enthusiasm to see them again with the present set lists, for once we agree winking smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...223224225226227228229230231232233...LastNext
Current Page: 228 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2197
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home