Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...220221222223224225226227228229230...LastNext
Current Page: 225 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Date: November 21, 2018 21:58

doitywoik
That gives me an idea! Maybe it's not the wall of sound but right the opposite?
OK, here we go: Breaking news! Stones to release experimental album: The Sound of Silence ... cool smiley

(And if you heard it here first, there's something wrong with your ears ... hot smiley)

Or "The Sound Of (Hitting A) Wall"...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 22, 2018 00:16

doitywoik
Oh yes, and with a huge poster of you-know-what (don't wanna pronounce the evil w-w-w-word ...)!

If you still hear something, you've probably been up front one time too many ... (or it's Ian telling me to cut the crap grinning smiley )

Initial top secret rumours circulating from inside sources said the deluxe edition might include a free brick!

Now it's just a poster, but they made it interactive!!!

OK - time to cut the crap and get back to serious business of speculating, waiting, and wondering.winking smiley

And suddenly this thread jumped to page 225 which is a good sign!

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: November 22, 2018 01:50

Hairball
keithsman
Maybe Mick wanted to widen his audience and try to bring along some Taylor Swift fans, who knows.

Makes sense as Mick did join her on stage in 2015 just as Keith was releasing Crosseyed Heart - talk about polar opposites. And while Mick might have gained some Taylor Swift fans, he might have lost some Stones fans in the process. She also joined the Stones on stage in 2013, and while she's pleasant looking and has a good stage presence, her singing was cringeworthy ultimately ruining the classic tune.

WARNING: Taylor Swift w/Stones video

Meanwhile, here's what Keith had to say about Taylor Swift earlier this year:

"Good luck, girl — wish her well while it lasts… I’ve just been around too long to be picking the bones out of kids.
It wouldn’t be fair of me, and I’ve always been an opinionated bastard anyway.
And I never did really like pop music — even when I became pop music,
I was listening to the blues and jazz and not interested in the hits".

For what it's worth, I disagree with Keith, she'll probably be around for a long long time in some way - maybe she'll branch off into acting when her music is no longer popular amongst her young fans.

keithsman
So the good news is he and Keith must of found a compromise and now we get our Stones album.

You think so? I hope so! And when you say "now", are you thinking of specific time frame?
Before tour, during tour, after tour...or maybe 2020?Y

Sorry to take so long to reply Hiarball, time frame you ask ? well personally if they don't get behind the album with the tour its a missed opportunity, i for one will be disappointed if the album is not released before the tour.

Taylor Swift , yeah well i found that a bit embarrassing, i was hoping Mick would be concentrating on pleasing Stones fans like he does on tour with the set lists, he likes people to go home happy because they got to hear their favorite Stones songs. I'm very confused with Micks efforts to draw the teenee boppers along, but hey ho its Mick, anything goes i suppose.
Just a thought about the 40 demos Mick has up his sleeve, if England Lost was the best of them i'm worried about the new album when it comes out, hopefully keith's three killer Riffs have extended to 6 or 7 now.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: November 22, 2018 02:08

But thank God that the Stones are still there and give us fantastic evenings and what will happen will happen! God bless the Rolling Stones!

Date: November 22, 2018 02:09

Testify
But thank God that the Stones are still there and give us fantastic evenings and what will happen will happen! God bless the Rolling Stones!

And God bless America

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: November 22, 2018 02:57

Hairball
Initial top secret rumours circulating from inside sources said the deluxe edition might include a free brick!

Now it's just a poster, but they made it interactive!!!

spinning smiley sticking its tongue outspinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmileys with beer
This forum definitely lacks a ROFL emoji!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 22, 2018 05:44

Rocky Dijon
I just don't have it in me to try to reason or communicate any longer. I simply don't enjoy what this site has become. The relentless negativity and endless doubting is draining and not worth the effort.

word.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: November 22, 2018 10:44

Rip This
Rocky Dijon
I just don't have it in me to try to reason or communicate any longer. I simply don't enjoy what this site has become. The relentless negativity and endless doubting is draining and not worth the effort.

word.

