Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3536373839404142434445...LastNext
Current Page: 40 of 67
Re: Mick Jagger solo works
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 8, 2017 01:55

This should put the cat amongst the pigeons ...............hhhhaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 8, 2017 06:26

Rockman

This should put the cat amongst the pigeons ...............hhhhaaaaaa

wow that is some first-class fellating on mr wenner's part.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 8, 2017 06:36

Wow...almost makes you want to throw up a little bit.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 8, 2017 07:17

Terrible review.

Insulting, really. Absolutely insulting.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 8, 2017 08:01

Wow, I have never read that 'famous' five star Jenner review before.... Incredible... well, it is typical that every Stones product is hailed by the press, and especially by ROLLING STONE, with no any critical stance since the 80's but that tops of it all... Since Jagger kicked out ROLLING STONE people out of 1978 tour for the harsh critics of SOME GIRLS, then to be re-reviewed by Jenner himself, Jenner's seemingly been a yes-man. But still, that goes over the top...grinning smiley

Reminds me of the boys praising of CROSSEYED HEART here in its thread... But editor Jenner supposed to be a bit.. hmm.. objective.. than the boys in fansite.. But ends up being a king Mickette if anyone ever is...>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Date: June 8, 2017 08:22

Since Crosseyed Heart keeps being brought up here, for those who are interested here's a reminder of some of the published reviews for perspective.

"Crosseyed Heart was met with positive reviews from music critics. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics,
the album has received an average score of 76, based on 19 reviews, indicating "generally favourable reviews"

See all 22 Reviews of Crosseyed Heart

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-08 08:24 by Hairball.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: June 8, 2017 08:51

Doxa
Wow, I have never read that 'famous' five star Jenner review before.... Incredible... well, it is typical that every Stones product is hailed by the press, and especially by ROLLING STONE, with no any critical stance since the 80's but that tops of it all... Since Jagger kicked out ROLLING STONE people out of 1978 tour for the harsh critics of SOME GIRLS, then to be re-reviewed by Jenner himself, Jenner's seemingly been a yes-man. But still, that goes over the top...grinning smiley

Reminds me of the boys praising of CROSSEYED HEART here in its thread... But editor Jenner supposed to be a bit.. hmm.. objective.. than the boys in fansite.. But ends up being a king Mickette if anyone ever is...>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

That's why I never trust reviews. Many tell more about the reviewer than about the music. Anyway, music moves me - or it does not move me. No review can change that. It's just that it's sometimes nice to read a review that reflects one's own feelings about the the music. Then again, the very same music may leave others cold. But that has to do with the very nature of music. It's all about feelings. At least for me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-08 08:53 by retired_dog.

Date: June 8, 2017 09:01

Very well said retired_dog - best to form your own opinion and stick with it! thumbs up

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: June 8, 2017 10:04

Doxa

- Doxa

Only difference is Crosseyed Heart really is that good winking smiley

Date: June 8, 2017 10:07

Doxa

- Doxa

Caithlyn Jenner? You've been watching too much of the Kardashians-show again, Doxa! grinning smiley

Date: June 8, 2017 11:56

Interview ...................... January 2002

ROCKMAN

Date: June 8, 2017 13:16

Excellent interview!

Thanks, Rockee thumbs up

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 8, 2017 13:18

DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

Caithlyn Jenner? You've been watching too much of the Kardashians-show again, Doxa! grinning smiley

Haha.. Jann S.Wenner, Caithlyn Jenner, Bruce Jenner... all the same, all the same...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: June 8, 2017 18:47

Not so sure that red suit and red Chuck Taylor Converse sneakers are a good look for Mick! Must have been part of the new hip and young image he was aiming for.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 8, 2017 20:35

Wenner allegedly wrote that review personally after scrapping the original review which was harshly critical.

Date: June 8, 2017 21:05

stone4ever
LongBeachArena72
35love
As a hardcore Stones fan, Mick going solo could have broken up the band.

