Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6970717273747576777879...LastNext
Current Page: 74 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 19, 2017 19:30

if they don't really obviously want to make one then it's really good that they haven't made one. Hats off. Keep on being true to who you really are.when I put the needle down on something that is not there, it's really comforting to hear the silence.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: August 19, 2017 19:50

hopkins
if they don't really obviously want to make one then it's really good that they haven't made one. Hats off. Keep on being true to who you really are.when I put the needle down on something that is not there, it's really comforting to hear the silence.

I don't know, hopkins-san; without a platter loaded up, when I drop my stylus down on the slipmat the resulting grind I hear is far from silence.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: August 19, 2017 19:50

When this album eventually see the light of day I have 1 request -

If you have recorded 16 new tracks, pick the best 10 or 11 with a total running time of 45 mins maximum.

You only had enough tracks for an hour+ album once IMHO.

sc uk

Date: August 19, 2017 19:56

straycatuk

If you have recorded 16 new tracks, pick the best 10 or 11 with a total running time of 45 mins maximum.

sc uk

This is a step in the right direction, although I'd go further: pick the best two, release them in a fortnight on the eve of the tour and play the hell out of them in Europa.

Just spitballin' ...

Date: August 19, 2017 19:59

stonehearted
Because if the results are too self-conscious, then it will show, and they could wind up becoming their own tribute band.

Uhhh ....

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 19, 2017 20:04

straycatuk

sc uk

thumbs up

Date: August 19, 2017 20:12

LongBeachArena72
hopkins

I don't know, hopkins-san; without a platter loaded up, when I drop my stylus down on the slipmat the resulting grind I hear is far from silence.
wow just tried that. Same thing. What a racket. !

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: August 19, 2017 20:13

thumbs up
KRiffhard
straycatuk

sc uk

thumbs up

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 19, 2017 21:18

Maindefender
MD: Yes I'm a card carrying member, signed up for the lifetime offer back in '75...>grinning smiley<tongue sticking out smiley

Cheers Maindefender.

I am one of the same, just trying to keep it real. winking smiley

In fact if it were up to me, Keith would record more sincere solo albums and Mick would record more solo/collaboratve "experimental" music on his own.
If the best they can come up with in 35+ years is an album of average blues covers, then the writing is on the wall...simply put Jagger/Richards doesn't exist anymore as a songwriting team.
Something about Getta Grip/England Lost turned Keith off and he refused to contribute, and maybe Mick thinks Keith's vision is obsolete and/or old fashioned and boring.
BUT...if they could see the light and throw their differences aside, maybe just maybe...even if it was an album of blues originals...something they have a mutual appreciation of...it could be great?
Hitting the wall on a one way street seems to be the direction this was all going, with nothing to show but a loud thud. Hopefully the tour will clear the air, and they can refocus on a new album.
In hindsight, they might realize that whatever they might have been completed thus far is going nowhere and causing a massive division, and from there they will start fresh with a clean slate.
It all ounds like a soap opera, and I now have Fleetwood Mac's "Go Your Own Way" running through my head...so maybe that would be the safest route - Keith solo and Mick solo.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: August 19, 2017 21:27

straycatuk

That's good, the problem is what is good/bad for people's taste.

I've seen endless lists with the best Voodoo Lounge and A Bigger Bang version, there's no list on this forum with the same line up of songs.

Some people list crap stuff (IMO) as She Saw Me Coming or Suck On The Jugular on their favorite lists.

Some people wants anything released, if they release a 11 song album out of 15/16 songs recorded, they want the outtakes too.

Some people wanted the 28 "songs/demos" from the 40 Licks sessions and some people even wanted Keith's version for "One More Shot", a 3rd class song at best.

Who draws the line?

Date: August 19, 2017 22:14

Hairball
Maindefender
MD: Yes I'm a card carrying member, signed up for the lifetime offer back in '75...>grinning smiley<tongue sticking out smiley
In fact if it were up to me, Keith would record more sincere solo albums and Mick would record more solo/collaboratve "experimental" music on his own.
I agree ... but imo the next piece of "experimental" music Mick Jagger records will be the first piece of experimental music he records.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: August 19, 2017 22:25

LongBeachArena72
Hairball
Maindefender
I agree ... but imo the next piece of "experimental" music Mick Jagger records will be the first piece of experimental music he records.

