Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 26
Re: "The Rolling Stones in Mono" - September 30 2016.
Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 16, 2016 16:53

I have EU CD box (from amazon uk). There was nothing that looks like certificate or download card. I checked everything when I rip that thing to flac and scan everything. Unless there is a kind of fine print somewhere, that I am doubt.

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: November 16, 2016 17:20

ironbelly
I have EU CD box (from amazon uk). There was nothing that looks like certificate or download card. I checked everything when I rip that thing to flac and scan everything. Unless there is a kind of fine print somewhere, that I am doubt.

Amazon UK gave me MP3 rips (not FLAC) which could be downloaded from my Amazon account ("Autorip" ) as soon as I placed my order for the CDs. I guess that would apply for the vinyls as well.

Obviously this doesn't apply if you ordered from an Amazon trader rather than Amazon itself.

But like you I've ripped everything to FLAC anyway.

Date: November 16, 2016 17:26

There is no need for downloading mp3s, as the mono box is available on Spotify.

Date: November 16, 2016 17:33

DandelionPowderman
There is no need for downloading mp3s, as the mono box is available on Spotify.

Spotify is great but I currently have no way of playing it in my car. My MP3s go onto a USB stick and get played in the car - so they still have a use. FLACs are for playing at home through the proper hifi.

Date: November 16, 2016 18:03

JumpinJimF
ironbelly

Amazon UK gave me MP3 rips (not FLAC) which could be downloaded from my Amazon account ("Autorip" ) as soon as I placed my order for the CDs. I guess that would apply for the vinyls as well.

Obviously this doesn't apply if you ordered from an Amazon trader rather than Amazon itself.

I have to check my mailbox carefully. But I do not remember anything like code. Maybe it is due to the fact I am not from U.K.

Date: November 16, 2016 19:32

ironbelly
JumpinJimF
ironbelly

I have to check my mailbox carefully. But I do not remember anything like code. Maybe it is due to the fact I am not from U.K.

There is no code. If the album was described as "Autorip" when you bought it then you should get the downloads.

If you log in to your Amazon account ("Your Account" ) and go to the "Digital Content" section (half way down the page) and then click on "Manage Your Content and Devices" you will get to a page where you can choose "Music" from a drop-down button on the top left-hand side. You then get a music page.

If the album is there then you can click on the icon and then on the button with three dots on it to choose "Download".

Date: November 16, 2016 22:21

JumpinJimF
ironbelly
JumpinJimF
ironbelly

There is no code. If the album was described as "Autorip" when you bought it then you should get the downloads.

If you log in to your Amazon account ("Your Account" ) and go to the "Digital Content" section (half way down the page) and then click on "Manage Your Content and Devices" you will get to a page where you can choose "Music" from a drop-down button on the top left-hand side. You then get a music page.

If the album is there then you can click on the icon and then on the button with three dots on it to choose "Download".
I was there. It constantly and repeatedly ask me to provide my credit card number and after that said that the session is expired and asks me to sign-up once again. And asks me about credit card again - session expired- sign up. That is a closed circle

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 17, 2016 03:40

kowalski

I think what Acoustic Sounds is offering are the actual ABKCO original masters.

I had recently asked Highresaudio.com if they could sell the DSD-version (because they sell DSD). They replied me that the DSD-version is not available in Europe and it would also be a PCM-to-DSD conversion only. Highresaudio.com won't even sell the 96kHz/24bit version due to the lack of customer demand: "Only a few customers want Mono recordings".

In the german HiFi-Magazine AUDIO there's in the issue 12/2016 (p. 140-141) a review of the Mono Box set and the editor gave only 1.5 to 2.5 stars (out of 5 possible stars) for the sonic quality. The same editor however gave 4 out of 5 stars for the sonic quality of the 2015 Japanese Platinum-SHM-CD of the Steel Wheels album (AUDIO 6/2016, p. 140).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-17 14:20 by Irix.

Date: November 17, 2016 14:15

On [www.Qobuz.com] - HighRes-version 192kHz/24bit - EUR 118.99 / GBP 110.93 .

Qobuz is available in France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, BeNeLux, Spain, UK, Ireland.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 18, 2016 02:06

Ok, I have been digging into the vinyl box set. Some fantastic sounding stuff. A few minor pops on what is one of my favorites, Let it Bleed, You Got the Silver, but not enough to make me send it back. All in all I am amazed how good the mix. Warm and full of bass. Not that thin sound that plagued so much of their early material.

Some things that are none the less highly irritating. Almost all the inner sleeves have a wear tear where the vinyl has split the sleeves on the side. All of them!

The album outer sleeve protectors are such a faulty design with the sticky adheasive on the flap meaning that it sticks to the albums as you try to put them back into the protector sleeve. A assinine design!

No poster with Let it Bleed. A wasted opportunity for replicating the albums exactly as they were released.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 18, 2016 02:08

Almost all the inner sleeves have a wear tear where the vinyl has split the sleeves on the side. All of them!

oooooooowwww that's bad ... real bad

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 21, 2016 15:10

Glyn Johns.............

