Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 7 of 9
Re: Mick & Keith: What happened?
Posted by: Hansman ()
Date: September 27, 2016 09:55

HonkeyTonkFlash
She's The Boss contained competent pop-rock but it sorely missed the X-factor that happens when guys like Charlie Watts and Keith Richards are creating the grooves behind you; not to mention a bassist like Bill Wyman. That X-factor is a huge part of the Stones success. It's hard to find words to describe or define it but you know it when you hear it. On Mick's solo work, you didn't hear it.

Wandering Spirit is better than anything the Stones released between 1979 and 1989. Just my opinion of course.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 27, 2016 17:12

I can't stop thinking about that article...thanks for posting it Bliss.
What an incredibly well-written piece of rock journalism.

Keith's book turned the tide for me.
It made me angry and I question anyone that claims to have enjoyed it.

Couple that with the trumped up publicity over his latest solo release and I feel like the curtain has been lifted. The Wizard of Tongues has been exposed and all of it feels rather fake to me now.

Damnit.
Instead of ending their careers on a high and mighty note, now the Glimmers are looking rather Dusty. Keith should have known better and keep his trap shut.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-27 17:13 by Kurt.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 27, 2016 17:31

Kurt
I can't stop thinking about that article...thanks for posting it Bliss.
What an incredibly well-written piece of rock journalism.

Keith's book turned the tide for me.
It made me angry and I question anyone that claims to have enjoyed it.

Couple that with the trumped up publicity over his latest solo release and I feel like the curtain has been lifted. The Wizard of Tongues has been exposed and all of it feels rather fake to me now.

Damnit.
Instead of ending their careers on a high and mighty note, now the Glimmers are looking rather Dusty. Keith should have known better and keep his trap shut.
I largely agree, but what was trumped up about his album promotion?

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 27, 2016 17:46

..."trumped up" promotion probably wasn't the term I was looking for.

But the constant fawning over an album that was chock full of songs that had been languishing in the can for years seems a tad bit hypocritical. Especially with the high-praise coming from people that find it hip to now criticize 'Tattoo You' for the same approach. It was officially a new release. An album of songs. It just wasn't that great.

I'm sadly turned off by the guy now. It's no longer cool to worship an old, bitter cliched rock and roll 'pirate'. His image has out-grown reality.

In my not so humble opinion.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 27, 2016 17:59

I'm thinking about the Rich Cohen book to consider this in context.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 27, 2016 18:07

Kurt

But the constant fawning over an album that was chock full of songs that had been languishing in the can for years seems a tad bit hypocritical. Especially with the high-praise coming from people that find it hip to now criticize 'Tattoo You' for the same approach. It was officially a new release. An album of songs. It just wasn't that great.

I'm sadly turned off by the guy now. It's no longer cool to worship an old, bitter cliched rock and roll 'pirate'. His image has out-grown reality.

He's evolved from pirate into kindly, eccentric uncle. The Brits used to be mad for eccentrics and he's kind of a throwback to that.
I enjoyed his book, it was unintentionally revealing. Sort of like a share from somebody who comes into a recovery meeting and doesn't quite get it.
I don't know if I want a Mickey Mantle-like, 'Kids, don't do what I did' message in his final years. Maybe. Hope he's happy now, anyway.

Date: September 27, 2016 18:38

Kurt

I agree. My infatuation with Keith has dissipated over the last 10 years. Still love him, but I don't romanticize his life the way I used to.

People complain about Mick being overly cautious with his image, which makes me laugh. NO ONE is more acutely aware and plays up his manufactured image than Keith. At least Mick acts his age with some dignity when he's offstage.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 27, 2016 18:46

One thing that keeps getting mentioned in this thread is what a disaster Dirty Work was. While I don't cherish it the way regular poster HMS does, it is not without it's appeal. The guitar work is hot and nasty and it's loaded with pent-up angst and aggression. And as I often say, the Stones inferior work still pleases me so much more than a lot of other popular band's best work. I found it quite amusing to see on the "magazine articles" thread here on IORR a review that heaped no small amount of praise on it. With Mick's relative uninvolvement apart from laying down his vocals, I enjoying the heavy Keith influence on DW. It gives a tantalizing foretaste of what Keith would do on Talk Is Cheap. So, again - sub-par for the Stones but still some compelling rock and roll.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: September 27, 2016 18:56

Life REALLY turned me off to Keith, it was petty & self aggrandizing.

