Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4041424344454647484950...LastNext
Current Page: 45 of 67
Re: Mick Jagger solo works
Date: June 20, 2017 20:47

De gustibus non est disputandum indeed.

Date: June 20, 2017 21:01

Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
stone4ever
I agree HMS, it is like a grain of sand compared to the body of work Mick has achieved with the Stones.
I would also like Doxa to review keith's three solo albums again in more detail along with some of Keith's live performances he did to showcase TIC and MO.
Its not my place to start a thread but i think Keith and Ronnie also deserve a thread on their solo careers.

Don't forget Bill's solo output...before and after leaving the Stones. Some might disagree, but overall I prefer it to Mick's solo career.
And why is it not your place to start a thread on Keith or Ronnie?
I say DO IT!!! thumbs up

Ronnie has made the best solo albums anyway.

After Keith's solo albums, I would agree.
They all deserve their own thread...even Charlie and his Jazz recordings!

Ronnie has released 4 excellent solo albums (IGMOATD, NO, SOT and IFLP) - Keith has 2, imo (TIC and CH)

That's open for debate and a matter of opinion. Ronnie's albums are inconsistent imo, though they do have some fine moments.
I'd happily take TIC or CH alone vs. all of Ronnie's solo albums. Probably best if this debate was in a Ronnie or a Keith thread though, but hard to argue against someone's personal opinion anyways - nobody's wrong.

Of course. I meant to add "in my opinion" smiling smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 21, 2017 01:15

matxil
HMS
44 pages about the most superfluous solo-career-attempt in rock-history, not bad smoking smiley

thumbs up

yeah, it must be odd that there exists such a thing as a Mick Jagger dedicated thread in a site dedicated to the Rolling Stones. Thankfully and naturally (sarcasm included), most of the posts in this way too long thread are presenting anti-Jagger-feelings as it should be in a way to show one's true dedicition to authentic, loyal Keith Richards fanhood or stubborn idiocy (to repeat the same @#$%& thing again and again that asks some sort of pervertism),

When reading all these anti-Jagger sentiments it makes one feel (a) if Jagger has @#$%& all the old ladies all these sweethearts have (not likely), (b) if Jagger has confused the sexuality all these 'straight' sweathearts (more likely), (c) people just don't have nothing else to do since and because (d) they never have really understood what the Rolling Stones is all about (most likely). Stick to your guitar, babe, think you are some bloody Robert Johnson, think you are some authentic Muddy Waters or Chuck Berry, dress some gypsy clothes, but, honey, it's always been much more that that!

I don't really know, just guessing. But the amount of some people here are expressing their ANTI-feelings towards the one musican that is very much reason the whole band exits in the whole place goes beyond any reasonable thinking (in a site dedicated to the Rolling Stones). Yeah, one can be critical, but what what happens here - by the gentlemants like matxil, Hairball, stones4ever, etc - is just basically showing their negative stance anything Jagger-related and seemingly defending their supposed true hero Richards - which makes me think if this is some sort of Just Bieber site people needing to show their "colors" every @#$%& instance if possible. Who has the bloody biggest penis? (Which is to say; this whole Jagger vs. Richards controversy exits because of 'Keith people' - for them it is always so damn important to make the controversy to defend their hero)) Yeah, we know, you don't like Jagger, but does that always to be repeated again and again. Saying the SAME SAME SAME @#$%& same thing again and again. It's not just expressing an opinion (don't give me that childish democratic rhetorics), it is just more like provoking some @#$%& agenda.

Sometimes I really wonder if the people here are actually adult or why one needs to act so childish?. Is the bad spirit purposeful? My probable mistake is that I actually take people as adult-like in their own opinions and their ability to cope with differing opinions. Yeah, like Dandie and many others might say I was once critical (= not agreeing wih the consensus) of Keith's solo album a year or two ago, but I don't think my opinion is such important that every bloody instance needed to be downplay Jagger because "Doxa bashed CROSSSEYED HEART" (or, if one likes, LIFE, or some other of Keith's doings in the last couple of years)

Can't you gentlemen - for some reason, it is only question of gents here, not ladies - really see you how @#$%& tiresome you are with your the same and old Jagger bashings? Yes, we have heard that, it's more predictable than any Stones set list, thank you. Have you anything else to say? Something novel? Something to rethink, maybe?

