Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9
Re: Mick & Keith: What happened?
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 22, 2016 20:02

Lem motlow , i think you are really on to something because no one creates a ticket buying frenzy like the Glimmers do and we all keep ponying up each tour as the ticket prices keep going up and up .This is really genius on the London School of Economics product of how to keep the till over flowing and it has not stopped or slowed down one bit .I myself get really excited every time the Stones mount a tour near or far and to think of the lengths that we go too in money and travel to chase our favorite band around is mind blowing .I wish i could make money the way the Glimmers have done .

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 22, 2016 20:08

It could be (part) PR, however the reality is that they have seemed unable to get together in the recording studio for 10 plus years and create and record NEW material.
Until this year that is. And even those sessions have not exactly been extensive.
Its not as though they haven't had songs to work on, otherwise we wouldn't have had CH and Mick wouldn't come out with the quote that he has 'lots of songs written'.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 22, 2016 21:14

But then when you watch that recent YouTube clip of them discussing their Edith Grove apartment...they genuinely seem at least at ease with each other. That's some A+ acting if they truly can't stand each other.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 22, 2016 21:28

keefriff99
But then when you watch that recent YouTube clip of them discussing their Edith Grove apartment...they genuinely seem at least at ease with each other. That's some A+ acting if they truly can't stand each other.

[www.youtube.com]

But this is a "work-setting" example.
Money is to be made here with this staged sit down.

Take Lem's challenge on page 4...
I can't and it makes me distressed and depressed.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 22, 2016 21:35

keefriff99

[www.youtube.com]
They play their parts, they get a load of money, It's a nice scene, they just have to stand each other for an hour. Mick seems to behave like his slightly embarrassed nephew or something.

Date: September 22, 2016 21:37

Kurt
keefriff99

[www.youtube.com]

But this is a "work-setting" example.
Money is to be made here with this staged sit down.

Take Lem's challenge on page 4...
I can't and it makes me distressed and depressed.
No, I get that, but their body language seems very at ease and friendly. You can tell when people are tense with each other.

You can even see body language tells between Hollywood actors who hate each other.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 22, 2016 21:38

Redhotcarpet
keefriff99

[www.youtube.com]
They play their parts, they get a load of money, It's a nice scene, they just have to stand each other for an hour. Mick seems to behave like his slightly embarrassed nephew or something.

smiling smiley
Yeah, Mick seems impatient, like he just wants to get it over with.

Date: September 22, 2016 21:56

wonderboy
Redhotcarpet
keefriff99

[www.youtube.com]

smiling smiley
Yeah, Mick seems impatient, like he just wants to get it over with.
Okay, I guess I'm just a bad judge of people then, LOL.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: September 22, 2016 22:36

lem motlow

show me a picture of mick and keith in a social setting,it has to be non-work related.like the picture of ronnie by the pool with keith or mick and charlie having dinner.-i''ll give you a 25 year time span this time.25 years..

I happen to think you're right that they haven't been friends for a long time, but their whole relationship is built around music, so it's really not that surprising that you don't see many photos of them together where they're not doing something "work-related".

Even way back in the 60s you'd see photos of Mick and Marianne at some party, or Keith and Anita doing something groovy in Marrakesh or whatever, but not much in the way of pictures Mick and Keith not taken in a studio, or onstage, or backstage.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 22, 2016 22:40

In no way do I claim to be a judge of people. I'm frequently wrong and rather naive lol.

But I don't know, it looks like they like each other in that Edith Grove clip. I wouldn't begin to do Len's challenge, mainly cause I'm sure its hard and the clips to prove him wrong would be few if not nonexistent. But I don't know, if you go by the Edith clip, it looks like two really old guys that remember those fond days and how far they've come. On different wavelengths of course, Keith looks as wrinkled as I've ever seen him lol. But I could see them sitting there like that for an hour, even if cameras weren't rolling.

But again, maybe thats just a fantasy in my head. Just seems that way to me. The whole "where did we sleep?!" and the "horrendous carpet" that they both say in unison. It literally makes me smile so wide. I'm fine if it is fake, I'm a big boy lol, but it really seems genuine. Anyone else also feel like Mick kinda likes to quiz Keith about everything in this clip? He's gotta know all these answers but the only way to get stuff out of Keith and steer the conversation is to ask him a question lol?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-22 22:42 by RollingFreak.

