Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7273747576777879808182...LastNext
Current Page: 77 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 24, 2017 07:30

This feels like a land mine.
Maybe Mr. Clifford's role is more administrative assistant to Mick.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: August 24, 2017 08:56

Rocky Dijon
"Scarlet" which Don Was described as "a hit then and a hit now" that was reworked in 2010 but has thus far never seen the light of day is a good guess.

Perhaps. Don raved about it to me when he expected it to be on the Exile bonus disc. It’s a KR originated song, but apparently turns out to be from the GHS era. Not sure why this would have necessarily had to keep it off Exile expanded.

Matt Clifford does a lot more than administrative work with Mick Jagger. He is a trained musician, a programmer, and engineer and sounding board. Everyone in the Stones camp knows this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-24 08:57 by TeddyB1018.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 24, 2017 10:38

stonehearted
Hairball
what we think we know about the band....
Here's one thing we know about "the band", from Ron Wood's recent interview with The Telegraph:

Does he think rock stars should ever retire? “No. Well, it depends which band they’re in, but we won’t.” Who should then? “No comment,” interjects his manager.

...that even in their seventies, they're still not exactly free to say it like it is, without some handler intervening on their behalf.

Even more than a corporation, The Stones, Inc., is like a political body. And we, the mere masses, the plebs who follow, are fed only the campaign oratory, the things we want to hear even if it isn't necessarily the truth.

Well, if that had been a KEITH interview would the same have happened? I think not.
Can't imagine his Manager, Jane Rose trying to silence him.
Or if she did, he would carry on regardless.

Date: August 24, 2017 11:01

jlowe
stonehearted
Hairball
what we think we know about the band....
Here's one thing we know about "the band", from Ron Wood's recent interview with The Telegraph:

Does he think rock stars should ever retire? “No. Well, it depends which band they’re in, but we won’t.” Who should then? “No comment,” interjects his manager.

...that even in their seventies, they're still not exactly free to say it like it is, without some handler intervening on their behalf.

Even more than a corporation, The Stones, Inc., is like a political body. And we, the mere masses, the plebs who follow, are fed only the campaign oratory, the things we want to hear even if it isn't necessarily the truth.

Well, if that had been a KEITH interview would the same have happened? I think not.
Can't imagine his Manager, Jane Rose trying to silence him.
Or if she did, he would carry on regardless.

Oh! Don't underestimate Jane Rose grinning smiley

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 24, 2017 12:45

TeddyB1018
Rocky Dijon
"Scarlet" which Don Was described as "a hit then and a hit now" that was reworked in 2010 but has thus far never seen the light of day is a good guess.

Perhaps. Don raved about it to me when he expected it to be on the Exile bonus disc. It’s a KR originated song, but apparently turns out to be from the GHS era. Not sure why this would have necessarily had to keep it off Exile expanded.

Matt Clifford does a lot more than administrative work with Mick Jagger. He is a trained musician, a programmer, and engineer and sounding board. Everyone in the Stones camp knows this.

Sorry. It did sound disrespectful. Apology

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 24, 2017 15:24

Clifford has been called Matt's 'yes man' and his 'friend', but it seems his role is much bigger than that. Might even suggest that Mick is the singer and the public band, while Clifford is back in the studio transforming Mick's sketches into songs. All these young female pop stars have the same sort of arrangement with a musical director.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 24, 2017 17:05

Back to "Get a Grip," while Matt Clifford's role should not be underestimated, it shouldn't be blown out of proportion either. He's not so powerful that Chuck didn't think twice about publicly voicing his sour grapes over Matt playing piano on BLUE AND LONESOME. Matt fills the same role Dave Stewart does for Mick and that is the role Keith used to fulfill as Mick's main musical collaborator. As has been the case for 50 years now, Mick still writes plenty of songs on his own without Dave or Matt.

Date: August 24, 2017 18:16

Rocky Dijon
Matt fills the same role Dave Stewart does for Mick and that is the role Keith used to fulfill as Mick's main musical collaborator.

Sad but true.
But I don't think he's as much collaborator as he executes what Mick wants to do.

Date: August 24, 2017 18:59

Fair enough. A bit like Mick yelling "Work for the money" when Jeff Beck starts his solo on "Throwaway." Not the sort of thing you can do to a bandmate or an equal. Dave Stewart and Matt Clifford are collaborators of Mick, but Mick is the artist and that makes all the difference.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 24, 2017 21:09

This is a very interesting and informative page of this thread.

Based on what has been revealed about MJ and his collaborative relationship with Matt Clifford, I suppose I don't really need to even know about a new Rolling Stones album, because based on this there can never be a new Rolling Stones album, not in 2018 or ever -- except in name only.