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-21 01:22 by Doxa.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 21, 2017 01:25

Go Doxa ....

....while ya at it ya should read the Blue & Lonesome repeated bashings....

ROCKMAN

Date: June 21, 2017 01:34

By the way, greetings from Nellcote. Just saw the bloody gate, and they didn't let me in, those bastards. But I hear that the album was already finished, so who cares...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-21 01:38 by Doxa.

Date: June 21, 2017 01:35

Watch where ya treading .....

ROCKMAN

Date: June 21, 2017 01:58

Exactly, Rockie, exactly...

But for the question why this thread has lasted some 45 pages, and see no end, I guess the simple answer is that, while the focus go as free-going as is it suits to best IORR fashion, there is some actual substance in the discussion, and not least to Rockie's great quotes and clips to inspire some further speculation...

- Doxa

Date: June 21, 2017 02:01

....I'm still searching doxa.... I'll find a couple more soon ... well I hope I do

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 21, 2017 02:31

Why has this thread gone on for 45+ pages?
Because it's Mick F*king Jagger for crying out loud!!!

Odd though that the thread title is about his "solo works"...thought that might have only lasted about five pages or less. winking smiley

Lots of twists and turns and it's turned out to be a thread for the ages! thumbs up

Date: June 21, 2017 02:31

Rockman
Go Doxa ....

....while ya at it ya should read the Blue & Lonesome repeated bashings....

Aaah. BLUE & LONESOME is one of those albums one just forgets one's brains and just let it go... the more one loves the originals, the more one loves Stones' covers; they go in one token. A great current showcase how lively, vibrant genre Chicago blues once was. No one else could have reproduced the true feeling of that devil music again better than the Stones (no one else have I guess that kind of access, no matter how indirect it is, to the the original source, that of really understanding why that music makes the difference, and not just being 'just another kind kind of textbook genre' or an act of 'true purism' etc.)) And the Stones sounding more like the Stones for ages. And them doing that that speaks volumes. A marvellous album.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-21 02:33 by Doxa.

Date: June 21, 2017 02:46

Doxa
Yeah, one can be critical, but what what happens here - by the gentlemants like matxil, Hairball, stones4ever, etc - is just basically showing their negative stance anything Jagger

Oh jeez....here we go a again with the condescending attitude. confused smiley
Sorry your feelings are hurt, but wonder why you seem to take it as a personal attack on you?
It's like you've been backed in to a corner and now you lash out again in an irrational fashion, when it's just a thread about Mick Jagger. WTF?
You seem to be the only one who flips out over this, and one wonders if there might be something deeper and darker going on in your head?

Doxa
Can't you gentlemen - for some reason, it is only question of gents here, not ladies - really see you how @#$%& tiresome you are with your the same and old Jagger bashings? Yes, we have heard that, it's more predictable than any Stones set list, thank you. Have you anything else to say? Something novel? Something to rethink, maybe?

Oh ok I see now - you've now taken it upon yourself to be the moderator.

eye rolling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-21 02:52 by Hairball.

Date: June 21, 2017 02:48

I think one lesson what one can hear from listening BLUE & LONESOME is that how modern rock music was so naturally born out of Chicago blues. There is not many albums pointing out the bridge so clearly. The album explains a lot, more than their early records actually do, how much there is that kind of music in their original music, in the very DNA of it. It has that retrospective feel they early cover albums didn't have. At the time they did their first albums, based mostly on covers and whatever, they didn't know what was about to come. But with BLUE & LONESOME they, after accomplished everything and more, they sound so Rolling Stones - you hear there the band who made the Big Four, who did anything - and you hear from where it really all come from. You take the fancy clothing away, all that supposed and - justifically - praised 'originality', and you hear the band in its bare bones - that of in BLUE & LONESOME. THere is so much magic in the ear that goes beyond words. Da Stones, man... Someone surely can plqy the blues better than the Stones for sure, but noone else can make that bad-arse bastard version of it to move the bloody mountains. Kids, son't even try that at home...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-21 02:51 by Doxa.