[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 21, 2016 15:33

Price drop on EU CD box. Not much, but good offer, comparing to other sites
[www.amazon.it]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 29, 2016 00:04

price drop, amazon.ca $300 canadian for the vinyl box. Exceptional price, given the alternatives!

[www.amazon.ca]

they are currently out of stock but you can still order...allowing you time to figure out how to pay for it!

Date: November 29, 2016 00:15

just listened to SFTD and now She's A Rainbow ripped to my computer from the CD box. Just gorgeous.

Date: November 29, 2016 01:10

treaclefingers
just listened to SFTD and now She's A Rainbow ripped to my computer from the CD box. Just gorgeous.

thumbs up thumbs upthumbs upto this.

Listened to the whole of Satanic in one go this evening. Yes, with this version even that is possible...

My current fave from this set is OOOH (UK) though. Songs I'd thought of as middling good now sound great.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: November 29, 2016 09:25

I agree that Satanic sounds very good.
I'm hearing new things, but perhaps that is because I never paid too much attention to this album anyway.

Also, the more I listen to "2000 Man", the more it sounds like "Death of a Clown" by The Kinks. Definetly the same melody at the beginning. (And both songs were recorded during the summer in 1967 with Nicky Hopkins on piano.)

Date: November 29, 2016 17:02

The Worst.
I agree that Satanic sounds very good.
I'm hearing new things, but perhaps that is because I never paid too much attention to this album anyway.

Also, the more I listen to "2000 Man", the more it sounds like "Death of a Clown" by The Kinks. Definetly the same melody at the beginning. (And both songs were recorded during the summer in 1967 with Nicky Hopkins on piano.)

nice catch!

THE ROLLING STONES IN MONO: THE ULTIMATE REVIEW
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: December 1, 2016 18:47

Re: THE ROLLING STONES IN MONO: THE ULTIMATE REVIEW
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 1, 2016 19:48

Fanks exile ...

ROCKMAN

Date: December 1, 2016 19:50

Thanks for the link. thumbs up

"Once the master tapes were used to transfer the music, that music was then converted to DSD 2.8MHz for mastering. Why not PCM? 'DSD most closely mirrors analogue in the digital world' said Landi. 'We really wanted to master in DSD, 24bit/192kHz just wasn’t close enough.'

'DSD has come a long way in terms of tools' said Landi. 'Bob [Ludwig] uses the Pyramix system that accommodates DSD and PCM. That has sophisticated editing tools in there. This is true DSD, incidentally, there is no inter-PCM conversion involved here.'

I still question myself why Highresaudio.com (Berlin, Germany) doesn't sell the DSD-version -- they even don't sell the HiRes-PCM-version .... confused smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-29 14:20 by Irix.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: December 1, 2016 20:30

"...Arriving with a 48-page book, mastered by the Queen discography box set supremo, Bob Ludwig at Gateway Mastering and cut at Abbey Road studios, the Stones box set is limited to 1,000 copies world-wide..."

confused smiley

HMN

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: December 1, 2016 20:43

Interesting read - thanks! A bit 'techy' but those that are into that I think will really enjoy it. I've been looking at grabbing this box set (on CD) quite a bit recently - looks like I need to make the jump.

Date: December 1, 2016 22:20

Honestman

"... the Stones box set is limited to 1,000 copies world-wide..."

Universal Music says "Limited" as well:

UM Germany: [www.universal-music.de]

UM Japan: [translate.google.com]

Perhaps Universal Music has intended 1,000 copies for the first batch -- and a further batch depends on the demand.

The Beatles Mono-Box in 2009 was also limited (rumored initial 10,000 copies): [www.beatlesbible.com] ....

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: December 1, 2016 22:50

@Irix

It look very very low for such a box which has been promoted widely Worldwide, i bet for a mistake...

HMN

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: December 2, 2016 07:58

DEmerson
Interesting read - thanks! A bit 'techy' but those that are into that I think will really enjoy it. I've been looking at grabbing this box set (on CD) quite a bit recently - looks like I need to make the jump.

The CD set is not a limited edition. No need to rush if you are worried about it being sold out... But the vinyl set is said to be limited.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: December 2, 2016 12:55

I bought this Vynil Mono Set yesterday.

So far, I've heard "The Rolling Stones" and "The Rolling Stones n°2".

I have several versions of their 60's albums, in CD, LP, SACD, etc.

This Set is, by far, the best sounding version of their work from the 1960's.

By far.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: December 2, 2016 16:27

When they talk about '1,000' made, I too would guess that might be for just the vinyl. Just ordered the CD box off EBay ($100 - got a decent deal). Looking forward to digging into it!

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: December 2, 2016 20:18

So, if I read the article correctly, except for SFD, BB & LIB Monos are simply fold-downs much like the Mono promo 45 b-sides thru the early 80s?

This, if true, seems to de-bunk the CW that the BB and LIB Mono mixes were somehow"special" due to the band's involvement.

Any thoughts?

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: December 3, 2016 00:00

DEmerson
When they talk about '1,000' made, I too would guess that might be for just the vinyl. Just ordered the CD box off EBay ($100 - got a decent deal). Looking forward to digging into it!
Hope your decent deal is not like this
[iorr.org]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1891
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home