Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
Mick TAYLOR with the STONES in 1981
Posted by: keith56 ()
Date: June 14, 2010 17:16

Hi everybody

I know that Mick Taylor play with the STONES on USA tou 1981 .

What it is this show, and where could i find this recording
Thanks for your help

Re: Mick TAYLOR with the STONES in 1981
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 14, 2010 17:23

" It's Ok... I'm With the Band. (Original Master Series :: OMS 045/046/047/048)
Kemper Arena, Kansas City, MS, USA - December 14 and 15, 1981.

Another notable performance during the tour was the 14 December performance at Kansas City's Kemper Arena. Previous Stones lead guitarist Mick Taylor joined the band for a large part of the performance.[10] Ronnie Wood was not happy with the Taylor's appearance, however: "[He was] bulldozing through parts of songs that should have been subtle, ignoring breaks and taking uninvited solos." (wikipedia.org).

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-14 17:26 by SwayStones.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: June 14, 2010 17:33

Another notable performance during the tour was the 14 December performance at Kansas City's Kemper Arena. Previous Stones lead guitarist Mick Taylor joined the band for a large part of the performance.[10] Ronnie Wood was not happy with the Taylor's appearance, however: "[He was] bulldozing through parts of songs that should have been subtle, ignoring breaks and taking uninvited solos." (wikipedia.org).

subtle? and ronnie was the musical director i presume

Posted by: behroez ()
Date: June 14, 2010 17:37

Did Taylor play on songs he didn't originally play on (post 74 songs)? Is there any of these recordings to be found on Tube?

Posted by: keith56 ()
Date: June 14, 2010 17:45

Many thanks SWAY for your answersmileys with beer

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 14, 2010 17:46

behroez
Did Taylor play on songs he didn't originally play on (post 74 songs)? Is there any of these recordings to be found on Tube?

As for your first question: yes. As for your second one: I would have to search on YT too. But most important is the fact that Taylor's guitar is hardly audible on the bootlegs of that show. Wood must have had great problems with Taylor's presence: really threatening for him.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: June 14, 2010 17:55

It was Keith who was going mad with Taylor`s performance not Woody. This is a well known fact.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 14, 2010 18:04

kleermaker
behroez

As for your first question: yes. As for your second one: I would have to search on YT too. But most important is the fact that Taylor's guitar is hardly audible on the bootlegs of that show.

That's a pity, would be really interesting to hear Mick playing on post 74 stuff.

Date: June 14, 2010 18:07

I have the one I mentioned above but there is also :

From Dec.the 14th :

"Mick Taylor ,We love you & We'll always Do" Empress Valley EVSD 210/211
"MIck Taylor, We want you" PGN 021

Date: June 14, 2010 18:07

behroez

He is audible on, especially, Time Is On My Side, Imagination and Black Limousine among the numbers he didn't play on originally. He does some cool things in there, but not enough to make the Taylorites use this gig as an example of how much better the Stones is with him on board (sorry, couldn't resist it winking smiley )

Date: June 14, 2010 18:10

Dec the 15th :

"Kansas City with M.T " /Hot Lips Records HLR-RS 014/15
"Well....Comeback my Sweetheart/ Shaved Music TSD 004/005
" Together at Last /Unbilievable Music UM 019/20
" Did we Meet before " VGP 129

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: June 14, 2010 18:13

I have "Mick Taylor, we love (miss?) you" (Empress Valley)

Date: June 14, 2010 18:16

The appearance at Kemper Arena is the only Stones live performance in which Mick Taylor and Ronnie Wood have ever played together on the same stage with the Stones ,isn't it ?

Date: June 14, 2010 18:19

SwayStones
Dec the 15th :

also
guitar onslaught- dog n cat
are they all the same recording?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 14, 2010 18:22

keith's purported claims about mt's playing aren't borne out by the extant recordings (aud or sbd)....

Date: June 14, 2010 18:23

keith56,check this link :
You have the complete list (I forgot some in mine )winking smiley

[www.iorr.org]

vancouver
Come Back My Sweetheart - Kansas City, MO 12/15/81 2cdr of The Shaved Disc Reference :TSD 004 EXCELLENT SOUNDBOARD!!.

With Special guest Mick Taylor on guitar (from Let Me Go onwards). Soundboard recording was made.[Ron Wood] "On the '81 tour in Kansas City, we heard that Mick Taylor was in town we invited him up on stage for a few numbers. Perhaps the reunion over excited him." (maybe Taylor's as prone to over-excitement as some of his fans are)." He seemed to refuse to realize how much the band had changed since his departure. He shocked us with how loud he was blasting it. Bulldozing through parts of songs that should have been subtle, ignoring the breaks and taking uninvited solos. And the volume! I thought me and Keith play loud, but he was easily three times louder than us. I was standing next to him, passing along messages from Keith who would say, 'Tell that @#$%& to turn it down!' I was a little more diplomatic: 'Um, Mick, the song is finished' or 'It's in E, not F.' Afterwards, Keith told me, 'It's a good thing you were standing in between us or I'd have flattened him.' But he's a lovely man and it was great to see him."

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 14, 2010 18:27

straycatblues73

subtle? and ronnie was the musical director i presume

That's what the Stones needed, a bulldozer!Not a puppet on a srtring.winking smiley

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 14, 2010 18:29

It sounds to me like there are three guitars playing on Black Limousine, and Jagger
says "thank you Mick" at the end of the song.
The story goes that Taylor stayed on stage after Black Limousine, but I can not tell
I hear him playing on songs like Just my Imagination or Going to a gogo.