I prefer Google Docs.

Date: November 22, 2018 11:01

matxil
Rip This
Rocky Dijon

word.

I prefer Google Docs.

Text Document here winking smiley

Seriously, Rocky, your post was brilliant. It summed up all we have to hang on to in this endless wait.

On the other hand, I thought bye bye johnny asked a reasonable question. There is nothing wrong by using a 1,5 year old pic to illustrate «studio time», as Bernard did. But it could have meant «memories from that studio time» as well. Methinks Johnny asked because you are a knowledgeable poster - and that's complimentary, not a negative/doubting stance.

But what do I know grinning smiley

Date: November 22, 2018 11:23

DandelionPowderman
matxil
Rip This
Rocky Dijon

word.

I prefer Google Docs.

Seriously, Rocky, your post was brilliant. It summed up all we have to hang on to in this endless wait.

On the other hand, I thought bye bye johnny asked a reasonable question. There is nothing wrong by using a 1,5 year old pic to illustrate «studio time», as Bernard did. But it could have meant «memories from that studio time» as well. Methinks Johnny asked because you are a knowledgeable poster - and that's complimentary, not a negative/doubting stance.

LaTeX is quite good too.
(In my defense: it's Thursday morning, I got a meeting coming up, I wish it was weekend. Sorry)

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: November 22, 2018 11:41

It seems like we, "obsessives" over here at IORR, are hitting our very own 'wall'... (finally.) smoking smiley

@ Rocky: always a pleasure reading your posts, my friend.
Do keep 'em up - please.

Posted by: z ()
Date: November 22, 2018 11:46

matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
Rip This
Rocky Dijon

word.

I prefer Google Docs.

LaTeX is quite good too.
(In my defense: it's Thursday morning, I got a meeting coming up, I wish it was weekend. Sorry)

Are we talking word processors or condoms, matxil...?

Date: November 22, 2018 12:19

z
matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
Rip This
Rocky Dijon

word.

I prefer Google Docs.

LaTeX is quite good too.

grinning smiley> How you doing mate smoking smiley

Posted by: z ()
Date: November 22, 2018 12:35

smileys with beer

Date: November 22, 2018 12:37

Rocky Dijon

I have that very same feeling about the world as a whole my friend, hang in there Rocky, your posts are very much appreciated and you are an original thinker.

I used to say to Longbeach ( who is greatly missed here btw ) we remind me of the two old gentlemen on the Muppets who complain about the show every week but still come along to see the show. I guess there will come a time when most of us will tire of this as the Stones output will surely come to a trickle in the near future, beyond Sticky threads i wonder what will happen here, hopefully things will remain upbeat and sociable, but more than likely people will come to the conclusion that you have come to.
I actually don't think iorr is negative, we just have different experiences of the same band, your love for Micks solo stuff is at odds with my cynical views but i respect your view and i'm happy that Mick rocks your boat, just as another poster might think that Keith can't sing to save his life but might appreciate that i enjoy Keith's dulcet tones, at the end of the day ITS ALL GOOD ROCKY smileys with beer

Date: November 22, 2018 12:37

z
matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
Rip This
Rocky Dijon

word.

I prefer Google Docs.

LaTeX is quite good too.

I admit that the name can lead to wrong conclusions smiling smiley

[www.latex-project.org]

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 22, 2018 17:15

Apologies to bye-bye johnny if it seemed like I was attacking him. I wasn't. My remark was in general and not something momentary. I'm sure I'll be back and I still turn up for news, but I need a break from posting and reading most of the threads so closely.

That's healthy for me. I've lived on this site for over 20 years.