With the band there as merely a prop, to use as backing and merely to apply the brand logo to a prefabricated product, what's the point?

This formula may have worked with the Who and the Kinks, but with the Stones their best work has always emerged in the spirit of collaboration.

Which makes the following scenario nothing but a memory: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-25 00:14 by stonehearted.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: August 24, 2017 23:32

Keith Richards would agree, which is cause for optimism. Mick wants to make a Stones album too, which is also cause for optimism. Think of it like a big budget movie, where the director, the producer, the writer, the actors and the studio all volley for influence over the final product. It’s not a perfect analogy.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 25, 2017 00:19

Sounds like a case of too many cooks spoil the broth.

Hit The Wall

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 25, 2017 01:15

...There it is...^^^ there it is .... knew it wouldn't take long ....

ROCKMAN

Date: August 25, 2017 01:48

Too Many Cooks (Spoil The Soup)

From timeisonourside.com:

"Late December 1973: Mick Jagger takes part in a jam/recording session with John Lennon and others at the Record Plant in Los Angeles.

Wonder if it was ever presented to the Stones to be worked on further?
Nice tune, and kind of odd that Mick waited so long to release it on his 'The Very Best of..." solo album in 2007.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: August 25, 2017 04:34

Without Mick and Keith working together on song writing, I don't expect much worthwhile stuff on a new album (if one ever comes out, which I doubt).

If those two new Jagger songs are any indication, maybe I am right.

They didn't move me in any way.

Date: August 25, 2017 04:55

Mick and Keith already did a session together in the studio without the others earlier this year. That was a songwriting session. Keith has more than the three riffs he mentioned over a year ago. That's why he's done sessions in New York at Germano in between the band sessions at British Grove. The album, as it stands, is a mix of Jagger-Richards and material Jagger had ready to go. That will, of course, still end up listed as Jagger-Richards. We need to remember the infamous "hit the wall" was in reference to where the band stood on December 10, 2015. The basic tracks for BLUE AND LONESOME were cut December 11, 14, and 15. They continued to work on original material December 12, 16, 17, and 18. There have been several recording sessions in 2016 and 2017 as they continued to piece the album together. Yet we're still hung up on "hit the wall" as if it's the state of the union in August 2017.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 25, 2017 05:16

Hairball
Before these credits were posted in the original thread, nobody had a clue Charlie played drums on this - same with Ronnie on guitar. Once they were posted a few days after release, there were certain people that claimed it's clearly them, but none of them said a thing prior to credits being posted.

A very telling comment that I agree with 100%. Some here are so quick to emphasise in their analysis they can clearly tell who's playing what - yet, it's (almost) always after "official credits" are posted. Quite amusing. Though no doubt some people can, other's I reckon just jump on the bandwagon.

Me? Nope can't tell with any form of surety and don't profess expertise or that I can. I just enjoy, or don't, the music. I don't try and analyse. I AM interested in the 'credits' and read them, but they certainly aren't my specialty - before or after they are posted. And then,how many times AFTER they are posted do we argue they're wrong anyway - shoddy work by the Stone's management to put that up etc...???

Rod

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 25, 2017 05:36

Hairball
Before these credits were posted in the original thread, nobody had a clue Charlie played drums on this - same with Ronnie on guitar. Once they were posted a few days after release, there were certain people that claimed it's clearly them, but none of them said a thing prior to credits being posted.
Actually, I did. My first impression on hearing one of those tracks was something to the effect that it sounds like Mick really wants Charlie to play drums on this track, or something.

I've always been miffed at how Mick has always gone for the "Stones-light" treatment for the sound he achieves on a great deal of his solo work, and it seemed this time out he was really going for that Charlie Watts sound, though I didn't know then that Watts himself was actually playing. I didn't know about Ron Wood either -- I just thought it was Mick himself playing those parts, because he's a pretty decent guitarist in his own right.

It's somewhere in that "Grip" thread, but I don't feel like dragging out my exact quote, but I was struck by how those drums sounded like Charlie, because, obviously, there's only one Charlie Watts, right?

Date: August 25, 2017 05:38

Rocky Dijon
Mick and Keith already did a session together in the studio without the others earlier this year. That was a songwriting session. Keith has more than the three riffs he mentioned over a year ago. That's why he's done sessions in New York at Germano in between the band sessions at British Grove. The album, as it stands, is a mix of Jagger-Richards and material Jagger had ready to go. That will, of course, still end up listed as Jagger-Richards. We need to remember the infamous "hit the wall" was in reference to where the band stood on December 10, 2015. The basic tracks for BLUE AND LONESOME were cut December 11, 14, and 15. They continued to work on original material December 12, 16, 17, and 18. There have been several recording sessions in 2016 and 2017 as they continued to piece the album together. Yet we're still hung up on "hit the wall" as if it's the state of the union in August 2017.

