Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 704
Re: Another album in 2017 ?
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 5, 2017 09:36

RipThisBone
georgelicks
mariano
honest man could be a great new single .....

A 24 years old song new? eye rolling smiley

Tattoo You has songs from 1972 to 1981, the oldest one had 9 years at time of release.

Now on 2017 we have to go to 12-13 years ago to find the NEW outtakes, some of them (Nothing On Me, Illusion, Trouble) were used by Keith on his latest solo album.

Mick has over 40 new songs written during the last 10 years, he did use 2/3 songs on Superheavy + Doom and Gloom 5 years ago, Keith has 2/3 riffs or ideas, very much on the "One More Shot" type I bet and a ballad.

We'll get that, the best of Mick's demos (or the most 'Stones sounding' ones) with a couple of Keith contributions here and there.

After 55 years we can't ask for more, a decent set of new songs at this point, not more than that.

A 24 years old song new?

Why not? It's a ROLLING STONES song. They wrote it, but did not release it until now. At this point I don't see the difference between a 9 year gap (Tattoo You I) or a 45 year gap between releasing a GREAT new version of Fast Talking Slow Walking.

Why NOT go into the recording studio and make an album like this:
- New 2017 versions of three/four old outtakes (Honest Man thumbs up, Fast Talking Slow Walking, Strictly Memphis, unknown outtakes...there must be a few...)
- Two songs written by Keith
- Four/Five songs written by Mick
- One song written by Ronnie (Jagger, Richards, Wood)
- One cover song

thumbs up
Without considering all the great stuff from previous sessions, don't forget BTB outtakes (High or Low, Ever-changing world, Feeling now, Young Love, Dont Apologize, I'm cured...), other outtakes from VL sessions (You got it made, Randy Whore, Zip Mouth Angel..) and 40 Licks sessions (they recorded more than 20 tracks).

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: March 5, 2017 10:57

Can't see any reason why this album won't be great. They surely have enough material after an 11 year lay off !!. Remember keith's last solo album was none to shabby.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: March 5, 2017 14:43

@Georgelicks

Do you think that next December could be a good opportunity and the probable month for the issue?!I think so and it could be an Australasian Tour in early February(Exhibitionism moves to Australia in 2018)or an US Arena Tour that should be good for album sales don't you?!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 5, 2017 15:04

mailexile67
@Georgelicks

Do you think that next December could be a good opportunity and the probable month for the issue?!I think so and it could be an Australasian Tour in early February(Exhibitionism moves to Australia in 2018)or an US Arena Tour that should be good for album sales don't you?!

Its possible of course. But a summer release coinciding with a concert tour (and all the hoohah it generates) would still make commercial sense, particularly after a two million seller.
Times running out however.
Artists and record companies aren't just geared to Christmas sales, in any case there is some logic to releasing product at a time when the competition isnt quite so fierce.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 6, 2017 06:12

mariano

That song is horrible. As in (awful bad) Jagger solo crap.

Date: March 6, 2017 06:26

TATTOO YOU consisted of all leftovers, with the oldest band recorded tracks done in 1972 and the newest band recorded tracks done in 1979 and overdubs in 1980-81.

Because Chris Kimsey went through loads of tapes and had to listen to things. There were more songs worked on.

Tattoo You really came about because Mick and Keith were going through a period of not getting on. There was a need to have an album out, and I told everyone I could make an album from what I knew was still there.
- Chris Kimsey

I spent 3 months going through like the last 4, 5 albums finding stuff that had been either forgotten about or at the time rejected. And then I presented it to the band and I said, Hey, look guys, you've got all this great stuff sitting in the can and it's great material, do something with it.
- Chris Kimsey, 1982

Since I'd recorded a number of songs during Some Girls and Emotional Rescue that they'd never used, I assumed there must be other bits and pieces lying around. So, I spent a couple of months going through all their tapes and I found these gems: Waiting On A Friend and Tops were from the Goats Head Soup sessions; Slave and Worried About You were from Black and Blue; Start Me Up was from Some Girls; and Hang Fire (webmaster note: started during Some Girls), Little T&A, Black Limousine (also started during Some Girls) (...) and No Use In Crying were from Emotional Rescue. I did rough mixes at Olympic of everything I'd found, sent them to the band members, and then began working on the tracks... The main thing missing from most of them was Sir Mick's vocal, because he hadn't finished writing the lyrics, so those parts were recorded in Paris in mid-1981.
- Chris Kimsey, 2004

[timeisonourside.com]

A bit different now with files - quicker, at least, to go through.

They could do another album like TATTOO YOU, with new songs even. There's no "pressure" like they had in 1981 though.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: March 6, 2017 12:46

GasLightStreet
mariano

Honest Man is great indeed and almost the only VL-outtake/leftover worth listening to. Too bad they didn´t finish it and put it on VL, would have been one the album´s top highlights. It´s not crap, it´s straigtht rocking with good lyrics. Maybe you confuse it with other crap from Stew, Brew, Residue (there´s a lot of).