And for the record, I enjoy Mick, Keith, and Ronnie solo pretty much equally. And there are people here, many people, whose posts are always a joy to read. There are some people here I'm happy to consider as friends. It's just that overall, I'm not enjoying the site like I used to do. My reactions are not always healthy so I need a break. I work from a laptop for my day job many hours each day and then write for a hobby. I visit IORR as my break from reality. The result is I live too much of my life on a screen and when real life or the day job stress me out, my reaction to this place is too extreme.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-22 17:28 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: November 23, 2018 00:42

Rocky Dijon
Apologies to bye-bye johnny if it seemed like I was attacking him. I wasn't. My remark was in general and not something momentary. I'm sure I'll be back and I still turn up for news, but I need a break from posting and reading most of the threads so closely.

That's healthy for me. I've lived on this site for over 20 years.

And for the record, I enjoy Mick, Keith, and Ronnie solo pretty much equally. And there are people here, many people, whose posts are always a joy to read. There are some people here I'm happy to consider as friends. It's just that overall, I'm not enjoying the site like I used to do. My reactions are not always healthy so I need a break. I work from a laptop for my day job many hours each day and then write for a hobby. I visit IORR as my break from reality. The result is I live too much of my life on a screen and when real life or the day job stress me out, my reaction to this place is too extreme.

You are not alone .. visiting iorr and rocksoff are ny break from reality and I do such a solid three times a day. Your information is more than welcomed it is extremely encouraged ... as well as your opinion.

All this negativity about them not being able to write anymore... them not getting along ... them not being able to produce quality product anymore is odd ... we are SUPPOSED to be fans. People get off more on complaining and griping about them (my only gripe was that they HADNT got down to biz and put it out not that it can't be good lol .. big difference).

I think their last three albums were very strong .. I loved them .. especially Voodoo Lounge and A Bigger Bang. They were not 110% perfect but I thought they were great and of the very best albums of their year of release. I'm not just saying that because I am a Stones fan either .. they were great releases IMO.

Rock on Rocky!

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-23 00:42 by IanBillen.

Date: November 23, 2018 04:48

keithsman
Just a thought about the 40 demos Mick has up his sleeve, if England Lost was the best of them i'm worried about the new album when it comes out, hopefully keith's three killer Riffs have extended to 6 or 7 now.

At the moment I’m less worried about Mick’s demos and the option (danger?) that the new album could be England-Lost-style. Reading between the lines of what little info trickled through to us it seems to me that Keith objected against the approach of Mick just bringing in worked-out demos to which the other Stones would add their fairy dust and convinced (forced?) Mick to write new stuff with him. And there was at least one such session after which Keith sounded very happy, saying things had been created that were not there before. So my guess is rather, there will be some Mick songs, some Keith songs, and also a few they really wrote together. And once the album is out we can spend another 250 pages figuring out who wrote what. winking smiley

I don’t know how Mick handled this earlier but I can well imagine that some of the 40 demos will end up on his next solo album. He doesn’t seem like a person who would leave such a bunch of songs unused if he sees some potential in them.

IanBillen
I think their last three albums were very strong ..

Certainly! Whatever one might say about DW, VL, B2B, ABB (and B&L, for that matter), they are not tired efforts by old men.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: November 23, 2018 08:50

doitywoik
keithsman

At the moment I’m less worried about Mick’s demos and the option (danger?) that the new album could be England-Lost-style. Reading between the lines of what little info trickled through to us it seems to me that Keith objected against the approach of Mick just bringing in worked-out demos to which the other Stones would add their fairy dust and convinced (forced?) Mick to write new stuff with him. And there was at least one such session after which Keith sounded very happy, saying things had been created that were not there before. So my guess is rather, there will be some Mick songs, some Keith songs, and also a few they really wrote together. And once the album is out we can spend another 250 pages figuring out who wrote what. winking smiley

I don’t know how Mick handled this earlier but I can well imagine that some of the 40 demos will end up on his next solo album. He doesn’t seem like a person who would leave such a bunch of songs unused if he sees some potential in them.

IanBillen
I think their last three albums were very strong ..