Again, at the risk of oversimplifying, perhaps this all comes down to whether Mick (or Keith or Bill or whoever) wanted to make a solo album ... or whether he wanted to ditch the Stones in favor of a solo career. I always assumed that unless you quit the band, any solo efforts were just side-projects, designed to keep busy, explore new musical territories, etc. "Going solo" is a loaded term ... and perhaps not an accurate one?

I think you might be over simplifying things there longbeach me old mate.

If i remember rightly Mick had got to the stage where he just couldn't face working with Keith anymore, there were rumors that Keith took to brandishing a gun at Mick when they disagreed about something in the studio. I think Keith became this ego gone mad coke freak in the 80's and Mick just didn't want to work under those circumstances.
I guess why Mick going solo was such a big deal at the time might have been that Stones fans feared it was all over. Mick gave a few interviews stating that he couldn't, wouldn't tour with Keith in the foreseeable future.
I think the 81' 82' tour took its toll on Mick, and Keith was behaving in an impossible way towards Mick on occasion. Perhaps Mick just felt i don't need this shit anymore. I think the Glimmers were Waring during that long exhausting tour and naturally Mick just didn't want to face another tour while he and Keith were not getting on.
Obviously all sympathy from Stones fans went towards the remaining Stones, seeing Mick as some kind of traitor for going solo, but maybe Mick was left with no option, he might have thought to himself , there will have to be some changes before i embark on working with Keith again.
I get the feeling Keith thought it was all over, i think Keith reluctantly pushed himself into a solo album and tour, it wasn't something he particular wanted to do.
As it turned out the long wait for the fans was over by 88' probably and purely down to the fact that Mick 'solo' didn't set the world on fire , it didn't work out for Mick or the army of Stones fans that all wanted to see Mick with Keith.

I also think that Keith's relative solo success had something to do with Mick picking up the phone and making the call to Keith.
Mick just might have been insecure enough to not actually want to go through with this divorce after all.

Well, I'm sure there are elements of truth in all of our various guesses and speculations; how close to the "real" truth are any of us? Who knows? I think that the remark of yours that I've bolded above is probably agreed to by most of us: for better or worse, Mick was the "face" of the band, the most prominent member (at least in the eyes of nearly everyone but hardcore fans), and so any suggestion that he might be "out" would create a heightened level of anxiety about the band's future than, say, Bill's doing a solo album would.

But, getting back to what might have been an original purpose of this thread: I have speculated that the reason for any member of a rock band to even do a solo album would be for that member to stretch him or herself. To try something s/he wouldn't be able to play under the confines of the band. After all, why should Mick or Keith make a record that The Stones could have easily made? What would the point have been?

That's why I guess I have a soft spot in my heart for She's the Boss: its rhythms felt like something the Stones couldn't or wouldn't even attempt and so it made a certain sense to me ... as in, ok, I get it, Mick wanted to make a dance record, so he got Sly and Robbie and the guy from Chic and made a dance record. Whether it was any good or not, or whether people liked it or not was kind of beside the point. Its raison d'etre was that it was music that was inside Mick that couldn't flow out through his normal "channel." Cool. I get that.

I paid less attention to the other 3 solo records because at least at first glance they seemed less ... different from the Stones than She's the Boss was. I know they had lots of different kinds of songs in many different genres on them ... and since I paid less attention to them, my judgement of their contents might very well be limited ... but I guess as his solo "career" went on, it seemed to me that he wasn't doing music that he truly couldn't do with his regular band. And that seemed kind of stupid to me. Maybe if he'd taken the dancefloor vibe of She's the Boss deeper into electronica or house or whatever that would have represented a direction that had more artistic integrity to me. Again, it might not have been any good, but it would have been a musician exploring things he couldn't do on his "day job."

I guess another way of saying it is that Superheavy makes more sense to me as an artistically valid (if ultimately crappy) solo project for Mick than does Goddess in the Doorway.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 8, 2017 21:37

Rocky Dijon
Wenner allegedly wrote that review personally after scrapping the original review which was harshly critical.

Hmm. I'm skeptical, was that put out there after because Wenner took heat for such a positive review? Maybe he did love it. The last sentence
'World, meet Mick Jagger, solo artist' tastes like BS tho.