Finishing it now for a new album would be nice, but all vocal/instrumental tracks of course have to be newly recorded takes, no using of old material allowed.

If all of the new Jagger-demos were of Honest-Man-quality, the new album would be in stores already.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 6, 2017 20:43

HMS
If all of the new Jagger-demos were of Honest-Man-quality, the new album would be in stores already.

If Honest Man had any quality, it would have been on Voodoo Lounge. While the music is quite ok, the vocal melody shows that Jagger does not know what to do with this track, it sounds forced and constructed and consequently, the track was left in the can.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: March 7, 2017 14:01

retired_dog
HMS

If Honest Man had any quality, it would have been on Voodoo Lounge. While the music is quite ok, the vocal melody shows that Jagger does not know what to do with this track, it sounds forced and constructed and consequently, the track was left in the can.

I am one of those who think that among what was left out of VL were tracks and/or ideas better than the released pack.

Date: March 7, 2017 14:25

Back to the point of this thread!!

The new UK Tax year commences 5 April so there could be a regrouping in London in the next few weeks.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: March 7, 2017 14:58

jlowe
Back to the point of this thread!!

The new UK Tax year commences 5 April so there could be a regrouping in London in the next few weeks.

...Now that 's a point.

Working on new Music
Posted by: vintage stone ()
Date: March 7, 2017 08:28

Here is a link to read about the Band´s working on new material....

[www.hennemusic.com]

Re: Working on new Music
Date: March 7, 2017 08:52

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 7, 2017 09:23

....too much info ... can someone decipher it all for me ...

ROCKMAN

Date: March 7, 2017 10:20

Rockman

MMD (Mick Makes Demos) winking smiley

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 7, 2017 10:38

Disappointed to read Mick saying "I'm working on new songs now", as opposed to "we're".

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 7, 2017 13:02

vintage stone

[www.hennemusic.com]
Now, wait a minute, I suppose this would be very interesting, but of the members of the Band, isn't Robbie Robertson the only one left? I could be wrong.

Date: March 7, 2017 13:05

Rockman

Mick is working on his demos for a new solo album with Stones overdubs.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: March 7, 2017 14:14

stonehearted
vintage stone

[www.hennemusic.com]
Now, wait a minute, I suppose this would be very interesting, but of the members of the Band, isn't Robbie Robertson the only one left? I could be wrong.

Garth Hudson is still with us.

Date: March 7, 2017 14:34

Yes, Garth is still with us.
He seems a bit like Charlie, quiet and low key. Doesn't seem to do much in the way of interviews, no tell all autobiography (yet).
Unlike Charlie though, he has not managed his financial affairs very well.
Except for Robbie, fame has been a bit double edged for the other four.

Date: March 7, 2017 16:54

retired_dog
HMS

It's Jagger imitating Kenny Loggins. It's horrible and not worthy - like most of DIRTY WORK and a number of songs since - of being called a Stones song.

Date: March 7, 2017 16:57

HMS
GasLightStreet
mariano

Honest Man is great indeed and almost the only VL-outtake/leftover worth listening to. Too bad they didn´t finish it and put it on VL, would have been one the album´s top highlights. It´s not crap, it´s straigtht rocking with good lyrics. Maybe you confuse it with other crap from Stew, Brew, Residue (there´s a lot of).

Finishing it now for a new album would be nice, but all vocal/instrumental tracks of course have to be newly recorded takes, no using of old material allowed.

Your ignorance and ineptness is tremendous.

The single cover for Honest Man would be this:

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 7, 2017 17:20

Let Keith and Ronnie grab ahold of it and STONES IT UP!! I'd like to hear that.....thumbs up

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 7, 2017 17:36

GasLightStreet is an honest man. Don't blow his cover.

Date: March 8, 2017 09:23

DandelionPowderman
Rockman

MMD (Mick Makes Demos) winking smiley

...FS0 (For Stones Overdubs)

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: March 8, 2017 14:05

Honest Man is more or less a demo, it is not quite finished and needs to be worked on. But it shows GREAT potential. If they would record a new guitar heavy version, Honest Man could be a smash just like Doom And Gloom, even better.

Date: March 9, 2017 04:02

mailexile67
@Georgelicks

December of 2018? They may get one more together by then.

Date: March 9, 2017 04:04

HMS
Honest Man is more or less a demo, it is not quite finished and needs to be worked on. But it shows GREAT potential. If they would record a new guitar heavy version, Honest Man could be a smash just like Doom And Gloom, even better.

Nope. Wrong as usual.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 9, 2017 08:14

HMS

You hear things in that demo that the Stones themselves obviously did not hear. Therefore, it stayed in the can without further work. I agree with them. Every effort I could possibly imagine would not turn this into anything better than a b-side track like I'm Gonna Drive or similar. But a "smash hit"? No.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 9, 2017 11:58

Recently I am listening a lot to "Keep It Cool" ( [www.youtube.com] ), which is a terrific jam and a pity it never got worked into a song for an album. On the other hand, there is a vague similarity to Gunface (at least to my ears), in which case they've worked it the wrong way.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1696
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home