Date: June 21, 2017 03:06

Hairball
Doxa
Yeah, one can be critical, but what what happens here - by the gentlemants like matxil, Hairball, stones4ever, etc - is just basically showing their negative stance anything Jagger

Sorry your feelings are hurt, but wonder why you seem to take it as a personal attack on you?
It's like you've been backed in to a corner and now you lash out again in an irrational fashion, when it's just a thread about Mick Jagger. WTF?
You seem to be the only one who flips out over this, and one wonders if there might be something deeper and darker going on in your head?

Doxa

eye rolling smiley

Once you came up with real rational arguments, I could try to say something, would I able or not. Now you just sound little boy lost, with your weak ad hominem attacks. Sorry.

Try once read actually what I say. And say if if you really have anything to say. If you really want to talk in such a rational vocabulary as you seem to imply (and accusing me being irrational).

- Doxa

Date: June 21, 2017 03:14

Doxa
Hairball
Doxa

Doxa

eye rolling smiley

Once you came up with real rational arguments, I could try to say something, would I able or not. Now you just sound little boy lost, with your weak ad hominem attacks. Sorry.

Try once read actually what I say. And say if if you really have anything to say. If you really want to talk in such a rational vocabulary as you seem to imply (and accusing me being irrational).

- Doxa

Never mind Doxa - don't want to get in a personal argument with you.
You can keep up with your name dropping, name calling, and scolding with your hoiler than thou attitude if it makes you feel better.
Seems you tend to pick up on something that is long a thing of the past, and reignite it all again - either out of boredom or some agenda you have.
The exaggerating and implications you conjure up and pin on various members of this site are quite unusual and frankly quite bizarre, and it's something I prefer not to be involved with.

Date: June 21, 2017 03:28

It is very hard to discuss, not to name argue, with you Hairball, because you actually never say anything, no matter how much you talk. But the amount of you analyzing me whatever one-cent-psychological-bullshitt is actually impressive. I guess i need to consult my therapist.

It is people like you and your kind of Keith Richards-fanatics that have make this site very unpleasent place to discuss anything anymore. I guess it started around the release of Keith's solo album about two years ago. There is a really bad vibe these days, and since then, and everytime when I try to contribute something I ask from myself 'why to bother'.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-21 03:30 by Doxa.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 21, 2017 03:47

First day of summer, let's feast and get in
'Trouble' Keith Richards 2015 Crosseyed Heart
[m.youtube.com]
We'll rebel w/ Keith on the Mick solo,
Keith keeping a Stones song.
First 3-4 times this song made my heart drop when Jagger wasn't there/
stood me up.
But I'm jamming to it ----

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-21 03:48 by 35love.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: June 21, 2017 03:50

Doxa
It is very hard to discuss, not to name argue, with you Hairball, because you actually never say anything, no matter how much you talk. But the amount of you analyzing me whatever one-cent-psychological-bullshitt is actually impressive. I guess i need to consult my therapist.

It is people like you and your kind of Keith Richards-fanatics that have make this site very unpleasent place to discuss anything anymore. I guess it started around the release of Keith's solo album about two years ago. There is a really bad vibe these days, and since then, and everytime when I try to contribute something I ask from myself 'why to bother'.

- Doxa

With posts like this one could easily stretch this or any other thread up to 500 pages...

Seems as if the vibes of Nellcote doesn't fit to everybody...

Date: June 21, 2017 04:21

And to continue my rant - what else there is really to say any longer? That I love or hate some damn DIRTY WORK or not? - it is exactly because of all these Keith Richards people - call them whatever you want, I have named a few - and the atmosphere these people lay every @#$%& thread in this site that I have reduced all my sayings to this only very thread and the one discussing a new Stones album. Since this is a Jagger thread I thought some of the Richards people might a bit hold their horses. But yeah, I know I know it is stupid to even think so. 'Hey look at "Let's Work" - isn't that bloody horrible!'', "YES YES YES". "KEEF KEEF KEEF!"