Anyway, love the interview January 2002, don't think I've seen it b4,
the interviewer did well, thanks for sharing xxoo

P.S. Wenner's long awaited autobiography coming out soon. I preordered it, hope he's nice to MJ.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-08 21:39 by 35love.

Date: June 8, 2017 21:49

LongBeachArena72
stone4ever
LongBeachArena72
35love
As a hardcore Stones fan, Mick going solo could have broken up the band.

Again, at the risk of oversimplifying, perhaps this all comes down to whether Mick (or Keith or Bill or whoever) wanted to make a solo album ... or whether he wanted to ditch the Stones in favor of a solo career. I always assumed that unless you quit the band, any solo efforts were just side-projects, designed to keep busy, explore new musical territories, etc. "Going solo" is a loaded term ... and perhaps not an accurate one?

I think you might be over simplifying things there longbeach me old mate.

If i remember rightly Mick had got to the stage where he just couldn't face working with Keith anymore, there were rumors that Keith took to brandishing a gun at Mick when they disagreed about something in the studio. I think Keith became this ego gone mad coke freak in the 80's and Mick just didn't want to work under those circumstances.
I guess why Mick going solo was such a big deal at the time might have been that Stones fans feared it was all over. Mick gave a few interviews stating that he couldn't, wouldn't tour with Keith in the foreseeable future.
I think the 81' 82' tour took its toll on Mick, and Keith was behaving in an impossible way towards Mick on occasion. Perhaps Mick just felt i don't need this shit anymore. I think the Glimmers were Waring during that long exhausting tour and naturally Mick just didn't want to face another tour while he and Keith were not getting on.
Obviously all sympathy from Stones fans went towards the remaining Stones, seeing Mick as some kind of traitor for going solo, but maybe Mick was left with no option, he might have thought to himself , there will have to be some changes before i embark on working with Keith again.
I get the feeling Keith thought it was all over, i think Keith reluctantly pushed himself into a solo album and tour, it wasn't something he particular wanted to do.
As it turned out the long wait for the fans was over by 88' probably and purely down to the fact that Mick 'solo' didn't set the world on fire , it didn't work out for Mick or the army of Stones fans that all wanted to see Mick with Keith.

I also think that Keith's relative solo success had something to do with Mick picking up the phone and making the call to Keith.
Mick just might have been insecure enough to not actually want to go through with this divorce after all.

Well, I'm sure there are elements of truth in all of our various guesses and speculations; how close to the "real" truth are any of us? Who knows? I think that the remark of yours that I've bolded above is probably agreed to by most of us: for better or worse, Mick was the "face" of the band, the most prominent member (at least in the eyes of nearly everyone but hardcore fans), and so any suggestion that he might be "out" would create a heightened level of anxiety about the band's future than, say, Bill's doing a solo album would.

But, getting back to what might have been an original purpose of this thread: I have speculated that the reason for any member of a rock band to even do a solo album would be for that member to stretch him or herself. To try something s/he wouldn't be able to play under the confines of the band. After all, why should Mick or Keith make a record that The Stones could have easily made? What would the point have been?

That's why I guess I have a soft spot in my heart for She's the Boss: its rhythms felt like something the Stones couldn't or wouldn't even attempt and so it made a certain sense to me ... as in, ok, I get it, Mick wanted to make a dance record, so he got Sly and Robbie and the guy from Chic and made a dance record. Whether it was any good or not, or whether people liked it or not was kind of beside the point. Its raison d'etre was that it was music that was inside Mick that couldn't flow out through his normal "channel." Cool. I get that.

I paid less attention to the other 3 solo records because at least at first glance they seemed less ... different from the Stones than She's the Boss was. I know they had lots of different kinds of songs in many different genres on them ... and since I paid less attention to them, my judgement of their contents might very well be limited ... but I guess as his solo "career" went on, it seemed to me that he wasn't doing music that he truly couldn't do with his regular band. And that seemed kind of stupid to me. Maybe if he'd taken the dancefloor vibe of She's the Boss deeper into electronica or house or whatever that would have represented a direction that had more artistic integrity to me. Again, it might not have been any good, but it would have been a musician exploring things he couldn't do on his "day job."