That said, Crosseyed Heart is excellent, no matter how long it took to come out.

Date: September 27, 2016 18:58

lem motlow
Bliss
Side note - on another board, a guy who has worked concert security for many years was asked about Mick and Keith. He had worked on the 50 and Counting tour. He mentioned that Mick's proclivity for under-25 year old girls was still alive and well, that they both 'powdered their noses,' and had nothing to do with each other backstage.

everybody who ever worked a hotdog stand at a stones show wants to sound important.the guy is full of shit,in this day and age there is no way mick or keith would let some low level security guard see them doing blow,even if they were.mick likes young women?,i'm speechless-this is gonna send shockwaves through stonesworld.

the guy in the article pretty much said what alot of us have been thinking for years.as much as i love keith,there isn't a rock and roll icon exception to the absolute destruction drug and alchohol addiction causes.
after taking every word keith said as gospel for years it dawned on me one day that he was no different from my old friends who had ruined their lives and that of their families and alienated those closest to them.
as i grew up one thing i noticed,somebody always has to pick up the slack.well, who picked up the slack for my main man?-that was the day i started looking at jagger in a completely different light.
i'm not trying to make one the good guy and one the bad guy because the lesson is we're all human and even our heroes sometimes take a fall.it just gave me a certain amount of sympathy for one of the old devils that wasn't there before, and it needs to be said.

The idea of that security guy being able to see Mick and Keith doing blow before a show just doesn't seem believable. Cocaine is powerful, nasty stuff. It takes a negative toll on people. I can't see Mick being such a health nut and compromising all that fitness stuff with cocaine. Especially not at such an advanced age. Younger guys can get away with it for awhile and the Stones obviously did...But today? Keith - well....Keith is Keith but allegedly he had to give it up after his head injury. Just saying...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 27, 2016 19:05

HonkeyTonkFlash
keefriff99
Goddamn...that's a great (and brutal) article.

That may, in fact be as close to the truth as we're ever gonna get.

Can you sing a single chorus from Dirty Work? Name a single track? We certainly don't play songs from those records in concert if we can help it.

THAT is spot on.

It's a bit silly, especially I literally wrote a song called "She's So Cold" and then, a few years later, one called "She Was Hot."

Date: September 27, 2016 20:07

GasLightStreet
HonkeyTonkFlash
keefriff99
Goddamn...that's a great (and brutal) article.

That may, in fact be as close to the truth as we're ever gonna get.

Can you sing a single chorus from Dirty Work? Name a single track? We certainly don't play songs from those records in concert if we can help it.

THAT is spot on.

It's a bit silly, especially I literally wrote a song called "She's So Cold" and then, a few years later, one called "She Was Hot."

Although as we know, they did some songs from DW on the Steel Wheels Tour and they went over pretty well...

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 27, 2016 20:59

keefriff99
People complain about Mick being overly cautious with his image, which makes me laugh. NO ONE is more acutely aware and plays up his manufactured image than Keith. At least Mick acts his age with some dignity when he's offstage.

i remember reading a book about zep that contained a bit about Jimmy Page taking a curling iron and getting the front of his hair so it would hang just perfectly over his eye.
his bandmates would make fun of him "is she reading to go on yet"

of course as fans we thought they just showed up looking like that not realizing the time with the eye shadow,wrapping the scarf just perfectly around your head etc..it's kinda funny when you think about it,the effort that goes into those images.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 27, 2016 21:28

keefriff99
Kurt

I agree. My infatuation with Keith has dissipated over the last 10 years. Still love him, but I don't romanticize his life the way I used to.

