Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4243444546474849505152...LastNext
Current Page: 47 of 67
Re: Mick Jagger solo works
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 22, 2017 10:20

shortfatfanny
GetYerAngie
DandelionPowderman
GetYerAngie
Doxa
And to continue my rant - what else there is really to say any longer? That I love or hate some damn DIRTY WORK or not? - it is exactly because of all these Keith Richards people - call them whatever you want, I have named a few - and the atmosphere these people lay every @#$%& thread in this site that I have reduced all my sayings to this only very thread and the one discussing a new Stones album. Since this is a Jagger thread I thought some of the Richards people might a bit hold their horses. But yeah, I know I know it is stupid to even think so. 'Hey look at "Let's Work" - isn't that bloody horrible!'', "YES YES YES". "KEEF KEEF KEEF!"

I used to like very much this site I and I have written quite a lot here along the years. So many great contributors, so much insights to share. Now it feels like it is just me and some people adoring Keith's farth these days 'discussing' here. "Keith is genuine", "I loathe Mick".. Oh jeez...

Actually I do understand why all the people did 'go'. What I don't, is that why I haven't. Damn, to name one (of many), I miss Proud Mary, my lovely Russian 'neighbour'. Actually much what I write I write her in my mind, as a potential audience. I know she doesn't like all the things I say about Jagger, but I am sure she sees my true intentions, to be, I hope, fair and true. And I really respect the man.

- Doxa

I agree. It's a shame that Proud Mary isn't contributing here anymore and a shame that the keith-camp is so dominating here. Be it that they god knows why loved Crossdressed Fart, but why do they want to destroy this thread with no new arguments, no new analysing, just the same old jaggerbashing? This site gets so onedimensional and boring when people like Proudmary and you, Doxa, do not contribute.

OK, I'll take the bait, because enough is enough. I even wrote a review of Alfie in this thread, for fvcks sake!

Saying that this is a Mick-bashing thread is like seeing ghosts at broad daylight.

In EVERY thread there will be disagreement. Why is that so hard to grasp?

The brutal rudeness and totally unnecessary hostile comments – without exceptions – from proudmary is what you're longing for here? Really? Is that the unbiased and fair vibes you are looking for?? What kind of board do you want here?

When I spend an hour listening to Alfie, and one more to give my honest (and quite positive) review of it, this is what I get?

I understand that this isn't about me in particular, but I'm trying to show how it feels for a poster who wants to contribute, and what one gets in return.

This is a great thread. Anyone who goes to great lengths to say that it is clouded by bad vibes, or try to ruin it, should be ashamed of themselves.

Rant finished!

I just want a board where the Keith camp is less dominating and less thin-skinned.

Now it's getting ridiculous...what about using the complaint and whining thread ?

If that's the criterion, we only need that thread in this site haha...

- Doxa

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: June 22, 2017 10:21

How i perceive Mick solo as an artist and a living legend is so far removed from others on here its intriguing to me.
The way Mick went about his solo ventures was as if he didn't know who he was or what he was,and especially it felt like he had no idea what he had achieved with the Stones.
Did he at that point just think clean living and jogging was the answer to everything. Was he ashamed of what he had done with the Stones, he went from Down In The Hole to Lets Work. The shallow trivial pointlessness of his solo material and delivery of it appeared completely futile, especially on She's The Boss. He went from Undercover Of The Night with its political observations and its sexual undertones to benign gossip in comparison.
This is down to the insecurity of the man. He was too scared to make a statement or be accountable for his material in any way. Without the Stones he behaved like a headless chicken. No direction, no passion, no idea, sure Mick couldn't strip himself of all his genius and a result we have to admit that although the production was cheesy he did manage to pen some good tunes throughout his solo records. Not many though, and they all missed a vital ingredient, confidence !!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-25 00:36 by stone4ever.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 22, 2017 11:23

SOLO TOGETHER; my predicted re-package; someday a marketable compilation of the best of both of them. the label and publishing deals on that one would be a kick.
One LP Two Sides. Or a CD but no so very many as to be a double; something crisp to the point as far as sequencing and selection.