I used to like very much this site I and I have written quite a lot here along the years. So many great contributors, so much insights to share. Now it feels like it is just me and some people adoring Keith's farth these days 'discussing' here. "Keith is genuine", "I loathe Mick".. Oh jeez...

Actually I do understand why all the people did 'go'. What I don't, is that why I haven't. Damn, to name one (of many), I miss Proud Mary, my lovely Russian 'neighbour'. Actually much what I write I write her in my mind, as a potential audience. I know she doesn't like all the things I say about Jagger, but I am sure she sees my true intentions, to be, I hope, fair and true. And I really respect the man.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-21 04:38 by Doxa.

Date: June 21, 2017 04:30

shortfatfanny
Doxa

- Doxa

With posts like this one could easily stretch this or any other thread up to 500 pages...

Seems as if the vibes of Nellcote doesn't fit to everybody...

Nothing wrong with Nellcote or with The Rolling Stones, but I suggest that the vibes of IORR doesn't fit to everybody...

- Doxa

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 21, 2017 05:24

Hey Doxa, I AM on your Mick side. In fact, it's embarrassing and I need to tone it down.
You look, you'll see, I am Mick Jagger loyal. Alone on the Taylor Swift duet thread, etc. etc.
Summer cerveza or lemonade all round now smileys with beer

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 21, 2017 06:10

as a general rule:
[s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-21 06:16 by hopkins.

Date: June 21, 2017 10:23

Doxa

- Doxa

Cheer up Doxa..."You shouldn't take it so hard". thumbs up

Date: June 21, 2017 10:24

35love
Hey Doxa, I AM on your Mick side. In fact, it's embarrassing and I need to tone it down.
You look, you'll see, I am Mick Jagger loyal. Alone on the Taylor Swift duet thread, etc. etc.
Summer cerveza or lemonade all round now smileys with beer

I was on the barricades right with you for the Taylor Swits-duet! I thought it was very good, and didn't mind how it looked smiling smiley

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: June 21, 2017 11:25

Doxa

- Doxa

Although I didn't read you latest novel, I appreciate your stamina. Keep them coming Doxa!

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: June 21, 2017 11:31

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
stone4ever
I agree HMS, it is like a grain of sand compared to the body of work Mick has achieved with the Stones.
I would also like Doxa to review keith's three solo albums again in more detail along with some of Keith's live performances he did to showcase TIC and MO.
Its not my place to start a thread but i think Keith and Ronnie also deserve a thread on their solo careers.

Don't forget Bill's solo output...before and after leaving the Stones. Some might disagree, but overall I prefer it to Mick's solo career.
I say DO IT!!! thumbs up

Really? Maybe it's the most constant. But I find them a bit too predictable, too obvious. They are never really bad, but they don't have much surprises either. He does a great version of Seven Days though.

And no, I also don't think Bill's output is better than Mick's. "Si si, je suis un rock star" is Bill's "Let's Work". Probably both were written with a tongue in cheek, but still hard to listen to. I tried listening to Bill's last album, and although I liked his "single" ("When, Where, What" - or something like that), I found the rest real bland.

Date: June 21, 2017 11:40

matxil
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
stone4ever

I say DO IT!!! thumbs up

Really? Maybe it's the most constant. But I find them a bit too predictable, too obvious. They are never really bad, but they don't have much surprises either. He does a great version of Seven Days though.

And no, I also don't think Bill's output is better than Mick's. "Si si, je suis un rock star" is Bill's "Let's Work". Probably both were written with a tongue in cheek, but still hard to listen to. I tried listening to Bill's last album, and although I liked his "single" ("When, Where, What" - or something like that), I found the rest real bland.

Predictable? What's predictable about IGMOATD, Now Look, Slide On This or I Feel Like Playing? They're all over the place musically and stylistically. A well of sounds, a fountain of rock, blues, soul, funk and rhythm and blues.