Lol .

Date: August 19, 2017 23:22

LongBeachArena72
Hairball
Maindefender

As mentioned in another thread, "experimental" was a term used by others and the term kind of stuck - hence the quotation marks. There's nothing groundbreaking about any of his solo material imo, it's been more about following contemporary trends, and for some reason Keith refused to participate in the latest which was the point I was making. If they can't work in harmony any more, best to do their own thing instead of compromising their particular vision.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 19, 2017 23:37

Hairball
LongBeachArena72
Hairball
"experimental" music
"experimental" music
"experimental" was a term used by others

Date: August 19, 2017 23:40

stonehearted
Hairball
LongBeachArena72
Hairball
"experimental" music
"experimental" music
"experimental" was a term used by others

Date: August 20, 2017 01:31

georgelicks
straycatuk

That's good, the problem is what is good/bad for people's taste.

I've seen endless lists with the best Voodoo Lounge and A Bigger Bang version, there's no list on this forum with the same line up of songs.

Some people list crap stuff (IMO) as She Saw Me Coming or Suck On The Jugular on their favorite lists.

Some people wants anything released, if they release a 11 song album out of 15/16 songs recorded, they want the outtakes too.

Some people wanted the 28 "songs/demos" from the 40 Licks sessions and some people even wanted Keith's version for "One More Shot", a 3rd class song at best.

Who draws the line?

I'd be happy for a single. Throw us a bone fer krissake... smiling smiley

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: August 20, 2017 02:55

peoplewitheyes
'Releasing 'singles' would not satisfy me. Nor would it satisfy the masses. Those would be teases more than anything and IMO that is lame.'

Isn't that exactly how pop music and the Stones started?

Better a couple of singles put out (what they judge to be the best) than waiting longer for a whole (possibly underwhelming) album. Or, indeed, for nothing.

Well yes that is how Pop music started .. It is also what the Stones did in their very early beginning .... but that is not how it is 'now' ..especially with The Stones. Pop music also started using only 4-8 tracks.. on analog tape ....but that doesn't mean they should record that way in the studio now just because things started out that way ... What was the norm or flew 50 years or more ago is irrelevant. This is the here and now.. That era is way gone for them ...it has been gone and we / music / The Stones have progressed from that decades ago (and most others).

A few songs would be better than nothing from them .. I agree there ... I would accept that and would take it if it was all they had ... or all they were willing ...or all that they could muster ....but ultimately what people want is an 'album' from them because they are still very much in the game of active music as an active band (at least that is how they still advertise themselves).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-20 03:00 by IanBillen.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 20, 2017 03:29

IanBillen
Well yes that is how Pop music started .. It is also what the Stones did in their very early beginning .... but that is not how it is 'now' ..especially with The Stones. Pop music also started using only 4-8 tracks.. on analog tape ....but that doesn't mean they should record that way in the studio now just because things started out that way ... What was the norm or flew 50 years or more ago is irrelevant. This is the here and now.. That era is way gone for them ...it has been gone and we / music / The Stones have progressed from that decades ago (and most others).
But in some ways it has regressed, to the pre-Beatles era: only singles matter and albums are secondary, the market flooded with ersatz singing stars with rock groups no longer relevant. Music-wise, it is 1962 again, only with more lights and machines that go "Ping!".

Date: August 20, 2017 04:22

IanBilen
A few songs would be better than nothing from them .. I agree there ... I would accept that and would take it if it was all they had ... or all they were willing ...or all that they could muster ....

I'm having disturbing visions of 40 Licks and GRRRR where all they had (or all they were willing, or all they could muster) were two or three new songs. Had they released a whole album, and those were the best they could come up with, how do think the rest of the album might have sounded? Not saying any of the new tunes are crap, but if they keep delaying, butting heads, and compromising their individual visions, that's probably how it will all end up. Maybe focus on just one song at a time and work it out before attempting to move forward with a sketchbook full of random ideas adding bits and pieces of guitars, drums, and vocals, etc. Then once the new song is finished and all are in agreement, release it. Might be a difficult task since Mick said he had 40 demos that were already finished, which leaves me to believe he doesn't really want any creative input from the others. Same for Keith - he supposedly has his dynamite riffs and is probably being stubborn in getting them to work within the band. Something has to give, otherwise we'll end up with more Getta Grips and some random Keith material that should have been kept on solo albums.