Before Let me go Mick says: let me introduce you to our special guest this evening: Mick Taylor.
On the recording I have, one can hear Stu on piano better than Taylor on guitar during
Let me go. Which is a pleasure I'd like to add. Stu is on fire here. And it's definitely
Keith who kicks off the guitar solo.

Then there is a lot of guitars to be heard during Let it bleed, but it could be because
Jagger is playing one. Mick says "Guitar onslaught" before You can't always get
what you want begins. Don't know what that's supposed to mean.

Date: June 14, 2010 18:39

marcovandereijk
Mick says "Guitar onslaught" before You can't always get

Wasn't it a joke about "Making your guitar laugh" ' solo technique ?

Date: June 14, 2010 19:38

SwayStones
marcovandereijk
Mick says "Guitar onslaught" before You can't always get

Wasn't it a joke about "Making your guitar laugh" ' solo technique ?

onslaught meaning= attack

Date: June 14, 2010 20:05

marcovandereijk
It sounds to me like there are three guitars playing on Black Limousine, and Jagger
says "thank you Mick" at the end of the song.
The story goes that Taylor stayed on stage after Black Limousine, but I can not tell
I hear him playing on songs like Just my Imagination or Going to a gogo.

Before Let me go Mick says: let me introduce you to our special guest this evening: Mick Taylor.
On the recording I have, one can hear Stu on piano better than Taylor on guitar during
Let me go. Which is a pleasure I'd like to add. Stu is on fire here. And it's definitely
Keith who kicks off the guitar solo.

Then there is a lot of guitars to be heard during Let it bleed, but it could be because
Jagger is playing one. Mick says "Guitar onslaught" before You can't always get

Towards the ending of Imagination, Taylor is weaving with... Ronnie. Very audible, and good too smiling smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 14, 2010 20:09

behroez

A more detailed answer (source: Nico Zentgraf, The Complet Works of The Rolling Stones 1962 -2010:

[www.nzentgraf.de])

14th December: Kansas City, Missouri, Kemper Arena
(Under My Thumb/When The Whip Comes Down/Let’s Spend The Night
Together/Shattered/Neighbours/Black Limousine/Just My Imagination/
Twenty Flight Rock/Going To A Go Go/Let Me Go/Time Is On My Side/
Beast Of Burden/Waiting On A Friend/Let It Bleed/You Can’t Always Get
What You Want/Band introduction/Little T & A/Tumbling Dice/She’s So
Cold/Hang Fire/Miss You/Honky Tonk Women/Brown Sugar/Start Me Up/
Jumping Jack Flash/Satisfaction)

Note: With special guest Mick Taylor on guitar. Probably from Black Limousine
up to You Can't Always Get What You Want and also on Satisfaction

(unsure). Soundboard recording was made.

I'll give it a listen and will report it, so Dandelion P, stay tunedwinking smiley.

PS: My bootlegs from this show:

1. It's OK I'm With The Band

(Notes: Another notable performance during the tour was the 14 December performance at Kansas City's Kemper Arena. Previous Stones lead guitarist Mick Taylor joined the band for a large part of the performance.[10] Ronnie Wood was not happy with the Taylor's appearance, however: "[He was] bulldozing through parts of songs that should have been subtle, ignoring breaks and taking uninvited solos."[6].<-(Info taken from wikipedia.org; note kleermaker: don't believe everything wikipedia and Ron Wood say).

2. Crossfire Hurricane (also Dec. 14, 1981; Soundboard)

3. Guitar Onslaught (DAC 005) (also Dec. 14, 1981; Soundboard)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-17 01:45 by kleermaker.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 14, 2010 20:13

you can hear him on the sbd during neighbours if you listen very very carefully. don't try this at home....

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 14, 2010 20:20

straycatblues73
SwayStones
Dec the 15th :

also
guitar onslaught- dog n cat
are they all the same recording?

The bootlegs listed by SwayStones are combinations of Dec 14th and 15th (in audience quality). Only the "middle part" comes from Dec 14th. (Let Me Go through Little T&A)....rest is Dec 15th.

"Guitar Onslaught" features the whole Dec 14th show (in SBD quality)

Date: June 14, 2010 20:54

<I'll give it a listen and will report it, so Dandelion P, stay tuned.>

Enjoy it again! It's a good show. I've listened to it, probably round 50 times. A legend smiling smiley

Only bad thing is that the recording isn't in stereo, so the guitars would be panned.

Posted by: Local27 ()
Date: June 14, 2010 21:06

Here's the only pics I have of Taylor joining the Stones in Kansas City...1981.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 14, 2010 21:23

Anyone know what amp he used?

Mick looks out of place in amongst that circus of balloons and awful clothes. grinning smiley

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 14, 2010 21:26

More pics here:

[www.google.dk]

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: June 14, 2010 21:31

For a while, the consensus was that he played on Black Limo through YCAGWYW and then, after the first picture above surfaced, Satisfaction.

His guitar is audible during HTW. He's playing slide.

This topic has been covered many times before, including who invited him, whether he was plugged into the sbd, etc. Those threads have additional pix, including Taylor playing an Epiphone (Crestwood, I think).

I never noticed before that he has two Les Pauls. The color picture above resembles the guitar he used on the '73 tour and with Alvin Lee. The B&W seems to be the '72 tour LP though I think there were other LPs used on each of those tours.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: June 14, 2010 22:11

I was there and I can swear that he came on for LSTNT and didn't leave for the entire show

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2469
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home