Date: September 22, 2016 22:46

RollingFreak
In no way do I claim to be a judge of people. I'm frequently wrong and rather naive lol.

But I don't know, it looks like they like each other in that Edith Grove clip. I wouldn't begin to do Len's challenge, mainly cause I'm sure its hard and the clips to prove him wrong would be few if not nonexistent. But I don't know, if you go by the Edith clip, it looks like two really old guys that remember those fond days and how far they've come. On different wavelengths of course, Keith looks as wrinkled as I've ever seen him lol. But I could see them sitting there like that for an hour, even if cameras weren't rolling.

But again, maybe thats just a fantasy in my head. Just seems that way to me. The whole "where did we sleep?!" and the "horrendous carpet" that they both say in unison. It literally makes me smile so wide. I'm fine if it is fake, I'm a big boy lol, but it really seems genuine. Anyone else also feel like Mick kinda likes to quiz Keith about everything in this clip? He's gotta know all these answers but the only way to get stuff out of Keith and steer the conversation is to ask him a question lol?
That's how I see it...I don't see Mick as being impatient and wanting to leave, but being the showman, he's keenly aware that they're being recorded and he wants to keep the pace of the conversation moving forward at a good pace, so he's prompting Keith to keep him from lingering too long with his mumbling and long uhhhhhhs.

Posted by: thijs1981 ()
Date: September 22, 2016 22:51

A band is a strange thing. A band that has been together for over 50 years... Throw in a over 60 yea old friendship... We will never know how that must feel. It must be the weirdest thing. Like a married couple, with the whole world watching + birthdays, kids, suicides & addictions. Both have had to put up with a lot.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 22, 2016 23:01

wonderboy
Lot of good opinions, but the 'fake feud' thing is silly.
No marketing or publicity person in his or her right mind would think that's a good way to sell a band.

of course,i was making a joke in my last post.

can you imagine that meeting.the P.R. people and the record company guys all sitting around-"o.k keith and i we're thinking he would say i have a small dick,we wouldn't talk for a few years and not write any songs together.that's our new scheme,people will think we're fighting ,it will be all the rage"

how's that search going guys?we have a video on rollingstones.com pushing the exhibition?-that's gotta be genuine because they're letting people in for free ,right? not like these guys have been in movies or something....
anything else? i'll tell you what,it doesn't have to be a picture or video.i'll take a magazine blurb,just words about them hanging and it can be a 10 minute conversation,just words from a magazine about them in a non-working enviroment,i'll take it. i think there was a story about mick going to keiths house in new york or wherever a couple years ago,try that..

Date: September 22, 2016 23:15

lem motlow
wonderboy
Lot of good opinions, but the 'fake feud' thing is silly.
No marketing or publicity person in his or her right mind would think that's a good way to sell a band.

of course,i was making a joke in my last post.

can you imagine that meeting.the P.R. people and the record company guys all sitting around-"o.k keith and i we're thinking he would say i have a small dick,we wouldn't talk for a few years and not write any songs together.that's our new scheme,people will think we're fighting ,it will be all the rage"

how's that search going guys?we have a video on rollingstones.com pushing the exhibition?-that's gotta be genuine because they're letting people in for free ,right? not like these guys have been in movies or something....
anything else? i'll tell you what,it doesn't have to be a picture or video.i'll take a magazine blurb,just words about them hanging and it can be a 10 minute conversation,just words from a magazine about them in a non-working enviroment,i'll take it. i think there was a story about mick going to keiths house in new york or wherever a couple years ago,try that..
I did NOT post that video as a response to your challenge, nor did I post it to prove that they're still best friends...only that if they truly hate and despise each other, they deserve Oscar nominations.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 23, 2016 00:52

keefriff99
I did NOT post that video as a response to your challenge, nor did I post it to prove that they're still best friends...only that if they truly hate and despise each other, they deserve Oscar nominations.