Certainly! Whatever one might say about DW, VL, B2B, ABB (and B&L, for that matter), they are not tired efforts by old men.

No they weren't. IMO DW and SW were the weakest of them .. still they proved as viable albums in the main mix.

IMO VL, BTB, ABB, and ...the special release B&L are of the best music out there. I LOVED VL ..and ABB and B&L. I did not love Bridges to Babylon but I really liked it and recognized it was a strong, twisted release .. of the very best product of that year.

The others I will still love and listen to today here and again. They have held strong. Great stuff .. Not only were they not releases by seemingly tired old men with no vigor to offer .. they were darn strong and hot and stood up well in time!

Date: November 23, 2018 10:40

Ahem, DW should have been SW >>insert shame smiley <<< - that's what happens if you type without your spex on ...

Otherwise, I wouldn't rank SW at the top, either. I really like Terrifying, and also Rock And A Hard Place is alright with me (possibly a minority oppinion), but I can largely live without the rest - or, at least, I don't listen to the rest very often.

VL is a mixed bag to me. Considering the outtakes it could have been a great album with different arrangements/production on some tracks (and without stuff like Sparks Will Fly).

B2B is actually my favourite among the latter-day albums, doesn't wear off.

ABB could have been a geat album as well with a more reasonable production. The songs aren't bad, but (too often) their sound is.

As for DW - since I mentioned it, even if by mistake - I still find it a strong album (another minority oppinion), but it's missing the Mick element a bit. A real pitty in my view, could have been (close to) a classic. And some great guitar work.

Presently I'm into the 2002 Paris Sessions again. Another missed opportunity. Although - I don't want to know how that (unreleased) stuff had sounded if produced the same way as the four new tracks on 40 Licks ...

Date: November 23, 2018 11:05

IanBillen

You are not alone .. visiting iorr and rocksoff are ny break from reality and I do such a solid three times a day. Your information is more than welcomed it is extremely encouraged ... as well as your opinion.

All this negativity about them not being able to write anymore... them not getting along ... them not being able to produce quality product anymore is odd ... we are SUPPOSED to be fans. People get off more on complaining and griping about them (my only gripe was that they HADNT got down to biz and put it out not that it can't be good lol .. big difference).

I think their last three albums were very strong .. I loved them .. especially Voodoo Lounge and A Bigger Bang. They were not 110% perfect but I thought they were great and of the very best albums of their year of release. I'm not just saying that because I am a Stones fan either .. they were great releases IMO.

Rock on Rocky!

Ian

Well, I consider myself a fan of the Stones because of Gimme Shelter or Exile, because of Down the Road Apiece, Who's Driving Your Plane, Slave, or Heaven. Which gives me a reason to complain about Out Of Tears, Infamy, or Hold On To My Hat.

If a child shows you a drawing of a circle with a smiling face in it, you say "nice drawing", if it's Picasso, you'll say: "wait a minute, aren't you the guy who did Guerníca?". When McCartney came up with "Obladi-Oblada" John Lennon had a point when he said: "wait a minute, aren't you the guy who wrote Here There and Everywhere?". I mean, being a fan of a band means you have higher standards. That's not negativity, that's trying to be proud of the band you like. If Status Quo, Queen or Wet Wet Wet would have come out with Voodoo Lounge or ABB I wouldn't have said anything. But from the Stones, it's just sad.

I don't particularly enjoy slamming the Stones, but I'd like to put a bit perspective. I don't really blame them either. It's not just them, it's rock music in general. When I hear something by, say, Beyoncé (not particularly the sort of music I like) I am surprised by how new, how inventive, how different it is. It makes me think: wow, things have changed. In rock music, nothing has really made any dramatic change since the late 70s. I think Mick solo and Keith solo had more chance of doing something "different", than together. Maybe I am wrong. But looking at the past 30 years, I think my statement is not completely mistaken.

