Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7374757677787980818283...LastNext
Current Page: 78 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: August 30, 2017 23:34

Rocky Dijon
Mick and Keith already did a session together in the studio without the others earlier this year. That was a songwriting session. Keith has more than the three riffs he mentioned over a year ago. That's why he's done sessions in New York at Germano in between the band sessions at British Grove. The album, as it stands, is a mix of Jagger-Richards and material Jagger had ready to go. That will, of course, still end up listed as Jagger-Richards. We need to remember the infamous "hit the wall" was in reference to where the band stood on December 10, 2015. The basic tracks for BLUE AND LONESOME were cut December 11, 14, and 15. They continued to work on original material December 12, 16, 17, and 18. There have been several recording sessions in 2016 and 2017 as they continued to piece the album together. Yet we're still hung up on "hit the wall" as if it's the state of the union in August 2017.

Exactly. It's not the lack of material ..it is the direction and fruition of material that has been making this one slow in the making.

They are making this album differently than their other albums .. getting together in spurts.. in segments ...and seeing what are the most optimal results and best way or direction to take things (the material). For those that feel Keith has simply three friggin riffs to add to the whole bag after all this time are pretty sadly mistaken.

Sure.. it has been a fairly long while by now and no doubt this album is slow in the making .. but the album is still very much on plans .. and in the works ..undoubtedly -

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-30 23:36 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 31, 2017 00:06

Because of the length of time this is taking, along with all of the roadblocks and detours that have taken place (new tour, Ronnie's health, Getta Grip, Keith/Mick clashing over direction etc.), maybe thread title should be changed to 2019...or maybe add a question mark after the 2018. I recall it was originally titled "Another Stones studio album in 2017" and that was rightfully changed to 2018, but now one has to wonder if that's realistic.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: August 31, 2017 00:09

The album will never be made. Why should they release something? They get more $ for 13 shows with 14 warhorses. That's capitalism.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-31 00:17 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: August 31, 2017 00:22

I'd like to see at least one more good release then put out the 60s outtakes box we also dream about LOL

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: August 31, 2017 00:46

Lynd8
I'd like to see at least one more good release then put out the 60s outtakes box we also dream about LOL

Wait 20 years until Jagger is dead ;-)

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 31, 2017 00:56

Wait 20 years until Jagger is dead

I DeKlein to agree with you on that one .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 31, 2017 01:24

We will have plenty of new outtakes by 2038,2040. But..i will probably be dead by then.

I want to hear the new songs as soon as possible !!!

jeroen

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 31, 2017 11:00

IanBillen
Rocky Dijon
Mick and Keith already did a session together in the studio without the others earlier this year. That was a songwriting session. Keith has more than the three riffs he mentioned over a year ago. That's why he's done sessions in New York at Germano in between the band sessions at British Grove. The album, as it stands, is a mix of Jagger-Richards and material Jagger had ready to go. That will, of course, still end up listed as Jagger-Richards. We need to remember the infamous "hit the wall" was in reference to where the band stood on December 10, 2015. The basic tracks for BLUE AND LONESOME were cut December 11, 14, and 15. They continued to work on original material December 12, 16, 17, and 18. There have been several recording sessions in 2016 and 2017 as they continued to piece the album together. Yet we're still hung up on "hit the wall" as if it's the state of the union in August 2017.

Exactly. It's not the lack of material ..it is the direction and fruition of material that has been making this one slow in the making.

They are making this album differently than their other albums .. getting together in spurts.. in segments ...and seeing what are the most optimal results and best way or direction to take things (the material). For those that feel Keith has simply three friggin riffs to add to the whole bag after all this time are pretty sadly mistaken.

Sure.. it has been a fairly long while by now and no doubt this album is slow in the making .. but the album is still very much on plans .. and in the works ..undoubtedly -

Ian

They, like me at just a snip of a 63yo, I am afraid, have all the time in the world apparently. Ronnie recently quoted that the Bowie death shook him up. I wish the others in the band could be shaken up!

Rod

Date: August 31, 2017 12:03

Monsoon Ragoon
The album will never be made. Why should they release something? They get more $ for 13 shows with 14 warhorses. That's capitalism.

You seem to have this crystal bowl... Does it work? winking smiley

Why should they play shows at all (using your own logic)? They get richer day by day off the royalties alone..