I guess another way of saying it is that Superheavy makes more sense to me as an artistically valid (if ultimately crappy) solo project for Mick than does Goddess in the Doorway.

Sly and Robbie were all over Undercover as well, though, contributing to the (imo) best tracks.

Date: June 8, 2017 22:02

DandelionPowderman
Sly and Robbie were all over Undercover as well, though, contributing to the (imo) best tracks.

Really? I thought Sly and Robbie were only on one track ("Feel on Baby," which is awful). Sly plays percussion everywhere but I think as a drums/bass lockdown unit they are only one one song, no?

Date: June 8, 2017 22:17

LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman

Really? I thought Sly and Robbie were only on one track ("Feel on Baby," which is awful). Sly plays percussion everywhere but I think as a drums/bass lockdown unit they are only one one song, no?

Try the main single.

And Feel On Baby is excellent, not awful smoking smiley

Sly is on Too Much Blood, too, btw.

How many tracks did they collaborate on on She's The Boss?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-08 22:20 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: June 8, 2017 22:24

DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman

Try the main single.

And Feel On Baby is excellent, not awful smoking smiley

Sly is on Too Much Blood, too, btw.

How many tracks did they collaborate on on She's The Boss?

Yeah, Sly plays on a bunch of tracks. I think they're on 4 or 5 songs on She's the Boss.

And "Feel on Baby" is terrible.

Date: June 8, 2017 22:29

Sly (percussion ++) AND Robbie (bass) play on Undercover (Of The Night).

Date: June 8, 2017 22:34

Sly and Robbie excelled the quality of STB by playing together on the following numbers:

Running Out of Luck", "Just Another Night", "Lucky in Love" and "She's the Boss"

Date: June 9, 2017 00:58

Feel On Baby awful!!!!!! ....AWWWWW come on it's one of
theeee best on Undercover and the 12" dub version will float ya out ....................... to the clouds

From the first time such a crush
Such excitement, such a rush
In the kitchen, in the car
In the ditch, on the dirty floor

Feel on baby
Feel on baby
Feel on baby
............XFX

ROCKMAN

Date: June 9, 2017 01:17

Sly and Robbie were also all over Bob Dylan's Infidels album, but that's for another thread..............

Date: June 9, 2017 01:28

P.S. Wenner's long awaited autobiography coming out soon. I preordered it, hope he's nice to MJ.

He will be .....

ROCKMAN

Date: June 9, 2017 02:21

Rockman
theeee best on Undercover and the 12" dub version will float ya out ....................... to the clouds

Feel on baby
Feel on baby
Feel on baby
............XFX

'orrible!

The Compass Point All Stars were never put to lesser use.

Date: June 9, 2017 02:35

aaaawwwww come on Longbeach loosen man ....
But hey tell us ya top five Sly/Robbie tracks that they play on ...

Gonna take about three four years ta play thru 'em all .... HHHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa We'll wait here

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 9, 2017 02:43

Long Beach isn't interested in anything after TATTOO YOU. Happily, that doesn't stop him from posting in threads about work done after TATTOO YOU. He's like that one friend in line at your wedding reception who tells you it won't last.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: June 9, 2017 02:45

LongBeachArena72
Rockman

Feel on baby
Feel on baby
Feel on baby
............XFX

'orrible!

The Compass Point All Stars were never put to lesser use.

Have to agree here. While I was delighted at first that the Stones were doing Reggae (again), actually listening to Feel On Baby felt like a kind of letdown. The great sound and production cannot hide that it's just not a good song. It just doesn't go anywhere. After some disappointing tracks on Emotional Rescue it was a kind of a deja vu for me: The feeling that I (almost) desperately tried to like something because it was from my favourite band, but failed. The dub version is marginally more interesting, but all in all a dub version of a reggae tune that is simply not a good or even great song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-09 02:47 by retired_dog.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3536373839404142434445...LastNext
Current Page: 40 of 67

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1829
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home