If you and your worst enemy worked for me and i told you 'i'll give you a million dollars each for every 2 hours of work you do together-but you have to act like best friends" you'd be laughing off every difference you ever had and be smiling like eddie murphy high on humbolt county kush.

the closest we've seen them come to losing it was the one hit video,since then they've played the roles really well.

new wrinkle in our game-we can use off days on any tour from the last 25 years.mick and keith at a museum,at a restaurant,any sightseeing,-they take 3 or 4 days off between shows.surely we can find them hanging out for a few minutes offstage.

Date: September 23, 2016 00:54

I dont think they ever really were best friends except some periods in the 60s. What Keith doesnt include in his stories is Linda Keith dumping him for Hendrix and after Anita leaves Brian because of a beating she has no second thoughts on persuading Mick. And finally sleeps with him during Performance - a film reminding everybody of how he actually became a cuckold to Anita (and Mick and the band in a way) with the help of heroin. Off heroin God knows what really happened in 1980 between them - not everything was bad but I still think that therapy, reconnecting with his father, giving up Anita and smack for Patti but also being forced to do so by Mick (probably) hurt. Working or maybe "living" with Mick turned him into "f--kface" he said during Babylon (about Babyface). I think he has to pretend he has shared his life with Mick because it sounds better. Working closely with someone who doesnt respect you is not very nice.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 23, 2016 09:56

HonkeyTonkFlash
>the Ian Stewart concert was on February 23rd 1986 and the Grammy prize a couple of days later on the 25th :>

I remember seeing the Grammy thing on TV...Perhaps this was the period when Charlie wasn't...um...doing well? I remember him looking uncharacteristically wasted. He was mumbling something incomprehensible about the grammy plaque, like it looked like a skateboard, and "It hasn't got any wheels!" Or maybe I was wasted when I watched it!...drinking smiley

Actually I'd never seen it until yesterday when I found it for my post [www.youtube.com] pretty scary indeed, you can understand Mick's comments in 89 that he was 100% right not wanting to tour since the band wasn't even able to cross the Champs Elysées.Charlie was described by fans who hung out with them as being permanently drunk but it was worse than that...what a nightmare the whole situation must have been and being English and all it's possible they never even confronted Charlie with it. Although I still think Keith's "Victor Hugo" outtake is about that situation.

About Mick dropping by at Keith's? Didn't he do that in late '88 when Keith was only too happy to talk about the went to take a piss/came back to see him dancing to my solo LP/went back, slammed the door/came back he was sitting quietly? ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 23, 2016 10:34

gotdablouse
HonkeyTonkFlash
>the Ian Stewart concert was on February 23rd 1986 and the Grammy prize a couple of days later on the 25th :>

I remember seeing the Grammy thing on TV...Perhaps this was the period when Charlie wasn't...um...doing well? I remember him looking uncharacteristically wasted. He was mumbling something incomprehensible about the grammy plaque, like it looked like a skateboard, and "It hasn't got any wheels!" Or maybe I was wasted when I watched it!...drinking smiley

Actually I'd never seen it until yesterday when I found it for my post [www.youtube.com] pretty scary indeed, you can understand Mick's comments in 89 that he was 100% right not wanting to tour since the band wasn't even able to cross the Champs Elysées.Charlie was described by fans who hung out with them as being permanently drunk but it was worse than that...what a nightmare the whole situation must have been and being English and all it's possible they never even confronted Charlie with it. Although I still think Keith's "Victor Hugo" outtake is about that situation.

About Mick dropping by at Keith's? Didn't he do that in late '88 when Keith was only too happy to talk about the went to take a piss/came back to see him dancing to my solo LP/went back, slammed the door/came back he was sitting quietly? ;-)

I've heard that story also and wonder if it's true. If Mick was so sick of Keith at the time, would he be making a social call?

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: September 23, 2016 10:40

Well Mick had too, he had lost a lot of money and he had to reunite. I gotta add that i dont think Mick is very hateful or bitter at all which probably makes it possible to continue with "uncle Keith" as long as Keith is not in a bad mood. Besides Mick probably did admire Keith for a period in the 60s and early 70s.

Date: September 23, 2016 10:47

Norman Seeff 1972

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 23, 2016 10:56

As I said earlier: Their personalities turned out in a different direction. It was probably inevitable. Nothing strange with that.
Many bands (and other relationships...) don't last more than a couple of years due that (and other things...).