Mother of a Man is pretty good. I might make the cut if I was sequencing; haha or we could make it a double with one CD being Live Tracks. God how I hate giving billionares free ideas tongue sticking out smiley
The temptation is always there for me wonder how it would have went down w Charlie tho; on both of their stuff; the tracks that grab me anyway; like say Memo For Turner leads it off then slams into Eileen, then Don't Tear Me Up into Trouble (and etc...) for example; I mean there's a good album if you took the (arguably) best from their entire solo outputs. Maybe a real good ONE LP. imo anyway. Tho I admit to rather wanting to cut-to-the-chase with them and always seem to end up liking the more 'stonesy' songs from their catalogs. Even the sublime Evening Gown; tho that's pretty perfect as is imo; but still Stonsey. It's got Mick and it's got country soul. It's great that one! And sure of course, it reminds me of truly great Rolling Stones. It's on a waay high level imo, 'bettering' and nailing a lot of Stones tracks. But generally speaking, certainly with exceptions along the way, I end up liking the songs from both of their solo catalogs that sound more directly 'Stonesy.'

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-22 22:40 by hopkins.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: June 22, 2017 12:02

Mick Jagger's solo albums is pop-music. That's fine, he has all the right to make it and Keith was wrong to get so upset about it, but it's pop music. Whereas the Stones at their best were much more than pop music. So is Keith's music, but of course his albums are much less accesible than the Stones.
So it's apples and oranges, you can like both or neither or only one of both or basically prefer the Stones (the latter I think goes for most of us).
As far as pop music goes, I prefer ABBA or Beatles or "Rumours" of Fleetwood Mac, but still, in general I am not interested in pop music. The problem is that - I think - Mick's talents lie much more in groovy soul/rock-n-roll/blues (i.e. Stones) than in pop, which is why his Stones' work is much better than his solo work. Did he take more risks than Keith, as GetHerAngie says? Yes, he did. And I can even sort of understand his need to make things like "Let's Work", just to really do something completely different. Good for him. And I prefer that above his solo-rockers ("Throwaway" and stuff like that) because those are "neither fish nor meat". But do I listen to any of it? Hell, no.

Date: June 22, 2017 13:57

matxil
Mick Jagger's solo albums is pop-music. That's fine, he has all the right to make it and Keith was wrong to get so upset about it, but it's pop music. Whereas the Stones at their best were much more than pop music. So is Keith's music, but of course his albums are much less accesible than the Stones.
So it's apples and oranges, you can like both or neither or only one of both or basically prefer the Stones (the latter I think goes for most of us).
As far as pop music goes, I prefer ABBA or Beatles or "Rumours" of Fleetwood Mac, but still, in general I am not interested in pop music. The problem is that - I think - Mick's talents lie much more in groovy soul/rock-n-roll/blues (i.e. Stones) than in pop, which is why his Stones' work is much better than his solo work. Did he take more risks than Keith, as GetHerAngie says? Yes, he did. And I can even sort of understand his need to make things like "Let's Work", just to really do something completely different. Good for him. And I prefer that above his solo-rockers ("Throwaway" and stuff like that) because those are "neither fish nor meat". But do I listen to any of it? Hell, no.

I have to agree to differ here, Mick refused to tour behind Dirty Work and Undercover, in fact no tour between 82' and 89' Keith had every reason to get upset.

Also i find it hard to recognize that Mick took risks during his solo career, other than to say the music he came out with was risky in the sense it was disappointing. That's not risky that's just uninspiring.

Keith's albums had nothing to do with taking risks, he just did what he does, because that's who he is. I get impression Mick didn't know who he was at this point in his life. Probably the wrong time to go it alone, in fact it was absolutely the wrong time to go solo.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: June 22, 2017 14:16

stone4ever
matxil

I have to agree to differ here, Mick refused to tour behind Dirty Work and Undercover, in fact no tour between 82' and 89' Keith had every reason to get upset.

Also i find it hard to recognize that Mick took risks during his solo career, other than to say the music he came out with was risky in the sense it was disappointing. That's not risky that's just uninspiring.

Keith's albums had nothing to do with taking risks, he just did what he does, because that's who he is. I get impression Mick didn't know who he was at this point in his life. Probably the wrong time to go it alone, in fact it was absolutely the wrong time to go solo.