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: August 31, 2017 12:08

Monsoon Ragoon

I agree with you that it's very unlikely there ever will be a new album (let alone a good one), but I don't think it's about money. I think it's simply much more fun being on stage, doing something they more or less all agree on how to do, which songs to play, with an occasional "adventure" in playing a song they never played before, instead of bickering in a studio about new songs they don't agree on. Plus, the prospect of bringing out a new album which very likely will not be one of their greatest (as none of their albums of the last 30 years were) cannot be very appealing either.

Date: August 31, 2017 12:21

matxil
Monsoon Ragoon

I agree with you that it's very unlikely there ever will be a new album (let alone a good one), but I don't think it's about money. I think it's simply much more fun being on stage, doing something they more or less all agree on how to do, which songs to play, with an occasional "adventure" in playing a song they never played before, instead of bickering in a studio about new songs they don't agree on. Plus, the prospect of bringing out a new album which very likely will not be one of their greatest (as none of their albums of the last 30 years were) cannot be very appealing either.

Why do you believe that? All the band members have confirmed that they're working on a new album. Do you think Mick and Keith will lose face here? I don't.

Of course there will be a new (and perhaps final) album. How good it will be, however, is up the ears of the beholder smiling smiley

Date: August 31, 2017 12:30

Keef the faith boys ... there'll be a new album ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 31, 2017 20:42

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 31, 2017 21:20

Cristiano Radtke
Ask Keith Richards: Do you have any new songs in the can?

So what does Keith say(not that it's meaningful). West ?????

Date: August 31, 2017 21:24

I still have hope there will be a new album eventually, but only time will tell. If not, and I've said this before, Blue and Lonesome would make for nice closure...full circle...end of story.
Yes it was only covers, but it was their best band effort in decades and it was mighty successful. Imagine if they release an album full of Gotta Getta Grip/England Lost type tunes...they're not horrible songs, but they failed as far as sales, etc., and probably not the best way to bookend their career imo...with a whimper. Perhaps all of the hitting the wall and the butting of heads will pay off in the long run.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 31, 2017 21:38

Saying the album will "never be made" is foolish considering they were specifically given a contract extension by their label for a new studio album after listening to the work-in-progress tracks. Fans being impatient that's it's been nearly nine months since the last album was released ignores the fact that the band made it clear earlier this year that the album schedule had moved out to 2018. Holding your breath won't make it happen any more than daring them by saying it will never happen.

Even if something happened to one of them, that would just mean the end of concerts as we knew them. The album releases would keep coming. Universal has already heard rough mixes of material Don Was has identified as worthy of release. No matter what, the sessions that started in December 2015 will see fruition as will other unreleased material from the band from the Virgin Records era. There will be more Jagger solo music as well. Either something Mick finishes himself after next year or something that is put together for him. The legacy goes on. More albums. More songs you've never heard.

As for remarks like "it's unlikely there'll be a new album, let alone a good one," what can you say if someone hasn't liked an artist's work in decades? Chances are good they won't think any future releases are "good" either. Fans who liked their work in the last 30 years or so will probably enjoy it. If you haven't liked them since TATTOO YOU, why even think about a new album? You stopped liking them over 35 years ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-31 21:39 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: August 31, 2017 21:58

DandelionPowderman
matxil
Monsoon Ragoon

Why do you believe that? All the band members have confirmed that they're working on a new album. Do you think Mick and Keith will lose face here? I don't.

Of course there will be a new (and perhaps final) album. How good it will be, however, is up the ears of the beholder smiling smiley

Perfect response thumbs up

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: August 31, 2017 22:03

Almost wonder if, subconsciously, knowing this probably the last record, they're procrastinating on ending a recording life

Date: August 31, 2017 22:07

There were some people who couldn't believe the Stones were actually playing on that private concert in Las Vegas last year even with all the infos and photos being posted, so it's no surprise there are doubts about the release of this new album although it was already confirmed by all the band members that they are working on it.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: September 1, 2017 00:36

Rocky Dijon
Saying the album will "never be made" is foolish considering they were specifically given a contract extension by their label for a new studio album after listening to the work-in-progress tracks. Fans being impatient that's it's been nearly nine months since the last album was released ignores the fact that the band made it clear earlier this year that the album schedule had moved out to 2018. Holding your breath won't make it happen any more than daring them by saying it will never happen.

Even if something happened to one of them, that would just mean the end of concerts as we knew them. The album releases would keep coming. Universal has already heard rough mixes of material Don Was has identified as worthy of release. No matter what, the sessions that started in December 2015 will see fruition as will other unreleased material from the band from the Virgin Records era. There will be more Jagger solo music as well. Either something Mick finishes himself after next year or something that is put together for him. The legacy goes on. More albums. More songs you've never heard.

