Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 26
Re: "The Rolling Stones in Mono" - September 30 2016.
Posted by: mickboy ()
Date: October 14, 2016 16:30

Vinyl Box update.
It seems like this morning Amazon Germany is out of the vinyl box.
Amazon France is taking pre orders for October 21 release.
Amazon Italy has stock.
Amazon USA has stock.
Amazon Canada is taking pre orders for a November 4th release.
SoundStage Direct is sold out of their current allotment and expecting more in about two weeks or so.
So it looks like it's selling fairly well. Amazon France has it for the lowest current price of USD $295 delivered.
So I ordered another Vinyl set. If Abkco follows the '1964-1969' vinyl box set as a model, this would be capped at 10,000 units and go out of print in a couple of years time.
Mickboy, hunkering down in Seattle for hurricane like wind storms.

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: October 14, 2016 16:38

This box is just another cash in. 150 Euros for 14 old cds I already have + some thrown in b-side cd is ridiculous.

Let's release something actually worth buying, like 15 cds unreleased concerts 1964-1967...

Date: October 14, 2016 16:41

RaiseTheKnife
This box is just another cash in. 150 Euros for 14 old cds I already have + some thrown in b-side cd is ridiculous.

Let's release something actually worth buying, like 15 cds unreleased concerts 1964-1967...

Well collected! thumbs up

I was thrilled, finally getting Aftermath and Their Satanic Majesties Request the way they were meant to be listened to + all the other mono-versions of songs I didn't have.

One man's garbage is another man's treasure, obviously smiling smiley

The 7" vinyl-single of the organ version of Time Is On My Side was nice to get as well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-14 16:43 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 14, 2016 16:59

One other thing we need to try and address-is the Beggars album in the 'Stray Cats' lp. I believe there has been 3 instances now where the owners did NOT get disc 2 of the LP set, they got disc one and instead of disc two they got another Beggars Banquet. I haven't opened mine yet but I'm sure as hell not sending the whole box back for this.
So if anybody hears anything about a replacement contact let's get that information out here on the thread to help others who might need a replacement.
mickboy

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 14, 2016 17:11

The bottom of my CD box also says made in Czech on the bottom, but all discs, sleeves and booklet says made in EU. Let It Bleed CD has 4 Universal logos and Arvato on the back. The matrix is long, 56362363/00001877170042521. Also the sleeves have slight glue issues near the spine, on all backsides, except the 3 gatefolds. Overall I'm about halfway impressed with the production. The music however sounds fine. Even though most of it is already available elsewhere. I'm happy to have the missing links. Hope the information helps out someone. Cheers.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 14, 2016 17:16

frankotero
The bottom of my CD box also says made in Czech on the bottom, but all discs, sleeves and booklet says made in EU. Let It Bleed CD has 4 Universal logos and Arvato on the back. The matrix is long, 56362363/00001877170042521. Also the sleeves have slight glue issues near the spine, on all backsides, except the 3 gatefolds. Overall I'm about halfway impressed with the production. The music however sounds fine. Even though most of it is already available elsewhere. I'm happy to have the missing links. Hope the information helps out someone. Cheers.

Thank you! This is Arvato pressing. The company has headquarters in Germany, although facilities are all around the world.

Gluing issues are for a couple of the sleeves in my case too. It seems that they were really in hurry and did not pay enough attention to the quality control.

PS. I wonder if that Czech Republic note is just a carryover from LP set. LP's were pressed by GZ media in the Czech Republic for sure.

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: October 14, 2016 18:09

I for one am very happy with the box (I bought the CDs). I had rarely listened to anything before Satanic before, as the sound on the stereo-cds that I owned (have sold them all last year) has been unbearable and unlistenable, at least in my opinion.

And now I have to all, together in one box, in (mostly) fantastic mono sound. Very powerful and a joy to listen to. My ears don't get tired from it, if you know what I mean.

And then thers "Satanic", which sound absolutely great, albeit different, in mono. And on "Stray Cats" there's a lot of tracks that sound better than ever before on CD. And of course "Aftermath", which might even sound better on CD than on vinyl, due to the album's lenght.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: October 14, 2016 18:37

RaiseTheKnife

If you have officially released mono mixes on cd of Aftermath, Buttons and Satanic, you must be extremely lucky and the only one on earth, since those were never released digitally until now!