Well, Keith had some reasons to be upset, sure. But still, in retrospect, it would have been wiser if he'd just let Mick do this separate thing and get it out of his system.
You're right that Keith just did what he did, and that's why I like his solo-albums. There was of course the slight risk of his voice, and I think he grew/evolved very well into a style that fitted his voice best (slow and mid-tempo soul and slow paced rock).
Still, Mick really tried to do something hugely different. I don't know his motives. I don't care. I don't like his stuff, but if he wanted to do it, then he should. And it probably was as good as time as any, clearly the Stones were at a low-point for many reasons, and a change of air did everybody good.

Date: June 22, 2017 15:33

matxil
stone4ever
matxil

Well, Keith had some reasons to be upset, sure. But still, in retrospect, it would have been wiser if he'd just let Mick do this separate thing and get it out of his system.
You're right that Keith just did what he did, and that's why I like his solo-albums. There was of course the slight risk of his voice, and I think he grew/evolved very well into a style that fitted his voice best (slow and mid-tempo soul and slow paced rock).
Still, Mick really tried to do something hugely different. I don't know his motives. I don't care. I don't like his stuff, but if he wanted to do it, then he should. And it probably was as good as time as any, clearly the Stones were at a low-point for many reasons, and a change of air did everybody good.

Yeah some good definitely came out of it, the Stones got back together and started a very long and successful second career, this time actually making some real money from tour after tour. I can't blame them for it, there were no tens of millions in the bank for all their considerable efforts come the late 70's early 80's in comparison to the McCartney's of this world.
But it was never the same , the dynamic changed, an unofficial deal was made after World War 3. Keith happily got to tour the world with his Glimmer twin, but the price Keith unwittingly paid was that he was to be second in command from now on. Keith a yes man, yes i said it !! that's how i view Keith since 89'.
No problem in that either except for mediocre albums and seemingly perpetual Warhorse driven live show's. Way to go Mick !! and shame on you Keith.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-22 15:41 by stone4ever.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 22, 2017 18:30

My no filter review of
Alfie (Soundtrack from the Motion picture) Mick Jagger 2004

I went thru the entire purchased release, 15 songs, 55 minutes.

2 songs were keepers/repeaters/elevating honestly hit it for me.
The rest not, but don't take that personally.

'New York Hustle'
[m.youtube.com]
gorgeous funk and bass, fantastic feel of walking a bustling city street

'Wicked Time'
[m.youtube.com]
oooh yeah THIS this is no white man mid life crisis yuppie Alfie, this is FRESH TODAY and sexy

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 22, 2017 20:59

Swayed1967
... but a real Stones fan has a moral obligation to say ‘Mick Jagger the solo artist sucks rocks.’

This comes as close to anything I've read here to encapsulating the 47 pages of this thread: it is now a moral imperative to reject Mick Jagger's solo work.

Hard to know what to do with that.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 22, 2017 21:10

Swayed1967
And Mick’s solo stuff is basically telling me to go f**k myself, that’s how anti-Stones it sounds.

Lol...makes you wonder if that was Mick's true intentions in trying to break away from being pigeonholed as "just" the singer of the Stones.

Date: June 22, 2017 22:04

LongBeachArena72
Swayed1967
... but a real Stones fan has a moral obligation to say ‘Mick Jagger the solo artist sucks rocks.’

This comes as close to anything I've read here to encapsulating the 47 pages of this thread: it is now a moral imperative to reject Mick Jagger's solo work.

Hard to know what to do with that.

Stop mucking up with the negativity? Find some music that elevates you seek the good. If it's not here, we got that from you already. On a lot of different threads- like the 2017 tour thread, new album thread.

Date: June 22, 2017 22:55

Hey look sorry Longbeach just had a 'get off my cloud' moment
I believe I have concluded my tour here of the Mick Jagger solo thread.
smoking smiley

Date: June 22, 2017 23:18

Hairball
Swayed1967
And Mick’s solo stuff is basically telling me to go f**k myself, that’s how anti-Stones it sounds.

Lol...makes you wonder if that was Mick's true intentions in trying to break away from being pigeonholed as "just" the singer of the Stones.

Trouble is non Stones fans felt Mick was basically telling them to go fvck themselves confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-22 23:19 by stone4ever.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 23, 2017 01:14

LongBeachArena72
So, by way of a quick summation:

Mick's solo records have a few good songs on them and many more crap songs on them.

SHE'S THE BOSS - yes
PRIMITIVE COOL - yes
WANDERING SPIRIT - no
GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY - yes

LongBeachArena72
Mick should never have recorded any solo albums because if he hadn't everything would have been fine and The Rolling Stones would not have released crap albums for the past 35 years.