Date: September 23, 2016 11:24

Keith had to use heroin to be able to continue with Mick and then he had to give up heroin to continue with Mick. And then Mick continued without Keith. Maybe that pissed him off.

Date: September 23, 2016 11:52

I remember seeing an interview with Mick on TV back around 2012. The interviewer asked Mick if an apology from Keith regarding "Life" was a factor in them playing live again. Mick looked somewhat genuinely uncomfortable and said something like, "Yes, in fact it was a requirement." I've often laughed off a lot of the things Keith has said about Mick, as I'm a big Keith fan but geez....How must Mick have felt about being called "Brenda, tiny todger," etc. By his partner of many years. Surely the man has feelings and that all must have hurt. God only knows how they manage to work together after all that....I know...$$$$$ talks....

Date: September 23, 2016 11:53

«prerequisite» smiling smiley

Here's the interview

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-23 11:54 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: September 23, 2016 12:02

DandelionPowderman

Here's the interview

Cool...Thanks!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 23, 2016 15:50

HonkeyTonkFlash
I remember seeing an interview with Mick on TV back around 2012. The interviewer asked Mick if an apology from Keith regarding "Life" was a factor in them playing live again. Mick looked somewhat genuinely uncomfortable and said something like, "Yes, in fact it was a requirement." I've often laughed off a lot of the things Keith has said about Mick, as I'm a big Keith fan but geez....How must Mick have felt about being called "Brenda, tiny todger," etc. By his partner of many years. Surely the man has feelings and that all must have hurt. God only knows how they manage to work together after all that....I know...$$$$$ talks....

I know, right? Its so public and its such an embarrassing guy thing that it is pretty shocking. Maybe he just chalks it up to Keith being Keith sometimes? Also, in regards to them hanging, again not that I'm taking part in the challenge, but a lot of bands don't hang together when they aren't on stage. Bruce Springsteen is very close with his bands, and I believe they barely ever see each other when they aren't touring. I know that fact has surprised many Bruce fans, because he seems so close to them. But I'm pretty sure his sax player Clarence said at one time "you'd be surprised how little I see him." So Mick and Keith not getting together for things that aren't work related is not a weird idea to me. Its common in bands.

Date: September 23, 2016 15:59

RollingFreak
HonkeyTonkFlash

I know, right? Its so public and its such an embarrassing guy thing that it is pretty shocking. Maybe he just chalks it up to Keith being Keith sometimes? Also, in regards to them hanging, again not that I'm taking part in the challenge, but a lot of bands don't hang together when they aren't on stage. Bruce Springsteen is very close with his bands, and I believe they barely ever see each other when they aren't touring. I know that fact has surprised many Bruce fans, because he seems so close to them. But I'm pretty sure his sax player Clarence said at one time "you'd be surprised how little I see him." So Mick and Keith not getting together for things that aren't work related is not a weird idea to me. Its common in bands.
As someone else mentioned, the only "classic" era band that truly seems to be good friends who actually hang out socially outside band activities is Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson of Rush. They're actually neighbors in Toronto, which I find so endearing.

But really, after spending months and months on the road in close quarters together, why should a band want to see each other socially? I don't particularly want to see my coworkers on weekends, and I only go out for drinks with them maybe once or twice a year.

Date: September 23, 2016 16:12

RollingFreak
HonkeyTonkFlash

Exactly. Maybe 73 year olds don't «hang» that much, no matter how fond they are of eachother smiling smiley

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 23, 2016 18:16

Redhotcarpet
Well Mick had too, he had lost a lot of money and he had to reunite. I gotta add that i dont think Mick is very hateful or bitter at all which probably makes it possible to continue with "uncle Keith" as long as Keith is not in a bad mood. Besides Mick probably did admire Keith for a period in the 60s and early 70s.

Why had Mick lost a lot of money (by 1989) ?
After the Klein debacle (which affected them all) and the Bianca divorce (for which he wasn't exactly generous), his fortune has increased year on year.

Date: September 23, 2016 18:25

HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman

Here's the interview

Cool...Thanks!

I always found Keith's follow up to Mick's comment regarding the apology disturbing:

"I'd say anything to get the band together, you know? I'd lie to my mother."

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2289
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home