Date: August 20, 2017 04:57

Hairball
IanBilen
A few songs would be better than nothing from them .. I agree there ... I would accept that and would take it if it was all they had ... or all they were willing ...or all that they could muster ....

I'm having disturbing visions of 40 Licks and GRRRR where all they had (or all they were willing, or all they could muster) were two or three new songs. Had they released a whole album, and those were the best they could come up with, how do think the rest of the album might have sounded? Not saying any of the new tunes are crap, but if they keep delaying, butting heads, and compromising their individual visions, that's probably how it will all end up. Maybe focus on just one song at a time and work it out before attempting to move forward with a sketchbook full of random ideas adding bits and pieces of guitars, drums, and vocals, etc. Then once the new song is finished and all are in agreement, release it. Might be a difficult task since Mick said he had 40 demos that were already finished, which leaves me to believe he doesn't really want any creative input from the others. Same for Keith - he supposedly has his dynamite riffs and is probably being stubborn in getting them to work within the band. Something has to give, otherwise we'll end up with more Getta Grips and some random Keith material that should have been kept on solo albums.

Hairball .. I like the fact that you are always available for a nice conversation or conversational debate. Great to hear from you as usual.

Well now I'll answer your thought... We had A Bigger Bang after the 40 licks sessions and IMO it was a real solid album ... great stuff... and they sounded great. Loved the album.

As far as the idea of them having sketches and song ideas they are pulling from .. we know nothing. That is all speculation. We don't know if they are working on one song at a time or 10 ... We have no clue whats going on in the studio. All we know is they are recording in bursts.. not prolonged segments. They are not satisfied with what they have and that they are deciding which way to take things. As well we know they want to 'get it right' as Mick very recently stated in an interview when discussing the new album and it's ongoing activities.

So whatever they are doing we have no idea ... We have to wait and see what this yields. One thing is for certain ... they are taking their time with said album more than any other album in their career. Why that is.. we dont know yet... we can only guess.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-20 04:58 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: August 20, 2017 05:48

Hopefully we might get a teaser on the upcoming tour.

Date: August 20, 2017 06:25

IanBillen
Hairball
IanBilen

Hairball .. I like the fact that you are always available for a nice conversation or conversational debate. Great to hear from you as usual.

Well now I'll answer your thought... We had A Bigger Bang after the 40 licks sessions and IMO it was a real solid album ... great stuff... and they sounded great. Loved the album.

As far as the idea of them having sketches and song ideas they are pulling from .. we know nothing. That is all speculation. We don't know if they are working on one song at a time or 10 ... We have no clue whats going on in the studio. All we know is they are recording in bursts.. not prolonged segments. They are not satisfied with what they have and that they are deciding which way to take things. As well we know they want to 'get it right' as Mick very recently stated in an interview when discussing the new album and it's ongoing activities.

So whatever they are doing we have no idea ... We have to wait and see what this yields. One thing is for certain ... they are taking their time with said album more than any other album in their career. Why that is.. we dont know yet... we can only guess.

Exactly - none of us really know a thing, but Ronnie recently let the cat out of the bag by saying “We’ve got some songs in the bag for the next Stones album”, so we know they've completed some tracks!!! I assume they're going to revisit those to be reworked after the tour otherwise they might have released one or two of them now in finished form prior to the tour just as Mick quickly released Getta Grip. Or maybe they're keepers and the Stones are hoarding them to be included in the new album. Or maybe Ronnie is full of B.S. and/or was misquoted.