Yes, most men in their 70's still chase after young women and even father children with them! grinning smiley

They are who they are, flaws and all, and don't we love them for it? smiling smiley

Date: September 27, 2016 21:56

latebloomer
keefriff99
Kurt

Yes, most men in their 70's still chase after young women and even father children with them! grinning smiley

They are who they are, flaws and all, and don't we love them for it? smiling smiley
I knew someone would bring that up, but you know what I mean.

Date: September 27, 2016 22:01

keefriff99
latebloomer
keefriff99
Kurt

I knew someone would bring that up, but you know what I mean.

No, I honestly don't see how Mick is so much more dignified than Keith is at this point in their lives. But I knew someone would say that he was. cool smiley

Date: September 27, 2016 22:39

Kurt

After his book - and I did not read it because of what he said about Mick - I felt the same way about Keith. Just turned off by the guy. However I find it really hard not to like Keith. He has an endearing quality about him - maybe its his insecurities are evident? I was cheering loudly when I saw his set in Philly back in 2013. His voice was rough and he is a shell of himself but he so likeable.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 27, 2016 23:59

Not sure why I'm bothering, I've written this before, maybe you call me Polly-Anna,
I like to think I'm a positive, bright gal (most of the time. I try, anyway)

When I read 'Life' the passage about Mick's 'todger' (don't think I've disliked a word more. Word, not meaning ha ha)
It was in a story about
Anita Pallenberg
Anita the trouble maker
Anita had 'been with Mick' while filming 'Performance'
Keith was jealous
Anita comes back at Keith with 'baby you're the big man' references
That's how it read to me.
I can't psychoanalysis these guys any further without meeting them personally,
and if that actually happened,
I'd probably think I died and was in purgatory.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: September 28, 2016 02:06

So here's my chunk of pure speculation....

.Keith has said a lot of stuff over the years but I wonder if most of Keith's most unforgivable remarks were when he was in the bubble of book writing, reliving the events of his life, including real and imagined betrayals, recovering from his head injury, managing cocaine withdrawal and trying to get his medication right And it was not that long after he thought he was going to lose Patti too.

Didn't He say recently that it's only looking back he realised how off balance He was over a long period of time ?

If he felt he would never play properly again ( didn't he rip out his recording studio ? ) he might well have felt he had nothing to lose by letting rip at Mick ,particularly if Mick had made it clear he believed he had completely lost his chops and was no longer a viable band member.

Steve Jordan got keith back playing and perhaps to believing some sort of recovery was possible ( although 2012/13 was pretty wobbly ) but it has been extraordinary to see him fighting back since then.

Keith knows he is not the player he was but he does what he can with what he has and every now and then can still be magical. I think that and the support given when LWren died has possibly taken away some of the bitterness around the book. I wonder also if Mick understands a bit more what Keith went through too.

Date: September 28, 2016 02:39

I think you're onto something there, EJM. I too think they have reached some kind of rapprochement in their relationship. Time and events do have a way of healing old hurts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-28 02:45 by latebloomer.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 28, 2016 09:01

EJM

.Keith has said a lot of stuff over the years but I wonder if most of Keith's most unforgivable remarks were when he was in the bubble of book writing, reliving the events of his life, including real and imagined betrayals, recovering from his head injury, managing cocaine withdrawal and trying to get his medication right And it was not that long after he thought he was going to lose Patti too.

Didn't He say recently that it's only looking back he realised how off balance He was over a long period of time ?

/quote]

And you're only getting one side. Does anyone doubt that Keith could be quite a handful at times? He doesn't exactly lay his faults bare in 'Life' does he? Neither does Bill in his two books. Wouldn't you love to have Brian's opinion of each of them?

Date: September 28, 2016 15:26

24FPS
EJM

/quote]

And you're only getting one side. Does anyone doubt that Keith could be quite a handful at times? He doesn't exactly lay his faults bare in 'Life' does he? Neither does Bill in his two books. Wouldn't you love to have Brian's opinion of each of them?
Actually, NO ONE can doubt that fact because there's abundant, irrefutable proof that Keith was, and is, "quite a handful."