The consistent factor is within the high quality of the songs, imo. His other albums are a bit too uneven for me, but those four... God, they're great albums!

Ronnie had help, though, making those albums. But that is no crime, it's smart.

But I agree, let's elaborate on this is another thread.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 21, 2017 11:46

matxil
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
stone4ever

I say DO IT!!! thumbs up

I was thinking Willie and the Poorboys, but not sure if that could be considered purely a Wyman solo album - it's more of a super group and a bunch of covers, but formed by Bill and really good imo.

Willie and the Poor Boys

Date: June 21, 2017 11:52

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: June 21, 2017 11:58

matxil
Doxa

- Doxa

Although I didn't read you latest novel, I appreciate your stamina. Keep them coming Doxa!

His ‘novels’ are nothing but the unintelligible ramblings of a violently opinionated man speaking in a foreign language. It’s not pretty to read. (He’s also incredibly self-deluded if he thinks his negative review of Keith’s CH prompted others to criticize Jagger’s works.)

Doxa: Please try to be more concise, refrain from calling others 'honey,' and reduce the number of references to your magnificent self. Many thanks.

Date: June 21, 2017 12:02

Let's start with "Sympathy for the Devil."
I think that was taken from an old idea of Baudelaire's, I think, but I could be wrong. Sometimes when I look at my Baudelaire books, I can't see it in there. But it was an idea I got from French writing. And I just took a couple of lines and expanded on it. I wrote it as sort of like a Bob Dylan song. And you can see it in this movie Godard shot called Sympathy for the Devil [originally titled One Plus One,] which is very fortuitous, because Godard wanted to do a film of us in the studio. I mean, it would never happen now, to get someone as interesting as Godard. And stuffy.

We just happened to be recording that song. We could have been recording "My Obsession." But it was "Sympathy for the Devil," and it became the track that we used.

You wrote that song.
Uh-huh.

So that's a wholly Mick Jagger song.
Uh-huh. I mean, Keith suggested that we do it in another rhythm, so that's how bands help you.

Were you trying to put out a specific philosophical message here? You know, you're singing, "Just as every cop is a criminal and all the sinners saints"...
Yeah, there's all these attractions of opposites and turning things upside down.

When you were writing it, did you conceive of it as this grand work?
I knew it was something good, 'cause I would just keep banging away at it until the @#$%& band recorded it.

There was resistance to it?
No, there wasn't any resistance. It was just that I knew that I wanted to do it and get it down. And I hadn't written a lot of songs on my own, so you have to teach it. When you write songs, you have to like them yourself first, but then you have to make everyone else like them, because you can force them to play it, but you can't force them to like it. And if they like it, they'll do a much better job than if they're just playing 'cause they feel they're obligated.

They get inspired.
And then you get inspired, and that's what being in a band's about rather than hiring people. But I knew it was a good song. You just have this feeling. It had its poetic beginning, and then it had historic references and then philosophical jottings and so on. It's all very well to write that in verse, but to make it into a pop song is something different. Especially in England – you're skewered on the altar of pop culture if you become pretentious.

The song has a very strong opening: "Please allow me to introduce myself." And then it's this Everyman figure in history who keeps appearing from the beginning of civilization.
Yeah, it's a very long historical figure – the figures of evil and figures of good – so it is a tremendously long trail he's made as personified in this piece.

What else makes this song so powerful?
It has a very hypnotic groove, a samba, which has a tremendous hypnotic power, rather like good dance music. It doesn't speed up or slow down. It keeps this constant groove. Plus, the actual samba rhythm is a great one to sing on, but it's also got some other suggestions in it, an undercurrent of being primitive – because it is a primitive African, South American, Afro-whatever-you-call-that rhythm. So to white people, it has a very sinister thing about it.

But forgetting the cultural colors, it is a very good vehicle for producing a powerful piece. It becomes less pretentious because it's a very unpretentious groove. If it had been done as a ballad, it wouldn't have been as good.

Mick Jagger -- Jann Wenner 1995

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4041424344454647484950...LastNext
Current Page: 45 of 67

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1653
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home