Regarding A Bigger Bang - are you saying that album was made up from leftovers from the inferior 40Licks sessions? I honestly don't know, but I suppose it could have been partially made from leftovers? Sounds like leftovers to me, so that would make sense. Whatever the case, as with any Stones album there are some who like it and others who don't - it just seems more lean towards the latter with ABB. I'm pretty sure all would agree it certainly doesn't rank anywhere near their best, but that would be asking a lot. As for me, I won't get into details of why I would consider it a fail as it's been discussed ad nauseum by many others on this board (including myself), but I'll just say it's a blemish. I think Keith even mentioned his distaste for it not long after it was released, which is surprising as I think they were still out on tour promoting it at the time.

So here we are...none of us know much about what's happening, yet in no particular order we do know they hit a wall, released some blues covers, have been back in the studio in spurts, Keith refused to play on Getta Grip, Mick released it on his own, Ronnie claims they have some songs finished (questionable), and the new tour starts in less than a month which really seems to be the only bright light in this entire saga. Somehow this thread remains alive filled with speculation and conjecture - but somewhere in the midst of it all lies the truth, and the truth will someday be revealed. Hopefully a new album by the band will also see the light of day, although it's beginning to look less and less likely imo....the clock is ticking.

Date: August 20, 2017 06:51

Hairball
Keith refused to play on Getta Grip, Mick released it on his own

Do we know this to be true? Or is it speculation (informed or otherwise) by people with "connections"? I presume no one in the band has confirmed whether or not this was just a Mick solo track that Ron and Charlie happened to play on? It has been proved that it was initially a Stones song that was rejected by Keith?

Date: August 20, 2017 07:11

Hairball
IanBillen
Hairball
IanBilen

Exactly - none of us really know a thing, but Ronnie recently let the cat out of the bag by saying “We’ve got some songs in the bag for the next Stones album”, so we know they've completed some tracks!!! I assume they're going to revisit those to be reworked after the tour otherwise they might have released one or two of them now in finished form prior to the tour just as Mick quickly released Getta Grip. Or maybe they're keepers and the Stones are hoarding them to be included in the new album. Or maybe Ronnie is full of B.S. and/or was misquoted.

Regarding A Bigger Bang - are you saying that album was made up from leftovers from the inferior 40Licks sessions? I honestly don't know, but I suppose it could have been partially made from leftovers? Sounds like leftovers to me, so that would make sense. Whatever the case, as with any Stones album there are some who like it and others who don't - it just seems more lean towards the latter with ABB. I'm pretty sure all would agree it certainly doesn't rank anywhere near their best, but that would be asking a lot. As for me, I won't get into details of why I would consider it a fail as it's been discussed ad nauseum by many others on this board (including myself), but I'll just say it's a blemish. I think Keith even mentioned his distaste for it not long after it was released, which is surprising as I think they were still out on tour promoting it at the time.

So here we are...none of us know much about what's happening, yet in no particular order we do know they hit a wall, released some blues covers, have been back in the studio in spurts, Keith refused to play on Getta Grip, Mick released it on his own, Ronnie claims they have some songs finished (questionable), and the new tour starts in less than a month which really seems to be the only bright light in this entire saga. Somehow this thread remains alive filled with speculation and conjecture - but somewhere in the midst of it all lies the truth, and the truth will someday be revealed. Hopefully a new album by the band will also see the light of day, although it's beginning to look less and less likely imo....the clock is ticking.

No I am saying that after only putting out a mere four tracks they got together again and then recorded and wrote an entire album ... then recorded A Bigger Bang. As I understand it the tracks from A Bigger Bang were 90% from those writing sessions (the A Bigger Bang Writing Sessions). I think there was rumored to be a few songs left over from Alfie.

Still I think almost all of it was written for A Bigger Bang with Keith at Micks House 2004-2005. I think the album is very solid and sounds great. Good songs.. and it rocks all the way through. In your face ballsy stripped down Stones (even with a bit of humor at times ala Some Girls). I really like it and I loved it when it came out.

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-20 07:13 by IanBillen.

Date: August 20, 2017 07:13

LongBeachArena72
Hairball

Do we know this to be true? Or is it speculation (informed or otherwise) by people with "connections"? I presume no one in the band has confirmed whether or not this was just a Mick solo track that Ron and Charlie happened to play on? It has been proved that it was initially a Stones song that was rejected by Keith?

georgelicks
I can tell from my source that both songs were from the Stones' sessions for the new album, both Ronnie and Charlie are on it but Keith refused to play, just like he did not play on Saint Of Me.
Both songs were re-worked as Mick Jagger solo songs, Universal wanted something out to test the market and keep the hype about the new album and Mick was happy to put something out.