Get a life, instead of complaining what you don't know anything about in the first place!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 14, 2016 23:24

mickboy
Vinyl Box update.
It seems like this morning Amazon Germany is out of the vinyl box.
Amazon France is taking pre orders for October 21 release.
Amazon Italy has stock.
Amazon USA has stock.
Amazon Canada is taking pre orders for a November 4th release.
SoundStage Direct is sold out of their current allotment and expecting more in about two weeks or so.
So it looks like it's selling fairly well. Amazon France has it for the lowest current price of USD $295 delivered.
So I ordered another Vinyl set. If Abkco follows the '1964-1969' vinyl box set as a model, this would be capped at 10,000 units and go out of print in a couple of years time.
Mickboy, hunkering down in Seattle for hurricane like wind storms.

I think I got it at the best price a few weeks ago from amazon.es courtesy of a post on this thread...delivered to Canada, 260 euros.

I have an order from amazon.ca that I'll probably cancel for $480, although I note it's selling for close to $700 there including tax, although delivery is free.

I picked up 2 of the 1963-69 boxes online when they first came out, a play copy and a sealed copy both for around C$160 ...I also noticed the price jumps and bought a third copy in a store a few years later for $270 when online were selling for over $1000. You see them now for $1300-2500...it's crazy.

I don't get why they moved up in price so quickly!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 14, 2016 23:40

treaclefingers

... courtesy of a post on this thread...delivered to Canada ...

Apropos Canada .... [iorr.org] .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-23 14:05 by Irix.

Date: October 15, 2016 00:59

Well it took a couple of years for that box to sell out,and it seems that they didn't repress it, so it would make sense that over time they would go up. Many people on the Hoffman site complained about the duplication with the 5 mono lps in that box, but forget that that box has been out of print for years now. Now if you have both boxes their is a lot of duplication, but haven't we all done that by owning like 7 copies of Exile or Sticky Fingers...got like 9 of those.....lol.
But it goes with the territory when your a collector for the Stones, or the Who, or the Beatles..........but I like it like it yes I do.
And if this goes out of print then down the line I can turn on a fellow collector on to it. Heck I did buy 3 Beatles Stereo Vinyl boxes....

Mickboy

Date: October 15, 2016 05:28

Ok......so I opened my Vinyl box an hour ago and right off the bat the thick plastic sleeves got my attention. Then,I opened up 'StrayCats' to check for the proper discs,and they are fine, I saw that the vinyl is DMM! Just like the first Abkco vinyl box! Awesome!!!!! Those who are dissin this box......well just sell it and be done with it. I will state right here that this DOES Stand along the 2010 Abkco box as an Audiophile Vinyl release of the Stones early period. I couldn'tbe more pleased!

Mickboy

Date: October 15, 2016 06:59

mickboy
Ok......so I opened my Vinyl box an hour ago and right off the bat the thick plastic sleeves got my attention. Then,I opened up 'StrayCats' to check for the proper discs,and they are fine, I saw that the vinyl is DMM! Just like the first Abkco vinyl box! Awesome!!!!! Those who are dissin this box......well just sell it and be done with it. I will state right here that this DOES Stand along the 2010 Abkco box as an Audiophile Vinyl release of the Stones early period. I couldn'tbe more pleased!

Mickboy

nice! thanks for the feedback. btw, i have 2 beatles stereo boxes...and only one mono. had to time it when there was a price dip last christmas, C$229 if memory serves.

I sure hope my kids like the stones and the beatles when they grow up

Date: October 15, 2016 07:14

Irix
treaclefingers

... courtesy of a post on this thread...delivered to Canada ...

Apropos Canada - we could need some help: [iorr.org] ....

cool! thanks for showing me that...i actually have it on my crave tv...1 hr 40 min...is that the whole show?

I'll prolly watch it tomorrow night!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 15, 2016 09:15

treaclefingers

1 hr 40 min...is that the whole show?

It's the Documentary, 1h45mins: [www.imdb.com] , [www.rollingstones.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-23 14:00 by Irix.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: October 15, 2016 16:25

Anyone done a comparison between the new release and the mono recordings on the SACDs?

Date: October 15, 2016 17:00

DrPete
Anyone done a comparison between the new release and the mono recordings on the SACDs?

you mean the first 3 albums...i'm sure kowalski has probably looked at this already.

Date: October 15, 2016 17:01

DrPete
Yes. lukpac here and on Steve Hoffman's forum

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 15, 2016 17:11

Just sprung for the cd box. Just can't justify the vinyl purchase... In AUD over $500. Even the cd at $250 is a bit high, but what the hell... It was THAT or nothing.

Rod

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 15, 2016 17:17

Glyn Johns talks about recording the Stones in mono.
[www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: October 15, 2016 22:39

treaclefingers
mickboy

Mickboy

nice! thanks for the feedback. btw, i have 2 beatles stereo boxes...and only one mono. had to time it when there was a price dip last christmas, C$229 if memory serves.