Ronnie mentioned the possibility of starting from scratch regarding work that was done, and I believe he said that well after Blue and Lonesome. And I think Charlie mentioned something similar when he was interviewed backstage at the Awards ceremony, though not sure about specifics.

Aside form all that though, the question then is when did this clash happen between Keith and Mick (and maybe Charlie and Ronnie) over Gotta Getta Grip and England Lost? Mick said he wrote it in April, and it was quickly released soon after in June when he turned it in to a solo song. Would it be too farfetched to consider this clash as "hitting the wall"? Or maybe best just to leave it as a clash...

Date: August 25, 2017 05:39

I really don't see any reason to doubt others. A regular over at Shidoobee pointed out that he thought it sounded like Charlie but didn't want to be shouted down given how much hate the new songs garnered and the fact that he isn't a professional musician. I can certainly understand that reaction. For me, it's one of those things like when you find out an ingredient in something you ate and after the fact, you can taste it but didn't until you knew. Same with me with Charlie. Still no luck with Ronnie, but I trust the credits over my ears.

Date: August 25, 2017 06:21

Rocky Dijon
For me, it's one of those things like when you find out an ingredient in something you ate and after the fact, you can taste it but didn't until you knew.

That makes sense, and I wasn't doubting or calling anyone out.
I was replying to audun-eg who said "If you listen to the drumparts, they're clearly Charlie"...I was using this line to show how unclear it is: "Before these credits were posted in the original thread, nobody had a clue Charlie played drums on this - same with Ronnie on guitar"....but I'll revise that by saying "nobody except for stonehearted". lol

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 25, 2017 09:59

So Rocky kinda like in a western movie when a gang of folks are lost in
the desert and somebody cooks some snake but doesn't tell the others what it is... and they're all starving and tearing into it and then usually the lady comments how deeeeeeeelicious it is and then asks ... What is it ????

And everybody spits it out ...... Dunno how times I've seen that scene ....

ROCKMAN

Date: August 25, 2017 13:46

It sure sounds like Ronnie in the left channel in this clip:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 25, 2017 17:47

I don't doubt anyone who hears Ronnie. I'm just not so fortunate as to be able to tell.

Now that play Dandy's isolated 10 second clip, yeah it sounds familiar even though I heard it in the song every time I played it, I didn't immediately identify it as Ronnie.

Again, it's weird how much of this is a matter of being put in context with the knowledge and suddenly it all shows up clearly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-25 17:49 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: August 25, 2017 22:13

Speaking for myself, the only way I could say this is Ronnie for sure is because he's listed on the credits, and some here say it's so. Even after listening to the above clip...I would have never guessed...well scratch that - I suppose I might have eventually put two and two together as a wild guess (because it's a Mick Jagger tune), but it really sounds like it could be anyone who has basic skills on the guitar. Just my opinion.

Would have been interesting to hear how it might have turned out had it been worked on 100% as a Stones song musically speaking...maybe Ronnie could have stamped more of himself on it. Give it the "live" sound of Blue and Lonesome or the more "subtle" sound of Crosseyed Heart (or a combo of both), maybe throw in a chorus and a bridge, add a signature ripping Keith riff ala Start Me Up, and it could have been a decent Stones tune.

Date: August 25, 2017 23:17

Probably wouldn't call it Ronnie playing, but rather Matt Clifford taking a snippet of his guitar work and recording, looping, playing around with it in the studio. Same with Charlie.
I think Mick would rather do that than hang in the studio for hours while the band tries for the perfect take.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: August 26, 2017 11:39

beachbreak
Without Mick and Keith working together on song writing, I don't expect much worthwhile stuff on a new album (if one ever comes out, which I doubt).

If those two new Jagger songs are any indication, maybe I am right.

They didn't move me in any way.

Yeah.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 26, 2017 13:40

Gloom and doom.....doesn't sound like there's much controversy rather that the glimmers are slowly and methodically working towards a shared effort.....glad to hear they are working with each other again...slowly...perhaps with trepidation....but nonetheless getting the job done.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 26, 2017 13:51

Rip This
Gloom and doom.....doesn't sound like there's much controversy rather that the glimmers are slowly and methodically working towards a shared effort.....glad to hear they are working with each other again...slowly...perhaps with trepidation....but nonetheless getting the job done.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 30, 2017 23:09

"Yet another Rolling Stones Tour. Rehearsals are underway, and everyone is in top form. There has been some recording during the past year.

Chuck (Leavell) was called in to play on the Blues CD and another trip to London to put some tracks on a new musical project which will come out in the winter months."

[roseandchucktourdiary.blogspot.com.br]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7273747576777879808182...LastNext
Current Page: 77 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2157
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home