Impossible to know such a thing. He leaves songs out for the Stones that may be better suited for the Stones but I can't recall anyone claiming any of those to be great songs so it's a moot point, really. Unless your point is Streets Of Love should've been on a Jagger album - then maybe it's agreeable.

LongBeachArena72
The fact that Mick could not exclusively express himself creatively within the confines of The Rolling Stones proves what a small penis he has.

Uh, if you want to think that. Never occurred to me, actually.

Date: June 23, 2017 01:38

35love
smoking smiley

No worries, 35love. I often annoy myself with my constant harping. It's pathetic how I can't quit picking at this scab. I'm a disappointed parent, a jilted lover, a toddler-in-tantrum. I really need to see somebody about this affliction.

In terms of positivity, I do currently love watching with our 3-year-old LARVA, a wordless psychedelic Korean cartoon about the antics that two sewer-dwelling slug-like larvae get up to, and also listening during 3 am feedings of the 2-month-old to 5 different recordings this week of Rachmaninoff's ALL-NIGHT VIGIL because I find it haunting and revelatory. Eventually, I'll find a board where I can enthuse about stuff like that and leave you fine citizens alone.

Date: June 23, 2017 01:57

LongBeachArena72
35love
smoking smiley

No worries, 35love. I often annoy myself with my constant harping. It's pathetic how I can't quit picking at this scab. I'm a disappointed parent, a jilted lover, a toddler-in-tantrum. I really need to see somebody about this affliction.

In terms of positivity, I do currently love watching with our 3-year-old LARVA, a wordless psychedelic Korean cartoon about the antics that two sewer-dwelling slug-like larvae get up to, and also listening during 3 am feedings of the 2-month-old to 5 different recordings this week of Rachmaninoff's ALL-NIGHT VIGIL because I find it haunting and revelatory. Eventually, I'll find a board where I can enthuse about stuff like that and leave you fine citizens alone.

I'm way past this point in my parenting. Now I subscribe to positive affirmation/ feel good today follows to force the happy thoughts into my head.
xxoo

Date: June 23, 2017 02:13

35love
LongBeachArena72
35love
smoking smiley

I'm way past this point in my parenting. Now I subscribe to positive affirmation/ feel good today follows to force the happy thoughts into my head.
xxoo

I have two adult daughters who mostly hate my guts; hoping for an at least slightly different result this time around.

Date: June 23, 2017 04:36

35love
My no filter review of
Alfie (Soundtrack from the Motion picture) Mick Jagger 2004

I went thru the entire purchased release, 15 songs, 55 minutes.

2 songs were keepers/repeaters/elevating honestly hit it for me.
The rest not, but don't take that personally.

'New York Hustle'
[m.youtube.com]
gorgeous funk and bass, fantastic feel of walking a bustling city street

'Wicked Time'
[m.youtube.com]

oooh yeah THIS this is no white man mid life crisis yuppie Alfie, this is FRESH TODAY and sexy

What's it all about, Alfie?
Love to see Mick out and about looking great!
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Date: June 23, 2017 11:20

<Streets Of Love should've been on a Jagger album - then maybe it's agreeable.>

It was, but it was called Brand New Set Of Rules..

Date: June 23, 2017 12:15

LongBeachArena72
35love
LongBeachArena72
35love
smoking smiley

xxoo

I have two adult daughters who mostly hate my guts; hoping for an at least slightly different result this time around.

Oh don't worry LB that's what children do when they reach a certain age.
My two son's do a good impression of hating me too winking smiley
I'm sure they love us deep down smiling smiley

Date: June 23, 2017 16:30

stone4ever
LongBeachArena72
35love
LongBeachArena72
35love
smoking smiley

xxoo

Oh don't worry LB that's what children do when they reach a certain age.
My two son's do a good impression of hating me too winking smiley
I'm sure they love us deep down smiling smiley

I'm actually beginning to think that perhaps their antipathy toward their papa is a sign of good mental health! Well, it's a nice thing to think, at any rate.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 23, 2017 18:31

Talking about Mick's solo works, Fnac (in France) has a special edition of Performance containing the movie and a companion book that might be of interest for the collectors.