I sure hope my kids like the stones and the beatles when they grow up

Lorl! So,i'm glad i'm not the only one:-)
I did score my third Beatles stereo vinyl box from Amazon.ca a year after it was released. My first two were US editions but that third one was an EU edition!
The best part was that I happened to be on the Canadian site when they had a lightning sale on it...,.. for $199 Cdn,which turned out to be $190Usd!
But with Vinyl being just crazy price wise right now, i'll get another one of this Stones mono for under $300, which for 16 lpl's is stilla good deal.
And remember that this gz box is a Direct MetalMaster pressing,which I find sound incredibly wonderful,just like the 2010 Abkco box.,
Mickboy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-15 22:46 by mickboy.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: October 17, 2016 11:54

treaclefingers
DrPete

you mean the first 3 albums...i'm sure kowalski has probably looked at this already.

I haven't looked at it properly, but I gave a listen to the mono box on Qobuz streaming service and I've found they sound about the same with possibly a bit louder sound level on the new mono releases.

You might find a more elaborate answer on Steve Hoffman forums.

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: October 17, 2016 16:12

Thanks to the mostly very positive reviews on here (thanks everyone) I've just ordered the CD box. One of those birthday presents I buy for someone to give me..."oh thanks, what a surprise, just what I've always wanted!"

Couldn't really justify the vinyl box and decided it would be more fun to fill the gaps in my vinyl collection by poking around at secondhand shops and market stalls. The thrill of the chase and all that.

Date: October 24, 2016 05:06

Why is this thread dead??????
We have a brand new box of vinyl remastered in mono and there is no excitement here for it.......

Unreal.

Mickey

Date: October 24, 2016 12:57

mickboy
We have a brand new box of vinyl remastered in mono and there is no excitement here for it.......

Unreal.

Mickey

Might be that lots of fans haven't bought it yet?

Personally, I love it. It's fantastic! thumbs up

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 24, 2016 13:43

WOW, it's the first time I have ever heard the mono We love You and Child of the Moon. Staggering.

We love You, without those panning pianos in the intro, is so thick, lovely and dense. OMG. And Child, likewise, such a stunning piece of guitar-orchestration. These two tracks, long favorites of mine, together with Who's Driving your Plane?, Another "find" for me in mono, make the CD box worth it, price wise. Vinyl now beckons...

Rod

Date: October 24, 2016 13:44

mickboy

Unreal.

Mickey
Well, not all can afford the vinyl box. And some do not buy vinyls winking smiley
Also this box was discussed to death on the other forum (http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/rolling-stones-in-mono-2016-content-discussion-only-mixes-tracks-etc.576288/). There are some 120 pages and counting.

My impression on CD box.
1. The EU box is more or less OK in terms of package. Although the sticky part on the outer plastic sleeve is a bit boring.
2. Those 5" LP-replica covers are shame. There is no way to read anything w/o a lens. Japanese 7" version is much better, however it was almost 200 Euros more. (For a record I do not like CDs to be packed in LP-replica sleeves at all).
3. Some extras are missing for EU 5" package (like inner sleeves for TSMR and LIcool smiley, not every detail is faithfully replicated. But for regular (not hardcore fan) it is OK.
4. Booklet... Well, mostly it is blah-blah-blah.
5. All albums sound very good, although they are remasters. Highlights are No.2 (trough away your Japanese P33L, P25L and POCD CDs for this one), Aftermath, BtB, TSMR. Those are absolutely fascinating mono mixes. Can't say that new versions of those mono tracks we already have since 2002 are dramatic improvement. Stray Cats is a patchy one, there is no continuity in music because lots of 65-66 key tracks are missing (I still prefer Singles Collection for odds and sods). Also, it is hard to compare stereo and mono mixes as it is completely different listening experience.
6. I do not want to get into early fades, wrong tapes, remixes etc. There are quite a few of strange decisions. Lukpac report details on Hoffman's forum so the completists could check.
Conclusions - it is a good piece. However, it could be better. Am I jumping out of my trousers? No.

Mind, we got only 38 (or 37 if you subtract mono version of Going Home that was on soundtrack for Charlie Is My Darling) unique mono mixes.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 24, 2016 13:50

I cut the flaps off the plastic outer sleeves. A lot easier to handle. Hope this is a good tip. Cheers.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 24, 2016 15:02

I've just got round to opening the CD box and drove in to work this morning with Out Of Our Heads blasting on the car stereo - if this is a fair sample, the mono certainly packs a punch!

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: October 24, 2016 15:51

frankotero
I cut the flaps off the plastic outer sleeves. A lot easier to handle. Hope this is a good tip. Cheers.

Best advice I ever seen.
I totally agree with you.smiling smiley

And inner sleeves are also terrible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-25 02:49 by Toru A.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2029
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home