As for remarks like "it's unlikely there'll be a new album, let alone a good one," what can you say if someone hasn't liked an artist's work in decades? Chances are good they won't think any future releases are "good" either. Fans who liked their work in the last 30 years or so will probably enjoy it. If you haven't liked them since TATTOO YOU, why even think about a new album? You stopped liking them over 35 years ago.
thumbs up
You can say all of that again.

PS
It is almost as if some here are sad when they say they don't think a new album is coming because they are disappointed they will not be able to complain about it.

Date: September 1, 2017 00:45

MOJO article... Thanks to Cristiano ......

ROCKMAN

Date: September 1, 2017 00:48

I'd be content with a Blue and Lonesome II, but this time maybe they could add some originals to it. If not that, it would be great to hear another Keith solo album.
Finally if all that fails, it will be interesting to hear a new Stones album with Stonesy originals. I have a feeling if they (Keith and Mick) can make it happen and put their differences aside, it might be worthy of their legacy.
I've said it before, but still think stubborn Keith should have given in and contributed to Getta Grip/England Lost - they weren't that bad and he might have been able to add some muscle to them. Strip away the sampling and looping, give it all a live sound, combine them in to one song, and voila...another Start Me Up perhaps.

Date: September 1, 2017 01:02

Rockman
[/url]

Cheers, Rockee! thumbs up

Date: September 1, 2017 01:05

Cheers big daddy .... Keep rollin' ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ROCKMAN

Date: September 1, 2017 01:09

Rockman

This was covered in Ultimate Classic Rock last month - it's interesting that MOJO magazine would edit out some major points regarding the possibility of a Blue and Lonesome volume II.

Richards sat down for an installment of “Ask Keith Richards,” which you can watch above, and was asked: “Are you inspired to get back in the studio with the Stones and do some more recording?”
“Yes, we are — very, very shortly,” he replied. “Cutting some new stuff and considering where to take it next. Blue & Lonesome caught us a little bit by surprise in that we figured it was something we had to do, but we didn’t expect the response.” Richards pointed out that the positive response to the album leads to the question of the “inevitable volume two.” “I don’t think we’re going to sucker into that straight away,” he said. “But it wouldn’t take a twist of the arm to do some more of that. It’s such fun to record, and there’s plenty more where that came from.
Blue & Lonesome, the Stones’ best-reviewed album since the ’80s, has revived the band, Richards added. He explained that they’re using it as a “boost to their energy” and that it’s encouraged their “viability” as they move forward.

Here's the original "ask Keith" video:

Ask Keith Richards: Are you inspired to get back in the studio with the Stones and record?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-01 01:09 by Hairball.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 1, 2017 01:33

Rocky Dijon
Saying the album will "never be made" is foolish considering they were specifically given a contract extension by their label for a new studio album after listening to the work-in-progress tracks.
Yes, you are right -- because there is also this bit of info to consider...

"Jumpin' Jack cash! Rolling Stones set to pocket £2m from new album": [www.dailymail.co.uk]

That's 2 million pounds, as opposed to U.S. dollars.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 1, 2017 02:50

Maybe their ears haven't failed them yet. Maybe every new track they cut is just a weak echo of something they've already done. Maybe it's impossible for the Stones to be 'new' in this day and age, and ridiculous to sound like a slowed down version of what they already were.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: September 1, 2017 05:25

24FPS
Maybe their ears haven't failed them yet. Maybe every new track they cut is just a weak echo of something they've already done. Maybe it's impossible for the Stones to be 'new' in this day and age, and ridiculous to sound like a slowed down version of what they already were.

Even if that's the case, new albums of previously unreleased and "only recently rediscovered, thought to have been lost" masterial will arrive in the years to come...

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: September 1, 2017 06:37

HankM
It is almost as if some here are sad when they say they don't think a new album is coming because they are disappointed they will not be able to complain about it.

And others here don't let small details, like an album not being released yet, stop them from complaining about it confused smiley
e.g. every new track is just a weak echo of something they've already done... it's impossible for the Stones to be 'new' in this day and age... sounds like a slowed down version of what they already were.

Date: September 1, 2017 06:41

YEAH Hankeeee.... some poor IORR bastards can't get over that brickwall .....HHHaaaaaaa

There'll be a new album ....

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-01 06:43 by Rockman.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7374757677787980818283...LastNext
Current Page: 78 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2016
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home