Whether or not it's absolutely true might be up for debate, but I see no reason to doubt the source above.

Date: August 20, 2017 08:41

Hairball
LongBeachArena72
Hairball

georgelicks
I can tell from my source that both songs were from the Stones' sessions for the new album, both Ronnie and Charlie are on it but Keith refused to play, just like he did not play on Saint Of Me.
Both songs were re-worked as Mick Jagger solo songs, Universal wanted something out to test the market and keep the hype about the new album and Mick was happy to put something out.

Whether or not it's absolutely true might be up for debate, but I see no reason to doubt the source above.

Oh yeah, I remember reading that. I guess my first reaction was: well, why didn't he release "Saint of Me" as a solo single then? That ended up on a Stones record despite Keith's "refusal."

So I guess what's really different about this time is that:

1) Mick had a demo
2) Keith hated it
3) Mick got Ronnie and Charlie to play on it
4) Universal heard it and said, 'hey, let's gauge the interest for a potential Stones album by releasing a song Keith hates as a Mick Jagger solo single."

If I've put this together correctly--and pls inform me if I haven't--then I believe it may qualify as either hogwash or balderdash. I can never keep those two straight.

Date: August 20, 2017 09:09

Just relaying whatever info. is available, and whether it's truth, hogwash (or balderdash lol) depends on how one wants to interpret it all.
Again, I see no reason to doubt the source, but can understand why someone might think it's nonsense.

As for my first thought when reading it, I posted that it seemed odd Keith would refuse as it's not much of a stretch to see it as a Stones song - it sounds like a demo or leftover from any Stones album from the past few decades. I compared it to other oddball Mick tunes that have made it on to Stones albums, most of which Keith contributed to, so why would he refuse to play on this? Is he just being a stubborn old fart?

edit: Here's the entire quote from georgelicks I cited above which adds more context, and I should have included it in the first place.
Again, just relaying whatever info. is available:

georgelicks
There are more songs like these from the 15 or so new songs recorded so far, but it looks like Keith wants a classic Rolling Stones sounding album, no dance or experimental stuff on it so there's the fight for the final cut of the new album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-20 09:34 by Hairball.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 20, 2017 12:13

.... cant we have the "brickwall" statement again ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 20, 2017 14:48

IanBillen
peoplewitheyes
'Releasing 'singles' would not satisfy me. Nor would it satisfy the masses. Those would be teases more than anything and IMO that is lame.'

Isn't that exactly how pop music and the Stones started?

Better a couple of singles put out (what they judge to be the best) than waiting longer for a whole (possibly underwhelming) album. Or, indeed, for nothing.

A few songs would be better than nothing from them .. I agree there ... I would accept that and would take it if it was all they had ... or all they were willing ...or all that they could muster ....but ultimately what people want is an 'album' from them because they are still very much in the game of active music as an active band (at least that is how they still advertise themselves).

Well, the way it used to be 50 years ago was that artists had contracts that required (at least) 2 or 3 singles, 1 album and the odd EP a year - there were deadlines to meet, and if you were not able to come up with the goods, you were out of the game. The 60's are always described as the most creative period in pop music, but there was always a lot of pressure to stay on top of the game and ahead of your competitors. There simply was not enough time to discuss the merits of songs endlessly, thinking about arrangements or re-recording parts endlessly (also due to technical limits like 2, 4 or 8 track limitations, of course), once you had a song, you recorded it and decisions had to be made more or less "on the spot" if you had a final take or better leave it "in the can"... It was an extremely stressful period for artists and songwriters, but the results speak for themselves imo... On the other hand, what could be more satisfying than writing a song, recording it and seeing it released all within a time frame of a couple of weeks? Maybe at least a small slice of that working ethic from the start of their career would do the Stones good nowadays.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-20 16:42 by retired_dog.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 20, 2017 15:20

Well said, Retired Dog!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6970717273747576777879...LastNext
Current Page: 74 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1842
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home