Date: September 28, 2016 17:22

latebloomer
I think you're onto something there, EJM. I too think they have reached some kind of rapprochement in their relationship. Time and events do have a way of healing old hurts.

Date: September 28, 2016 20:49

Quote:
Actually, NO ONE can doubt that fact because there's abundant, irrefutable proof that Keith was, and is, "quite a handful."
Ha Ha pretty funny Keefriff99
Yeah, people putting down large quanties of daily hard liquor are indeed
difficult to be close to/ have a relation.
Maybe Mick wanted his old pal to take better care of himself.

Date: September 28, 2016 23:35

35love
Quote:
There was an anecdote in a Rolling Stone article that came out for the B2B tour back in 1997 about Keith...don't recall the exact details, but someone had died in Keith's (or Patti's) family, and he asked Ronnie stay with him, and Ronnie left at some point, and when Ronnie returned, the room was dark, and Keith lunged at him, made a gurgling noise and grabbed him by the throat. Keith was asked about the incident and he said something like, "I made a mistake..."

I mean, that's dark, scary stuff, and this was when he was in his 50s.

Date: September 29, 2016 03:21

keefriff99
35love
Quote:
There was an anecdote in a Rolling Stone article that came out for the B2B tour back in 1997 about Keith...don't recall the exact details, but someone had died in Keith's (or Patti's) family, and he asked Ronnie stay with him, and Ronnie left at some point, and when Ronnie returned, the room was dark, and Keith lunged at him, made a gurgling noise and grabbed him by the throat. Keith was asked about the incident and he said something like, "I made a mistake..."

*Ah, it's not that scary, because just from what I see/ sense/ long history to judge, Keith Richards is not a violent man.
Same for Brad Pitt ;-)
Hey, as a human on the planet Earth,
we all lose our cool ONCE IN AWHILE.
And the reason it stays a rare occurrence,
I'd guess, is the quick recognition, remorse, apology, sincerity of awareness of others.

Date: September 29, 2016 15:10

35love
keefriff99
35love
Quote:

*Ah, it's not that scary, because just from what I see/ sense/ long history to judge, Keith Richards is not a violent man.
Same for Brad Pitt ;-)
I'd guess, is the quick recognition, remorse, apology, sincerity of awareness of others.
If I remember the article correctly, Keith was strangling Ronnie before he finally let him go. That's not normal "I just lost my cool" behavior in my book.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 29, 2016 15:55

keefriff99
35love
keefriff99
35love
Quote:

Same for Brad Pitt ;-)
If I remember the article correctly, Keith was strangling Ronnie before he finally let him go. That's not normal "I just lost my cool" behavior in my book.

Posted by exilestones in his magazine thread. [iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 29, 2016 16:28

Re: the Keith attacking Ronnie story.
Like a lot of Keith stories, I used to think it said one thing, but now being a little older I see it in a different light.
When I was younger I saw a bad ass with a cool knife.
Now I see a man who was afraid to be by himself and either couldn't handle doing something difficult like going to be with his wife at a difficult time (or was trapped inside the Stones schedule and couldn't get away.) At the same time he was out of his head with various chemicals. Straight people don't attack each other. But finally, people put up with it because there must be good things about being his friend.

Date: September 29, 2016 16:44

wonderboy
Re: the Keith attacking Ronnie story.
Like a lot of Keith stories, I used to think it said one thing, but now being a little older I see it in a different light.
When I was younger I saw a bad ass with a cool knife.
Now I see a man who was afraid to be by himself and either couldn't handle doing something difficult like going to be with his wife at a difficult time (or was trapped inside the Stones schedule and couldn't get away.) At the same time he was out of his head with various chemicals. Straight people don't attack each other. But finally, people put up with it because there must be good things about being his friend.
Indeed. Looks like my recollection was pretty spot-on based on Deltic's repost of the article above. The details always stuck with me over the years because I'd found it rather disturbing, and this was back when I was a Keith fanboy.

I'm certainly not saying he's a bad guy, but I'd be slightly on edge being around someone so unpredictable and unstable.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 7 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1686
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home