[video.fnac.com]

Date: June 24, 2017 00:08

Cancel, sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-24 00:56 by 35love.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 24, 2017 03:03

...faggy little leather boy w a smaller piece of stick...
jaggers lyrics and 'performance' in this film and on the soundtrack were of earth-shaking interest and importance to me; I loved it, and still think it's an excellent film, even a brave one; very gritty and shitty; i don't care how crazy that cat was who put it together; he had a vision and executed it; it's a complex film w a lot of layers; he got incredible performances out of non-actors. Mick is perfect here and deserves endless praise. Memo to Turner STILL tears my head off; the soundtrack version only frankly. hee hee Jim Morrison portrait on the wall of Turner's place...i love that film for so many reasons. And I still listen to Turner very regularly; sometimes watching the clip; outrageous; scary even; genuinely. tuff stuff. hot stuff. all that and more. James Fox walked a very line between sanity and other himself I think, before this was all over. Fascinating; grueling; hard core stuff; done beautifully...

whoa and the personal sub-text real-life dramas with Anita, who left Brian for Keith...and maybe for a minute or two, and maybe in a Big way, for the length of a quick affair perhaps, left K for M...
...Which pissed off K, who still, if you read an excerpt from the dictation book, is STILL Pretty pissed about it;
yikes. and K tears Donald Cammel an additional oricice from which to jettison waste product, in that book. Keith was still hot as a pistol about it, well that day anyway.
I guess the sad passing of the spirited and beautiful Anita makes this a little unseemly so I'll stop the personal stuff; but it has been 'written' about pretty ferociously when K got up to bat.
Anyway, I'm usually better at seperating the personalities from the product. This is THE major filmwork Mick has done; and incredible, incredible job on Memo imo. And in every way. Perfect. THere would have been a big hole in my life without that particular movie, band and that particular singer!! really bringing that song to incredible heights of power. A total, total classic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-24 03:13 by hopkins.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 24, 2017 03:08

Talking about Mick's solo works, Fnac (in France) has a special edition of Performance containing the movie and a companion book that might be of interest for the collectors.

Thanks Cristiano .... I'm sure I read recently that there was a deluxe
Bluray of Performance coming soon ..... yeah Hopkins one Massive addictive film .....

ROCKMAN

Date: June 24, 2017 03:11

hopkins
...faggy little leather boy w a smaller piece of stick...
jaggers lyrics and 'performance' in this film and on the soundtrack were of earth-shaking interest and importance to me; I loved it, and still think it's an excellent film, even a brave one; very gritty and shitty; i don't care how crazy that cat was who put it together; he had a vision and executed it; it's a complex film w a lot of layers; he got incredible performances out of non-actors. Mick is perfect here and deserves endless praise. Memo to Turner STILL tears my head off; the soundtrack version only frankly. hee hee Jim Morrison portrait on the wall of Turner's place...i love that film for so many reasons. And I still listen to Turner very regularly; sometimes watching the clip; outrageous; scary even; genuinely. tuff stuff. hot stuff. all that and more. James Fox walked a very line between sanity and other himself I think, before this was all over. Fascinating; grueling; hard core stuff; done beautifully...

Utterly fantastic track. I dig the soundtrack version and the orig Winwood version. If Mick were ever to go solo, he shoulda done it around the time of "memo from turner"--when he could arguably have crafted a separate identity for himself while at the peak of his creative powers. We woulda missed out on some pretty good Stones music, though ...

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: June 25, 2017 00:03

Every time i open this site,it,s the same people talking bullshit about Jagger,always the Keith asslickers band.
So tired to read all the bullshit who,s coming from the same people all the time.
Childish stupid people,age of these people has to be up till 12 years old

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: June 25, 2017 00:24

harlem shuffle
Every time i open this site,it,s the same people talking bullshit about Jagger,always the Keith asslickers band.
So tired to read all the bullshit who,s coming from the same people all the time.
Childish stupid people,age of these people has to be up till 12 years old

That is really sad...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 25, 2017 00:42

Maybe this thread should have been titled "Praise, worship, and holy devotion for Mick Jagger solo works".
Might have kept out some of the riff raff.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: June 25, 2017 00:47

Hairball
Maybe this thread should have been titled "Praise, worship, and holy devotion for Mick Jagger solo works".
Might have kept out some of the riff raff.

Isn't Riff Raff an old AC/DC track...?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4243444546474849505152...LastNext
Current Page: 47 of 67

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1769
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home