Now, I *do* recognize that it's not nice, and actually, yeah, a bit negative and "aguafiestas" to complain about a record that hasn't even come out yet. It might be great, God knows. Then again, from my point of view, this blind (sorry, seemingly blind) enthusiasm seems to sort of invite a bit of cold water, a bit of perspective occasionally. I can understand how annoying that is, but then it's easy to skip those posts, right?

Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: November 23, 2018 11:22

I think it’s irrelevant, you’re contributing to a debate, and I can’t wait for new music, even though I really go back and back to the 70s albums GHS IORR B&B Cox I love the sound, the ballads, the image, And although I don’t listen to the new albums I’m nearly as much, I do enjoy going back to the Big Bang a lot. When I listen to them I’m not comparing them going I’ll my gosh I wish there was something else I just enjoy them for what they are. I don’t see how it’s possible to listen to something constantly wishing it was something else because you just wouldn’t bother listening to it. So I think a little bit you are trying to push your opinions on to other people, new course probably have no desire to share them.

Date: November 23, 2018 11:26

matxil
IanBillen

Rock on Rocky!

Ian

Well, I consider myself a fan of the Stones because of Gimme Shelter or Exile, because of Down the Road Apiece, Who's Driving Your Plane, Slave, or Heaven. Which gives me a reason to complain about Out Of Tears, Infamy, or Hold On To My Hat.

If a child shows you a drawing of a circle with a smiling face in it, you say "nice drawing", if it's Picasso, you'll say: "wait a minute, aren't you the guy who did Guerníca?". When McCartney came up with "Obladi-Oblada" John Lennon had a point when he said: "wait a minute, aren't you the guy who wrote Here There and Everywhere?". I mean, being a fan of a band means you have higher standards. That's not negativity, that's trying to be proud of the band you like. If Status Quo, Queen or Wet Wet Wet would have come out with Voodoo Lounge or ABB I wouldn't have said anything. But from the Stones, it's just sad.

I don't particularly enjoy slamming the Stones, but I'd like to put a bit perspective. I don't really blame them either. It's not just them, it's rock music in general. When I hear something by, say, Beyoncé (not particularly the sort of music I like) I am surprised by how new, how inventive, how different it is. It makes me think: wow, things have changed. In rock music, nothing has really made any dramatic change since the late 70s. I think Mick solo and Keith solo had more chance of doing something "different", than together. Maybe I am wrong. But looking at the past 30 years, I think my statement is not completely mistaken.

Now, I *do* recognize that it's not nice, and actually, yeah, a bit negative and "aguafiestas" to complain about a record that hasn't even come out yet. It might be great, God knows. Then again, from my point of view, this blind (sorry, seemingly blind) enthusiasm seems to sort of invite a bit of cold water, a bit of perspective occasionally. I can understand how annoying that is, but then it's easy to skip those posts, right?

The mighty Quo (1968-1984) don't deserve a mention in that bunch of pop bands! smoking smiley

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: November 23, 2018 11:50

DandelionPowderman
matxil
If Status Quo, Queen or Wet Wet Wet would have come out with Voodoo Lounge or ABB I wouldn't have said anything. But from the Stones, it's just sad.

The mighty Quo (1968-1984) don't deserve a mention in that bunch of pop bands! smoking smiley

...Wórd. smoking smiley

Status Quo - "Movin' On" (2012 tongue sticking out smiley ):
video: [www.youtube.com]

Date: November 23, 2018 12:05

Yeah! QPQ was a breath of fresh air from the latter-day Quo indeed.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: November 23, 2018 19:16

any news about the supposedly scheduled late november studio time?

Date: November 23, 2018 19:26

I haven't heard about Status Quo intending to do studio work ... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: November 23, 2018 19:50

doitywoik
I haven't heard about Status Quo intending to do studio work ... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

As a matter of fact they're in the studio right now smiling smiley

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: November 23, 2018 19:59

...Or They'll go in the studio on monday next weeksmoking smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...220221222223224225226227228229230...LastNext
Current Page: 225 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2379
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10